[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: proxy-image.jpg (86 KB, 1087x734)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
What do I need to measure and register lens+camera resolution? What's the procedure here? I have several different video cameras that were bought at wildly different times, they all have different lenses and the resultant image sharpness is all over the place. I would like to aproximately measure these properties for easier comparison and camera matching. Help me /p/.
>>
1) nobody cares

2) camera matching is such a retarded thing basically everyone just buys a few copies of the same model
>>
>>4320758
Eliminate variability in everything except for what you want to test. Test everythinf the exact same. Review. Done.
>>
>>4320778
This nigga is probably trying to match his gopro with his Canon rebel with his Sony powersshot thinking that even if he manages to get the colors in the same ballparks people aren't gonna notice everything else
>>
You need to peep the pixels. All of them
>>
OP here
found software called MTF mapper, seems promising. Has anyone tried it?
>>4320775
That's not my case, because the cameras were bought over a 10 year period, with each a few years in between.
>>4320808
Getting colors right is easy. I'm more concerned about matching sharpness.
>>4320816
will do
>>
>>4322451
>matching sharpness
there's no way to do it unless if you downsample everything down to one common resolution first
even if your cameras all output 1080i for example, your best bet is to soften everything to match your softest camera. of course you can add sharpening but that can only hide so much before being visibly oversharpened.
>>
>>4322528
My idea is to plot the sharpness across different focal lengths and apertures and then see which ones get close enough and use those when possible.
There are other tricks too, in case that's not satisfactory enough.
Different output formats differ in sharpness, i.e. 1080p is sharper than 1080i as cameras apply a low pass filter to reduce field shimmer. I can also try 1440i/1440p and 720p.
Additionally, cameras have detail adjustment settings, that when turned down actually start to soften the image beyond what the camera actually captures. All without having to change the output format. If we go the other way and increase the detail added, it's possible to make it bold enough that it will become visually more dominant than the fine detail we usually notice for sharpness, this could help to bring the sharpness look more uniform across different cameras.
>>
bump
>>
>>4322552
interlaced will always have less detail than progressive, just look at the vertical resolution of a 1080i video after you separate the fields into frames (hint:its gonna be half as tall).
If you have a great deinterlacer, you will still have objectively less quality video than if you shot progressive ( whether you or anyone can ever notice it in motion is a different thing) , but you will not have noticeable artifacts as you described ( shimmering, combing, etc) as long as you deinterlace it before everything else.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.