[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: DSCF1920.jpg (1.84 MB, 4608x3456)
1.84 MB
1.84 MB JPG
I know someone selling a canon r5 for cheap, how can I see if it's stolen before I buy it?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeFUJIFILM
Camera ModelFinePix XP120 XP121 XP125
Camera SoftwareDigital Camera FinePix XP120 XP121 XP125 Ver1.00
Maximum Lens Aperturef/3.9
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2024:05:26 16:27:58
Exposure Time1/320 sec
F-Numberf/3.9
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/3.9
Brightness7.6 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length5.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width4608
Image Height3456
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>4320777
>how can I see if it's stolen before I buy it?
why does this matter? Just enjoy a sweet deal, the poor sucker that got pinched can cry about it.
>>
Not buying the camera isn't going to return it to its rightful owner. Don't lose sleep over this.
>>
>>4320777
Ask them to provide you with the serial numbers on camera and lens. If they don't want to it is surely stolen.
>>
>>4320781
>>4320787
receiving stolen property is a crime (if you knew it was stolen)
hehe just don't take any reasonable steps to find out, after all a reasonable person wouldn't suspect that every person he does business with is a potential thief (teehee!)
>>
>>4320806
I don't think the seller himself stole it, but where it came from before is questionable. Just don't want to have the cam taken by the cops and be out the money.
>>
>>4320777
If it's a decent camera or lens the original owner may have registered the product.
I'm just thinking off the top of my head, you may be able to trace it that way?

Although they can just say they bought it used off someone else....

There's really no real way to find out. It sucks, but enjoy the spoils of plunder I guess?
>>
>>4320777
don't get found out.
remove the EXIF data from any photos you might take with the camera and noone will know
>>
>>4320777
Charger, battery, box.
>>
>>4320777
Ask the seller to send a pic of the camera in their hands. Look at hands.
>>
>>4320885
Best advice.
>>
Canons write camera serials to exif and there are bots that scrape social media to look for cameras reported stolen

Interestingly sony cameras do not do this
>>
>>4320885
Protip: it’s not just racism, this is how ebay sellers communicate that their shit is hot and they’ll take low offers. I have never not gotten 25-50% off with sellers that disclose their hands in the listing photos.
>>
>>4320791
That's not true. I would never give out my equipment serial numbers to potential buyers and none of my stuff is stolen.
>>
>>4320777
if a nigger is using it
>>
>>4320885
>>4320894
Oh I thought they were just idiots / bad at taking photos for having their hands in the pictures

>>4320910
this is /p/ not a /pol/ humor thread pls keep things separate good sir so I can enjoy things one board at a time in the morning and not have em all mashed together
>>
>>4320895
Give them back, asshole.
>>
>>4320777

Give it back Jamal
>>
>>4320894
like, hands at all, or black hands?
>>
>>4321720
Not white, basically. An old white boomer might have his hands in the shot because he's just an oblivious boomer.
>>
How cheap are we talking? Sometimes deals can be had for many legitimate reasons without it being shady. The R5MKII is probably soon to be released so maybe the seller is just unloading, expecting them to lose value, maybe someone died and their relatives are just quickly selling it, not knowing of any flaws etc or how to use it so they just want to get rid of it. Some rich people also don't give a f and just want to convert stuff to cash quickly instead of giving it away, valuing their time more than anything.
>>
>>4320777
just ask why they’re selling it and if its stolen. their reaction should be enough. if you really want to confirm it, call the cops every time you want to buy a camera and report it as stolen property and then let them do an investigation, after its all done if the camera isnt stolen you can buy it.
>>
File: 1667540227736387.gif (38 KB, 399x369)
38 KB
38 KB GIF
>>4322769
>Thinks the cops are going to give the slightest fuck about a possible stolen camera
>>
>>4320777

Box = Safe
No box, no manual, just camera with strap with SD inside = Not Safe
>>
>buy camera
>comes with SD card
>last photo is of a black man sprinting towards the camera
>>
File: 6433.jpg (269 KB, 750x498)
269 KB
269 KB JPG
>>4323177
Kek, this. I lived in the city years ago and was woken up one night by a stolen car crashing into several other cars and then the tree next to our driveway. Cops showed up, tow truck arrived and took the car away. They didn't even knock. I heard them discussing it. Driver got away.

That morning, I went outside and found beer bottles thrown in the bush beside my door, and a few more on my neighbor's lawn along with a bag of clothes. Could see strong, greasy fingerprints on the bottles just by eye. Called the cops and told them, they didn't care and told me to throw them out. According to the news the person wasn't identified or caught. Cops are government workers, therefore lazy as fuck.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
>>
>>4320943
>sir
do the needful madam
>>
So I bought the camera, total noob here with actually photography and not just phone fagging. It's an r5 and I have the following lenses:

50mm f 1.4
16-35mm f 2.8
24-105mm f 1.4
70-100mm f 2.8

I am a total retard when it comes to this stuff, so how do I choose which one to use when our practicing?
>>
>>4324053
Post a picture of the camera
Also take a picture with the camera and post it
>>
>>4324066
Yes and post the serial numbers just in case.
>>
>>4320777
how to care if its stolen??
>>
>>4324053
It doesn't really matter which lens, getting practice is the point. Just make sure you go to a neighborhood with lots of diversity and make sure they all see that you have an expensive camera and lens around your neck.
>>
>>4324203
Lol, thankfully I live in America. I've drawn my gun on more than a few nigs in my life.
>>
>>4320894
What do you typically buy on ebay?
>>
>>4320777
https://www.stolencamerafinder.com/
Ask them for a few test shots. Serial no. in the exif. Bonus points if it includes location coordinates so you can just go there and steal it for yourself.
>>
>>4320791
this. easy enough

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.