[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: intro-1654286079.jpg (123 KB, 780x438)
123 KB
123 KB JPG
What setups are you guys running for your editing needs, photo and/or video?
It's time I upgraded my old-ish laptop but option paralysis is killing me, I just want to edit without waiting for anything or feeling the heat of 1000 suns.
are Laptops good enough these days or is a build the best (and most future-proof) way?
be interested to hear thoughts on monitors too.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width5988
Image Height3369
>>
File: IMG_7563.jpg (1.48 MB, 4032x3024)
1.48 MB
1.48 MB JPG
Don’t mind me, plug and play it just works so I can spend more time on the content and less on building the thing
>>
I'm probably going to get laughed at but my Dell Latitude E6520 I built in 2014 with i7-2960XM and 16gb RAM, 1tb SSD and backlit keyboard, with both extended battery and slice battery, has been chugging along just fine.

I am contemplating an upgrade at some point likely to a Thinkpad P-series.
>>
Macbook Pro M1 Max, 64GB/2TB config, connected to a LG Ultrafine 4K JOLED via Caldigit TS3, OWC Thunderbay 4 for storage. Very happy with it.
>>
>>4323804
If you're too retarded to figure out how to build the right PC just get a mac
>>
>>4323804
It's not that complicated anon. What's your budget. Whatever you do get 64gb of ram. I can very easily use 32gb with a few 24mp raws in photoshop. But if you don't mind having a ton of stuff open at once you can go with 32
>>
File: IMG_9891_v1.jpg (136 KB, 1024x683)
136 KB
136 KB JPG
CPU is king. More threads generally = quicker anything with post processing.

Laptop could do fine, but you'll be getting less overall power per dollar. Cons are you'll be burning through battery very quickly, and will end up being slower as soon as it thermal throttles. A desktop would ensure you can upgrade easily, and have much more control over its heat output.

For reference, I have a modern 6c/12t that leaves nothing really to be desired. Cost $300 (Dollarydoos). Unless you're doing it all day as a pro, in that case you want higher core/thread counts as far as your budget allows. Don't neglect RAM, as anon mentioned, you want 32GB at least. Could perhaps struggle along with 16GB but you'd be kneecapping yourself.

You're also going to want a good monitor. I'm less knowledgeable about this, but you'll want a HDR monitor if you're doing HDR content, and you want something that has an excellent coverage of the sRGB colour gamut. Fuck AdobeRBG unless every single part of your process accounts for that (it won't).

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS R50
Camera SoftwaredigiKam-8.3.0
Firmware VersionFirmware Version 1.1.0
Lens NameEF50mm f/1.8 STM
Image Width1024
Image Height683
Horizontal Resolution350 dpi
Vertical Resolution350 dpi
Image Created2024:06:11 14:22:48
Exposure Time1/250 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating1600
Lens Aperturef/2.8
Exposure Bias0 EV
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length50.00 mm
Image Width1024
Image Height683
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
GPS StatusUnknown
Exposure ModeManual
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModeEvaluative
SharpnessUnknown
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeUnknown
Focus ModeUnknown
Drive ModeSingle
Flash ModeOff
Compression SettingFine
Macro ModeNormal
Subject Distance0.730 m
White BalanceAuto
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed288
Color Matrix33
>>
File: speccy.png (183 KB, 1248x999)
183 KB
183 KB PNG
>>4323804

CPU is an I9-12900K
>>
File: PCBuild.jpg (1.37 MB, 1920x1080)
1.37 MB
1.37 MB JPG
>>4323804
i7 13700K clocked at 5.6ghz P cores, 4.5ghz E cores
32gb DDR5 @ 5600mhz
3080 ti GPU
850w PSU
360mm AIO
15.5tb total storage

Display is a 43" Aorus monitor. Took a bit to get the calibration right, but G2G now. Perfect for large before/after viewing.

In lightroom classic, the enhanced Denoise function takes about 10 seconds. I understand it's a bit slower on Apple products.

Equipment Makesamsung
Camera ModelSM-G996U
Camera SoftwareGIMP 2.10.32
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.8
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)26 mm
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2023:02:05 20:38:15
Exposure Time1/30 sec
F-Numberf/1.8
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating640
Lens Aperturef/1.8
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeSpot
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length5.40 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width4032
Image Height2268
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Unique Image IDR12QSMF00SM
>>
>>4323804
Any competent pc made in the last ~5 years can run lightroom just fine as long as it has enough ram. This means either rubbing two braincells together to upgrade a used optiplex you got for peanuts or paying $400 above base price for an optioned out Mac Mini.
In the end the amount of money you spend on a monitor matters far, far more once you are over 16gb of ram.
>>
>>4324208
Just remember- Lightroom Classic can and will utilize all your CPU cores and your GPU to speed up operations. Mackbooks were taking 20 minutes to run denoise when it was released. Real computers...significantly faster.
>>
>>4324204

Now post it mid video editing, no way it keeps those temperatures.
I also have this cpu, it pumps out so much heat even with the big 3 fan all in one water coolers. Hears your entire room.
>>
5800x
48gb ram
3080ti
Asus creator mobo
Rme fireface soundcard
34" oled monitor
2 x 2tb nvme
Silversonic psu
Custom water-cooling loop for CPU & GPU with 280 & 360mm rads and d5 pump, completely silent 95% of the time.
>>
>>4324204
Damn I remember the days when I was cutting holes in the sides of computer cased and cramming small desk fans in there to cool down my overclocked cpu just to make sof graphics better.
>>
Photos are whatever, use what sugar uses you'll be fine.
For video you want the bestest of the best CPU and as much ram as possible, GPU is whatever, it'll bring down render times if u get a good one but thats about it.
Oh and SSD's are so necessary.

t. ex-film student
>>
File: Computer 6.13.24.png (122 KB, 1705x656)
122 KB
122 KB PNG
If you're not hitting 100c in Lightroom with at least one of your 24 cores, you're not doing it right.
>>
>>4324832
This is the setup I've been looking at. maybe a 4070 instead
>>
>>4324832
it's only that hot because you're using intelaviv
>>
>>4323807
>less on building the thing
Putting a pc together takes a couple hours, absolute maximum. It's legos, you're just plugging things into slots.
>>
>>4324969
Please understand, the average mac customer would take weeks and a few trips to in-person tech support to put together a basic PC, and then months trying to unfuck their immediately spyware infested winshit home edition install.

They are not computers for the kind of person that can slap together a tower and install IOT enterprise in less than an evening despite having no prior experience. These guys struggle just to learn photoshop and when they finally get into "design" everything they shit out is rote and derivative. Definitely artists of the "employable" type. Ok laptops tho.

>inb4 poor
I found where you bought your mac, king
https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/financing
>>
this old one i use most of stuff

bus B85-PRO GAMER
memory 2x 8GiB DIMM DDR3 Synchronous 1600 MHz (0,6 ns)
processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz
display Ellesmere [Radeon RX 470/480/570/570X/580/580X/590]
input HyperX Alloy FPS Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
generic CanoScan
input USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse
multimedia 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset High Definition Audio Controller
network 82557/8/9/0/1 Ethernet Pro 100
storage 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family 6-port SATA Controller 1 [AHCI mode]
power To Be Filled By O.E.M.

captcha <<<PY42
>>
>>4323867
>doesnt even mention GPU
lol
>>
>>4323804
Computer Scientist and /g/entooman who's been building his own computers since age 12 here. I'm not editing anymore, but I can tell you to get something with as many cores and as much ram and vram as possible. Doesn't have to be brand spanking new, something like this does the job: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFdmYnr5fEM
If that's too much hassle, >>4323807 has got you covered, not even joking.

I'll proceed to rate your shitboxes now.

>>4323813
>Dell Latitude E6520 I built in 2014 with i7-2960XM and 16gb RAM
Old but SOVL
>>4323830
>Macbook Pro M1 Max, 64GB/2TB config
It's ok
>>4324198
>>4324204
>>4324832
>Nu-Intel
>Few, fast cores
Go back to your gaymen, this is a men only AMD (All-Mighty Dick) world
>>4324620
>Not 5950X
It's 300 bux Anon ...
>>4325013
It's fine if it fits in your budget. Maybe check out the link above.

Captcha: TARNN
>>
>>4327745
OP here, I ordered a pc today but I'm not building it myself. i would fuck it up.
quick overview of specs:
i9 14900k
64gb corsair dominator platinum
16gb 4070 Ti Super
iCue H150i - i just liked the little screen
2tb Samsung evo m.2 & 4tb seagate hdd

been re-reading this thread a few times whilst switching back and forth between several options. so thanks guys, I guess. unless I fucked up, in which case fuck all of you.
>>
>>4327758
>unless I fucked up
>14900K
You did. You fucked up bad. You caved into peer pressure and bought a Gaming CPU instead of something with lots of cores.
https://gamersnexus.net/cpus/best-cpus-2023-intel-vs-amd-gaming-video-editing-budget-biggest-disappointment
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/5717vs5031/Intel-i9-14900K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-9-7950X
>14900K
>60813 in Multi-threaded
vs
>7950X
>62856 in Multi-threaded
passmark is admittedly a synthetic benchmark, but editing is one of the very few benchmarks that translates 1:1 to synthetic benchmarks. Also, the 14900K has just 8 fuckhueg cores, the other 8 cores a puny efficient cores. The 7950X has 16 fuckhueg cores.
>64gb corsair dominator platinum
WHY. Just get some G.Skill. It's literally the same RAM chips underneath but costs half as much. If you do not plan on manually overclocking your RAM, don't buy corsair dominators.
>16gb 4070 Ti Super
Only good pull in this setup
>iCue H150i - i just liked the little screen
Get the Arctic Liquid Freezer III 280 instead. Arctic makes the thickest radiators. The 14900K is almost impossible to cool, good luck trying to cool that SOB with a radiator thinner than a durex ultra sensitive.
>2tb Samsung evo m.2 & 4tb seagate hdd
Make that an 980 PRO.
Up to 4TB HDDs: WD
Over 4TB HDDs: Seagate
Also, is the HDD CMR? If it is SMR and edit off of it, you'll hate your PC's guts.

Overall 2/10 PC. You've overspent on unnecessary bling bling and under-spent where it really matters. If you can cancel the order, CANCEL IT, and then head over to >>>/g/pcbg and tell them you need a wprkstation. Or drop me kik or discord or something and I can set something up for you.
>>
if you want a low cost hardware calibratable screen then > LG 27UP85NP-W

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8t6s28

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7900 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor ($369.00 @ B&H) || balance between core count, performance per core and power draw
Motherboard: MSI PRO B650-S WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard ($139.00 @ MSI) || enough expandablity
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($219.99 @ Amazon) || low latency bulk ram
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($94.95 @ Amazon) || fast cache for previews
Storage: Seagate Exos X20 18 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive ($315.00 @ Amazon) || storage go burr ... you can add up to four of these bad boys in the future (also think of Microsoft storage spaces)
Video Card: MSI VENTUS 2X BLACK OC GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16 GB Video Card ($449.99 @ B&H) || VRAM and compute for GPU based noise correction
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox NR600 (w/o ODD) ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Amazon) || get something that can fit all the components
Power Supply: Cooler Master XG850 Plus 850 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($145.99 @ Amazon) || This gets the job done
Monitor: Dell G3223Q 32.0" 3840 x 2160 144 Hz Monitor ($589.99 @ B&H) || I personally use both the monitors - somehow I like this more than the LG one.
Keyboard: Cherry STREAM Wired Slim Keyboard ($22.75 @ Amazon) || you don't need a fancy mechanical keyboard
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder V3 Wired Optical Mouse ($58.73 @ Amazon) || you absolutely need this precision of a beast for fine editing
Total: $2495.38
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-06-22 09:00 EDT-0400
>>
>>4323807
Based productivity focused user
>>
>>4327758
Have some faith in yo-self nigga.

That being said anon above is right in that you've kind of fucked some money off into some less relevant areas. I should have been more specific when talking about threads, because Intel is a goy and uses pathetic E(fficiency) cores that aren't very good to inflate their thread count. So even though thats a 24 thread(?) cpu, it's aids in comparison to an AMD cpu which actually give you proper cores and threads. That's on us, goyem, since one anons should have brought that up. 14900k isn't a slouch per se, but not the most cost effective use of your budget.

Rest of the hardware looks alright in terms of capability, but you've thrown some bennies down on useless shit like a screen for your AIO instead of a thicker radiator. I hope your room as good ventilation because you've basically got a space heater as a CPU.

If your Seagate HDD is a Baracuda (green label) you've got what's called an SMR HardDisk. They're shit. Basically their only use is for storing files for cheaper than the CMR equiv. at a slugish read/write speed; bottlenecks hard the second you start doing any significant actiivity. If you bought an IronWolf (red wolf label), that's CMR and is significantly better. I can't remember if Seagate make any other HDDs these days. Skyhawk I think, but that's also shit IIRC.

Don't feel too bad anon, but yes, if you can cancel and revise that build with some more specific help, you'll get a better performing machine.
>>
>>4323804
>laptop
Unironically a gaymen laptop like Razer Blade is your best bet.
Last years version is currently on sale.
>peesee
Anything not ancient will do, depending on what you need (not want).
My 3700X GTX1080Ti 32GB does everything I need. Used parts/builds in that range are incredibly cheap and readily available.
>>
>>4328004
>>4327764
ok, thanks guys. I can easily cancel
so, is the i9 1400k just a write off for non-gaming usage then? the 7950x just smokes it in all regards? or would it be salvageable with better cooling? it's hard to believe that intel's latest gen i9 has absolutely nothing on the competition...
and yep, seagate ironwolf, 990 pro ssd. If I didn't despise apple with a passion i'd understand why people just go that route.
>>
File: everythingsfine.jpg (54 KB, 800x857)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>>4328134
14900k. eurgh
>>
>>4328134
Both of those will be way overkill for editing photos. You will see a benefit if you do a lot of compression/decompression of your files. Most photo editing programs Lightroom/Capture One/Photoshop/whatever only use about ~8 cores max so anything over that is wasted on photo editing. But having extra cores or threads to handle background tasks can be a good idea if you want max performance.

I use a 12700k and I kind of feel like it's overkill. But it has decent performance per watt. Which is another problem with the top tier parts. They are usually way worse in power to performance and require bigger cooling solutions, so you'd be wasting money on several fronts.
>>
>>4323804
get a mac and just get the job over with.
>I need to play games!
what are you, a child?
>>
>>4328157
>i need a computer that can be expanded, repaired and upgraded instead of just replaced while applelcuck prays apple will add the thing he wants, rationalizes that no one needs it, and keeps on consooming
>>
>>4323804
I think the Framework laptops look pretty appealing for photo editing. The available processors should be more than good enough. Low power. The only downside is the displays are not 10 bit and they don't currently offer an OLED display. I think that combined with a good external monitor is likely going to be my next editing setup.

I currently use a PC I originally built for gaming, but I haven't played games in a few years.
>>
>>4328169
I wish apple wasn't like this. Their M stuff looks really cool. I'd love to have something like an m2 mac mini. Compact and power efficient. But the inability to do basic things like upgrade ram and storage is just a deal breaker. I actively want off windows, it's garbage but Apple isn't providing a better alternative, which is impressive considering how shit windows is.
>>
>>4328173
>But the inability to do basic things like upgrade ram and storage is just a deal breaker.
The thing is unlike a windows jankbox, you don’t need to. It literally just works. Inb4 pcmasterretards come at me.
>>
>>4328184
>and if it wasnt added you didnt need it and if it could be better you're entitled, autistic, and fat!
Every apple argument ever
>>
>>4328185
There is no argument when you aren’t even discussing the same thing really. This is like what happened in 3D printing recently now that companies are apple-ifying printers. All the early adopter tinkerer types get buttmad because this new printer is meant to be plug and play and they can’t mod it or do anything to it, but it sells like hotcakes because it just works and outperforms the legions of jank diy builds handily while it does. To the people that bought this machine, they couldn’t give less of a shit about housing and modifying. They want what comes out of the machine, fast and in good quality, and not for the machine itself to be a project. So the same with computer ricing.
>>
>>4328192
Enjoy your repair bill oh no wait you will have to buy new who could have guessed
>>
>every pro apple argument is literally and unironically "let me guess, you NEED more?"
>>
>>4328134
Good lad. PC building is a bit of a fucked up art where your main goal is to not piss away most of your budget on what you don't need. Understanding all the components and what = cost effective to you can take a little bit of learning, but honestly I recommend it.

The alternative is a Mac and fuck that.

Head on over to >>>g/pcbg and get a proper component list with autists that know this shit inside out.
>>
Literally anything with an intel core or AMD Ryzen processor can handle images just fine. 16gb is also more than enough for editing photos. It's a really light process compared to video.
>>
>>4328173
Gentoo is calling. Darktable and rawtherapee are just tools to learn.
>>
>>4328291
Unfortunately as functional as they are, they are not yet "good". I use RawTherapee for processing my negatives and it's fine, but Switching over to Capture One immediately highlights the flaws of RT.

I also am not willing to put in the work to learning Linux. I had tried it out and could not figure out basic tasks. I am not a computer enthusiast, I don't enjoy using a computer for it's own sake. it's a tool I use to access other things I enjoy. Learning command prompts to access basic functionality is a non-starter.

Unfortunately as much as there's been a push to make linux more accessible, it's still primary developed for and by computer enthusiasts.
Fundamentally Linux cannot be a consumer operating system as it's core design chafes against that. No consumer wants or needs a platform designed initially around multi-user time sharing.
>>
>>4328291
>compile your color science and lens corrections from source

>>4328506
It's not linux that's the problem. The linux kernel is great. It's GNU. GNU is fucking GARBAGE, and dynamic linking was a massive mistake.

yes that includes gtk as well, emacs, you name it, if you can find GNU in the project it's shit

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.