[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 20240617_223222.jpg (586 KB, 1080x1080)
586 KB
586 KB JPG
With the advent of AI programs like clearview AI and pimeyes, protesters are getting increasingly agitated at photographers with "professional looking" cameras. I recently got my first ever dslr and i just want to go to protests with lots of people and photogaph them. I like historical documentation and think it's important to humanity. Im not selling these photos, merely putting them on my Instagram and flickr (but they can be scraped by ai so the protestors have a point). What do you think will happen to protest photography in the next 10 years? Also yes I'm aware europe has different laws than America and there are lots of aussies and euros on this board , but i want to hear your opinions too. Pic related, a nu leftist Palestine instagram page has decided that their photos are to be shot with a phone and blur everyone , resulting in an ugly dystopian atmosphere that makes the cause seem limp.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationUnknown
>>
>>4326359
In America, in public, they have no expectation of privacy, and you are technically free to photograph anywhere and whoever you’d like. Technically. You actually want to stand up and counter the abuse that they’ll throw with you over it, well that’s up to you. it may be legal, but it won’t stop them from being shitheaps And attacking you or trying to destroy your equipment.
>>
>>4326363
That's a gray area though. Exposure is a tricky subject in photography. I understand people photograph strangers, but you always got to prepare for that one over-zealous Karen whose going to take you to court over an image, and those Karens are more common in areas where photographs are a nuisance, like Los Angeles for example.

Not everyone likes having their picture taken. If you want to know what exposing people with their picture is like, put your name on instead of anonymous.
>>
>>4326369
Retarded idiot.
>>
>>4326373
I don't think you understand anon. Yeah I admit I'm a damn clown, but people should consent to being a clown like me.
>>
>>4326380
Freedom over comfort you stupid bitch.
>>
File: Mishima_Yukio_1970.jpg (499 KB, 1600x2163)
499 KB
499 KB JPG
>>4326363
>>4326369
Im sorry but i think i forgot to mention why im actually asking for opinions. Basically im extroverted enough to where the karens dont bother me and i can defend myself decently, but im trying at the same time to be empathetic to the protester's fear of being caught or blacklisted by the government and labed as extrenists or radicals if clearview scrapes my photos. I personally can't stand bleeding heart liberals squawking about new npc tier moral faggatory every week, but i think hukans should have a right to privacy when it comes to political and personal beliefs. Regular street photos i dont care it's public. But the political nature of protests makes this a legitimate moral dillema for the photographer. Theyre too stupid to cover their faces so they want me to do all the leg work of blurring them and redacting their existence

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Width1600
Image Height2163
>>
>>4326383
Go attend a protest w/ camera and report back!
I'll be waiting for your picture filled thread
>>
When you protest over everything, protesting becomes a meme. Nobody cares anymore.
>>
>>4326390
>Go attend a protest
I'm currently employed
>>
>>4326392
https://youtu.be/t2c-X8HiBng?si=iYHcTtfGrOhnOz7k
>>
>>4326389
> im trying at the same time to be empathetic to the protester's
Gayest fucking shit I’ve ever read on this webzone tbqhwy
>>
>>4326389
just assure them, that you are going to censor anything identifiable and instead of blurring their pictures you use one of those black markers to redact their faces. That looks cool as well
>>
>>4326395

if ur employed so hard you can't do anything else u should prolly be protesting
>>
>>4326445
I'm sure the pavement apes would be totally reasonable and listen to you.
>>
>>4326369
It is not a gray area. First amendment protections for photography in public are pretty clear cut
>>
File: contactbw.jpg (3.86 MB, 5400x2880)
3.86 MB
3.86 MB JPG
>>4326389
just go do it, at most larger protests there will be media / news anyways
protesting in public is to make yourself seen, if someone wants privacy in public, they can cover their face
ive only been karen harassed at one, and it was for thinking i was on the "other side", not for taking pictures
>>
>>4326467
Thanks. You make a lot of sense.
>>
>>4326467
>literal snapshits of people's backs as they stand around or walk in tiny groups
What are you trying to accomplish? They are boring. Just the same old rehashed protests as always with even more generic boring looking Walmart people than decades ago. There's zero artistic value and if your goal is to document you'd be shooting colour. I don't see any value in these at all.
>>
>>4326696
Can wee see your protest images?
>>
File: DSCF0319.jpg (4.19 MB, 2000x2000)
4.19 MB
4.19 MB JPG
thoughts?
>>
>>4326743
Based but too much empty space
>>
>>4326696
it's photojournalism. It should be documented even if it's kinda boring
>>
That's just a very studenty kind of subject. Just a step above from photographing the homeless.

I'm sure it's fine. And people are protesting more than ever but it is an extremely played out genre.
>>
>>4326359
It’s just that as a subject, politics is so… for commoners. Don’t the lower classes have anything better to do with their time, like labor, and get drunk & breed more laborers?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.