[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1718818240956.jpg (424 KB, 2087x2390)
424 KB
424 KB JPG
I recently scored my second ever 35mm rangefinder, a Canon IID off of Yahoo Auctions for steal of a price. I was hoping for it to be a step up from my first rangefinder, a Kodak Signet 35, but it seems like more of a lateral move.
It's a dense brick of a machine, either really well built or well maintained with one of the nicer knob winds I felt and working low speeds in the current year, but I still fail to see where all the emotional rich-person hyperbole surrounding "barnack" cameras comes from just by using it.To me it is literally just "an old rangefinder that feels nice to wind". If that's all there is to it, these cameras seem really overpriced for anyone dumb enough to buy them at ebay prices.
What am I missing here?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width2087
Image Height2390
>>
>>4326914
Maybe try not buying canon overpriced garbage? You should have bought a german made one.
>>
>>4326916
Is this a sour grapes episode?
>>
>Double post oops lmao
>>4326914
Nah thsts all there is to it. I've handled a Leica 3f and it really isnt that much different from any other rangefinder of the era. They set a standard and everyone else copied them and surpassed them in some regards. My Kiev 4M felt nicer and that was the worst version of all Contax the clones.
>>
I wish Canon had kept the "Serenar" name for their lenses like how Nikon kept on using "Nikkor" even today.
>>
>>4326914
>What am I missing here?
The photo you took with it, if any
>>
>>4326967
Still putting my first roll of fujigold 200 through it. Haven't wandered much lately due to a heatwave where I live.
>>
>>4326916
I think a Retina 2 or 3 is probably next on my list.
Maybe a Contax / Early Kiev if I find one opportunistically.
The only working German camera I have presently is a Praktica FX3, need to get the roll I put through that one developed.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.