[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: eyefish_effect.jpg (4.32 MB, 3000x6000)
4.32 MB
4.32 MB JPG
Hey guys, so I'm an amateur street photographer, and I'm trying to achieve a fisheye effect, as you can see.

The matter here is that I can't get the same effect that the Windows Photos app gives to raw wide photos (like the 3rd one). In my attempt, I created the 1st image, but the Photoshop lens correction doesn't achieve the same effect. as it expands the center, unlike the Windows algorithm, and it also loses information from the edges. Plus, the black corners don't blend/blur with the image. How would you guys achieve that effect?

English is not my mother tongue, so please excuse me if I'm not explaining my ideas quite well. I hope you can help/advise me.
>>
>>4332826
buy a real camera with a fish eye lens.

that is it.
>>
>>4332828
easiest n quickest i guess
>>
Getting a genuine fish eye effect is hard because fisheye lenses capture a far greater fov than non-fisheyes at the same focal length. There are lots of cheap fisheye options for many mounts, for example a Pen E-PL7 + Samyang 7.5mm could easily be under $400 if you find a good deal. I'm sure there are older cheaper options you could look into as well.
>>
>>4332826
Adding fake barrel distortion won't make something look like a fisheye lens.
You need to buy an actual fisheye lens if that's the look you want.
>>
Guys, now I can't decide between a circular and a diagonal fisheye. I think I want a diagonal fisheye for this effect?
>>
The Canon EF 8-15mm will give you wild fisheye photos.
>>
>>4332826
>windows photos can handle raw files
Awesome, will save a lot of time
>>
>>4332860
It's been pretty good and fast with RAW sin early win 10, you might have to open the windows app store to download the Microsoft raw viewer pak (it is free).
>>
>>4333136
Windows 10 looks like shit though.
>>
>>4332855
>I think I want a diagonal fisheye for this effect?
You should just post an example image of the look you want to acheive.
>>
>>4333183
This
>>4332826
Doing it digitally will never be satisfactory and you'll lose quality trying to emulate it vs a very short focal length lens..
>>
>>4332855

Go for a Stereographic diagonal.
7artisans have a nice 8mm that's really cheap and you can experiment a lot with it. It's not extremelly sharp but wathever.
>>
>>4332826

Fisheyes use several different mapping functions (i.e. how the reality is projected on the sensor). The lens correction usually use the "imperfect" rectilinear function of each lense (when thos data are available) to compensate for the distortion.

You could teoretically achieve fisheye effects applyng fisheye mapping functions to an undistorted rectilinear projection. The problem is that you will have a limited FOV so no real fisheye look. 100-120° instead of 160-220°.
This is why the software you can find only do the opposite: they apply an inverse fisheye mapping function to a fisheye pic to obtain a rectinilinear projection.

Anyway, there are a lot of problems related to "information density" that in fisheye projections is uneven, so you have problems during the conversion and usually rectified fisheye images have very bad corners.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.