[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_0944.jpg (129 KB, 827x600)
129 KB
129 KB JPG
So, i'm really into the gritty b/w photography of Moriyama, particularly his late 80s ish work but generally a fan of his. I like film but understand it's antiquated nature not necessarily being beginner friendly. Regardless should I just cop any digishit or decent compact film cam(like Olympus M2), in the moriyama spirit or would getting a reliable camera like a ricoh GR serve me better long term? I have bad experience with a Konica Big Mini that just up and died on me. Also how expensive is the process of producing your own film/negatives? If anything putting everything into the post production/negatives would help me better in the long term?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width827
Image Height600
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>4334884
A cheap and fully manual digishitter is a good way to start off. Film isn't really that expensive if you're doing b/w and developing yourself. 35mm or half frame seems ideal for reproducing his style, so you can get a great camera for like 100 bucks.
>>
Get a point and shoot camera that shoots RAW. Moriyama edits both his film and digital photos extensively to get his high contrast look. You won't be satisfied with any SOC images- you need to edit yourself to achieve the right characteristics.
>>
>>4334884
I think he used a really shit Ricoh digital point and shoot zoom for a while too. Just get some junk like that with a working flash and the rest is PhotoShop.
>>
>>4334884
Dude just takes trash photos that somehow work because he captures a "I never stopped playing RapeLay after I turned 14" aesthetic, which makes it inherently more interesting and intriguing than the photos of 99% of people.
So get a trash camera. Search "Ricoh GR" on ebay and take your pick.
>>
>>4334933
>>4334885
Any specific recs/Ricoh GR models? My plan was to go straight to the thrift my next paycheck and get whatever camera they had behind the counter but I do need to learn the inter-specifics in terms of filmspeed and all that
>>
>>4334933
>"I never stopped playing RapeLay after I turned 14"
A man living out all of our dreams, holy gigabased.
>>
>>4334952
The cheapest one. Imagine you are living in the middle of tokyo and struggling to afford rent, cigarettes, and booze simultaneously. If you can not afford a ricoh gr, you will have to get another awful camera. Don't sacrifice your sake budget.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.