[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: ledpanels.jpg (259 KB, 1600x1600)
259 KB
259 KB JPG
Looking to learn about lighting. I'm open for suggestions. I am operating on a low budget. I want mobility too. I shoot more video than I do photos. Are LED panels good or are they a meme?
>>
>>4350609
https://strobist.blogspot.com/
have fun
>>
>>4350610
Thank you
>>
>>4350609
LED panels aren't a meme and are quite awesome, but you should clarify what you mean by mobility as most people wouldn't describe that kit you've pictured as 'mobile'

Godox seems to be the value-friendly brand of choice at the moment for lighting. I don't know what the premium brand is, I'm a cheapskate
>>
>>4350619
I just picked a picture so i'd have something to make a thread with. By mobility: I'm a student at a state school and a film maker by hobby. I don't have much money and I don't work a large crew. One time our plans changed so we had to pack up and go somewhere else to film on the fly.

Why do you say LED panels are awesome?
>>
>>4350632
Because they don't roast the fuck out of the subject, and the CRI is actually pretty good. People who talk about LEDs having shit CRI are generally working with ebay-tier components, but when you look at the LED datasheets from Osram etc the binning info is there, you can get the best of the best if you pay
>>
>>4350634
Gotchya thanks.
>>
any experience with neewer?
>>
>>4351505
Is it actually a brand like Godox or is it just a label that gets slapped on OEM crap that comes from five different suppliers, would be my first question
>>
>>4351519
Most likely just a label if I had to take a wild guess.
>>
>>4350609
We teach Studio Lighting at my University. It's two classes that must be taken in order in your Soph year, so you have Junior & Sr yr to practice and get graded in your finals. Those classes are the hardest classes in te entire Art school. Physics, math, lens design, light design, rigging, materials, styles history, practice, post proc, before you even get to the creative arena where you can experiment. FML there is a shit ton to lighting.
>>
File: IVISII G2.jpg (502 KB, 1500x1500)
502 KB
502 KB JPG
Mini-LEDs are cool as shit. I got pic related for $70 out of curiosity. Few weeks later I ordered two more. Fits in the back pocket of my jeans, bright as hell, full RGB, several special modes. Great for hiding around the room. I now only use bi-color lights and just bring the LEDs in to add touches of color as necessary.
Get a some atmosphere aerosol and start experimenting with density. Costs maybe $15 for a can, and you can stretch that pretty well if you don't overdo it. You can get a hazer when you have more money if it suits you.
Lighting is only experienced through the lens, so lenses are relevant. See how the same lighting looks with different equipment. Lots of old glass reacts beautifully to light in ways that have been totally engineered out of modern lenses.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width1500
Image Height1500
>>
>>4351505
>>4351519
Godox is solid stuff for decent prices, there's a reason they're popular
90% of the time you'll be well-served buying Godox
take their speedlights for example, sure they aren't weather-sealed but they have all the other features you'd want and are $60 not $600
Neewer is for when you're straight up poverty mode and can't afford Godox
they make some perfectly serviceable stuff (I have a remote trigger from them but it's basically a cable with a button)
but I wouldn't recommend their lights from my experience, shit falls apart if you look at it wrong
>>
>>4351786
Too bad I am not going to your university.
>>4351822
Thanks. Bright enough for the nonsense that I do with my shithead friends?
>>4351992
Good to know about Neewer. Thanks. I like to get something and use it until its totally gone.
>>
>>4350609
>I shoot more video than I do photos
>I am operating on a low budget.
learn to hardware store diy and use practicals until you have enough money for decent lights
>>
>>4352557
Thanks. Halfway there already.
>>
>>4351992
Godox is really good if you spend on flashes that advertise having a color consistency mode. If you do not, they are a step above the sunpak/neewer/etc trash but the color of the light still varies a bit.

I would not buy anything worse than godox. You'll get noticeable color casts depending on the specific batch of chinese crap. Even some older godox products were like this (lmao ad100)
>>
>>4352628
I just use 100 of these for scene lighting and a grey card, should I up my budget? Nothing's caught fire yet.
>>
>>4352730
Those look really useful for some other project I have where LED is being a bit awkward, what are they called?
>>
File: led_module.jpg (224 KB, 800x800)
224 KB
224 KB JPG
>>4352743
That type are called COB led modules, there's a similar type that has three (usually) LEDs

'12V LED module' will usually get you the results you want, there are many types (and of course no consistent manufacturer name lol)

Usually available in warm white, cold white and colours.

The CRI and consistency is of course complete dogshit but they are cheap and will run off 'automotive spec' 12V (i.e. 11-15V) without complaining or melting

They're backed with doublesided tape so you can glue 'em to stuff.
>>
File: 20240826_215946.jpg (2.72 MB, 4000x2252)
2.72 MB
2.72 MB JPG
>>4352753
Thanks. "modules" seems to be the operant word. It's actually the screw holes I'm interested in. I've been using LED strips a lot by cutting them up and resoldering, but it's a PITA

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment Makesamsung
Camera ModelGalaxy S23
Camera SoftwareS911BXXS6CXFE
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.8
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)23 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width4000
Image Height2252
Image OrientationRight-Hand, Top
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2024:08:26 21:59:46
Exposure Time1/100 sec
F-Numberf/1.8
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating320
Lens Aperturef/1.8
Brightness1.7 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length5.40 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width4000
Image Height2252
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Unique Image IDF50XLPE00PM
>>
>>4352757
Yeah the modules will be better for that sort of application, I dislike that sort of tape, the tape with discrete LEDs is okay but that stuff is ass
>>
>>4350609
What's the cheapest single remote strobe setup for me to play around with?
>>
>>4351822
Why it 70...?
>>
>>4355524
anything at all on a long cable.
Failing that it really depends on your system and where you want to shoot.
For indoors with power available, NOTHING will even APPROACH the price, power and versatility of even the cheapest studio light kit, and people practically give these away in the classifieds because they never use them and they take up a tonne of space.
If what you actually want is just a speedlight, then a springy cable from ebay is your best choice for close distances, you'll still get ttl with most systems and even a vintage/low spec matching flash.
Anything else you might have to spend actual money, and at this stage it's best to leapfrom 90's shit like optical/infrared first party options, and go straight to new godox stuff with lithium batteries and radio triggers. Ebay, etc is the best place to buy them, they are chink shit, real retailers also get them from the same chink sellers and add their markup.
>>
>>4355617
thanks

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.