[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 12804_17456.jpg (126 KB, 1240x1000)
126 KB
126 KB JPG
What are your guy's thoughts and experiences with Fomapan? I want to start shooting 35mm film and I'm thinking of using Fomapan 200 as a starter film.
>>
>>4351273
Never used that one, but I use Fuji 200 (the made-in-USA repackaged Kodak Gold 200 type) as my default film stock, as it's pretty cheap here. I find 200 ISO to be a good all around speed for outdoors daytime use, personally.
>>
>>4351273
It curls up like no one's business. I hate it a lot for that one reason.
>>
File: raw0039.jpg (4.98 MB, 3571x2381)
4.98 MB
4.98 MB JPG
its aight

picrel shot with an fe2 at box speed with center weighted metering

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeNikon
Camera ModelLS-2000
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2018 (Windows)
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2023:10:15 18:21:39
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width3571
Image Height2381
>>
>>4351281
forgot to add: developed in rodinal probably 1:100 for an hour
>>
>>4351279
Tap hot water + photo flow your cut negs in a bucket, get 2 sheets of glass from cheap photo frames put them in the water and put the negs between the glass and sandwich flat for 2 minutes in the hot water, then pull the glass out and let it cool down to room temp still sandwiched between the glass, then hang up and dry, perfectly flat negs

>>4351273
I think Foma 400 is more interesting with its red sensitivty. You can shoot it over box speed, or even shoot at 100 and pull dev slightly
>>
>>4351273
If you want to shoot Fomapan at 200, then buy Fomapan 400. Always assume that Fomapan has half the box sensitivity. Except Fomapan 100, which is like 80.
Some people even say that there is only one Fomapan, and box speed is just imaginary, and you just control sensitivity with development time. Take it with a grain of benzotriazole though.
Where I come from is considered the poorfag choice, or a "student film". Which I think is stupid, because it's temperamental, contrasty, hard to get good results with, and just putting off for someone new and less experienced. It was the first and only film I shot for a while and I know that many headaches and hours of troubleshooting could have been saved if I had only spent like 15-20% more on something like Kentmere.
I feel bad putting it down because it's from my neck of the woods (very broadly, but still), but it's just not a great, or easiest to work with material. Though personally I never had issues with excessive curling like that other anon.
FYI Arista Edu Ultra is the same exact stuff, only repackaged; maybe you can get it at a better price if you're really so fixed on using it. But I just saw that it looks like they might be discontinuing it and replacing it with Arista Edu DX, which I'm 99.999% sure is gonna be repackaged Kentmere (going by "made in UK" and published development times). Which is kind of telling.
Oh last thing, if it's about the money, then as always to get best bang for your buck you should get a bulk roll and cut it yourself, then you can get it down to under $4 per roll.
>>
>>4351361
Čecháček?

Which issues were most frequent? I thought it was relatively hardy and easy to use.
>>
>>4351361
>spent like 15-20% more on something like Kentmere.
Europe is a strange place, foma is pricier than Kent here, nothing is cheaper for me than Kentmere400
>>
>>4351382
Such is life living in the current black n white film capital of the world
>>
>>4351361
>poorfag choice
it is
>>4351366
no čecháčci here anon
>>4351382
maybe some behind the curtain deal?
how much is rebranded foma film?
anyways you can order from CZ to anywhere in Europe really
>>
>>4351273
shoot Kentmere if you want to use a cheap b&w film
>>
File: foma-vs-harman.jpg (64 KB, 1280x1080)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>4351386
>>
>>4351384
HA, A PAK ŽE NEJSOU
>>4351386
Buying bulk squashes the price way, way down, it's just a lot of work
>>
>>4351397
Pražák?

FOMA is so cheap it almost makes no sense to bulk load
if my math is correct it's like 150 rolls before you break even if you are buying new
>>
>>4351399
Šumavák

Třicetimetrová role třicet pětky přímo of Fomy je za 1040 + poštovný, to je 16-18 kanistrů. Takže, bez vyvolání, fotka za 1,5 koruny.
>>
>>4351400
>Šumavák
INB4 sousedi
Sušice? Vimperk?

Kaiser střihačka stojí cca 4000 a kazetka tak 90kč
Když to seženeš levně někde na bazoši tak je to samozřejmě nejvíc dirt cheap setup a na barvu stačí koupit roli 5207
>>
>>4351392
>>4351400
>>4351401
what funny language is that, czech? If so it makes sense that its cheaper for you guys
>>
>>4351401
Bruh, Vimperk

Na aukru jsem někdy před rokem sehnal kanystry Fomy 100 a 200 asi za 90 korun, dokonce skoro nový. Teď ještě sehnat věci na domácí vyvolávání...
>>
>>4351405
yes we are both Czech (I think. I'm going by the fact that he is from the national park of Sumava but there is also some German bloke from German Sumava posting here so...)

befoto.cz can ship all over the world for peanuts so you can buy it for the same 110czk per rolll (4.3€) like the rest of us
>>4351406
>50km away
sousedi lmao

prej Foma už balí i normální filmy do těch reusable kanystrů takže by asi nebyl problém vysomrovat někde ve FotoŠkoda nebo Ultralabu kanystry na vyhození
>>
>>4351407
>50km>
Takže Budějice, Klatovy nebo Krumlov?

Ani nevim že tady postuje nějakej Bavorák lol.
>>
>>4351415
hele napiš mi sem na throwaway email
gejzadezo69 (at) gmail.com

jj fotí Křemelnou třeba
>>
about the same price in sweden but I prefer the contrast of foma
>>
>>4351366
>Čecháček?
Nah, Polak from the south, not too far from Cieszyn originally. Like I said it's very broadly "my" area, but now that I live in the US it feels close enough lol.
Happy to see many Czechbros here though!
>Which issues were most frequent? I thought it was relatively hardy and easy to use.
Underexposed and underdeveloped. As a beginner I trusted the published specs and times and kept blaming my equipment, chemicals and process for the negs coming out thin as shit.
And after I adjusted exposure and dev times, they were still too contrasty for my liking. I guess I prefer to have much more latitude in the neg, and dial up contrast and all in post-processing/printing.
>>
>>4351273
400 in rodinal was really grainy and I didn't like it very much. I got better results at 240 or 200. I have never tried Foma "200".

>>4351361
can I get away with bulk loading in a dark bag without a bulk loader or should I just get the bulk loader?
>>
>>4353767
You can do it without a loader absolutely, it’s just more of a pain in the ass but I’ve done it before, you can also load from a full cassette to an empty, and whatever else
>>
>>4353767
Fomapan and Rodinal is a nuclear combination, you either love it or hate it. Personally I think it's the one developer that lets this stock shine - if by shining you mean standing out in SOME way (grain, contrast...). It definitely gives it character beyond being a sad pile of meh as with other boring developers like ID-11.
Try different dilutions too, 1+25, 1+50, even 1+100 stand for 1 hour all give quite markedly different results.
>can I get away with bulk loading in a dark bag without a bulk loader or should I just get the bulk loader?
I can't imagine doing that. How do you measure the right length, how do you manipulate the whole bulk roll in a tight bag, how do you not get your sweat and fingerprints all over everything, how do you put the roll back together and back in the can if you fumble it up and eg. it slips off the spool or something.
I dunno, the other anon said he did it; I never tried but I can think of so many catastrophic scenarios that I am not going to. If you have any blind room (no windows) in your house just do it there at night.
>>
>>4351273
i fuck with fomapan 100. haven't tried any of the others.
>>
>>4351273
>cernobily
is that shit radioactive wtf
>>
>>4353923
No, that's just black (černý) and white (bílý - from proto-Slavic "bě̃lъ").
The Chernobyl you think of is "Černobyl" in Czech. Which is "black" + "grass" (from proto-Slavic "bylь"). Or "mugwort" in English.
This concludes your introductory lesson to Slavic languages.
>>
Pozdrav všetkým českým bratom v tomto vlákne!
>>
>>4354196
drž hubu maďare
>>
>>4354200
Ty svoju otvor, chce sa mi srať.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.