[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: canon.png (443 KB, 1480x490)
443 KB
443 KB PNG
They finally replaced the aging PRO-1000 and whaddaya know.. they didn't make it a tank-based system, but continued with the overpriced cartridge route.
>>
>>4354044
>$1300
>ink set costs about as much
>paper
Yeah printing is a meme
>>
no tanks? no tank you. Fuck you, Canon.
>>
File: DSC_6047.jpg (1.68 MB, 2012x3024)
1.68 MB
1.68 MB JPG
>>4354044
>they didn't make it a tank-based system, but continued with the overpriced cartridge route.
are you retarded? you don't want pigment based ink in a tank system. that would just fuck everything up and clog it to death.
also compared to the smaller pro 200 the ink in the 1000/1100 isn't that horribly expensive. what makes the printer expensive is that it's pigment based and you have to run it at least once a week to not clog up the head. that's also the reason why the printer does that excessive self clean on startup (hint: don't turn off the printer if you can help it - just keep it on in standby)
if you absolutely don't need to have pigment based ink just get a dye ink based 200 pro.
I have both printers and I dont use the 1000 anymore. the 200 does a wonderful job for my use case (mostly black and white prints on heavy matte art paper)
pigment ink is a specialty that has many downsides
/blogpost

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON Z 6_2
Camera SoftwareCapture One 23 Macintosh
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)40 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Exposure Time1/200 sec
F-Numberf/2.0
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating5000
Lens Aperturef/2.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length40.00 mm
Image Width2012
Image Height3024
RenderingCustom
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlHigh Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationHigh
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>4354076
What's the benefit of pigment inks?
>>
>>4354089
dun fade nearly as fast
>>
>>4354089
Like the other guy said, longevity, also more consistent performance with coated paper as the paper is just a substrate (backing layer) for the ink pigments which sit on top of it. Dye inks interface with the paper itself to a greater extent and will have less consistent performance with different papers.

But like the other other man said, they clog like fuck. I’m all for outsourcing printing, because a good printer needs to be run daily to stay consistent. That goes way more for pigment than for dye.
>>
>>4354076
Whats the history stack on that image? The post processing looks nice
>>
>>4354111
I did out source my prints, but over the past five years the cost has doubled. Managed to get a Pro-100 for a good price, yep I go through a set of ink cartridges over about a year, but it still works out cheaper for me. If I lived nearer to a printer (no Postage) I'd still be outsource the printing.
Looking at the new 1100, nicer inks, longer prints (3m over 1.2m) and a grey printer not black, nope I'm not rushing to upgrade.
>>
>>4354089
according to chartfags they will last DECADES OF YEARS or so and B&W is said to look better (though that's pretty subjective because I love dye ink on heavy matte paper b&w prints more than pigment prints)

the thing is dye ink will last a few years too, when you hang it into the sun. when you put it somewhere the sun doesnt shine on it directly you can also get it for decades to last but in the end that's a non-issue because you can always either re-print a faded print or most likely you will have replaced it anyway because it got boring after 2 years

the only thing I like about my 1000 vs 200 is that it can print A2 and that the ink is less expensive in the long run (because it has more ink in a cartridge). everything else the 200 is a way better amateur printer overall

>>4354159
loaded into capture one, +0.59ev, auto-levels

Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1730
Image Height2614
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>4354796
I watched a few videos about the 1100 and my feeling is that it's all just driver magic and not the "new improved inks". IIRC they only added some wax shit to the inks so they won't scratch as easily. the change in color rendition could be simply the canon jew milking cutomers by changing the driver software and essentially selling a 1000 for double the price (i mean even the USB port is the old school 2004 USB printer port instead of USB-C)
>>
File: printing.jpg (19 KB, 532x105)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
Print?

PhotographerChristopher Barzyz
>>
>>4355213
umm... based?
>>
>>4354799
Just got a 200 a few weeks ago and it’s been great so far. I think the only thing I miss from stepping up to the 1000 is the wider print, but that didn’t seem worth the double+ price here. 13” wide is still pretty nice. Only problem is now I’m getting to the point where I just have to print a couple “busy work” 4x6 every couple days to keep the thing working, I find I’m being much more selective about what to print big than I thought I would be. I didn’t research the cost of large paper and shit caught me by surprise lol. I just figured paper would be cheap cause it’s paper.
>>
>>4354076
I think you're the retarded one. Epson has no problem running pigments in their better tank printers. The ET8550 is particularly popular for pigments (and dye sub among other things). Running pigment ink in one of those is about the same cost as dye per print.

>>4354089
Good dye inks like the claria stuff is pretty close in the right application, but generally pigment is more water resistant, more resistant to ozone/uv, more resistant to fading.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.