[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I shoot with a humble canon eos m with a NIKKOR 50mm f/2 vintage lens. It produces this wonderful grain as if shoot on film. However, no auto-focus, plus the filter from NIKKOR to canon eos m lets in light. Does anyone know of any alternative type setups with more capable equipment? I really don't like shooting digital but I think that's because of my ignorance. I love to shoot documentary style and portraits which works so well with this lens but don't know how to recreate it?
>>
>>4355689
Holy kino. Do a photo thread.
>>
File: 240608261.jpg (2.33 MB, 2400x1800)
2.33 MB
2.33 MB JPG
>>4355689
zf is goat for shooting a variety of adapted glass
decently thin filter stack
subject and eye detection in mf with adapted lenses, focus trapping (hold shutter and it fires when focused correctly)
can get adapter that gives your lenses accurate green box focus confirmation and focus direction indicators, or can just get adapter that gives your old MF lenses AF
its become the most effortless mf for me, don't have to focus and recompose or even move focus points around, don't have to use peaking or focus zoom, i just turn the lens until eye turns green

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareCapture One 23 Windows
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Width2400
Image Height1800
>>
>>4355697
Does kino mean good, if so thanks. How do I do a photo thread? of what?
>>
>>4355698
>Paying $2000 because you suck so bad at manually focusing you need a computer to do it for you
"auto manual focus" kek
nikon mirrorless moment

>>4355689
buy an old nikon dslr you like, since nikon mirrorless abandoned f mount, that has a split image+prism focusing screen available so manual focus works as quickly and accurately as it used to
https://www.focusingscreen.com/index.php?cPath=22&osCsid=a3uom4l3eqftatghgl5rtp2dt0

the af-d lenses are also film-like. nikon doesn't support their autofocus on mirrorless (even fucking sony supports their screw drive lenses wtf)
>>
>>4355698
wow yes that definitely looks like the camera. hanks so much!
>>
>>4355702
it lets me manual focus quicker, more accurately, and more reliably
sorry im not a luddite, i don't see friction as a virtue
>>
>>4355721
thanks for the rec, don't worry im no luddite either, the days of romanticising unassisted manual focus is over.
>>
>>4355721
I don't see paying $2000 to be bad at something as a virtue

For people who are bad at manual focus, you can buy a $500 camera with great autofocus
>>
>>4355700
yes. they're asking you to dump your nice photos here.
>>
>>4355697
>>4355728
>>
>>4355728
>>4355697
>>
>>4355726
>I don't see paying $2000 to be bad at something as a virtue
using tools to be more efficient doesn't mean you are bad at something, a marathon runner choosing to use a new sneaker doesn't mean they are bad at running, f1 drivers must suck so much since they have to use such fancy cars
anyone that has to use a split prism like suggested here >>4355702 must also be just as bad at mf if that's the case, but maybe you're just bad at mf too?
>>
>>4355738
>f1 drivers must suck so much since they have to use such fancy cars
the only fancy thng f1 cars have is aero. rest of the kit is purposefully obsolete-ish.
>>
>>4355738
>f1 drivers must suck so much since they have to use such fancy cars
f1 banned good automatic transmissions lol
>split prisms are for being bad at MF
they're actually for low resolution viewfinders that don't provide sufficient acuity to see if something is in focus. if you don't use a prism, just mirror to focusing screen, you see a much sharper image and don't need one.
>>
>>4355697
>>4355728
putting them together like this, im thinking I might call these 'shepherds takes a break' I took these on the banks of the rio sabor in the trap-os-montes, northern Portugal. this picture was taken just after i heard bells ringing. I looked over and saw the pastor walking to us with his flock of sheep and two dogs bobby (pictured) and rex.
>>
>>4355742
There's a movie called "Zinzindurrunkarratz". If you can find playing anywhere near you, it might be worth a screening.
>>
These are very good. Soulful, rather intimate portraits.

As for advice I can only tell you from personal experience to avoid new Canon cameras at the moment.
>>
>>4355743
wow thanks for the recommendation.this looks beautiful.
>>
>>4355744
thanks for the kind words. I like them too I just dont know what to do with them. are there places that accept this. kind of stuff?
>>
>>4355740
>you see a much sharper image
sounds like more more cope for being bad at mf, if they were good at mf, they wouldn't need a sharper image
>>
>>4355747
alright stop now
>>
>>4355747
>if they were good at mf, they wouldn't need a sharper image
yeah, that's where you finally ditch SLR slop and zone focus :^)
>>
>>4355752
exactly, unmarked lenses too, distance by feel
the highest form of mf skill is to become a human range finder
>>
>>4355745
no problem, it looks like something you'd enjoy. ignore the anon bickering about focusing, and the other two feeding them.
>>
>>4355689
the bokeh is absolutely stroke inducing
>>
>>4355770
t. gay nigger from outer space
>>
>>4355770
haha yeah the Lens is lovely. I actually bought it on recommendation of zeek on youtube who mods the eos m with magic lantern to shoot cinematic video
>>
>>4355781
sounds like a valuable member of society
>>
>>4355689
>I love to shoot documentary style and portraits which works so well with this lens but don't know how to recreate it?
I don't see anything in your pics that you couldn't recreate in post with any modern APS-C or FF camera. In my books the EOS M is a modern sensor. Either learn AF (literally just buy an old 50/1.8 EF mount lens for your M) and enjoy your increased productivity or go the Leica route if MF is somehow part of your creative process (I used to think it was part of mine but it was really a cope)

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.