[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Expect some downtime in the next few minutes for upgrades!

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: First Person Woman.jpg (193 KB, 380x1089)
193 KB
193 KB JPG
I'm requesting recommendations for good photobooks that include writing by the photographer themselves. I've been renting some from the national library recently. Very few of them were edited or written by the photographer. I find this very odd. Seems too hands-off. Looking for examples of work where the photographer was just as capable of writing, editing and publishing as they were of taking photos.
>>
>>4356632
Start by reading 19th century books on photography. Read Henry Peach Robinson's essays and letters. Check out Photography the Whole story for history of photography

>Looking for examples of work where the photographer was just as capable of writing, editing and publishing as they were of taking photos.
Daido Moriyana's Hunter, Robert Frank's Lines of my Hand, Masahisa Fukase's Ravens, Larry Sultan' s photobooksŲŒ Robert Admas' photobooks, look into Provoke photography collective, look into Shomei Tomatsu's books, Alec Soth's books etc.
>>
>>4356632
I have noticed that photography because it's a visual medium photographers have not much to say. Whatever they want to say, it is present in their photography. So it's kinda futile to read what they have to say.

Sometimes I get the impression that even photographers don't even trust the ability of photography to communicate so that's why they feel the need to explain their work. Robert Adams one time said that if you want me to explain what the photo is about that means I have failed as a photographer.

Whatever you want to know about a photographer you should consult their photos.

If you want text and image photo projects then check out Wright Morris' shit.
>>
>>4356632
Reinhardt Wolfe has some good books if you like architectural stuff.
>>
FUUUUUUUUCK /p/ wiki is fucking dead. There was a cool link which had really lucid writings and interviews of photographers on photography.

Fuck fagdom wiki. They've dropped /lit/ wiki too

A whole era is lost down in the shitter. I hate life
>>
File: FPS_WON.jpg (786 KB, 1048x1785)
786 KB
786 KB JPG
>>4356637
>>4356653
Thanks, very helpful.
>>4356650
>Whatever you want to know about a photographer you should consult their photos.
I'd like to publish a book of my own work. Not going to argue the merit of my photography here. It's something I'd like to do. You can't put only images in a book. There has to be titles, formatting, etc. I'm trying to get an idea of what a photobook should be, because I've never really looked at any. All I can find at the library are retrospectives written by fanboys and art critics about someone. I'm not making any ruling on whether that is something to do, however it's not an appropriate model for my first book.
>>
File: 1700445535458972.jpg (171 KB, 1080x1350)
171 KB
171 KB JPG
>>4356632
>>4356664
nice braphog
>>
Also find a copy of Omnibus which is written about Weston and contains a lot of quotes from him.

And speaking of Weston >>4356664 are those 5x7 film holders I see?
>>
>>4356632
>>4356664
How does the homely fat chick relate to your posts at all?
>>
>>4356713
She's a professional model whose picture I happen to have taken.
>>4356706
Thanks, I'll take a look. No, they're 4x5.
>>
>>4356722
>professional model
Grim
>>
>>4356722
Are you UV anon?
>>
Mike Brodie - A Period of Juvenile Prosperity
I love the afterword of this book so fucking much
>>
>>4357132
Post it here
>>
>>4357132
I used to follow his blog when I was 14-16. Probably my first experience of documentary photography.
>>
>>4357143
>documentary photography
What's the difference between photography and documentary photography?
>>
>>4357148
One is documenting events the photographer was witness to, but not orchestrating, and creative(?) photography is usually arranged by the photographer. Under this binary, street photography is "documentary", while studio photography is not. Brodie was out train-hopping, and documented fellow travellers. Crewdson, on the other hand, is a creative or imaginative photographer. His scenes are almost wholly contrived, and controlled.
>>
Maybe you'd like Allan Sekula's "Fish story" or some of Sophie Calle's work like "Venice".
>>
>>4357186
>Sophie Calle's work like "Venice".
She's a retarded hack her photos have no formal merit
>>
>>4357138
Here's a guy reading it out
https://youtu.be/7w98FqVnT08
>>
>>4357264
Why is this? I've never heard of her before.
>>4357132
Are there words in the book? I'm trying to figure out what the usual formatting is. Since it'd be my first, I'd like to make something notably good. First thing to analyse is the format itself. From what I can tell, most books contain full-page or double-page pictures, with no text except sometimes titles. Can one innovate on this in any meaningful way? I've thought of framing it with notes and sketches from the booklet. That seems played out, too. Lots of composers and other arts figures have their esoteric (mine, not so much) study notes placed as background in presentations at museums. Would trying too hard to go outside the box also not also risk gimmicky-ness? It's not like I can print on clay tablets, vellum or stone, and if I could, how could it be anything more than a stunt?
>>
>>4357481
>Why is this? I've never heard of her before.
A creepy bitch who got published and made career out of stalking different men because women get a pass for doing retarded shit. Search her name on Google images and you'll see what I mean. Her photos suck dick

Also check out Raised by Wolves if you want to see the writing sentimental shit on photos gimmick
>>
>>4356632
i'm ok with a photographer also being a writer, but not ok with writing about their photos because that's just a long winded reddit /r/pics and the photo should be able to stand on its own without captions if they weren't shit. Needing a novella for your pictures is cope for shit pictures, i don't make the rules sorry but it is.
>>
>>4357481
Photobooks usually contain a foreword or an afterword. Putting text somewhere in the middle of the book or mixing it with the pictures is hard to pull off. It works for example when its in between as a transition for some kind of "second part/chapter" in the book. Alec Soth made 4 videos on his youtube channel discussing why combining words with photographs hardly works out. Check them out, the series is called "Pictures & Words".
>>
>>4359829
The reason I had been considering it is that the UVanon "brand" seems to be about these personal and sincere blog-y conversations I've engaged in within my threads. In the absence of opportunity for dialogue with the audience of a book, I suppose it would not translate. I'll check out these Soth videos. Thanks.
>>
>>4356632
more like photoboobs am I right fellas
>>
Here's another question: how many photos go in a photobook, or rather, what's the upper limit; when does it get silly?
>>
>>4360827
When the printer's bill gets to spicy.
>>
>>4360829
Having never printed before, how do I determine that? I make the digital document and then forward it for a quote?
>>
>>4360831
I'd imagine they could give you a price per page (+a flat per book cost for the cover and such) based on page size, paper&print quality, colour or not, etc. before you get started on that digital document. If you have a place in mind you mail them and ask, might be a good idea to ask what file sizes they accept while you're at it.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.