[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Expect some downtime in the next few minutes for upgrades!

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: edit.png (323 KB, 693x565)
323 KB
323 KB PNG
>edit photo on my PC
>looks good and just the way I like it
>transfer photo to my phone
>it now looks like shit when viewed through the phone
>>
Oh just wait until you start printing.
>>
>>4361461
Is this just the way it is, or am I doing something wrong?
>>
>>4361493
this is the way that it is unless you are using a calibrated monitor
>>
>>4361462
>never
>>
for the time being i just use my iphone SE screen as a reference point as it's fairly color accurate afaik. need a color accurate monitor badly tho
>>
>>4361499
SE 2020*
>>
>>4361461
You need a monitor with an accurate sRGB calibration. Be that a purpose-built ART PRO GOY KEK monitor I can't be fucked recalling properly, or a calibration tool you use to tweak your current one. Think about it; your monitor has settings for brightness, contrast, saturation etc, and it has it's own colour profiles. Everything you see is through the monitor that is doing its own thing because most people use monitors to watch movies or game. Then you take your phone, or someone else looks at it on their monitor or phone, and those devices are doing THEIR own thing.
>>
>>4361512
I mean, the fact that it's old isn't much of an issue, but if it's worn, damaged, apple are stupid cucks etc, it might. Never owned an iPhone though. I have a Nothing Phone that's quite new and it will still show things slightly different to my calibrated monitor. Not by a large margin per se, but it's an OLED with the vivid colours setting on, and my monitor is IPS that's has a very accurate sRGB gamut.

If you want a less nerdy explaination, just know that using different technologies either hardware of software are going to affect how you see your image data. To have a perfectly accurate representation you'll likely need to go down the AdobeRGB rotue which is a) not fuckin worth it, and b) a complete bitch to get your entire workflow accounted for. That's only for pros who do it for a living really. For us mere /p/haggots we are better off settling for a bit of variance unless you *really* want perfection.
>>
>>4361518
I deleted the post, my bad. But yeah, I get it now.
>>
>>4361497
my monitor is calibrated and everything I make looks better on everything but my monitor. it feels so bleak.
>>
>>4361518
Is it bad to edit it on my PC and edit it again using Instagram before posting?
>>
>>4361551
Depends entirely what you mean by editing. Different software does things slightly to moderately differently. Cropping and resizing doesn't matter, but anything like noise reduction or adjusting curves is going to get fucky if you double dip
>>
>>4361559
Just after I edit a RAW file, and I'm about to post it on my IG, I sometimes tend to lower the brightness/highlights down using IG's editing features. Is that bad?
>>
>>4361461
>>4361462
imma make TONS of money and buy a color grading and print making slave for myself like Bresson. great artists can't bother with that trivial shit. we gotta run and gun and run and gun, life's too short bruuuh.
>>
A calibrated monitor has zero effect on how the photo will look on your phone, or anyone else’s.
>>
>>4361580
I personally wouldn't do that, but as long as that second pass is only minimal tweaks it won't destroy the photo. It might be fucked if you then download that IG version for PC viewing but that's a guess and even then it's probably fine
>>
>>4361461
Calibrate your monitor so it looks the same as your phone, then edit the picture. Your phone probably has fairly standard display settings, so it should look fairly similar on most normalfag displays.
>>
>>4361790
Lmfao, no.
Phones vary so much and phone faggots vary even more.

>Blue light, from MY screen?
OH HECK!!
HECK AWAY WITH TOXIC BLUE LIGHT THAT'S RACIST POISON!!
>enables night mode/warming/anti-blue light software filter to change screen colors
>immediately proceed to view images
EWW COLORS SUCK PHOTOGRAPHER DUMB!!
LOOKS TOO ORANGE!!

Imagine "calibrating" to a cuck display instead of aiming for the fucking standard.
If retards have proven themselves incapable of even leaving displays in a standard mode, willfully choosing to fuck with colors, why cater to them? They all have different preferences and you will never please everyone. It's actually impossible. Not due to taste, but because nobody's even seeing the same shit. They also change displays every year, sometimes more often than that. All anyone should do is aim for accuracy in sRGB. Anything else is wasted effort.
Gives you the best chance of the most people finding your shit good looking. Everyone else with incorrect rendering can pound sand.

These days you can't even trust websites to handle AdobeRGB or any other profiles (like P3, etc) to deliver images in your profiled setup. If you don't convert the pixels to sRGB and prep for stupidity (throwing color profile out without converting, as they change your JPEG to a shit webp) you're literally doing everything wrong.
>>
>>4362071
>talking about displays
>brings up racism
Americans, man. Take your meds, buddy.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.