[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

>Try reading Bell Curve
>First three chapter is light background on history of IQ and lots of repeating themselves
>Get bored and read Wealth of Nations
>It's a lot of 'no shit' as I have a degree in economics
I can't tell if me not reading seriously for a decade is the reason or I they were bad picks
I had The Prince and The Republic lined up but now I'm too intimidated

What's a fun book in a similar line to the books mentioned above to get me back into reading?
>>
>>475743525
>I can't tell if me not reading seriously for a decade is the reason or I they were bad picks
It's definitely the prior, as you should be aware of the importance of historical context when reading works. Of course the Wealth of Nations will go over some obvious points, but it's also valuable for you to understand the development of economics. Just read what you LIKE, start with more entertaining easy stuff. Maybe read fiction instead of non-fiction.
>>
>>475743526
I'll try reading The Silmarilliion again, thanks for the advice.
>>
>>475743525
There is so much fucking irony in your post, you racist sack of normie shit.
>>
File: ll.jpg (23 KB, 320x320)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>>475743528
>>
>>475743525
>>Get bored and read Wealth of Nations
Well I've never personally read it, but the idea of a foundational work is that it influences everything that came after. So if you're familiar with modern economics, you're probably not going to learn much from Wealth of Nations because you've had a dozen classes that are all downstream from it. Same for random tech guys that read Art of War expecting to get a deep understanding of how to deal with people interpersonally or whatever they read it for, it's a book that was extremely meaningful for a specific purpose (giving nepotism generals an idea of good tactics) and will be less meaningful outside of that.
Unfortunately I can't give you much advice on your actual question as I do not read books, but I when I read a third of Moby Dick a few months ago I thought it was very good and didn't deserve it's reputation. Maybe start there and see if it catches you.
>>
>>475743530
>but I when I read a third of Moby Dick a few months ago I thought it was very good and didn't deserve it's reputation
What reputation? I read the book and liked it as did many others as can be seen from it being continued to be culturally relevant to this day.
Who doesn't like Moby Dick?
>>
>>475743528
>have a heccin normal one immediately or you are a normie
That doesn't quite compute, does it?
>>
>>475743531
Me, it's shit
>>
>>475743533
Yeah only thing about the book I remember is finding the part with the indian and his casket funny
>>
File: lowiqstudents.jpg (640 KB, 1080x1556)
640 KB
640 KB JPG
>>475743525
what's wrong with zoomers?
>>
>>475743661
too many brown zoomies trying to partake in a western tradition
>>
>>475743525
Unless its a biography/history, you can generally get away with reading the introduction and then one or two chapters for case studies to demonstrate the thesis stated in the intro. This way you can learn a lot of things without spending a decade reading.
> inb4 academicniggers seethe "you HAVE to read the book cover to cover!
>>
>>475743525
Heres the Cliff Notes version

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.