[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/pw/ - Professional Wrestling

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Anyone else feel weird whenever a (non-olympic) wrestler lists off their championships and awards? No disrespect to them, but it's still all choreographed and staged. Yes, while you did bring the character to life, it's still a character.

Like yeah, a UFC fighter actually earned their championships because the fighting is legit, but in WWE they're handed out like candy. Now obviously the athletic feats, choreography, and bumps taken are 100% real and must be practiced to perfection, it's all still choreographed so I can't take it seriously.
>>
>>15851522
Being given a title means that you've earned a solid spot on the wrestling card. A world title is supposed to cement your status as a top guy. Getting multiple title reigns signifies that you're consistent and reliable. It's not that hard to figure out.
I'm more dubious about championships in MMA because deep down we all know that it's a work meant to draw money out of gambling addicts as opposed to little marks. The spectacle of fighting is what should matter. That's what makes PRIDE magical. It doesn't really matter if Fedor or Sakuraba held the belt.
>>
>>15851522
Not really. Sure the titles are fake as are the matches but in a way they're also not because the the booker is rewarding that wrestler for their work with either. Losing a match or title isn't really an indictment on their performance unlike real sports too because it's all story driven. But being made a champion is the promotion saying hey you're the best fit for this. You're doing good work. The crowd is connecting with you. You make us money. We have trust in you to represent and carry our brand and do good business for us. That part is all very much real. So I guess it depends on how you view a championship. Of course the wrestlers themselves are only going to speak on it in a kayfabe sense 9 times out of 10 unless it's some documentary or shoot interview
>>
The only issues I could have is when they're listing how many title reigns they've had instead of how long they've been champions. Flair's 16 championship wins are a lot less impressive when you look at the context of some of those matches.
>>
>>15851522
Um ... WWE Titles are like earning a promotion. The spotlight is on you, you get more money, sell more merch, etc. They are legit in the same vein as the Oscars are.
Go lose weight, fatso
>>
depends on the company
most use the belt as a plot device, but some feds really make you earn it like IWGP
>>
>>15851522
Wrestling is real though. They just say it’s fake to avoid regulations/fees
>>
>>15851522
Do you feel weird when an actor lists off their Emmys or Oscars?

Championships in Pro Wrestling are still achievements. Most wrestlers see them as a reward for their hard work and a token of trust and respect from the office.
>>
>>15852474
Yes and no. I mean Roman's 1000+ day reign wasn't impressive either. Repeatedly being the guy the company sees as the one who they can rely on to lead things as a face or help build up the next big babyface as a heel or whatever reason means a lot more than some fake wins over however much time
>>
>>15853163
>most use the belt as a plot device
As it should be
>but some feds really make you earn it like IWGP
Mark shit
>>
>>15853209
100% this!
>>
>>15851522
>Anyone else feel weird whenever a (non-olympic) wrestler lists off their championships and awards?
its weird bragging about title with no prestige
>>15851522
>Like yeah, a UFC fighter actually earned their championships because the fighting is legit
its about as legit as wrestling

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.