[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/pw/ - Professional Wrestling

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1722505801087468.webm (3.16 MB, 480x848)
3.16 MB
3.16 MB WEBM
How much did the infamous "Fingerpoke of Doom" kill WCW?
>>
>>15863409
zero (0)
>>
>>15863409
Why would you, as a 9ft 4,000lbs hoss, sell like this?
>>
>>15863409
Just now on /pol/ I watched an elephant have a squash match with a jeet. Five stars
>>
File: 1682138453522908.webm (2.37 MB, 640x856)
2.37 MB
2.37 MB WEBM
>>15863409
it's like watching daniel bryan beat batista all over again
>>
>>15863409
It was more of what came after it really. It was a interesting angle, they joke didn’t really bring up how Nash got the finger poke of doom in 1992 to weave it all together.
>>
>>15863409
is that lord white?
>>
>>15863409
The Fingerpoke of Doom is wildly overrated in its effect on WCW; it's just easy to point to for fans, because that's around the time the creative as a whole started getting really bad.
>>
>>15863409
Not at all. It was actually pretty based at the time.
But like others have said, it was the shit that followed that sunk the place. And even then it still might have survived if Turner insiders weren't so desperate to sell it off to Vince and instead opted to let Bischoff buy it with the finances he was in the process of organizing.
It was still the superior company until that last year though.
>>
>>15864636
I know there's a ton of power behind it, but animal fight always seem underwhelming. Even bear fights don't really do much for me
>>
>>15863409
It didn’t. Sting at Starrcade 97 singlehandedly killed WCW
>>
>>15863409
I think it's overblown. Had the Foley victory not happened that night, it probably wouldn't have been remembered as much.
>>
File: 1726805403818.webm (2.27 MB, 320x568)
2.27 MB
2.27 MB WEBM
>>15864965
Not enough flips for you?
>>
>>15863409
It didnt kill them but it was exemplary of the fact that they had nothing good to follow goldberg’s streak. They eventually panicked because of this and brought in russo. Russo killed the company’s fanbase dead.
>>
>>15864999
Maybe they need to sell more
>>
>>15863409
Fucking gay faggot asshole nigger tranny social media attention whore bullshit. You can see a trank dart near its tail
Social media is worse than anything 4chan has done or could ever do to society
>>
>>15865086
Very astute observation
>>
>>15864965
Not enough flips forbyou tranny?
>>
>>15864763
>It was still the superior company until that last year though
RAW was great in '96 going into '97, but that was propped up mostly by Stone Cold and his feuds. I agree Nitro was probably the better show still. But I think RAW was better for a good portion of '99 specifically.
>>
>>15865101
Fuck you I'm drunk
>>
>>15863409
WCW was killing itself, never any conclusions, no clean wins, no white meat babyface could get over, constantly mismanaged talent in regards to the membership of the NWO and the wolfpac storyline going nowhere just told fans there isn't going to be a payoff, once we knew that and we could see DX heels vs Antihero Stonecold vs Vince having payoffs on Mondays, not just ppv. That was it. Bad booking, bad story development, two many captains with fat checks. WCW was always worth watching for the undercard, when they started hoping ship there was nothing left for fans. It's like AEW now except less star power and less skilled workers and flippy shitters.
>>
>>15864616
The folded guy, The guy trampled to shreds, the guy who got his face squashed in front of his family, or the guy stomped through the chest?
>>
>>15864616
fuck you post the webm
>>
>>15865233
All 5 star elephant matches
>>
They actually briefly got more viewers after than that because people were still interested in seeing Goldberg run through NWO. What killed them is that they didn't do that.
>>
>>15863409
>Finger Poke was 4 days removed from WCW licensing, merchandising, PPV, & live event business doing record levels of $350million in revenue in 1998, pumping out over $50 million in profit; a level no promotion in history had come close to at this point. This episode of Thunder drew a 4.3 rating; the joint 2nd best rating in the history of the show. Why? due to the intrigue of the successful Finger Poke of Doom angle three days prior on Nitro which did a 4.6 quarter hour & 6.5 overrun (7.75 million viewers), taking many of those viewers back from RAW which went from a 5.9 quarter hour & 5.1 overrrun. Nitro's 4.6 to 6.5 growth, was an incredible 2.1 million viewers, among the biggest growth periods in history. The FPOD episode of Nitro did a massive 5.0 rating while RAW did an even bigger 5.7 rating; combined between Nitro & RAW it was largest audience in history to watch Monday Night Wrestling (11.78 million viewers during head to head hours & 13.82 million viewers during the overrrun). The FPOD episode of Nitro also did 38,809 (34,788 paid). WCW’s business peak was December 1998/January 1999 when they drew more than 29,000 fans to Nitro tapings three times in about five weeks.

>Average rating for Nitro in Nov/Dec 98 was 4.24 while average rating in Jan/Feb 99 was 4.75 meaning the average rating increased 0.51 after FPOD. Jan 99 was the 2nd best ratings month in Nitro history with 4.85 average rating & Feb 99 was 4th best ratings months in Nitro history with 4.68 average rating. It's worth nothing the Feb 8, 99 unopposed edition of NITRO drew 5.7 rating - the 2nd highest rating Nitro drew in the history of the show. Starrcade 98 headlined by Nash vs. Goldberg + SuperBrawl IX headlined by Hogan vs. Flair drew both drew a 1.15 PPV buyrate (joint 3rd highest PPV buyrates in WCW history) & only 0.06 less than WWF St. Valentines Day Massacre headlined by the Austin vs. McMahon in a cage which drew a 1.21 PPV buyrate.
>>
>>15865451
>only 0.06 less than notoriously failed wwf ppv
lol
>>
>>15864965
Because they're not trying to kill or seriously injure eachother. It's a dominance thing.
>>
>>15864965
Nigga they literally knocked over a tree like nothing, and I bet the ground is shaking like crazy, probably 100x better seeing it live but there's the risk of getting trampled
>>
>>15865490
That's true. Because if one of them got seriously injured they could no longer hunt and then they would eventually die. That's why you sometimes see little dogs scaring mountain lions into trees.
>>
>>15865494
Yea 1 tree is a bit underwhelming, they should have taken out an entire forest, then have videos of tiny little people walking through the broken trees with looks of bewilderment.
>>
>>15864763
>Not at all. It was actually pretty based at the time.
no it wasnt, it was dildos back then too.
But it alone wasnt what killed WCW, it was a cavalcade of retarded shit before and mostly after that did.
>>
>>15865490
This. The only animals that continue past submission in interspecies combat are shitbulls and niggers
>>
>>15865535
*intraspecies
>>
>>15863409
What made me stop watching was a lot of the guys just didn't seem to care as much any more. Guys like Scott Hall were in and out of rehab, other guys injured and off TV for long periods of time, the show just wasn't as fun to watch.

No Limit Soldiers and New Blood and all this other crap, I just checked out. Couldn't do it. I was long gone before Arquette won the world title. And my timeline is all messed up because I still don't care to go back and re-watch in order.
>>
Anyone else remember new Misifts wrestled for a little bit in WCW. That was wild
>>
>>15864999
>Forgot what the next spot was and just gave up in the middle of the match
This is why you learn to be able to call it in the ring
>>
>>15864616
>horton_smears_a_poo.webm
Based
>>
It had zero effect. What killed WCWs popularity high was WWF getting white hot.

The dot come crash is what killed WCW thanks to the Time Warner AOL merger.
>>
>>15864999
Based Goldy squashed that shitter. That last sequence was disrespectful and most likely racially motivated.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.