[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/qst/ - Quests

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: title.jpg (85 KB, 1015x788)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
You manage to convince the storyteller to take a break and wait while you gather as many people involved with the events of the past four to six months. It wasn't difficult as merely having a complete account was more than enough to entice Luo to wait for as long as it took for you to gather your entourage. Given that you weren't allowed into the village, the task proved a bit more difficult that you expected. Ming was still away and you can innately sense Xin Lan wandering around the base of the mountain as well so both were out of reach unless you planned on screaming at the top of your lungs.

That only left the Brotherhood and Tigress. A few of the Library's leaders were still at the palace, mostly in Palace's library combing over old land deeds and the like to prepare for their people's integration. Tradition made them hesitant to share their tale with an outsider as they preferred to chronicle their own lives but upon learning that Luo was once their host's old master they seemed more agreeable to the idea. You ask for them to retrieve the others and Ming down in the village as you go and search for Tigress. Xin Lan would follow as soon as the word began to spread.

Tigress proved to be as difficult as you suspected. You somehow manage to dance through the minefield that is speaking with her and inform her that an old master of the Palace was visiting and he would very much like to hear her account of the last few months. While it wasn't the entire truth, it manages to play to her sense of duty enough that her tail flicks angrily at you but you take that as a sign of acknowledgement. She'd be there.

All you had to do now was wait and the wait doesn't take very long as something slams onto your back and swings around your neck. Xin Lan hug your neck tightly as they peer right into your eyes, nose twitching excitedly. "You have to take me to him. Now." They say swinging side to side. "Otherwise I'm telling my big brother to beat you up and I'll never give you another holiday gift again." You reach to grab them but they simply swing around to sit on your shoulders and cover your eyes.
>>
"Xin, leave Tai Lung alone." You hear Ming as she approaches. "Or I'll make sure you never get seconds again." Your eye sight immediately returns after that revealing Ming with the rest of the Brotherhood. "I think that's everyone." She says.

"Yeah. Luo can take his time with more individual accounts with the rest of the city but I think this would be a good time to introduce him to the higher ups. We might just have helped him start his greatest story." You say with a nod.

"And we're all in it!" Xin Lan says excitedly. "We're gonna be in one of Luo's books!"

"We better make our way then. I don't want Xin Lan to explode on my shoulders." You add. You lead the group back to the meeting hall where you first discussed the Library's fate with your father. Tigress was already there and judging by her glare you suspect she is none to happy with your omissions. Once everyone had settled around the table and some drink was passed around, you begin to tell your tale...

>You have quite a story to tell and it is undoubtedly one that will be told for generations. However, there may be somethings you wish to withhold. What parts of your journey between waking up and reuniting with Xin Lan do you wish to tell?
>Write in.
>>
>>5947830
I dont think we really want to omit anything other than madam webb and the fact we fully intend on ignoring the empress' judgement.

Our meeting with Bao and Shenlong's fury is important to the tale.
So the sewuence of events is Wake up, find Hien, return to library, fight zombies, go to the forbidden city, talk to Bao, our arguments withnthe Feng Family (which is just classic chinese philosophy fodder) and their loyalty should be remarked on, we meditated and that enhanced our natural compass to find our friends, the Empress's judgement, Who is behind the raiders, then our travel with Tigress to find Xin.

If we omit Webb, this should be the rough timeline of events.
>>
Holy jesus FUCK this has been running since 2020
>>
>>5949146
ye. I like reading it tho. Feel like this quest has a fairly big lurker group for some reason.
>>
>>5949289
>>5949146
Yeah, be nice if they stepped in and voted. I'm not confident in steering this ship
>>
>>5949305
My feel too
The problem with really good write-ins in the past, lol
>>
>>5947830
I roll a 20 for initiative
>>
>>5949146
Yep. I'm always as surprised as you are that this game has lasted this long. Always feels weird to realize that this is gonna be year 4.

>>5949289
>>5949305
>>5949491
Glad you guys like the quest at least.

>>5947967
Not mentioning Madam Web. Looks like Ming won't get her invitation just yet. Writing.
>>
Reciting your tale was no easy feat, emotionally or otherwise. As much as you wanted to mention everything down to the smallest detail, you also had to remember that doing so would only cause more pain to those who lived through it. They didn't need to know exactly who was cursed to wander the ruins of the city in undeath just that those who fell did. They didn't need to know the state you found their leader in just that he had received a proper burial. Xin Lan and Ming could decide on how to retale his passing on but you were sure that they would have more tact than simply reciting clinical details.

The hours go on and you can feel the weight of the days you apart from the others grow on you. The sun begins to hide behind the walls of the Jade Palace as you finally arrive to the Empress's judgement and what followed after. Only you would know about meeting Madam Web and though you know Xin Lan would know that you sought her out, you suspect he would respect your decision to keep her existence quiet. Once you begin to involve the other's in the tale then the story began to pick up the pace and somehow slow down all the same. Everyone had their own account, their own view of the situation that befallen all of you. It's not until the moon is high in the sky that you all concluded your epic to the old man before you.

Throughout the tale, the old goat writes nonstop. His brush is a blur, his writing neat and compact but all the while his eyes never leave your face. There was something comforting in that. It felt like he was truly listening to what you say and taking in everything you say not just hearing the words you speak to replicate them for his work.

"Like I mentioned before, we've only just arrived to the Valley and we've only been here for a few days at that. But that's...that's all of it." You say a bit lamely. You wish you had a better way to end the story. Perhaps you could have mentioned again that you were going up to the north and you would stop all this. But that didn't feel right. This wasn't just your story and you weren't seeking glory or recognition. You just wanted people to know. Of the sacrifice the people made and what was lost to meaningless conflict.

Luo finally sets aside his brush next to the several bottles of ink he had expended during his writing. "I'm sure the rest of the citizens of the library will have more to say. Maybe even their own stories but I felt like we could give you a better overarching account of what happened." You add. The old man nods.

"You're right. There is so much they could tell me. I suspect I will be here for a very long time." He says stretching, his joints creaking audibly. "What you told me, this story, almost sounds like something out of legend." He states as he grabs a sheet of paper and skims it.

"I assure you. It's all true. Even the Lord Hien will attest to it if you ask." You say. The old goat shakes his head and gives you a small smile.
>>
"My boy. We live in a world full of spirits and magic. A land where the very essence of the Dragon Gods permeates it. The only thing that is difficult to believe is that someone could stoop so low as to wield such...unconscionable...horrific power. Of course I believe it. I can only offer my condolences because I simply will not be able to finish compiling and writing this for what may be many years. But I will assure you that even if this is my final work, I will make sure that these tales will be told through out all of China." Luo promises. His eyes seemed alight with a fire that makes him seem several years younger. The old goat turns to Shifu. "I'm must apologize but I think I will be here for just a tiny bit longer."

"O-of course! Take all the time you need." Shifu says as he's pulled out from his own thoughts. "You are right of course. This story must be told. If there is anything I can do to help..." Luo waves his hand.

"I'm afraid not. I've been doing this alone for so long that I'm afraid I'm an old man just stuck in my ways. I'll be sure not to bother your students while I'm here." The old goat teases lightly.

"Thank you." One of the Brotherhood speaks up. "I'm afraid without your help we'd never know how to chronicle our story. It may be the last the Library has to offer China."

"Nonsense. The library might be lost but you all still have plenty to offer the world. We might not be able to do it all at once but eventually the advancements discovered there will benefit the whole country." Ming counters. "Just like the founders did it. Slowly but surely." The table grows silent for a moment as the weight of the tale still hangs in the air.

>What do you do?
>Call it a night. You've said all you could and anymore would just repeating past conversations. All that there is left to do is leave it to the old story teller.
>Bring up the topic of going down to the village not that Luo has mentioned it. Maybe you can introduce Luo to some people of the Library. They're probably the only people who don't fear you.
>Ask the group something. (What do you ask?)
>Write in
>>
>>5949654
>Leave it be

I can't think of anything else that needs said. And an obituary for the lost doesn't need to have everyone's name.
>>
>>5949654
>>Bring up the topic of going down to the village not that Luo has mentioned it. Maybe you can introduce Luo to some people of the Library. They're probably the only people who don't fear you.
it's the least we can do for him.
>>
Thoughts on KFP4, Lungchads?
>>
Rolled 1 (1d2)

>>5949662
>>5950857
I'll just roll for tomorrow's post.

>>5951080
Have not seen it myself but I kinda have to don't I? Maybe I'll marathon the series over the weekend. Also never got to ask that one anon which Romance of the Three Kingdoms adaptation he was watching. Was kinda interested myself.
>>
>>5951135
2010 adaptation, on youtube.

Long eatch but its a good season of TV
>>
With nothing more to add, you all go your separate ways for the night with your friends following you back to the room. Over the next few days, you fall into a routine. Training with Xin Lan in the mornings, eating breakfast with the family, then idling the days away with your father and Luo. Its on one of these days where you decide to follow your family tradition of considering the rules to be a simple suggestion rather a set in stone fact. At least, in a round about way. After breakfast, you head back to your room to find Ming buried in a few books. You don't think you've ever seen her read heavily before and often times it seems rather strange to see the girl so heavily focused on the texts before her. She jumps slightly when you knock on the doorframe before entering.

"Hey Ming. Got a minute?" You ask as you step through the threshold. Ming takes a long stretch and stands up.

"Yeah. I'm not that busy." She replies as she continues her stretching. "What's up?"

"I don't think I'm gonna get a chance to go to the village anytime soon and I also don't want to start some kind of panic." You start as you lean against the wall. "So I'm going to do the next best thing. Do you mind grabbing Amala and the kids and bringing them here? I promised I'd take them out to eat to my favorite place but since I can't do that I might as well keep my other promise. To show them around my house." Ming gives you a smug look.

"I was wondering how long it would take before you decided to start ignoring the rules." She teases.

"I'm not ignoring them. Just...circumventing them slightly. You and Xin are allowed to go down to the village and nothing says you can't bring guests." You counter slyly. "Plus I'm doing the honorable thing of keeping my word. I say that I'm doing good right now."

Ming walks past you and smacks your shoulder. "You know what you're doing." She says. "But I'll go and find them. You're in charge of keeping any on them though." She giggles and leaves. It suddenly dawns on you that you have to prepare a tour of the palace...for children. Images of dozens of deadly devices in a single, but very open, room pop into mind. You were going to need some time to get ready.

---

You had expected screaming or maybe some shouts but instead you get a bunch of wide eyes. You were quite surprised they could grow that big. It was Amala that broke the silence as she stands behind the kids to make sure they were in her view. "Are you sure this is ok?" She asks timidly. "I know you promised the children and all..."

"Nonsense. I feel like the palace could use a bit of livening up for the day." You say. "We used to actually have more students including children but..." You glance behind you. "I suppose those were days long gone." Shaking your head you add, "In any case, I made a promise and it'd be a bad for the kids if the adults in their lives didn't keep their promises. We'll get to the noodle shop eventually too. I just need to clear a few things."
>>
"Mister, mister! Do you live here?" One of the younger kids asks finally peeling their gaze away from the Jade Palace.

"I used to. A long time ago. But now I travel the world with my friends. It's been just as long since I've come back here." You admit. "I'm sure Xin and Ming will be around too."

"Are you a princess?!" Another shouts. "Like the Empress? She lives in a Palace too!"

"I..." You pause a bit taken aback at the kids' forwardness.

>What do you say? Is Tai Lung a pretty princess like Hien's sister? More Less importantly, where do you want to show the kids first?
>Take the kids to the Training hall. You've placed most of the weights and basic training tools outside for them to see. All the other dangerous things have been locked away. You could probably entertain them for a bit by showing off. Or maybe show them a few basic forms for them to play around with.
>Take the kids to the Hall of Heroes. Show them that not everything outside the Library is scary and miserable. Stories of heroism inspired Xin as they grew up. Perhaps such tales can inspire the kids as well.
>Take the kids to the kitchen. You can make them meat buns but that's pretty much it. Could be a good snack for them.
>Show the kids around the palace. There's various fruit trees and wild berries for them to pick from. Not to mention the waterfalls and the like. The natural beauty of the valley might be a welcome sight for them. Plus you know the land well enough to keep them from any real danger.
>Write in.
>>
>>5951989
>I'm more like a pretty priest, Little one.
As a wise man said, Amazing the minds of the young ones are.

>hall of heros
Give them the big ticket item!

>Show them around the palace grounds after.
They might like seeing other beautiful mountain ranges.
>>
>>5952175
+1
>>
>>5952175
>>5953180
To the hall of heroes! Also TL is definitely a pretty priestess. He takes after Bao after all.
>>
"I'm more like a...priest." You say wondering how to navigate that question. "But I guess some of my friends would say I'm pretty. I know for a fact one of them would never stop saying it if they heard so it'll be our little secret." You chuckle. "Anyways, how about we begin our tour? I know just the place with the best stories." You imagine that Ming probably would have given some kind of secretive wink after that but you're certain that no matter what kind of pretty priest you were, you'd never be able to pull it off. Amala ushers the kids forward as you lead them through the palace. Despite their looks of curiosity, they cling closely to her unsure of how far they're allowed to wander. Eventually you all stand at the doorway to the Hall of Heroes as it towers imposingly over your group.

"This is the Hall of Heroes. Where the greatest heroes in all of China are honored. Their weapons and armor are housed and maintained so that everyone can remember them and their deeds." You say, as you push the door open to reveal the many pillars adorning the hall and the serene pool at the very end. "This is...erm...this is where the Dragon Warrior acquired the school that gave him his ultimate power." You say as you quickly come up with something that didn't involve you destroying things. You wave the group with you in and lead them all the way to the Moon Pool. Motioning for them to sit down, you begin to regale them with all the stories you heard growing up making sure to take the time to emphasize the many wonders and stories that China had to offer beyond the mountains the children grew up with. The kids are completely absorbed by your tales, their tails wagging eagerly as you reach the point where the hero overcomes their adversary time and time again. They are so absorbed in your stories that they fail to notice the growing shadow that is being cast over them.

Xin Lan lands on your back with a shout of, "Surprise attack!" causing the kids to shout in surprise and huddle behind Amala. "You're not even telling the best stories." They say as they swing over sit on your knee. "Come here kids. Let me give you the real inside scoop." The mention of more stories causes them all to scurry back to their original sitting positions and Xin Lan begins. They tell stories of grand heists and trickery. Stories where the hero wins not by raw strength, but cunning and out of the box thinking. Mystery and curiosity were the themes of Xin Lan's tales showing that despite everything, there were still much more to discover. "See that's how you tell a story." They say with a smirk. "Ain't that right kids?"
>>
The kids erupt into cheers and shouting as they demand more stories. It takes you, Xin Lan, and Amala a few moments to calm the kids down and settle down. "I think that might be enough stories for now." You say. "Besides, we still have more to explore and you wouldn't want to miss that would you?"

"Yeah!" Xin Lan agrees as they climb on to your back. "Where you taking us?"

"There's some nice views around the mountain." You say. "I think the kids would like that. Plus, it'd help burn some energy."

"I mean we could just take them to work out. A bit of running around won't do any harm." Xin Lan whispers. "Could give Amala a bit a break while you keep watch. Ming's around, she can keep her company."

>What do you do?
>Stick to the plan. This is as much for Amala as it is for the kids. She could use something to cheer her up as well.
>Go with Xin's plan. Amala has basically been running an orphanage while you traveled. She might want some alone time.
>Ask Xin to get Ming. The more people the better and it means more eyes to keep track of the kids. It'll take some weight off of Amala's shoulders while still letting her enjoy the tour as well.
>Write in.
>>
>>5954956
>Go with Xins plan

Different strokes for different folks, but she's been dealing with dozens of kids for months. That's going to drain anybody even if they love them
>>
>>5954982
Gonna give Amala a break. Writing.
>>
"Alright. Go get Ming. I'll keep them busy for a bit." You whisper back. Xin Lan hops off your back and slinks out of the hall. "Alright before we head out. How about I show you something you might have missed." You say and lead the group back to the entrance of the Palace. "I bet all those stairs were quite the climb, huh?" You ask and the children all nod, their eyes curious as to where you were going with this. "You see the stairs were once used for training Kung Fu students as well but once we had too many we had to stop using them for that out of safety. But the meaning behind the stairs was never lost. Just like the stairs, life sometimes gets difficult, sometimes it seems like the stairs will never end and that things will always be hard. But it's ok. You can take breaks and you can stop to catch your breath. Just keep at it and eventually you'll get to the top, eventually you'll reach your goals and dreams. When you do, however, always remember..." You trail off and suddenly fling the doors open revealing the view the Jade Palace had over the entire Valley of Peace. "To look behind you and see how beautiful the world can be because you never gave up."

The kids gasp and scurry forward to stand beside you and take in the view. You crouch down and help point out various little landmarks and points of interest. None that you could take the kids within the day but perhaps in the future. As your pointing out the various points of interest, you hear the sound of people approaching. You turn to see Ming and Xin Lan making their way over with drinking jugs in their hands. "Sorry that the big guy is such a bad host." Xin Lan grins. "But he really should have offered you something to drink after that long climb."

"Your Ladyship! Y-you didn't have to..." Alama starts but Ming shakes her head.

"Alama please. We've known each other long before that. You're the last person who needs to be formal with me. Here, have a drink." She says placing a cup in Amala's hands. "You too kids. Knowing Tai Lung he's going to be taking you all over the place so drink up so you don't get thirsty."

"It's the Exarch!" The kids shout and hurry over to grab their drinks. You wonder how children know what Ming's title but still consider you a princess. The children surround Xin Lan and they had to be a bit careful to not get knocked over by the excitable children.

"Amala, would you mind helping me with something?" Ming asks. "Tai Lung and Xin can keep the kids busy." Amala gives Ming an alarmed look.

"I would love to but..." She says gazing worriedly at the kids who were at the moment oblivious. Ming gently places a hand on Amala's shoulder.

"It'll be ok." She says gently. "There is nowhere safer in all of China than with Tai Lung and Xin Lan with them. You don't have to worry and I promise that you won't regret it." Amala fidgets with the frayed hem of her dress but she relents.

"ok..." She says quietly.
>>
"Don't worry. We'll make sure the kids don't burn the mountain down." Xin Lan adds and then turns to face the pack of wolves in front of them. "Hey kids. You wanna see a peach the size of my head?" The kids hoot and holler eagerly as they rise to their feet once more. "Lead the way." They grin mischievously at you. You sigh. Today might be a bit of a long one but if it helped Tenzin's family then it'd be worth it.

---

It takes about a half hour to reach the wild fruit grove that lay behind the Jade Palace on the lower side of the mountain. Much like the rest of the Palace there was something mystical about the area as the fruit was always bountiful and never seemed to run out of their gifts during the peak of harvesting season. Rumors had it that it might have to do with the mystical Pool of Sacred Tears atop the mountain as it's waters also flowed underground through out the mountain. Others claim that it was a gift from the Gods for the valley's peaceful nature for so many years since Oogway settled down to live here. Whatever the reason, it had become a popular rest spot for travelers and local wanderers who would brave the mountain paths to get here.

The kids might not have understood the full meaning of your explanation but they were happy enough to wander around and pester you with questions about which berries were safe to eat or to ask you to pluck a fruit from one of the trees. The area had a very soothing presence with it's soft rustle of branches from a breeze that always seemed to know just how much to blow to get the right atmosphere. The effect seemed to work on your group as well as every seemed to slow down just a notch and go at a more leisurely pace. "Think we can convince them to take a nap?" Xin Lan asks as they keep a watchful eye on the kids.

"No. But even if we could, that would mean you couldn't nap. So nice try." You chuckle. The two of you continue to watch the kids for a moment longer before Xin Lan speaks up.

"This is nice, you know?" They say.

"Hmm?"

"I've never really made anyone feel safe before...All I've ever cared was about scaring whoever I wanted to hurt. Now Ming's been saying we make her feel safe and then she said there's no where safer in the country than with us. It feels nice."

>What do you say?
>Write in.
>>
>>5955987
>Its gratifying to hold someone elses trust like that. I know the feeling too, its easier to sleep when I know you two are close nearby.
>What about you, Do you feel safer when we are nearby? Or maybe something similar when these kids are given to us to mind.

Contemplate the feeeeeeeling Xin. Any reactioj tou give us, I will push you to meditate on it. BECAUSE SAGE LUNG IS IN THE HOUSE.
>>
Just a heads up gentlemen. I may not be able to post over the course of the next week. Thanks to shenangins related to my city everyone is losing internet access while they repair something or another. I will attempt to keep the game going via my phone but given how often my mobile providor's IP bands get banned posting may be sporadic. We were given a start date of around the 24th and it's slated to be done by the 30th.

so let's get back to asking wifebun if she loves us.
>>
"It's gratifying to know someone trusts you like that. When you spend all your life being feared, you lose sight of the other side of people." You say. "I know the feeling well. I find it easier to sleep knowing you and Ming are close by." You look down at the white bunny. "What about you? Do you feel safe when we're nearby?" Xin Lan smiles softly and lightly punches you in the thigh.

"Dummy. You already know the answer to that." They say contently in the same soft tone their brother uses when speaking to you. You simply reach down and ruffle the little rabbit's ears.

---

You spend the rest of the day leading the kids around the mountain, showing them waterfalls and different views of the valley. There are a few times you need to make sure they don't run into a river or climb a tree. Even so, you and Xin Lan decide continue the hike well into the late afternoon to give Amala as much time to herself. Somehow you even manage to wear down the kids' energy because you soon find yourself having to carry them back up the mountain. The sun's fading light gives the valley a nice warm glow before it will eventually give away to the cool night. By the time, you arrive you can see that the lanterns of the Jade Palace had been lit though there was still a bit of time left in the day to do one more thing.

>What do you want to do?
>Go to the kitchen and get the kids something to eat. Maybe invite Ming and Amala as well.
>Go and find Luo. The kids like stories, maybe the old goat knows a few to help them doze off for a while.
>Go find Tigress. The kids seemed to like her alot. They might enjoy seeing her again. Maybe it'll help her mellow out a bit.
>Write in.
>>
>>5958102
>Drop them off with Tigress with a grin and "We'll be back with snacks".
We can let them be for half an hour.
Im doing this to no expectation of her mellowing, I just think its funny. Xin is rubbing off on me.

>>5958094
Got it Hoss
>>
Testing to see if this works. Then I'm typing in the morning.
>>
You could have simply returned the children to Amala but there was time to squeeze in one last activity, one last promise to be kept. As much as you wanted to treat the children to some nice food and show them that the world was far more than the pain they experienced there was one promise you made before you arrived to the valley that you could not leave unkept. Although, before you could do that you had to keep the kids entertained.

Under the guise of showing the kids around the palace some more, you kept an eye out for a certain someone and its not long until you find the figure clad in black. "Hey look, its Master Tigress. Why don't you say hello to her?" You say in your most nonchalant voice. The kids manage to find their fourth or eighth wind and charge the master while she meditates. During the chaos you lean down and whisper into Xin Lan’s ear. "Keep an eye on the kids. In or out of sight. If Ming catches us leaving them alone for a moment she'll have our heads. Maybe bring them all a snack." The rabbit's tail wiggles excitedly at the plan and you just manage to get in a, "And behave. For the kids." before they vanish.

As the kids surround Tigress you quietly make your way to someone you've had your eye on all day. Placing a hand on the eldest's shoulder, you motion to Tseten to break away from the group. He had been quiet all day though despite his best attempts to seem aloof and apathetic, he could not hide the excitement and enjoyment of the day's events from his eyes.

>Where do you take your old student?
>Take him to see your father as you promised. If anyone can help him find purpose and strength it would be him.
>Take him to see the old story teller. Though not what you promised, the old goat had also lost his family to evil. He might know better than most what its like to lose those closest to you and it was him that set you on your new path.
>Walk with Tseten a while. Your school might no longer exist but he was still your student. You feel obligated to at least keep trying to talk him through his pain.
>Write in
>>
Apologies for any weird typos or the like. I'm forced to type this out on my phone. Hopefully we can return to normalcy soon.
>>
>>5961773
>Walk with Tsentsen for a while. Talk him through it.
>Take him to Sifu

We can try and gather if his feelings have changed, or if his resolve has altered after reaching The Valley of peace
>>
File: 1711503878559806.png (3.32 MB, 2664x2008)
3.32 MB
3.32 MB PNG
If the QM or players are interested at all interested, I'd like to cordially invite you to participate in that greatest of /qst/ community events, the official crossover husbando/waifu (or king & queen) contest! As a long-running, character-driven quest, I thought you folks might be interested in joining the festivities, though I admit I'm not sure how many OCs this quest actually has, and tai Lung himself is sadly ineligible.

Taking nominees now, and for the next four days.

>>5961634
>>
>>5962126
I have very very mixed feelings on this manner of cross promotion and would rather assuredly advise you to cease the pattern of behavior, at the risk of being labled a fag of some indeterminate level
>>
>>5962192
If you don't wish to join the group activity, that's fine. You're all welcome if you change your mind. I didn't want you folks to feel excluded, and not everyone sues the Discord or QTG.
>>
>>5962126
>long running
I...uhh...yeah 4 years is alot.

Sad to say though, this quest doesnt have much art. There was an Art anon who but they vanished or might just be lurking. Thanks for popping in and letting us know though. I'm sure whoever is here wouldn't mind taking a peek.
>>
>>5962192
Yeah probably that too. Or pehaps I'm a bit more paranoid about promoting in own stuff. I can see how advertising your own thing in someone else's thread can be bad form.

Also seems like my tripcode thing changed despite me not doing anything different. Huh...
>>
>>5962199
>4 years is alot
My thinking exactly! I'm not a player, but have seen you guys around for a long time, so thought it only neighborly to extend the invitation. Since I don't hear much chatter from Tai Lung players in the QTG, this seemed the most expedient way to reach you. Pardon the interruption, and have a great day.
>>
Now I'm tempted to comission some art for the crew. Lot of characters though.
>>
>>5962199
welcome to dynamic trip codes. Tis rather gay.
Good for avoiding false bans though.

>>5962201
appreciated, but still I consider it poor form.

>>5962219
I mean, really?
We've got the main 4, one of which is just Tai Lung. Ming, Xin and Renshu.

Side characters involve Hian, Luo, Bao, Sifu and Tigress. Everyone else is kinda restrained to their own places, but I think we can invoke Gang and An Bo as notable side characters too.

That's about 6 solid recurring characters.
He Ling as well if we ever turn up with him again. Saying nothing of aleskander
>>
>>5962219
Renshu has become nominated.
>>
>>5964789
Wait really? Well good luck to tiger bun then!

Also I finally got internet back. Sadly mobile connections failed me soon after my last post. I will begin writing today.

Also Also, I'd like to thank who ever did nominate Tiger bun. Just that fact that some one enjoyed the quest enough to do is a prize all of it's own. I also wholeheartedly love the description and write up about him.
>>
You take the young man, on the cusp of entering his teenage years and perhaps the most important ones of his life, back to the gates of the the Jade Palace. Rather than opening the doors once more, you simply lift the young man and leap to the top of the wall. Where in most places the encroaching night would often give feelings of unease or perhaps anxiety, here in the valley's serenity it gives a feeling of comfort as one feels the day's energy give way to a nice relaxing night that seeks to wash away one's exhaustion with sleep. Small pin points of light dot the village bellow as more and more appear.

You and Tseten watch for a moment though unlike your small little speech about life and it's journey, the silence here isn't for effect. It's more due to the fact that you're slightly unsure of how to bring up such painful memories for the boy. Despite your speeches for the people, the philosophy you can discuss as easily as the weather, they were all directed to adults. People who understood life's hardships or it's gifts. People who had experienced so much and could still go out and discover some more. Tseten was still a child and the world to him was vast and unexplainable yet so easily painted one way or the other. Even Xin Lan, who was still learning about themselves and their own interactions with the people around them, was only simply learning to view the world in their own unique way. They understood the evil people were capable of or how the world worked. In the end, you decide to do it as you always did and spoke to the boy directly. You felt that he would appreciate you not jumping around the topic.

"It's been a rough...well it's been rough." You start off quietly. "None of this should have ever happened. No one should ever have to go through this. In spite of all of that, everyone is still trying their best. Your sister is taking care of you and many other children, the older generation is doing their best to leave something for the younger generation to prosper with even if they should have expected to live a life of peace." You gather your words for a moment before speaking once more. "What I'm traying to say is that I'm proud. Proud of the people of the library, proud of your sister, and I'm proud of you." The young wolf looks up at you in confusion. It seems like he was expecting some kind of lecture or perhaps some kind of directive to have been given on what to do.
>>
"You try to hide it. Try to make it seem like you don't care or that you're too mature. But it's there in your eyes. The pain, the anger, the sorrow. Traits I'm all too familiar with and even so, once again in spite of all that has happened and in spite of what you are trying to hide, you're still happy. Deep down that fire of hope burns and flickers. You haven't lost sight of everything and drowned yourself in sorrow. Maybe it's just part of being a kid or maybe you're stronger than either of us think. Many adults have easily succumbed to fear and misery and have chosen to simply live the rest of their lives there. That's why I'm proud. You have chosen the harder of the two paths and that is a strength of character many wish they had." You turn to look at the young man. "I promised you that I would take you to meet my father. The man who taught me everything I knew. However, he does not take his teachings lightly and will not teach just anyone. So before I take you to meet him, I'll ask you something he will ask himself. Why do you want to learn from him? What do you want to learn? If you cannot answer that honestly and with absolute certainty then he won't teach you."

You place a hand on the boy's shoulder. "But as your former teacher, it would be unfair to just send you there without some help. Not the kind your thinking though." You quickly add as you see the boy's eyes widen. "The world of Kung Fu has no shortcuts. It is a path not only of strength and power but of self discovery and evaluation. I can't give you the answers because those are something you come up with on your own. They are your own creation and no one can take that away from you. What I can tell you is that your answer doesn't need to be complicated or profound. You don't need to think of a great speech or show that you're the best. All that it needs to be is truly your own. If you can look inside of yourself and answer honestly to both yourself and him then surely you'll find the path you seek." The young man looks a bit confused but after a moment he nods solemnly. You give him a reassuring nod and help him down before heading towards your father.

---

You find that your father is not alone at this hour although you probably shouldn't have been surprised. As you knock politely at the door frame and are called in, you see that Shifu is enjoying a cup of tea with Luo. Both men seemed to be pouring over hundreds of sheets of paper. A quick glance reveals that they ranged from personal notes to various historical records to even some writings that seemed to be only a few days old. "Tai Lung come in we-...and who is this?" Your father begins before stopping and attempting to offer his friendliest and most child friendly smile. It looked like he was in pain.
>>
"This is Tseten." You say motioning the boy to take a seat across the table. Tseten gives a small bow and politely sits down with his hands on his lap as he tries his best to seem out of the way. "He was a student of mine when I taught self defense lessons in the Sacred Library. I'm sorry to say that academia was not for me but I still wanted to offer something to the city that housed me."

"I do recall hearing a few stories about that as I spoke to some of the refugees." Luo admits. "Although to the untrained ear they make is sound more like some kind of gang or militia. They are quite fond of their teacher despite his insistence that his school has closed for good." He chuckles.

You sigh and give the two men a weary smile. "I'm afraid I can't do much about that. I simply taught them how to protect themselves incase they got into an altercation with someone who might have had a bit too much to drink. My classes were meant for that and exercise. Nothing more."

"You taught us more than that!" Tseten blurts out before immediately shying away as everyone turns to face him. "He did...he taught us that fighting isn't about being the strongest. It's about protecting the people you care about. Even if it means running to get someone else. Teach says getting into a fight doesn't just mean putting yourself in danger, you're now in charge for the lives of everyone involved even your enemy's. Doing things recklessly not only means you can get hurt but even the people you wanted to protect. So fighting is more than just hurting the other person." You smile and ruffle and pat the boy's shoulder.

"It's alright Tseten. They're only teasing." You assure him as you take a seat yourself. "But you're right and I won't have you just sit here quietly." You quickly take a more serious tone. "Father, I made a promise to young Tseten here. Despite the fact that I will no longer teach my classes, he and his family are close friends of me and my friends. His elder brother was the first man to welcome me into the city and to his own home. They took us in with open arms despite knowing who I was and what I did. But I won't speak for the young man any longer. Tseten, please tell my father why you wanted to meet him."

Tseten fidgets and mumbles something as he tries to work up some kind of bravado. Eventually he manages to accidentally shout, "Can you please teach me how to fight like my teacher?!" Shifu and Luo glance at each other for a moment and the two seem to come into their element. Taking a more stoic tone, your father asks that which you warned the young man about.
>>
"Young man, if Tai Lung has taught you correctly then you should know that Kung Fu is more than just punching and kicking. It is an art. Something passed down from generation to generation. Only the strongest willed and disciplined can ever hope to elevate themselves to a true master. However, a real master is not only strong of body but of mind and spirit. So, if you truly wish to learn, then I will ask why. If you want to learn just to fight then the royal guard can take you in. If you want to swing a weapon there are plenty of mercenary companies that will take you in when you're of age. Why here and why now?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiQND1d3V8I

Tseten goes quiet for a long while and for a moment you expect your father to snap at him to hurry up but he never does. You wonder if something had happened to have soften your father up after all these years. The silence is broken when you hear the young boy say something. "Because it's not fair..." He whispers. Shifu's ears perk up as he hears Tseten speak. "My big brother was a guard...he was the best guard ever. He would always make sure we had food to eat and stuff to play with. Sometimes he'd come home late and he'd get into fights with big sis about money and gambling but I knew he was lying. He had a secret stash of money he would hide in his room he would never touch. He just liked teasing big sis. He was the big brother ever and we weren't even related. So it's not fair...it's not fair THEY TOOK HIM AWAY FROM ME!" The young man breaks down into tears. "He was a good guy...he just wanted to feed my family and help people. So why'd he'd have to die? The good guys aren't supposed to die." Tseten rubs his eyes, tears flowing from his eyes and falling to the ground. "I wanna learn to fight! I wanna be strong like my big brother and help people. I don't wanna leave my sister all alone. I wasn't strong enough to help my big brother. I could have helped him! If I did he'd still be here..."

>What do you say/do?
>Write in.
>>
>>5966284
Music fucked me up. Goshdangit Luo.

>Put a Hand on Tseten's shoulder, say nothing while he gets control of himself/continues, Just silently support.
Next generation of heros eh?

>>5966096
The bit about him being haunted was amusing.
>>
>>5966344
>Next generation of heros eh?
Could be but the big guy isn't ready to retire and pass the torch just yet.
>>
You place a reassuring hand on Tseten's shoulder and give the boy some time to grieve. Given that none of the adults had given themselves time to grieve, you doubt that the boy even knew how to. As the boy continues to cry the old goat looks at him with sadness and empathy. Even Shifu cannot maintain his detached state and simply shakes his head in sadness. "How the times have changed when we have a child claiming they were not strong enough to fight in a war. Truly it seems like our era of peace is coming to an end." Luo says. "Child, even if you were strong enough I do not think your brother would have wanted you to fight."

"Huh?" Tseten sniffs as he chokes a bit on his tears. Luo leans down and pulls out the small incense bowl he placed at the Sword of Heroes.

"When I was a younger man, I lost my three older brothers. They came and begged me to help them fight off an evil that had invaded our homeland and I said no. In my arrogance, I had sent them off to die. For many years, I blamed myself. Held the weight of guilt in my heart and solitude kept it locked there. It took many more to come to terms with the consequences of my actions and realize what I wanted to do with the life I earned with theirs. So believe me child, that when I hear your tale I know that you are not at fault. No one would have expected you to fight along side your brother. That was not your burden to bear. And even if you were, I'm certain your brother would have sent you away. You mentioned you had other family. I believe he would have wanted you to remain with them. Maybe he expected to reunite with you or maybe he didn't but I'm sure that he made his choice fully prepared to trade his life for you and your siblings. I may no longer teach at this school but I would like to ask you a different question. If your big brother was here and alive. What would you like to do? You say you don't want to leave your sister alone, that you weren't strong enough...but why do you want to become strong? If you want to help, you could be like Tai Lung's friend and be a medic. Ming has saved the lives of many without hurting anyone. Or you could be a storyteller like Xin Lan and inspire people with your stories. Maybe even be a shaman like Renshu and help people with their spiritual and emotional issues."

Shifu nods and clears his throat. "Your brother sounded like an honorable man. I do not think he would want you to make your choice based on his sacrifice. He would have wanted you to live a life that you would want not one based on his decisions. You don't need to repay him in anyway. What he did...he did because he loved you and I think he knew how much you loved him. You were family."

Tseten's brow furrows as he tries to process this through his sorrow. "So...You won't teach me how to fight? Real fighting like teacher Tai Lung? But...I answered honestly." He asks confused. Shifu shakes his head.
>>
"I believe you mean every word you said, young man. Your honesty is not what is being called into question. To put it simply, do you want to learn Kung Fu for your own sake or do you want to learn Kung Fu because you feel like you failed your brother?" He replies perhaps a bit coldly. Shifu's face softens and he adopts a more sympathetic tone. "If you truly wish to learn Kung Fu then I will ask you to do this. Spend the next week with your family. Talk to them, live with them and enjoy what your brother fought so hard to keep safe. If, at the end of the week, you still wish to learn then we will speak again. Know this however, there is no shame in deciding to not pursue the path of Kung Fu. There is wisdom in knowing that there are things more important out there than simply learning how to fight."

Tseten sits for a moment as he goes over Shifu's words. Eventually he nods. "Ok. I'll spend sometime with big sis and the others. I can help her like big brother did." You gently squeeze the boy's should.

"Come on Tseten. Let's go back to the others." You say getting to your feet and helping the boy up. "Thank you for your time, father. Luo." Shifu gives you a simple nod and Luo gives you a polite wave. You and Tseten head outside where you are greeted by the night sky and the glittering stars. The two of you spend a bit walking in silence before the boy speaks up.

"Teacher. Do you think I should learn Kung Fu? Do you think that's what Tenzin would want me to?" He asks looking up at you with tear stained eyes.

>What do you say?
>Tell Tenzin that you think he should. He wanted to be a guard like his older brother before any of this ever happened. You think he'd make a good martial artist.
>Say no. The path of Kung Fu is a long one full of sacrifice. His studies might keep him away from Amala and his siblings. Even though they'll live at the base of the mountain, he might not have a lot of time to spare for them with training.
>Say that the decision is not yours to make. The meaning of Kung Fu is different from person to person. Yours was power, Po's was to protect people, Oogway's was for discovery. It's up to Tenzin to determine what Kung Fu means to him and if he can achieve his goals via other means. You will be there to offer support as long as you can but whatever his decision Tseten can say that it was his and his along. That in itself is the greatest strength one can have.
>Write in.
>>
>>5968463
>Say that the decision is not yours to make. The meaning of Kung Fu is different from person to person. Yours was power, Po's was to protect people, Oogway's was for discovery. It's up to Tenzin to determine what Kung Fu means to him and if he can achieve his goals via other means. You will be there to offer support as long as you can but whatever his decision Tseten can say that it was his and his along. That in itself is the greatest strength one can have.

Any answer we give will taint his view of the topic. He needs to make his heart firm on the matter.

>>5967492
Im reminded of a quote by skywalker.
"Bane says the force is like poison, powerful only when concentrated and hoarded but the force is like Fire, an endless and unlimited warmth that can be spread from candle to candle until the whole world glows orange."
>>
>>5968463
>>
>>5968701
>>5968609
Two votes. Nice. Writing.
>>
You get on one knee and look right into Tseten's eyes. "That's not my choice to make. Nor can I say what your brother would have wanted." You say gently. "All I can say is that Kung Fu is more than just fighting. It's meaning is different from person to person. For me it was power. For the Dragon Warrior it was merely to protect the very people who underestimated him. For my old master, Oogway, it was to discover new things in life. If you want to pursue the life of a martial artist then you must find out what Kung Fu means to you and if you can achieve that goal via other means." You give the boy a reassuring smile. "Know this though, as your old teacher I will offer whatever help I can during the time I'm here. No matter what you chose to do, martial arts or not, always remember that the choice was made by you and you alone. That alone is something to be proud of and that is also one of the greatest strengths a person can have."

"But...but how will I know if I made the right choice?" Tseten asks. "My big brother always-" You cut the boy off and shake your head.

"We don't. No one does. That's why people are so scared of making their own decisions. That's why it requires strength of character to make our own choices and stick with them." You place a hand on the boy's shoulder once more. "A young girl followed an evil man and an assassin. Now she's the leader of an entire city. Two siblings who knew only pain and suffering opened themselves up to strangers. Now they have a family that will never abandon them no matter how many times they mess up. A young man who everyone saw as a failure believed in his own strength. Now he's the greatest warrior in China. A killer decided on a whim to save a few merchants. Now he's off to save the very country that condemned him. Chan Ming, Xin Lan, Renshu, Po...Tai Lung. None of us knew where our choices would take us but we all decided that no one else would choose for us any longer. It's a leap of faith, Tseten. That's all it is." You stand up once more. "All we can ask of you is that you make your own choice. If it means choosing to run an orphanage or becoming a painter then as long as it's your own decision we'll be proud of you." The young man looks at you for a long time and you wonder if you may have over spoken. "We should get going. I'm sure the others are wondering where we are. I don't want to face your sister and Ming when they're upset." You joke.
>>
---

You expected to find a very grumpy Tigress and a very smug Xin Lan when you return to where you left the kids. Instead you find Ming, Amala, and Tigress hauling out tables and various tableware. The kids were playing nearby and pretending to wash dishes with a few wooden cups and plates. "Tai Lung! There you are. Come help us set up!" Ming shouts and waves you over.

"What's the occasion?" You ask as you heft the table with a single hand and grab a handful of plates with the other. Tseten hurries over to take more dishes from their sister's hands. You move and set the table next to the one Tigress was finishing setting down and making a longer table. "And where's Xin?"

"Xin is off getting dinner. Well part of it. We'd ask your father but I figure we shouldn't drag him into our shenanigans." Ming replies and begins to set the tables. "I figured if we're bending the rules already, we might as well stretch them out a bit more. Xin's gone down to that noodle place you promised to take the kids to. They're grabbing as much take out as they can carry but we figure with what little money we have it won't be enough." She claps her hands to get rid of the dust from them. "So you and I are going to make dinner for everyone. It might not be you taking them to eat at your favorite noodle place but I doubt the kids will mind if it means eating in a palace."

"W-wait...I can't. You know what'll happen if I step foot into a kitchen." You stammer. Ming shoots you a devious grin.

"You can make meat buns. Renshu taught you how and since you can now make something edible then that means you're eligible to be drafted." They tease. "Besides, the kids will absolutely love to eat something made by one of their heroes. I've seen you fight off nearly 2 dozen men so you can buck up and do this too." You sigh and shake your head at Ming's fearlessness.

"Alright. Alright. But you're responsible for anything that happens." You warn. "Go and have fun with your siblings Tseten. I'm apparently drafted." You joke.

"Ok." Tseten makes his way to his siblings before stopping and turning to face you. "Thank you, Teacher."
>>
----

"Tai Lung. The Jade Palace is not a place for parties." You hear your father call out from the other side of the table. Beside him sat the members of the Brotherhood who all looked thoroughly out of place. Truth be told, you were having a bit of trouble hearing what he was saying given that Amala's various siblings were sat immediately after and were all vying for Tigress's attention. On the opposite end, you sat with your family and Amala, who appeared to be on the verge of tears once more.

"My apologies father but I did make a promise and you raised me to honor my word." You shout back as you try to hide your amusement. You knew your father well enough that his words were simply a front. The palace had not been this alive in years and given the heavy atmosphere after the last few days, you could tell he was grateful for some levity.

Just as you had warned, there were a few setbacks in the kitchen when you once confused diced apples for diced potatoes and nearly started a small fire when your cooking times were thrown off. Fortunately, Ming had learned a lot about leadership and micro managing as the Exarch and the two of you were quickly able to bounce back.

Xin Lan, on the other hand, decided to spend an extra bit of time to barter, hustle, and haggle their way into some "extra" money. Combined with the extra food you and Ming made what was supposed to be a small potluck had become more of a feast and seemed like overkill. You didn't want to know how the bunny managed to buy two whole pots worth of noodles and broth nor did you like it when they mentioned, "I'll need all those pots and bowls when we're done so no one notices that they're missing."

Setting that aside for later and then wrestling the first potsticker of the meal from Xin Lan's chopsticks, you settle in for what is going to be a nice meal.

>What do you do?
>Scoot up next to Ming and talk to her.
>Talk to Xin while keeping an eye on them for any mischievousness.
>Go sit next to the kids and see if you can alleviate some of Tigress's attention.
>Talk to Amala. She looks like she's torn between cheering and crying.
>Go and sit with your father and Luo.
>Write in.
>>
>>5969062
Right. . This is a chance to try and "heal" tigress. The issue of her seeing us as a monster and waiting for the other shoe to drop, because she defined herself as the hero to slay our monster.

>See if we can alleviate some of her attention.
>"They are all over you like white on rice, whats the secret?" And if she stonewalls us, "Have you considered becoming an orphanage matron? It'll be a lively house make no mistake."
Prod her about the kids, Use it to highlight some of her present abilities. Maybe mention some of the other five, gauge her reaction to them being roped in as her helpers
>>
>>5969083
Are you sure you wish to do this? Absolutely sure? Because you'll be leaving the poor nation of Ming's plate defenseless against best girl the bun menace. I'll get to writing tonight.
>>
You pile some more food on your plate and with a stern, "Save me some noodles or you'll really end up being a fluff butt." You head towards Tigress and the children. Xin Lan gives a vague nod but they were already focusing on their next target, Ming's plate.

Tigress herself was trying to both simultaneously eat her food and speak to the kids. She had a perpetual flustered look on her face, more out of what seemed to be genuine surprise that the kids adored her so much and being unsure how to properly act around them with so many adults nearby rather than any sort of embarrassment. You can't help but chuckle as you hear some familiar questions such as if she can split a mountain in half or if she was a princess of some kind. "You know you don't need to answer all of their questions." You say with amusement. "Yes. She can probably split a mountain in half and she's also probably a princess too. She lives here too, you know." You tease. The kids eyes widen at that revelation and Tigress begins to blush harder. "You know the kids are quite fond of you. Too me months to get their attention and you did it in a few hours last I checked. What's your secret?"

Tigress opens her mouth to say something but she seems to catch herself and glares at you. You're not sure if she's glaring at you because she can't speak openly with the children around or if she is glaring at you because she thinks you're using the children as a shield. In a controlled and somewhat strained tone of voice she says, "Just because I left the Five doesn't mean I lost my social graces. A master must be able to connect with they people they are meant to protect lest they lose themselves to hubris." The last bit of that sentence seemed to have an extra bit of venom just for you. You choose to ignore it and take a seat next to her. With a small flourish you make a few dumplings appear appear in your hand. It's not as good as Xin Lan, who could make it seem as if there was truly nothing there with a mere flick or their fingertips but it's enough to surprise the kids as you hand them some of your food.
>>
"Have you ever considered running an orphanage?" You ask idly. "It'd be a very lively home." Tigress eyes you suspiciously. No doubt she was doing her best trying to figure out what angle you were coming from or at the very least what your true end game was. Funnily enough, you see a lot of your father in her confused look and you wonder if the others see the same resemblance when you're confused. You'd have to ask them later. "But you're right. Being a master is more about fighting. It's also about speed to make sure the kids don't run away or sneak off somewhere. A high sense of awareness to make sure they're up to no good. Strength to wrangle them into bed or to take a bath." You chuckle again. "Something you have in spades. Maybe you can get the rest of the Five to help pitch in. Can you imagine? The Dragon Warrior in an apron?" You let out a loud laugh. "He did mention something about having a family restaurant. Noodles I think..."

Tigress recovers from your strange questioning and buys herself some time by gracefully eating some noodles. "I'm quite happy where I am right now and I don't see myself changing occupation any time soon or ever." She stays stiffly after gathering her thoughts. "Whatever your strange fantasies may be."

>What do you say?
>Ask her if she's sure about that but don't bring up her anger. Approach the subject by letting her know that you've been talking with Xin Lan about retirement. Once you find Renshu of course.
>Say that it may seem strange but you've come to realize that you find more enjoyment in using your talents and experience for mundane tasks rather than their intended purpose. Renshu especially liked cooking with his. You on the other hand have found joy in teaching and physical labor. Maybe you'll attempt crafting in the future.
>Continue to tease Tigress. Talk more about how the Five would pitch in at this fictional orphanage. Think of a tale that would make Xin Lan and Luo proud.
>Change the subject. See what else you can get Tigress to talk about. Maybe you'll be able to break through to her in some small way. (What do you talk about?)
>Write in.
>>
>>5971777
>Are you sure? Teaching is a fun vocation, Skill with children is an art form, it might be an idea to consider.
>I'm aware you don't especially care for my thoughts on the matter, but if you'll indulge me, What then do you intend to do when I've gone? Even if you don't believe I'll remain out of china, You're still at least two decades my junior, I'll kick the bucket long before you. What then?

I'm not exactly a social mastermind and I know she'll tie the teasing into an opening. But oh well.
>>
>>5971886
Supporting
>>
>>5971886
>>5971943
Still poking at Tigress. The war against Xin's tiny hands goes on and surprisingly, going well. Writing.
>>
"Are you sure? Teaching is a fun vocation. Personally I found it to be quite fulfilling. Being able to connect with kids is a skill all of it's own. Some would say it's an art that requires mastery in of itself. Could be an idea to consider." You say. Tigress opens her mouth but you cut in. "I'm not as young as I used to be and you're younger still. Probably 2 decades my junior. So even if I never intended to remain outside of China, which I will as hard as it is to believe, you'd out live me for a long long time. What would you do after I'm gone?"

"Your ego might not allow you to believe it but you're not the sole focus of my life." Tigress says coldly. "There will always be someone who needs to be stopped."

You weren't so sure about Tigress's statement but you don't let your face show it. "I suppose you're right but you also have the Five to do that as well. I just think that a change of pace could provide a new view of things. It certainly did for me and it certainly did for Luo." You take a bite out of your food. "Like you said, a master must be able to connect with the people they swore to protect. It's kind of hard to do that if they still see you as Master Tigress, Kungfu Master." You grab some food off your plate. Placing a single noodle down, you place two grains of rice on opposite ends. "Right now, that's all everyone sees you as. You're this hero, a legend. Someone they hope to be, someone even the dragon warrior could never see as an equal. That barrier also affects your thinking too. People become...objects. Things that have to be completed or saved." You push one grain over to the other side. "But if you stop being that, even temporarily, go to what they perceive to be their level. A teacher," You wave to Xin Lan. "A gambler." You motion to Ming. "A medic. Then suddenly, you're just like them. No longer do you have this air of mysticism. More importantly, people begin to care about who you are not the title and duties you're supposed to do. And that I feel is what is the most rewarding." The table seems to go quiet despite the party going on all around you. For a moment, it seems like the only people there are you and Tigress as she stares at you, her eyes angry and confused, her brow furrowed and unsure.
>>
"Don't play with your food." Tigress tells you quietly, coldly. You give her a soft smile. If that was the best she could come up with to get you to go away, then at the very least she was listening to what you were saying.

"Right. Sorry. I better go and see what Xin's up to. No doubt, they're trying to sneak food off of Ming's plate and she needs all the food she can get. Otherwise she'll be thin as a reed for the rest of her days." You clean the table and get up to go back to your old seat, leaving Tigress to her thoughts. You find yourself sitting down next to a grumpy, and very obviously soaked, bunny. Judging by the color staining their fur, someone had poured a very large portion of tea on them.

"Don't ask." They grumple.

"Trust me. I don't even want to know. But I will say that I don't think new idea of what constitutes make up looks good on you. " You chuckle and stuff Xin Lan's mouth with some bread before they can snap back.

>What do you do now? There's a little bit of time left before it gets too late and everyone needs to head to bed.
>Scoot up next to Ming and talk to her.
>Talk to Xin while keeping an eye on them for any mischievousness.
>Talk to Amala. She looks like she's torn between cheering and crying.
>Go and sit with your father and Luo.
>Write in
>>
>>5973969
>Talk with Amala

I hope her day is relaxing.
>>
>>5973990
Asking Amala about her girl's day out. Writing.
>>
You scoot your chair over closer to Amala and Ming who were chatting. Strangely, you note that Ming's cup is empty. Amala, despite bouncing between being on the verge of tears and laughing, looked better than she had in months. There was no magical transformation that had occurred but it was the subtle things. Her hair hung down her shoulders, loose and untangled, her clothes though still patched and worn had it's frayed edges mended and were lighter and recently washed. The bags under her eyes were now gone and though they were red from crying were brighter than they were this morning. "How's the food? I'd recommend you avoid the meat buns though. I made them." You say with a smile as you set your chair down.

"Mr. Tai Lung!" Amala says with a start. Ming pushes you gently.

"Don't cause trouble. I dealt with the bunny. I can deal with you." She teases. "The meat buns are fine. I made sure of it."

"How've you been? I hope Ming didn't push you too hard with her 'tasks'." You ask with a chuckle. Amala blushes and tugs at her hair shyly.

"Oh...uhh..." She stammers for a moment. "I didn't really do much."

"After she bathed, I gave her the order to sleep." Ming explains. "I patched up her clothes while she was out." Amala nods shyly in affirmation.

"The hotsprings were really nice. I don't know how long we were there." She adds quietly before stopping herself. "Thank you."

"It's no problem. Though if I'll be honest, I had only planned to show you all around the mountain. Xin's the one that suggested giving you some alone time. Their ability to pick up on social stuff is far better than mine." You admit. "Though I'm glad you got some time to relax."

"I hope the others weren't too much of a handful." Amala says.

"Oh no. Turns out that practicing martial arts for most of your life is an excellent way of learning how to handle energetic kids. With two of us around, I'm afraid they stood no chance of wearing us down. Plus they were more excited about hiking around the mountain than thinking up ways of causing trouble." You laugh. "You've been working very hard this past year. Harder than anyone else. You deserved some time to yourself."

Amala nods. "Thank you. For this, the food." She rubs her eyes. "It's just been...I mean I'm used to it. Taking care of the kids but back then Tenzin was around so we'd split..." Amala shakes her head. "I just can't believe." She starts up before having to clear her throat and fight back tears. "I miss him so much..." She whispers. Ming places a hand on Amala's shoulder.

>What do you say?
>Write in.
>>
>>5975506
>He's gone Amala, But he's never far from you. To his memory.

Let her grieve and cry, it's a good outlet. The dead deserve a time to be mourned
>>
>>5975572
Tai Lung, murderer, monster, and now the picture of mental health. I suppose it was either that or let a certain bun drive him mad. Writing.
>>
You reach over and pull Amala into a hug. "It's all right. Let it out." You say gently. "He's gone but he'll never truly leave us. We'll keep his memory alive and we'll persevere. It's what he would have wanted you to do." Amala holds you tightly and buries her face into your chest. You feel your chest grow damp as the girl tries to sob quietly. You don't say anything more and simply pat her on the back. She would grieve in her own way. All you do say in a quiet tone, "Ming can you and Xin take her back to your room? I don't think she'd want the kids to see her like this."

"Don't worry kids. Your older sister is just really happy for this meal." Ming says extra loudly as she gently taps Amala on the shoulder and pulls her away. "We're going to go and see if there's anything left to drink in the kitchen. Come on Xin, you're really good a finding stuff." Xin Lan makes a point to do a forward handspring off the table and distract everyone. As expected, only the children are easily distracted leaving the adults to stare at you in confusion and Tigress to glare at you with full fury. You clear your throat.

"Uhh..." You glance around and swipe a nearby cup. "I'd like to offer a toast. It was together that we overcame our hardships in the forest and it will be together that we move forward to a brighter future. Not just as the people of the library and the Valley of Peace but as a new group, a new people, forged from the bonds that we'll build here." You say raising your cup. An awkward silence lingers at the table before Luo raises his own glass.

"Hear, hear!" He agrees with a soft smile. The other adults raise their glasses soon after.

"To a brighter future." Mida repeats.

"To many peaceful years." Shifu adds.

"Cheers!" The kids scream soon after, all of them hoisting their cups up with such force that a few of them spill some of their drink. With that, the atmosphere was restored back to it's usual revelry and you all continue eating.

---

It didn't take long for Amala to return to the table and after an hour or so the party began to die down. Soon after, various plates and cups began to go missing along with Xin Lan as they vanish into the night. Once you and Ming finish putting away the rest of the tables and dishes, you help with setting up the family with a spare room. You felt it rather rude to send Amala and her siblings away in the middle of the night so it was up to you to make room for them to sleep. It didn't take long, a handful of blankets from a closet, some pillows from another and moving 2 or three beds together. Sure the room was slightly cramped because of it but you don't think they'd mind if their entire room was a nice soft place.
>>
Wrangling the kids to go bathe was another endeavor all to itself but you let Tigress and Amala handle that one only staying close by to hoist one or two kids who decided to try and sneak away back into the arms of the two women. Like many things, the experience was illuminating. You could only imagine doing this every day, not just for the kids here but for all those who were orphaned due to the attack. How many times did Amala have to try and soothe a child's crying? How many times was she asked why their parent's were never coming back? You feel a heavy weight on your shoulders as you think about it and about sending her back out into the village. You didn't want to, if you could you'd have allowed her to live here for the rest of her life. But that would be damning all the other kids and you couldn't do that. All you could take solace was in the fact that the whole village would probably come together as one to find homes or at the very least help raise the kids. You doubt the Brotherhood would neglect to build some kind of orphanage for them.

It's that thought that eases your mind and lets you slip into a dreamless sleep.

>What do you want to focus on next? Who do you want to spend some time with?
>Xin
>Ming
>Tigress
>Spend some time on your own.
>Write in
>>
>>5976542
>Xin
I would actually like to continue to practice and perfect our Merciful style. As I recall, Xins emotional stillness was one of the components, we have already got a good grasp of Mings empathy.

So if Xin isn't opposed, I'd like to practice with them assuming a state of blank/Open emotional presence.
>>
>>5976657
+1
>>
>>5977786
>>5976657
Gonna try and work on our new style. Asking Xin and no interruptions this time. I know you guys have been trying to get this going for a while and this is a good spot to do so. You still can't avoid philosophizing though. It's your dirty dirty habit. Writing.
>>
"I'm sorry. I didn't catch that. You want to learn what?" Xin Lan asks as they stop in the middle of their set. They give you a look that was a mixture of wondering if they heard you correctly and if so if you were joking.

You motion for them to continue. "I didn't say stop." You begin before catching yourself but it was too late. Xin Lan was already bearing a wide grin across their face. "Xin come on, this is serious." You start.

"Mmm...alright. But you owe me." They say smugly. "Oh the jokes I'm going to make with Ming..." You roll your eyes and shake your head. You place a few more weights onto Xin Lan's gear.

"You just earned yourself 5 more reps." You say as you tighten the vest and leg weights. "More importantly, I said I want you to teach me how to do that thing you do. You know, when you pull back and go emotionless." Xin Lan wiggles a bit as they try to get used to the new weight. You're about to remind them again when they speak up.

"You don't want to learn that." They say casually. "It's very boring. Listen, I know you're not as grumpy as you used to be but you're still our very favorite grumpy snow leopard. You don't wanna get rid of that."

"If you don't know how you don't need to avoid the topic." You say. "I can try and figure it out myself."

"I don't know...well I guess I kind of do. They did it to me so the information has to be locked in there somewhere but I could think of other ways that might work." Xin Lan replies standoffishly. "Like I said, it's not nearly as fun as my tease able big guy."

"Xin, I'm not asking you to make it permanent. I just need to know how it works so I can work on this style I want to make. One where...I don't need to destroy someone to stop them." You press.

"But destroying people is what we do. It's like our whole thing." They counter. Xin Lan sets their weights down and leans against a well as well as someone carrying double their body weight can. "What's this all about? I feel like you're holding out on me. We've been talking about retirement, finding places to live, things to do after we finish up in the north. Something's up. It's either something happened or you're going soft." They wait a beat. "You're not dying are you? You'd tell us if you're dying right? If you don't I'll never forgive you."

>What do you say?
>Back off a bit and try another angle. Ask why they're so apprehensive to teach you. If you can assuage their worry then maybe they'll be more willing.
>Tell them that this is important to you and you can't do it without their help. They can trust you with this information.
>Say you're not dying and explain why you want to learn how to do this. (Why do you want to learn this new style?)
>Drop the subject for now and talk about something else. You can broach the topic at a later point. (What do you want to talk about?)
>Write in.
>>
>>5978189
>I think I'm just old Xin. I was in my twenties when I was a prodigy able to face a garrison of the valley and reap through to the palace. After 20 years, I'm still able to handle any force the imperial or mongolian armies can throw my way, and now after my journey I'm more ferocious than ever. but now I have you and Renshu and Ming, and a selfish part of me wishes to enjoy life with your presence rather than always on the move. That's the source of my thoughts about retirement and things to do.

>Say we're not dying and explain why we wish to learn the new style. Explaination: If I also wish to be totally honest Xin, half of this is me going soft. I will not kill again, and if I can reduce this even further, then I would gladly do so. the other half. . . is that this excites me. A challenge I've not had in years, creating a style inspired by my friends, full of stringent requirements and brain achingly difficult conditions to put together? It's invigorating. That it might never be learnt again doesn't matter, when compared to the joy of learning it.

Tai Lung is a Kung Fu fanatic, while a lot of the reason may come down to a desire for altruism, another large part will come down on the fact that he LOVES kung fu and this shit is the best test he could ever hope to find
>>
>>5978228
Sorry for the absence lads. Time to write.
>>
You sigh and sit down and rest against the training hall before inviting Xin Lan to do the same. "I think I'm just old Xin."

"You're in your mid 40s big guy. That's like...nothing. Luo's been around since forever, so has your old master before he moved on. What about Ming's predecessor? He was even older than all of us. You can't use that as an excuse."

You give Xin Lan a look. "I think they're the exception than the rule. At least in terms of the average life span. Most people don't live longer than 70 or 80. Even if I do live longer, I was jailed when I was in my 20s for nearly that long as well if not more. That's half of my life. Before then, I was able to single handedly conquer the Valley and the Jade Palace. 20 years later, I can say that I've not only returned back to that strength but I surpassed it. Even so...I've spent majority of my life fighting and mostly alone. Think upon all I accomplished with that...it's nothing. I have very little I can look back on fondly. Certainly things I can remember enjoying but nothing I think is worth passing on. Now that I've met you, Ming and your brother I can't help but feel the urge to settle down and enjoy the rest of my life with you all in peace rather than always be on the move." You motion around you. "I like...this. Just us living and whatever mischief that comes from playing cards or trying out new foods. I want to make more memories of that and less of you all worrying if I died for the 5 or 6th time."

"So you are dying."

"What? No. I'm not dying Xin." You pinch the bridge of your nose. "Xin...you and Ren...I love the two of you dearly. The two of you were never given the chance Ming and I were to choose our own lives, make our own mistakes. I don't want your whole lives to just be fighting and maiming. I want you two to go out and find out other things you love. Just like Ren found with cooking or you did with writing. There could be other things out there you could enjoy, other things you can offer the world beyond just staining your hands red with the blood of others be even if it is for good. That's why I've been talking about settling down and building a life beyond traveling." You sigh. "Of course, I love martial arts. I'm a prodigy. Maybe the best in the world and I just found another challenge. This style is different. It's has rules, restrictions, things I would never have thought of putting together while fighting. Not to mention it takes what I learned from those closest to me? I can't help but be excited. I just can't do it alone. That's why I'm asking for you help."
>>
Xin Lan sits there and thinks for a bit, twiddling their thumbs. You simply wait. You had said your piece and ultimately it was up to them for to decide if they wanted to try and teach you what they knew. Eventually they speak up, "If you love us and want to spend the rest of your days with us then why do you want to risk losing it all?"

"What do you mean?" You ask.

"You should already know how hard it was to get me out of my shell. It's kind of a miracle that it even happened I think. So...why do you want to risk ending up like that? If something goes wrong, it's highly likely that you may never feel anything ever again. You want to cut out a part of yourself you were born with and something that was never meant to be removed." They say simply.

>What do you say?
>Write in.
>>
>>5980001
>I don't Xin. I'd like to learn how to put a lid over my emotions, A mask over my face. A lesser immitation and an imperfect copy of what was done to you. Getting rid of emotion isn't the purpose.

>But as for why to risk it? Because it won't go wrong. We are experts in our fields and masters of our crafts, taking exceeding caution to learn a form of reflexive meditation. If I truly suspected that the odds of such failure were sizable, I'd never do it. I've given up memories before, thoughts and impulses, but I Don't give up family.

So while Xin has a valid fear here. I dont hink we are gonna use magic to make it permenant. If I understand correctly, this form of learning would be to learn super stoicism. In which case, the only risk of that smothering our emotions is if our emotions werent bright, burning and self perpetually getting us into trouble. Honestly we might be able to mask em for a time, but we are never going to be able to surpress it forever.
[The style also requires us to still feel empathy in this state, and use the zen like a mirror of the other persons emotional state. So again, pure cutting out emotions isnt what we aim for xin]

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.