[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/qst/ - Quests

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
Draw Size ×
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • Roll dice with "dice+numberdfaces" in the options field (without quotes).

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Westeros_divided.png (2.13 MB, 1170x683)
2.13 MB
2.13 MB PNG
It is the year 404 AC and Westeros lies a broken land, ravaged by war, sickness and ambition for the
vacant Iron throne, from the ancient Wall in the north to the evergreen Rhoynar of Dorne, all lay claim to the Iron throne or those older kingships of the age of Kings. It is a time of chaos as the continent faces an
uncertain future as the only authority recognised by all is the sword, in such times a man can be anything he wishes, lowborn or high, rich and poor, he is only limited by the ebb and flow of fate and the reach and grasp of his ambitions.

But he makes what he does of it and only the gods know where he ends....
—-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Twitter:TBA When I get to it
Our Hero deeds & companions: https://pastebin.com/DxjYPx9X
Archive: https://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/qstarchive.html?tags=Westeros:Interregnum
>>
>>5959556
You emerged from drowning blackness and clawing twilight with a desperate gasp that gurgles from your chest with a horrid rattling that sends you to shivers, thick bile billows up with it that tastes of Iron & sickness, your skin burned with the itch of cheap roughspun wool and the heat of a dying fire, It was fevered too with a slight sweat that cooled as you returned to the waking world of dry land.

Relief washed over you though you felt Wretched parched and like a kettle boiled as you realized the rough stone walls and hay strewn floors of a poor cottage and not some Abyssal cave or hellish rockface you had been nightmarishly trapped in, you drew on sweet smokey air instead of salt and water as you mastered yourself over the absurdity of waking nightmares. You had no measure of the time save the dying embers of the rough stone fireplace in front of you which betrayed the lateness of the hour though as your eyes adjusted to the dark you felt the dark of the hour of the wolf lifting outside, no creature save a old mongrel was host to your present though you had meet the tenant.

You had been at the door, demanding answers of the old man, of your Grandsire the “Kingcrab” and his death and the knowledge he had of it and then the world had fallen out from under you with as your legs had failed you and you had plunged back into that blackness you had swam too, where things that could not be dwelled.

You shuddered at the memory, even the madness of the nightmare seemed too pale next to your living memory though it felt no less mad than the product of nightmare or dreaming though you knew it too be true. The old mongrel gave a loud yawn pulling you from your wandering into the present, you made to cast off the blanket and gave an ugly hiss as fire ignited in your muscles, the small hope of healing proved vain and you cursed when rising proved even worse to the point of your stomach rolling with hot bile and it was only through physically biting your lip that you found the mastery to not soil yourself.
>Alyn Celtigar is Injured!Alyn is now suffering a ‘’mild’’ Fever

God’s, how had you even made it off the beach like this? Even standing was a hard task and movement was slow as you had to steady yourself as the world tilted on its axis with nearly every step, you near lost your balance on the first and knocked a wooden bowl to the ground as you staggered and grasped a chair with your second.

[1/2]
>>
>>5959560
You needed something to steady yourself

>Crab’s claw, your Ancient heirloom and the object of your abyssal quest sat next to the fire. It was a sturdy thing, something about its steel and presence made the world still…. or at least tilt less. [Haughty] [Missing: Strange Idol]
>Rest, Gods above nothing mattered more than rest, even the tiniest of expeditions was threatening to undo you, hopefully later you would be fit to even this small task. [Cynical] [Missing:Time]
>Water, you burned fiercely with every breath and exerted movement, someone had set a pitcher of water on the table and with it, the strange Idol given to you. [Taciturn] [Missing: Crab’s claw]
>>
>Holy shit is that you Herald?!
Yes, though I appear to have lost my trip in the move.
>Okay what happened?
Honestly I got writer's block & on top of that moving messed me up through January.
>Okay but its nearly April
Yeah, settling in took a bit also I had to get a new car and get my life back on track.
>So you’re back?
To put it simply, Yes.
>So why did it take three weeks after announcing this on /qtg/
A combination of writer's block, having to get back to explain this and getting distracted by friends and family, as well as the unexpected but pleasant return of STV. Okay I may have failed to mention a crippling addiction to managed democracy and Ixion

I strongly advise any new readers to read the archive for context and to any previous players I offer apologies for my silent retreat

QM Reminder:Alyn is wounded, poorly clothed and physically spent, there will only be a few checks depending on your choices between here and dragonstone, however Alyn’s state and choices WILL HEAVILY IMPACT A LOT OF THE UPCOMING OUTCOMES OF THIS ADVENTURE and will have consequences both good and bad, think carefully of the angle and what you wish to achieve from this, you may need to think grander and with more foresight than you have previously as a lot is weighing on what is done
>>
>>5959562
Welcome back from the depths! I hope the voters will be more cordial in this thread and the possibility of getting this quest back on track. So much potential here.

>Rest, Gods above nothing mattered more than rest, even the tiniest of expeditions was threatening to undo you, hopefully later you would be fit to even this small task. [Cynical] [Missing:Time]
>>
>>5959562
>>5959564
>>5959566

>Crab’s claw, your Ancient heirloom and the object of your abyssal quest sat next to the fire. It was a sturdy thing, something about its steel and presence made the world still…. or at least tilt less. [Haughty] [Missing: Strange Idol]

Based on that message I switch to this in the hopes we find the idol later and that it is not Lost. That loss of time seems like the easiest choice and therefore the least trustworthy.
>>
>>5959562
>>Crab’s claw, your Ancient heirloom and the object of your abyssal quest sat next to the fire. It was a sturdy thing, something about its steel and presence made the world still…. or at least tilt less. [Haughty] [Missing: Strange Idol]
ill go with this glad to have you back qm
>>
>>5959567
>I switch to this in the hopes we find the idol later and that it is not Lost

don't worry you are not at risk of permanently losing the missing Item at this point in time. well except time
>>
>>5959562

Based, glad to see you return, Herald
>>
File: ancestor crab.jpg (77 KB, 564x783)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
>>5959560
In honor of your return here is a piece of art.

>A possible valerian ancestor of the Celtigar family.
>>
File: dire crab.jpg (108 KB, 564x752)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
>>5959571

>The legendary crab that was slain in a time of magic to craft Crab's Claw .
>>
>>5959562

COME ALL YOU YOUNG SAILOR MEN, LISTEN TO ME, I'LL SING YOU A SONG OF THE FISH IN THE SEA...
>>
>>5959580
AND IT'S WINDY WEATHER, BOYS, STORMY WEATHER, BOYS! WHEN THE WIND BLOWS, WE'RE ALL TOGETHER, BOYS!
>>
>>5959584
BLOW YE WINDS WESTERLY, BLOW YE WINDS, BLOW. JOLLY SOU'WESTER, BOYS, STEADY SHE GO
>>
>>5959587
UP JUMPS THE EEL WITH HIS SLIPPERY TAIL, CLIMBS UP ALOFT, AND REEFS THE TOPSAIL AND IT'S-
>>
>>5959562
>>
>>5959562

>>5959589
-WINDY WEATHER, BOYS, STORMY WEATHER, BOYS! WHEN THE WIND BLOWS, WE'RE ALL TOGETHER, BOYS! BLOW YE WINDS WESTERLY, BLOW YE WINDS, BLOW. JOLLY SOU'WESTER, BOYS, STEADY SHE GO!
>>
>>5959562
It's back!
>>
Great to see there's some interest in this continuing, Update in a bit after I get out from under some things.
>>

If it lets us keep the idol then so let us be late. FOR FISH WIFE.
>>
>>5959562
>>Rest, Gods above nothing mattered more than rest, even the tiniest of expeditions was threatening to undo you, hopefully later you would be fit to even this small task. [Cynical] [Missing:Time]
>>
Sorry Fellas, I'm fading and I have to be up in the morning so the updates going to have to wait a little, the good news is your going to get a doozy of a update tommorow.
>>

https://youtu.be/G1on_N1R9vc?si=5HQmNY2GqX5T4c1d

Valyrian steel was said to be magic, forged in Dragonfire and tempered in blood and the spellcraft of old Valyria before the doom, they were lighter, stronger and sharper than any other steel, untouchable by even Dragonfire and unforgeable in this age by even the most skilled smiths. To hold one was to hold something of that bygone age and lords were known to give up even their own children before their ancestral blade.

Crab’s claw proved all this to be true and was the finest weapon you had ever seen, in truth you could scarce believe anything was it’s rival, the haft alone was near a height with you if not a head taller and its slumber beneath the sea had left no discernable along the metalwork and only a soft mossy lichen that still clung to the wood. The quality of the haft however was nothing next to the axehead itself, It had been wrought in obvious mimicry of a crab’s claw though much larger than any you had ever seen and featured none of the natural barbarity of it’s inspiration, the rippling surface was unblemished by mark or damage that would mar even the best of lesser steel and pale chromatic colors danced across the dark waves that seemed to drink all else. Arcane runes traced the guard, blade’s and socket imparting their ancient blessings on the blade in their silent tongue and you felt a pang of regret that your Family had long since forgotten the ancient tongue of Valyria.

A perilous tilting step forward brought you in grasp of it and the touch of its haft brought sweet relief as the world righted itself a touch and you felt a calmness overcome you, this was right, you were a warrior born of house Celtigar, to hold this weapon was your right by birth and as natural as your right to rule. You felt your chest swell at the thought and that had been you and you alone had returned it to your house’s hands.

After a time you felt well enough to cast your gaze around the hovel, the darkness of the room revealed little more, the makeshift hay cot you had risen from strewn with roughspun wool blankets, a earthen pitcher and bowl, a bowl of some dark meal you had cast to the floors as the world tilted a simple kitchen with the remains of some past meal, beyond that not a creature stirred besides the old mongrel and you doubted that their was anyone else though you thought the old man lived here.

Despite the world righting itself and your settling stomach the sight of food sent you green, likewise taking water proved a task not worth the pain and you settled for washing your face and wetting your lips as best possible, the cool water felt a blessing as you felt the heat retreat from you.

[1/2]
>>
File: Crab Knight Crab king.png (518 KB, 508x511)
518 KB
518 KB PNG
>>5961188
The Darkness had lifted somewhat as you finished, every inch of you was a tapestry of cuts, bruises or worse and even the feather touch of water was a reminder of your own mortality, you wondered again how you had managed to even leave the beach if you had been in such a state. You pondered for a moment the merit of returning to rest near the fire and in all likelihood the realm of waking and pain but discarded that when you spied a figure out of the corner of your eye in the predawn light at the edge of the garden.

It appeared the old man had been the source of your respite, he had neither fled nor robbed you as you might have worried, the Idol that had been given to you had been absent in the hovel and for a wretched time you had worried it had been taken though you chastised yourself that a peasant, an old man would know little of its worth to you or of its fae gifter, still you were surprised upon your approach that the man held in his hand and you had to muster yourself so as to not make to snatch it from him.

He barely moved as you approached, though you knew he heard your approach, the labor of it was such that you doubted stealth was possible if your life depended on it, except perhaps if you played a corpse.

‘’Ye live, I see’’ was all he offered, he turned the idol curiously in his hand, inspecting it with a care you misliked, he had no right to hold it as he did, you alone had been given it and it near made your lip curl to see it in another man's hands.

‘’Was I so bad?’’ the question caused the old man to chuckle.

‘’Aye lad, ye were fevered and shaking and hot to the touch like a dyin’ man and scared my lil and her child somethin’ fierce, I had to send them on to my boy’’ the old man’s tone was light though you sensed a darkness to it, his eyes were shadowed and you could not trust his voice.

‘’You mentioned the crab king’’ you ventured but the old man waved you off.

‘’Aye I did lad, but thats a tale best left te yer kin’’ he clucked his tongue at your obvious bristling ‘’have some patience, no doubt ye’ll live longer than I will if yer a Celtigar and have some sense’’

That did little to assuage you and you could not hold your tongue ‘’You said you would tell me, old man’’ it was hard to keep your tone level and commanding and you sensed he caught the bitterness in your voice, with a rough sigh he turned to you, his eyes were dark but you could see a hint of pain in the dim light.

‘’Sparrow’s grief boy, let the dead be, ye seem to have plundered one grave today, we don’t need more ghosts marching in the night again’’ the look he gave you was hard and you returned one of your own, for a tense moment you thought you saw a echo of the man at arms Rickard in his eyes, with a curse the old man thumped the stone he sat upon and surrendered.

‘’Fine lad I’ll tell ye of him’’ his tone was somber and he bid you sit.

[2/2]
>>
File: Crab king Crab corpse.png (520 KB, 512x509)
520 KB
520 KB PNG
>>5961189
The old man's tale

>The old man had been a a sailor, he had worked on the ship tyrant, the ship all had called impossible and the Crab king mad for it, it had floated for a year to the worlds amazement until the fall of its master. [The tale of the Tyrant]
>The old man had been a common man at arms, he had followed the Crab king into battle and to victory on the mainland campaign until taking an arrow at the sack of Dragonstone. [The Campaign of King Crab]
>The old man had been a servant or as close to one as a armed guard could be, he saw much and more of the Crab king's court... and its demise.[The life of the Crab King]

Sorry if this is a let down, this was going to be much MUCH longer but I had to cut it due to time and other obligations, the rest will come on schedule.
>>
>>5961192
>The old man had been a servant or as close to one as a armed guard could be, he saw much and more of the Crab king's court... and its demise. [The life of the Crab King]
Might know Alyn's dad a bit. That crab helmet Alyn picked up as evidence is probably somewhere around here as well.
>>
>>5961192
>>The old man had been a a sailor, he had worked on the ship tyrant, the ship all had called impossible and the Crab king mad for it, it had floated for a year to the worlds amazement until the fall of its master. [The tale of the Tyrant]
crab ship
thanks for the update
>>
>>5961192
>The old man had been a servant or as close to one as a armed guard could be, he saw much and more of the Crab king's court... and its demise.[The life of the Crab King]
>>
>>5961192
>>
>>5961192
>>The old man had been a common man at arms, he had followed the Crab king into battle and to victory on the mainland campaign until taking an arrow at the sack of Dragonstone. [The Campaign of King Crab]
>>
>>5961192
>The old man had been a common man at arms, he had followed the Crab king into battle and to victory on the mainland campaign until taking an arrow at the sack of Dragonstone. [The Campaign of King Crab]
>>
>>5961192
>The old man had been a servant or as close to one as a armed guard could be, he saw much and more of the Crab king's court... and its demise
>>
>>5961192
>>The old man had been a servant or as close to one as a armed guard could be, he saw much and more of the Crab king's court... and its demise.[The life of the Crab King]
>>
>>5961192
>>
>>5961192
>>The old man had been a a sailor, he had worked on the ship tyrant, the ship all had called impossible and the Crab king mad for it, it had floated for a year to the worlds amazement until the fall of its master. [The tale of the Tyrant]
>>
>>5961192
>>The old man had been a servant or as close to one as a armed guard could be, he saw much and more of the Crab king's court... and its demise.[The life of the Crab King]
>>
>lose trip
>get dunked for the easter break

I swear theres going to be something tommorow but I can't promise anything tonight or on the weekend, is this the Curse /Qtg/ talks about?
>>
>>5962614
I think the curse is more limited to serious things like loss of employment, medical procedures, death of family members, mental illness episodes, and completely unforeseen time-sensitive issues. No need to stress, quality is worth the wait.
>>
>>5962640
also getting hit by cars i think 2 QMs have had that happen
>>
>>5962688
Honestly this is probably one of the better options, Gwynfryds got mostly a soft power skillset and this position robs her of a lot of its usefulness.
>>
>>5964442
Wrong ASOIAF quest mate
>>
>>5964476
Not the greatest endorsment to my attention if I'm mistaking my own quest for another.

Update inbound.
>>
>3 successes = the man’s wits and memory are unclouded by Age & Time and the retelling is glorious and true.

To hear the revelation that the man had once been pledged to your own house was a surprise was to say the least of the matter and were you a lesser man of poorer proprietary you might have stared like a slack jaw fool at the man, It was hard to believe such a low born man had stood guard in your Grandsire’s presence when your line had stood at it’s zenith.

The King Crab been born the third son of his lord Father, no one had thought much of him before his ascension to the lordship of house Celtigar for he had done little of note save for learn to sail, swim and fight, and he had sailed to White harbor, Sunspear & half of Essos by the time the old man had come into the service of his lord Father, to call him wild was to say the least of it, he had fought three duels by his seventeenth nameday and sired two bastards of noble blood of which he refused to abandon, despite a good match of high standing to a daughter of House Blackswann.

His Ascension to the throne of house Celtigar was only by chance and tragedy, the eldest brother’s had fallen to black bladed priest under a weirwood tree when the wolves had marched south, the second had been castrated and hung for some sin by the Sparrows in king’s landing and their lord father had died of a broken spirit not long after. The King Crab had not been prepared to rule as such and many had feared that the end of your house’s independence was neigh.

They had been proven wrong in due time, the Crab king had taken to the role with a vigor and diligence that had shocked even his friends & confidants, when house Sandworth of Dragonstone & house Velaryon had both sought to make a vassal of him he had cunningly set one against the other and claimed the bounty of their conflict with tariff and tribute from those merchant vessels that sought safer harbors in Blackwater bay.

[1/5]
>>
>>5964693
When the lords Malroy, Slynt and Cox had attempted to seize Crackclaw point by force, The Crab king had met them with ax in hand and smashed their armies with half their number and taken the castle of Rook’s rest by storm. When the Faith had sent a host of sparrows and Warrior's son’s to intercede on the behalf of lord Slynt and the Crab had smashed them too and seen to it that the high Septon himself paid the ransom of each and every knight, lordling, maiden and faithful septon and septa, it had been said thereafter that no man save King Lannister had been richer than the Crab King.

The court of Crab isle had been a lively place forever after, though not groomed to rule, the crab seemed to have a natural gravitas to him that attracted men to his cause whether highborn or low, men of great talent were drawn to him and could find a place in his court. The Crab had raised a hundred men to knighthood on the battlefield and even a prince of Sunspear had been drawn to him with promises of glory and battle, the court sung with the song of steel as much as it did with the sweet song of singers and musicians.

The sons & daughters of the Crab seemed no less blessed than he and there had been much talk of Kingly marriages to the elder sons & daughter and many lordlings had conspired in the hopes that their sons & daughters would be bound in marriage to such an auspicious man, each match had seemed well made and even his homeliest daughter had been wed to a Essos prince of some standing, though when asked of your own lord Father the old man held little recollection of him save for a young, quiet boy of some small years who looked much of his father but seemed little like him in temperament and who had earned his spurs through some chance injury against the fierce young lord Malroy who had seemed twice the man he recalled.

[2/5]
>>
>>5964695
Despite the wealth and glory the Crab King had won in his younger years it had seemed there had been no end to the ambition that had burned in him, always there had been some work or deed to be completed, some foe to vanquish and some new story to tell. When the Crab king had sought to build his ship the ’’Tyrant’’ the castle had near rioted at the cost of it and the council chambers had been wrought with hot accusations of mad folly, the Crab had persisted however and no contention seemed to persuade him, even after the first frame had broken under its own weight and the second rendered smoking ruin by thunder and storm, he had merely sent for more men and timber and though it had taken nigh a decade of labor and the strange workings of an Yi-ti shipmaster that the impossible thing had been built to the horror & awe of all who saw it for the thing was of such aspect and size that it seemed no less a nightmare than Balerion the black dread, or at least the old man claimed. The Crab King had held a tourney in celebration, such was its length and width of her hull that it could easily fit a gallery and then some of knights, lords & smallfolk in attendance.

The vividness of the old man's recollection was hard to dispute, he could recall names and things with a clarity that almost unnerved you though you doubted the tourney had been held, the ship hull you had witnessed had seemed not nearly as big tas to be fit to hold a tourney and the whole thing seemed a great folly.

The old man’s voice grew dark as he recalled the last days of the Crab king’s reign, few things had seemed as inevitable as the crowning of his liege lord, the court had been fierce with its talk and the Crab had grown proud with his glories, It had been talk of the wealth of the sapphire isle of Tarth and the rightfulness of marital conquest by his eldest sons that had set the Crab king to action though the old man bitterly recalled how disappointed the host had been when the sack of the Isle had proved more costly than the meager plunder that had been taken. none had been as wrathful as the Crab king however and the knight who had suggested the campaign, a Harry stone to the man’s recollection, had been thrown overboard in his plate armor.

[3/5]
>>
>>5964701
The host had been eager and hungry for battle when they had descended on the mainland with a ruthless appetite for violence, every castle and holdfast in reach had fallen with such ease and brutality that it shocked you to hear of the old man speak of it, the old man recounted with no small remorse of the pillage the host had set to all who had resisted their lord, it had only been at the concession of the high septon that the Crab king had turned from the city of King’s landing with his fleet full of plunder and set his eyes upon the one house who dared to still openly call him foe.

Much history had passed between Dragonstone and Crab isle during your Grandsires run it seemed, though the old man knew much less of it than you had hoped though it seemed to have been a deep enmity and hatred that ran deeper than the cold silence of your Fathers reign, despite time and the silence of your Father it felt only right to think of the house of Sandworth as your foe, they, after all had no real claim to Dragonstone being of foreign blood and of no real distinction, in fact it was only by dint of time that they could even be called Westerosi.

The host had descended upon dragonstone on a black and moonless night, few guards had been hosted that the host had been in the castle before the castle had stirred, the house of Sandworth had suffered greatly, the lord and his son’s had been slain near to a man and their wives and daughters taken hostage and a great plunder of their wealth had occurred, you suspected the old man had not told you everything of it though, for his voice had seemed sadder for the recollection of it.

It took a time for him to speak again and the lapse only sharpened your suspicion of his obfuscation.

‘’Have ye ever fought a battle before lad?’’ he asked.

You had fought mock melee and with real steel before in the square of Crab Castle, Ser Duncan had even organized a skirmish between the boys training when you were younger but your Father had never deigned to take you or Corlys when battle had threatened your lands, Blonde Jon and even brown Ben had seen battle before you, though you had heard from your uncle that brown Ben had been kept safe above the fighting at your fathers orders, still the thought that either had seen true battle before his rightful heirs embittered you and your affirmation could not help but carry that.

‘’I thought not, killing and death changes a man and ye don’t have that on you’’ the old man replied sagely, your father had said similar you thought distantly, It felt hollow to think of killing as such a necessary thing after his story but countless stories and legends were filled with it as though it was necessary to the turning of the world of men.

[4/5]
>>
>>5964705
‘’I was just a boy like ye when I signed on to fight with my brothers’’ he began and you might have bristled at the remark if his voice had not been raw with old pain. ‘’I buried one at Rook’s rest and three here’’ he continued gesturing up the hills.

‘’A battle like the one that ended the Crab king is a harder thing still to witness, every man had been drunk on victory and we sailed for home, not even the best of his lords captains had set a watch for sails and the King himself had set to feasting in his hall, when the Corsairs set upon us he barely noticed until the first borders had set the Tyrant aflame.’’ his voice had cracked at the last, living memory seizing at his throat with the telling.

The end of the Crab king was nigh
>The old man had last seen the Crab King in the hall, alone, tall & proud against half a hundred men, and wounded nearly as many times by blade, bow and shaft. The man’s survival had been a thing of chance, knocked from the deck by a stray blow. [haughty]
>The old man had been atop deck amidst the worst of the carnage with the second son, the fire had been strange & fey, no water seemed to douse it and even steel caught at its touch, in the end his flight had been a craven thing brought on by the death of lord & heir with the fire closing in. [Cynic]
>The man had been in the last holdout, a desperate last stand deep in the bowels of the ship, protecting his lord's family. It had been the cracking of the hull that had brought an end to the petty siege and the man’s survival was nothing short of a miracle. [Taciturn]

[5/5]
>>
>>5964707
>The man had been in the last holdout, a desperate last stand deep in the bowels of the ship, protecting his lord's family. It had been the cracking of the hull that had brought an end to the petty siege and the man’s survival was nothing short of a miracle. [Taciturn]
>>
>>5964707

Whichever option wins lets thank him for his service and promise that his remaining family will be treated well or at least given opportunities befitting such a man who did his duty until the end.
>>
>>5964707
>The old man had last seen the Crab King in the hall, alone, tall & proud against half a hundred men, and wounded nearly as many times by blade, bow and shaft. The man’s survival had been a thing of chance, knocked from the deck by a stray blow. [haughty]
>>5964709
A thanks for his service, sure, but I'm not sure Alyn is in a position to make a promise like that.
>>
>>5964707
>\The old man had last seen the Crab King in the hall, alone, tall & proud against half a hundred men, and wounded nearly as many times by blade, bow and shaft. The man’s survival had been a thing of chance, knocked from the deck by a stray blow. [haughty]

Crab King!
>>
>>5964707
>>The man had been in the last holdout, a desperate last stand deep in the bowels of the ship, protecting his lord's family. It had been the cracking of the hull that had brought an end to the petty siege and the man’s survival was nothing short of a miracle. [Taciturn]
>>
>>5964707
>>5964712
Aye, for now, but the old blood remembers. If offering up the Crab Kings Claw to our father is not precious enough a bounty for him to consider granting the old man a minor place in our court then by the Crab Kings bloody claw we will make one ourselves. Good men deserve a good death and fate has robbed this man. Let us at least attempt to reconcile this fact by giving this man a good life. Besides, the man is a gifted storyteller and will bring us some prestige by his words about our ancestors alone.
>>
>>5964707
>>
>>5964707
>>The man had been in the last holdout, a desperate last stand deep in the bowels of the ship, protecting his lord's family. It had been the cracking of the hull that had brought an end to the petty siege and the man’s survival was nothing short of a miracle. [Taciturn]
>>
>>5964707
>>
>>5964707
>>
Hope you guys are enjoying you're easter, there will be an update hopfully soon.
>>
>>5966591
didn't do much but it was pretty chill hope you enjoyed yours QM
>>

The fighting had been quick to turn to slaughter, young and old alike were slain with little care and no small amount of his lordships family lay slain in the feasting hall along with the lion’s share of his knights and trusted men, the old man had only been spared by the current of battle and it had not been long before the fighting had dwindled to desperate holdouts deep within the decks of the ship and it was in the lowest of these that the old man's story concluded.

The underbelly of the deck had been heavy with loot from every inch of the crownlands and now near as much death and carnage had been wrought in the near blind fighting that had ensued, the only sounds that had echoed had been the ringing of steel and the cries of anguish and panic as the scant few torches provided a glimpse of the grim butchery at play. When the fighting had abated at last none could have scarcely believed the miracle that had occurred, none saw the horror that awaited.

It had been a mighty heaving of the ship that had first driven the survivors to alarm, which had been swiftly followed by the thunderous cracking of timber as the ship had been sundered open by some unseen force and in an instant twilight was traded for the inky abyss.

The man wept openly now and despite the warmth of the morning sun you suppressed a shiver at the fate of those who had been with him, the lightless abyss you had travelled to had been a terrible thing and there was no end of terrors for one who ventured there willingly, you yourself had nearly died in such a manner and it touch still lingered upon you even now.

The old man reached for you as he finished his story, his hand shook with a fierce tremble when he passed the idol back to you you could see blood stain it, his voice had long since become a hoarse ruin and you were near strained to make out the words as you seized the idol.

‘’It was a terrible fury boy, bodies, gold and wood was all around us and to be true I couldn’t say what had been which, I dunno how I came to the sea true but a mighty feeding had begun of the carrion when I had, sharks, fish even crabs and more seemed to float like ghost in the dark, I swear I even heard women weeping and swimming like fish….... Madness I know but stranger take me it’s still clear as day, I must have lost me mind, maybe I still am’’

His voice had taken on some terrible aspect and he seized at your arm at the last with a strength that seemed unnatural, it took a great effort to not cry out in pain and shock as he did so.

[1/2]
>>
>>5966933
‘’I do not know how I made it here, I was in plate and mail when I drowned but I awoke here, with naught to cover me save the dead and drowned but hear them still boy, the dead and dying the singing the call of the hydra, it never ends. It. never. ends.’’

The man's eyes were maniac, mad, sunken like a corpse and foolish fear gripped you tight, he was just a man, It was only with a perilous wrench that managed to pull yourself from his grip, red marks marred your skin & red welts where nail had found flesh. In that moment whatever possessed the old man had passed and he began to weep and you wondered how such a small & broken man had ever inspired fear in you.

Thus ends the tale of the Crab King

1.The nature of the tale
>The Crab King had been an ambitious and foolish man, but was no the less the peak of house Celtigar’s glory, that one man of your line had made the world bend to his will, had reached for dominion of even a small part of Westeros and nearly succeeded was evidence that your house was destined to be more than a footnote in the history of other kings. [Haughty]
>The Crab King had been a fool, a violent, undisciplined and Glory hungry fool, none could deny his success but his overconfidence reminded you of one thing, overconfidence was a slow & insidious killer to even the greatest of men. [Cynic]
>The Crab King’s story was not one to repeat in full, there had been glory and honor in his story, but such a horrific end was not the stuff of legends, it was the stuff of nightmares and nightmares were best not dwelt on. [Taciturn]

2.The fate of the old man
>Meeting this man had been no small chance, it had been an omen of something unfinished, of oaths unfulfilled and honor not yet repaid. You would call him to service again. [Haughty + Persuasion check]
>The Old man was broken, the best years of his life were done and his strength, both of mind and body, was gone, he would be of little use to you in the future and at worst could be a liability. [Cynic]
>The Old man was spent, there was little you could do to improve his fate, nightmares and horror were a thing you had called up again but perhaps you could provide comfort for him…. Or at least his kin. [Taciturn]
>>
>>5966935
>The Crab King had been a fool, a violent, undisciplined and Glory hungry fool, none could deny his success but his overconfidence reminded you of one thing, overconfidence was a slow & insidious killer to even the greatest of men. [Cynic]
>The Old man was broken, the best years of his life were done and his strength, both of mind and body, was gone, he would be of little use to you in the future and at worst could be a liability. [Cynic]
>>
>>5966935
>The Crab King’s story was not one to repeat in full, there had been glory and honor in his story, but such a horrific end was not the stuff of legends, it was the stuff of nightmares and nightmares were best not dwelt on. [Taciturn]

>Meeting this man had been no small chance, it had been an omen of something unfinished, of oaths unfulfilled and honor not yet repaid. You would call him to service again. [Haughty + Persuasion check]
>>
>>5966935
>The Crab King had been an ambitious and foolish man, but was no the less the peak of house Celtigar’s glory, that one man of your line had made the world bend to his will, had reached for dominion of even a small part of Westeros and nearly succeeded was evidence that your house was destined to be more than a footnote in the history of other kings. [Haughty]

>The Old man was spent, there was little you could do to improve his fate, nightmares and horror were a thing you had called up again but perhaps you could provide comfort for him…. Or at least his kin. [Taciturn]
>>
Wow, I feel called out. We need to internalize this message.

What are the chances we wash up on the beach of one of the only men alive who could understand what we went through beneath the waves, who knew our grandfather, and who kept his mind? I sense fate in the air. I say we try and help him since we will need someone who could actually understand to a degree what we experienced.

>I know you are not mad. Your mind is as clear as my own and I believe every word. Will you help me reach my father? Your experiences are priceless to me.
>>
>>5966935
>>The Crab King had been an ambitious and foolish man, but was no the less the peak of house Celtigar’s glory, that one man of your line had made the world bend to his will, had reached for dominion of even a small part of Westeros and nearly succeeded was evidence that your house was destined to be more than a footnote in the history of other kings. [Haughty]
>>Meeting this man had been no small chance, it had been an omen of something unfinished, of oaths unfulfilled and honor not yet repaid. You would call him to service again. [Haughty + Persuasion check]
>>
>>5966935
>>The Crab King had been a fool, a violent, undisciplined and Glory hungry fool, none could deny his success but his overconfidence reminded you of one thing, overconfidence was a slow & insidious killer to even the greatest of men. [Cynic]

How could I not choose the over confidence one
>>
>>5966935
>>The Crab King’s story was not one to repeat in full, there had been glory and honor in his story, but such a horrific end was not the stuff of legends, it was the stuff of nightmares and nightmares were best not dwelt on. [Taciturn]
>>
>>5966935
>>The Crab King had been an ambitious and foolish man, but was no the less the peak of house Celtigar’s glory, that one man of your line had made the world bend to his will, had reached for dominion of even a small part of Westeros and nearly succeeded was evidence that your house was destined to be more than a footnote in the history of other kings. [Haughty]

>>
>>5966935
>>
Looks like Alyn has been tempered a little by the story and prehaps his own experiences. given the choice to recruit the man and the the chosen reflection of the story I will not be including the write-in in >>5966952 due to the lack of cohesion with the winning option.

No story update but we'll get the check out of the way in a moment and I'll likely have something out early tommorow.

dear god I need to work on my editing
>>
File: The old soldier.png (1.04 MB, 802x1111)
1.04 MB
1.04 MB PNG
>>5968008
Persuasion check
> Higher Social Standing / Difficult request [return to service]
>50 DC
>Relived horror -10DC
>Old & spent -5DC
>Audacious introduction +10DC
>Echo of the Crab King +1 re-roll
>Old blood: Rolls of 99 always count as a success
>Fated: (+1 re-roll at any time, +1 Adverse re-roll to next check.)
>DC 45

Double Fail = Haunted, whatever else occurs this man's retelling has woken old ghosts and revenants who will not let him rest.
0 =‘’Let me die with my ghosts....'' The man is reticent and broken, no plea or call to service will rouse him further, worse will not render you further aid.
1 = ‘’I cannot...’’ The man's age is catching up to him, he could not serve even if he was willing and he can do little more than point you onwards.
2 = ''I cannot.... but there is another mayhaps'' The old man though willing is unable to serve you though he thinks there may be another
3 = ‘’By salt & stone, by old gods & new...'' The man may be old but he is not yet spent, his old oaths are not yet forgotten. He will serve for as long as you desire [+1 companion]
Double Pass = Putting old ghosts to rest, something in the old man’s telling has put something terrible to rest, in him or somewhere else.

Three rolls of 1d100 please! you have two re-rolls & one of consequence.
>>
Rolled 21 (1d100)

>>5968009
>>
Rolled 28 (1d100)

>>5968009
>>
Rolled 38 (1d100)

>>5968009
>>5968020
>>5968030
Hahahaha!
>>
Also, thanks for coming back. Im sure questers will return once the thread is less new. Hope you are well!
>>
File: the better old soldier.jpg (151 KB, 865x1200)
151 KB
151 KB JPG
>>5968009
>The old soldier did not forget his oaths.
>>
>>5968020
>>5968030
>>5968073
Seven above, I knew I should have the DC lower, this was suppose to be hard.

>>5968079
I hope so though I can't blame anyone for being keen after my abrup hiatus.

Disco elysium is one of the best written games I have ever played and I so desperately want a vinyl of its soundtrack.
>>
>>5968313
I know it was 45 dc but it's close enough too a coin flip. getting 3 coin flips in a row is a 1/8 or 12.5% so don't beat yourself up too much QM you at least know how forgotten feels now lol
>>
>>5968332
>[Skaldening intensifies]
>>
File: Fealty.jpg (86 KB, 602x421)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
>3 = ‘’By salt & stone, by old gods & new...'' The man may be old but he is not yet spent, his old oaths are not yet forgotten. He will serve for as long as you desire [+1 companion]
>Gain Companion: ‘’old’’ Harry [+5DC, +10AV, Comrade 50% Death's Door]

You felt a strange chill as you considered the tale the old man had laid before you, all it had taken was one moment of hubris in the shadow of victory and the Crab Kings' life & work had been undone in a scarce few hours, worse it had lead to the near extinction of your house and the decimation of its strength. You could not help but recall how hot to trot you had been at the prospect of the coming campaign and the call of real battle, now such thoughts seemed hollow and foolish. Such overconfidence could be the end of you as it had your grandsire if you did not master it and you resolved that you should.

Taking the path ordained by fate seemed a good start to such mastery and the matter of the old man’s was a thing yet resolved, had you less pity or wits so as to ignore providence you might have scorned the old man and his ghosts but his loyalty to your grandsire had seemed genuine and it seemed that fate had plans for him beyond that of a living ghost.

‘’Ser’’ you began, taking care to measure yourself carefully before continuing ‘’I know such a telling is a hard thing and I thank you for it, the end of my grandsire has been a long shadow over my house and something not often spoke of.’’

‘’I did my duty lad’’ he responded, there was still a cracking rawness to his voice but it seemed soothed a touch and when he turned to look at you again you could see a measure of steel behind his burdened eyes, you thought that a good sign.

‘’I must ask you, If you remember your oath to house Celtigar…’’ you had thought the words you had found to appeal to him sounded good but the sight of the old man taking a knee had the rest dying on your tongue.

‘’Yes m’lord, I remember, on rock and salt, we swore to be loyal to our last, by bread and hearth we promised our service and by the gods old & new we swore to defend he and his kin to the last, I remember.’’ the steel in his eyes had reached his voice and you knew you had won him.

‘’You are true then’’ you made certain there was no question in your tone.

‘’Aye ser, I am yers.’’ he replied ‘’till my last day.’’

You liked the sound of that.

[1/2]
>>
>>5968597
You were glad of the old man’s aid when you tried to stand, the movement was a quick reminder that you were far from healthy and the effort left you limping and dizzy, it was only when the world had stopped tilting that you realized you had forgotten to ask your man’s name.

‘’What is your name, ser?’’ you finally managed as he stepped to support you.

‘’Harry, if it pleases m’lord, though those who know me now call me ol’ Harry on account of my boy having me, name.’’ he managed, the weight of you seemed a harsh tax on him as he managed the door to his cottage.

‘’Might I ask m’lords intentions?’’ Harry asked as you returned to the hovel.

You wondered that yourself.

>You would make for Dragonstone with haste, you had been away for too long and there was no doubt that your presence would have been missed by now, with the old man’s help you were likely to make speedy progress and make your deeds known to all under your own power. [Haughty]
>You were in need of a hot meal, water and some gods willing some better clothes, anything else could wait until you had that at least and with a sworn man to tend to it, it might even taste good. [Cynic]
>Though you were *loathe* to admit it, your injuries were too much to bear and you needed rest and sleep. In time you might be well enough to travel but anything further under the strain of your injuries was to risk what passed for your remaining vitality. [Taciturn]

[2/2]
>>
>>5968599
>Though you were *loathe* to admit it, your injuries were too much to bear and you needed rest and sleep. In time you might be well enough to travel but anything further under the strain of your injuries was to risk what passed for your remaining vitality. [Taciturn]
>>
As Qm I still suggest you bear the reminder here >>5959564 in mind when considering the options before you.
>>
>>5968599
>You were in need of a hot meal, water and some gods willing some better clothes, anything else could wait until you had that at least and with a sworn man to tend to it, it might even taste good. [Cynic]
>>
>>5968599
>>Though you were *loathe* to admit it, your injuries were too much to bear and you needed rest and sleep. In time you might be well enough to travel but anything further under the strain of your injuries was to risk what passed for your remaining vitality. [Taciturn]
>>
>>5968599
>>
>>5968599
>>
>>5968599
>>You were in need of a hot meal, water and some gods willing some better clothes, anything else could wait until you had that at least and with a sworn man to tend to it, it might even taste good. [Cynic]
>>
you ok herald?
>>
It's over, House Celtigar has fallen. Millions of claws must crack.
>>
Holy shit it's been three weeks?!

I owe those of you who might still care an answer for my absence, this isn't a site that takes kindly to blog posts so I'll be brief, I have found it hard to write since coming back and my own personal health has declined significantly around the time I tried to start up this quest again and as a result I became very disenchanted with the prospect of committing to the task and very nearly quit.

But that wouldn't have been fair and every time I truly tried ending things I got that itch you get with an unfinished project and so here I am. I can't and won't promise It will be consistent or good, I'm hardly what you call better or really healthy but I do want to write this and I'll at least keep a more open channel in regards to inconsistencies.

Update in a few hours, If anyone cares.
>>
File: Yes Yes Yes!.jpg (49 KB, 640x480)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>>5985069
Yes! Please feel better! Thanks for the return! Take care of yourself first!
>>
While still quite audacious, the deed of reclaiming Crab’s claw has now been tempered a bit by Alyn’s struggle to return under his own power, you have however further mitigated the more serious of his injuries and the lasting impact

‘’Food, Hot & water is what I need’’ you commanded as your stomach gave a low growl & you realized just how starved you were.

Old Harry gave a short nod ‘’If I might suggest m’lord, water is what ye need more than food, the sea saps at a man’s thirst like nothing else and given yer condition, it might be wiser to take a little before water.’’ he offered, you fought for a moment to argue the point but the returning itch of your dry throat proved some of the wisdom in it.

The water proved to be a good suggestion and it was only at Harry’s cautioning that you did not take to instinct and drink greedily to the point of sickness, instead you took to deep draughts from the mug and pitcher he dutifully provided while you watched him dotter about the small kitchen, preparing your meal. He proved himself a capable if unskilled cook providing a humble meal of porridge, sprinkled with berries and toasted bread, any disappointment you might have felt died instantly at the sight and it was only again at Harry’s urging that you slowed your pace so as not to be sick.

It felt like a dream to have your hunger sated and thirst slaked after an eternity and the task seemed to be all that mattered until old Harry placed a linen tunic and worn breeches across the table from you.

‘’These might not be m’lords size but they’ll be close I reckon, pardon the roughspun, it was all we could fit you with given yer state.’’

It was hard to not smile as you changed, the roughspun had only grown more hostile with every moment you had spent with it and it was sweet relief that the linen held no such hostility towards you, though they lacked the quality of your typical attire and were a touch to large for you, still they were a league better than what you had worn.

[1/2]
>>
>>5985422
It was only as you had finished lacing your tunic and belting your breeches with a worn leather belt that you realised the familiar sound of horse and the clink of chain approaching.

you ventured a glance from the window at the approaching rider...

>A dozen men riding hard and fast, it was hard to tell if they were making for the beach or the hovel at their gallop but the sigil on their tabards was unmistakably that of house Celtigar. [Haughty]
>Three riders near abreast, a giant savage easily two heads taller than you, a thin awkward boy? and some fool with an easy grin, they wore no heraldry but they bore arms and armor, you could have easily mistaken them for bandits but you doubted dragonstone even had the capacity for banditry. [Cynic]
>A single rider riding at casual trot, chainmail and boiled leather casually and *poorly* concealed, one hand tapped the pommel of the bastard sword at the rider's belt that gave the stranger a familiar air of menace you did not like in the least. [Taciturn]
>>
>>5985424
>A single rider riding at casual trot, chainmail and boiled leather casually and *poorly* concealed, one hand tapped the pommel of the bastard sword at the rider's belt that gave the stranger a familiar air of menace you did not like in the least. [Taciturn]
Mystery option!
>>
>>5985424
>>Three riders near abreast, a giant savage easily two heads taller than you, a thin awkward boy? and some fool with an easy grin, they wore no heraldry but they bore arms and armor, you could have easily mistaken them for bandits but you doubted dragonstone even had the capacity for banditry. [Cynic]
>>
>>5985424
>>
>>5985424
>>A dozen men riding hard and fast, it was hard to tell if they were making for the beach or the hovel at their gallop but the sigil on their tabards was unmistakably that of house Celtigar. [Haughty]
>>
>>5985424
>>A dozen men riding hard and fast, it was hard to tell if they were making for the beach or the hovel at their gallop but the sigil on their tabards was unmistakably that of house Celtigar. [Haughty]
What is dead may never die
>>
>>5985424
>>Three riders near abreast, a giant savage easily two heads taller than you, a thin awkward boy? and some fool with an easy grin, they wore no heraldry but they bore arms and armor, you could have easily mistaken them for bandits but you doubted dragonstone even had the capacity for banditry. [Cynic]
>>
>>5985424
>>
>>5985424
>A dozen men riding hard and fast, it was hard to tell if they were making for the beach or the hovel at their gallop but the sigil on their tabards was unmistakably that of house Celtigar. [Haughty]
>>
>>5985424
>>
>>5985424
>>
>>5985424
>>
>>5985424
>>A single rider riding at casual trot, chainmail and boiled leather casually and *poorly* concealed, one hand tapped the pommel of the bastard sword at the rider's belt that gave the stranger a familiar air of menace you did not like in the least. [Taciturn]

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.