[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/qst/ - Quests

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
Draw Size ×
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • Roll dice with "dice+numberdfaces" in the options field (without quotes).

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1294385216250.jpg (53 KB, 495x700)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
“…like any Institution, We of the Infernal Houses require a system of barter and trade among individuals. Thus, the grand economy of Hell is built upon four principal interests: Ichor, Hellfire, Darkness and Souls.

Are you listening, maggot? Do you yearn to be paste beneath my feet?! Go! Go out into the mortal world and fetch me some Souls!”

Thus chastised you wriggle your way out to a Great Dimensional Orrery of the Prime Spheres, queue in line with other devils, and become unceremoniously spat out into the mortal realm.

At least it’s not Hell?
>>
Welcome to Infernal Collector Quest, in which you start as a Lemure, the lowest ranking devil of Hell and quite pitiable. Your immediate goal is to collect Souls for your master … and better yourself in the process through self-serving and backhanded means.

You have started off in a medieval area prime sphere with magic. Specifically, you awaken in a puff of brimstone stench in the middle of a broken circle made with black chalk in a secluded alcove of a graveyard at twilight. A small town beckons nearby.

Mechanics (Adapted from The Lady Knight’s Quest)

For most decisions, this quest operates on a "Best of One" dice system, where the first roll with an accompanying vote will get used. If an option requires multiple rolls, the rolls will be selected in order. In cases where multiple rolls are required, calls for a roll that appear in Bold Red will always use the first dice rolled, followed by any vote specific calls for a roll. This quest will primarily use rolls of a D20, though other dice may be used.

On a d20 roll, a roll of 1 before any modifiers is a critical failure, and a roll of 20 is a critical success. Rolls of 20 that are not used for a vote can be banked for later, and will be tallied up after each post.

Banked rolls can be spent in one of two ways. Whenever a natural 1 is rolled on a d20, if the players have any banked rolls remaining it will automatically be spent to negate the roll, using the next valid roll for that action. Banked rolls will only be spent if they can skip to a better outcome; if three natural 1s are rolled in a row, but there is only 1 banked roll, no rolls will be spent.

For a roll to be banked, it must 1) not be the roll used for a given action, and 2) must accompany a vote.

In addition to the above, some votes will be straight Majority votes. Where critical rolls can be banked will be indicated.
>>
Stat Mechanics

You have five Infernal Attributes: wrath/deceit/prophecy/destruction/charisma. Their value ranges from zero to ten.

Your value in these Infernal Attributes will be added to the d20 rolls for specific actions.

Wrath is physical prowess and anger.
Deceit is acts of subterfuge and cunning.
Prophecy is supernatural awareness and intellect.
Destruction is arcane potence and wickedness.
Charisma is persuasion and domination.

>Please vote for your Infernal Attribute values. Choose one Infernal Attribute that has a value of zero, two Infernal Attributes with a value of one, and two Infernal Attributes with a value of two. This is a Majority vote.

As a Lemure you get all the following Abilities:

Diabolic Listener: People (humans and the like) may unburden themselves to you more than they would normally; potentially revealing weaknesses, hidden desires and sins. The types of questions you ask and how you pose them are up to you.

Malleable Form: Human man of early 20’s, Black Rat, Raven, True Lemure form (4 and a half foot tall wriggling maggot with claws and a mortal face). Cooldowns for transformation will be noted by the quest master.

Infernal Eyes: You can see supernatural and magical forces invisible to most mortals unless they are deliberately cloaked.

Lemure’s Special Ability

Embrace of the Umbra – If you stand totally still in shadows or in the cover of night you can be completely hidden.

Novice of the Flame – Given an existing fire, you can manipulate and control up to a watermelon sized ball of flame, move it through the air, throw it, etc.. Note that this does not conjure flame from nothing. Note that Hellfire works under different rules (TBA).

Mask of the Flensed Elf – Allows you to take on the physical appearance of an adult elf in his prime. Consider this an additional form to your Malleable Form power.

Gold Dust of Mammon – You can transmute base items (rocks, twigs, etc.) into up to 40 currency (ie gold or the like) of the local area. This is an infernal illusion and the currency will revert to its base nature at the next daybreak.

>Please vote for your Lemure’s Special Ability. This is a Majority vote.
>>
Your human form is disguised as a traveler from a forgettable hamlet somewhere within a day’s travel. However, you may pose as anyone you wish. After all, Hell cultivates guile. You wield a quarterstaff and a trusty iron dagger and carry a large pouch and backpack.

Where shall you start your devious adventures?

I explore the Graveyard
I go immediately to the Tavern
It appears to be Market Day. I explore the Market.
I lounge around the center of town at the Well

>This is a “Best of One” vote. Please roll 1d20 when voting to see if your vote takes priority.
>>
>>5964958

>Gold Dust of Mammon – You can transmute base items (rocks, twigs, etc.) into up to 40 currency (ie gold or the like) of the local area. This is an infernal illusion and the currency will revert to its base nature at the next daybreak.

This quest looks based.

>>5964966

>It appears to be Market Day. I explore the Market.

Should be trivial for us to locate the local black market between our abilities and demonic aspects
>>
Rolled 4 (1d20)

>>5964972

Oops, here’s my roll
>>
>>5964973

And I forgot my stat allocation too - I’ll be smarter next time QM

Wrath: 0
Deceit: 2
Prophecy: 1
Destruction: 1
Charisma: 2
>>
>>5964951
A fascinating conundrum.

>>5964972
>>5964973
>>5964978
I'll support this anon's ambitions, as they overlap with my own.
>>
Rolled 3 (1d20)

>>5964966
>Gold Dust of Mammon
>I go immediately to the Tavern
Time to prey on the weak!
>>
You are a Lemure disguised as a traveling human man.

Infernal Attributes

Special Ability
Gold Dust of Mammon

>4, Market Day

Market day seems to be active and in full swing. Customers and vendors greet each other with long time familiarity and the negotiations therein take on a relaxed back-and-forth. Men and women in small groups, dressed in earth tones with the occasional splash of vibrant color or bit of fashionable dress, leisurely navigate the stalls laughing and gossiping amongst themselves. Such comradery is dismaying.

Multicolored triangular banners crisscross between the two-story buildings overlooking the market lane, drawing a stark contrast to the compacted dirt street. There is a town crier standing on a crate in a circular clearing in between the stalls, gesturing emphatically with each announcement. “All hail, all hail! The Tournament of Rosethorn will be held a fortnight hence in the Castle of Duke Allarbew. Come one, come all to the Tournament and bring your best wares! Adventurers welcome! Sponsored by the Baking Guild. Fine brown bread, for fine goodmen.”

Surveying the area, there are four locations that catch your eye.

Pommels and blades gleam from a dark blue tent with yellow highlights. Shiny chainmail is displayed on a wooden torso of a manikin in the shadow of the tent where a burly man with a booming voice hawks his wares of mail and iron, freshly sharpened from the local forges. His smile does not meet his piercing blue eyes.
> Weapons tent

There is a vendor in a white mobile kiosk with wheels on its sides and numerous yellowish and red stains on its front, shrilling proclaiming his stock. “Hot crossed buns! Sugar powdered buns! Meat inna bun! Buns here, get your hot buns here!”
> Mobile food vendor

A flutist and a lute player busk around the sides of the stalls and near the town alleyways. Marginally hidden by the shadow of a two-story building, a man has a crude table set atop an empty barrel and is gesturing to five face down cards on the table as a group of youthful men look on and snigger to each other.
>Musicians and five card Monty player alleyway

There is an elegant pavilion with a flag unfurling in the breeze that has stark black calligraphy on its white surface. “Jasper’s Scriptorium” it reads. There is a bored looking bouncer with metal bracers standing outside while the sounds of business being done emanate somewhat muffled from within.
>Scrolls shop

Where should we begin? Or would you rather return to one of the following:
>Tavern, Graveyard, Town Well
>This is a "Best of One" decision so make a 1d20 roll with your choice.
>>
Rolled 5 (1d20)

>>5966226

Gambling has to be the easiest approach here
>>
>>5966226
Nice! I'm down for some demon-dealing soul-collecting quest shenanigans.
>>
Rolled 9 (1d20)

>>5966305
>>5966226
Oh, and a roll, right?
>>
Rolled 2 (1d20)

>>5966226
Make some quick cash with Gold Dust of Mammon. Time to ruse some fools and take advantage of their poor fortune encountering a devil at cards.
>>
File: QM challenge 1.jpg (46 KB, 727x233)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>Consensus, Musicians and five card Monty player alleyway

As you approach the alleyway, the flutist, clad in red and tan, nods to you and begins to play a jaunty but repetitive melody on double pipes. The mustached lute player hums and accompanies the song with percussive slaps on his instrument and eventually breaks out into a full lute performance. An upturned green felt hat sits on the street between them, gleaming with silver and a speck of gold coins.

>QM challenge: The musicians are playing a piece of music. Name a method to kill the mostly immortal Lord of the composers. Your reward is one banked critical roll.

Three of the group of four youthful men, likely farmers by their dress, all rear back and laugh; slapping each other on the back as one of the men, the one at the card table, gets red in his cheeks and he hands over some gold coins. “Again. Once more again” the embarrassed man spits as he reaches in his evidently dwindling coin purse. A vein in the embarrassed man’s temple pluses. He is nearly ready to commit violence. The cardsharp facing the farmer, bows widely, the grey cowl of his cloak falling over his face. The cardsharp is hiding it well but he is armed with at least one dagger.

The cloaked man’s hands cross and crisscross like frenetic dancers above the five cards. “Keep your eye on the bitch Queen m’lord,” the cardsharp intones as he dexterously flips up all the five cards into the air where they then land cardback up. He shuffles the five upside-down cards this way and that for a few moments then he stands back offering his mark an opportunity to choose a card to reveal.

With your infernal senses you can tell neither man is using magic. As the farmer muses and moves his index finger from card to card, you detect a man further down the alley wrapped in a cloak and shadows. He is silent and still, attention upon the four farmers.

If you don’t step in, there is a good chance a fight will break out.

What do you do? >This will be a Majority Vote

>Let the fight occur and jump in on the side of the farmers
>Let the fight occur and jump in on the side of the cardsharp
>Write In! Do you act before the conflict occurs?
>>
>>5966579
>Name a method to kill the mostly immortal Lord of the composers
A magical plague which takes the hearing of those to whom it spreads?

>What do you do?
If he starts to get manhandled, maybe we can offer him aid for a pledge to repay the debt?
>>
>>5966579
>QM challenge
Stones! Tonsil stones, kidney stones, stones in the brain, stones in the gut. Stoned to death.
A truly devious enterprise! What delight!
We are here to gather souls however, not swindle soft-brained mortals out of their metal chips.
Announce ourselves, and ask for a game from the cardsharp. Lose, obviously, and swear out the cardsharp as a lout and a cheat. Leave, and talk to the poor farmer, tell him something ought to be done about that charlatan, but he no doubt has a deadly knife or somesuch two-faced, backstabbing scheme to get the upper hand should someone accost him. Then, say that you have heard of some magical means of your own to get one up on him, if only the farmer could provide... collateral, perhaps something he doesn't use, like his soul? It's not as if the blasted church has done anything to aid our friend.
>>
Farmers are god fearing by trade, it's the wrong angle. The card Sharps are a source of information and potential lackies, their greed outweighs their empathy.

After the farmers lose more money, talk them down with our charisma. Giving us an in with the card Sharps.
>>
>>5966945
I'll back this, actually.

>>5966579
I'm >>5966588, changing my vote to back this truly devious enterprise proposed by o0MMC98B
>>
>>5966945
>Stones!

You are correct that the piece of music performed by the musicians is called "Stones"! Congratulations for figuring out the first clue.
Now name a method to kill the mostly immortal Lord of the composers of "Stones".

I'm going to leave the voting open >>5966579 till tonight or tomorrow morning.
>>
>>5967478

>how to kill a stone?

Drown him in the ocean? Over a long enough timetable, rock is ground into sand?
>>
>>5967478
Took me a minute, but I eventually remembered the story
Hellfire.
Or poison his bread, or his throne, or drop a brick on his head or just blast him to smithereens. Or even leave him in a cave to starve
>>
>>5967507
Very fucking nice. You earned that 1x Critical Roll.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X1gC3BLq2w
>>
Perhaps, a fiddle contest is in order?
>>
>>5966579

He is more valuable to us
>>
>>5967871
i can support this
>>
>>5966579
>>Let the fight occur and jump in on the side of the cardsharp
>>
Don't tell me this is dead already
>>
File: 1654753505675.png (102 KB, 256x256)
102 KB
102 KB PNG
>>5970840
possibly?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.