[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/qst/ - Quests

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
Draw Size ×
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • Roll dice with "dice+numberdfaces" in the options field (without quotes).

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

You are Mouse, the ogre. Although raised by humans you found yourself in service of the dark elven queen - and with her blessing you have embarked on a quest to purge the corruption plaguing the very world you live in.

You are not alone. Your mission is shared by an eclectic band of companions:
-Phineous, the sophisticated orc of culture.
-Smutkin, the formerly depraved bard who took your mission for his own
-Sparky, the formerly warped imp that was, by touch of holy power, transformed into something else
-Tithe, the diminutive yet vigilant gargoyle
-Chloe, the shadow of the queen sent to safeguard you and your mission.
Your band has since grown with additions no less colorful:
-Elle, the royal courier who has since sworn herself to your quest
-Harriet and Janet, the twin scouts you've rescued from the mercenaries
-Diana and Minerva, twin golems you've freed from their questionable service to the old order
-Her majesty queen Olga Discordia, the dark elf ruler turned exile after the Beast possessed her minions into mutiny
-Mercenary princess, Maia, seeking to confront the man she loved
-And quite literally in spirit, a fragment(?) of the goddess Laurentia you had wrestled from the clutches of darkness (and in doing so, likely forced the enemy's hand to the desperation he was showing...)

And on top of that, a group of thirteen penitent mercenary men, turned into unholy abominations by a dark ritual, but purged of its taint when Sparky healed them. They seemed earnest about their intent to atone for atrocities they had committed even with their lives, prompting you to bring them along so that they get their chance.

You were drawing close to your goal, having entered the misty wetlands that were, if you remembered the topography correctly from your maps and dreams alike, the final stretch you needed to navigate before reaching the mythical lost city of Atlassia, and in any case a major locus of power of the cult of the Beast.

Powerful adversary was waiting ahead.

But you were not without help, either.

Be it your bond with your companions, powers of light channeled by Laurentia, or your own dedication to that spark of light bequeathed to you by your parents, you made it through the swamp into shelter of a hidden grove that formed itself before your eyes, as a gift of respite.

One you were happy to partake in. And so, presently, you found yourself drifting off into the realm of dreams...
>>
"She's late again..." A sweet voice pronounced mournfully. That was wrong. Her voice was made to sound playful, cheerful. Laughing with joy. Crying only when moved by happiness. It was not right to hear it heavy with concern, especially not a concern justified by the grim circumstance of war.

If this could even be called war. It was a butchery, a tempest of fear, desperation and adrenaline, contrasted with cruel, malevolent glee, only made worse by the glimmer of consciousness behind it, fully embracing the darkness it visited upon its victims.

How could someone, or something, capable of thinking, derive delight from suffering of another?

How could someone, or something, actively seek and revel in it?

Just knowledge that such a force existed was enough to inspire despair. But that was something she could not afford. Not for herself, not for those who depended on her.

"She will come. You know that as well as I do." She said. A different voice, one close to you. Even though it may not have been very confident in her vision anymore, she more than made up for it in hope and faith she came to appreciate in new light. And perhaps there was even more than that... in either case, it was enough.

"I... I guess so. Still, I wish she took me with her this time." The first voice spoke, with some of the light restored to it.

"You need to put at least a little bit more trust in me than that, Prim." New one enters, and as the focus shifts, you take in the surroundings. A tent, lit by dim light. You recognize owners of all the voices, and a few more faces besides. Their faces are a bit worse for wear than you remember them, their clothing marked with exertion, and especially in the case of newcomer, injury.

"Cuz! You're hurt!" Prim stops herself just short of crushing Alicia in a hug.

"It's just a few scrapes." The blonde princess shrugs it off, and to your relief she's not lying, you can make out a bruise and two shallow cuts, most of the blood mixed with dirt seems to be of monstrous origin.

"Nonetheless, allow me." Celestine raises her hand, and soft, warm glow connects her palm with the wounds, mending them instantly.

"My lady, I wish you spared your powers for those who need it more." Alicia says.

"I'll have all the strength I need to see this through." The elven hierarch speaks softly, but again with confidence beyond what she could back with just cold numbers.

And again, at least for now, it seems to be enough. Alicia's expression softens. "Thank you."

No longer restraining herself, Prim restrains Alicia with an embrace. "Cuz, I was worried! What happened?"

"Oof. Careful, the rib is still sore."

"Sorry!"
>>
"Anyway, there's not much to say." Alicia sighs. "The raid was a success. We didn't lose a man."

"But that's great?"

"It is, and I'm thankful. But there's so many of them. We've sacrificed the keep, and it doesn't seem like there's a dent in their numbers!"

"Alicia, the keep will be rebuilt. The important part is that you saw your subjects to safety."

"Thank you, lady Celestine. But they're not safe yet. If the horde gets through us, they will be free to roam and move against Cathedral City or into Levantines' rear."

"We won't let them." Celestine says resolutely. "Besides, we don't need to defeat them all at once. Don't forget about Mouse's quest."

Alicia's serious expression thawed into smile for a moment. "Mouse..." She said, and frowned with concern. "He better return soon to us that I may thank him for that final spar. It may well have saved my life..."

"He's doing well and will succeed. I'm sure of it." Celestine says, smile gracing her gentle features as well.

"Have you... seen it?" Alicia asks cautiously.

Celestine shakes her head. "No, I know I cannot rely on my powers. But I feel it in my heart. That... I believe I can trust."

"I... see. I suppose - no, I am certain - thank you, lady Celestine." Alicia says, composing herself. There was still a war to win raging outside.

"Cuz?" Prim inquires. "You're not going back out there right away? You need to rest!"

"No... no, you're right. But I can't put that off either. Thank you, Prim."

With that the blonde swordswoman turned to leave, but before she set into motion, two more men walked in.

"Highnesses." The first one started with a bow.

"Commander Hanig. And Robert! You bring news from the Levantines'? How are they holding up?" Alicia asks.

"Situation seems stabilized, for the time being. The fortress holds, and after... what we discussed earlier, there was no sign of situation deteriorating." The officer gestures at Robert. "As for how their lordships fare on personal level, you're probably better off judging for yourself."

The courier produces a scroll Alicia takes and unfurls it, skimming the text.

"Klaus's penmanship again... but in the same style as before." The princess comments as she reads. Then she falls silent.

"What? What is it?" Prim urges.

"It's... good news. They are safe, and he's making sure Claudia is not overextending herself..." Pause. "...it's curt and impersonal. I think something's eating him up, but he doesn't want to burden us with it."

"Don't be so insensitive. His dad died, of course he's grieving." Prim says.
>>
"Yes, and in a heroic final stand, as I understand. But that's not it. I've seen Klaus grieve when their last dog died." Alicia shakes head. "I wish I could talk to him, but that's impossible."

"May I?" Celestine takes the missive from Alicia, and you can feel her spirits sag somewhat as she runs her gaze down the technically perfect script. "I think you're right that he's shouldering a burden. But I can assure you of this at least - he is not bearing it alone."

"You mean...?"

"We need to have faith in them. Whatever happened, they will overcome it, together."

Alicia sighs, but relief in it is almost tangible.

"Thank you, lady Celestine."

And that is the last thing you hear before your grip on the circumstance loosens once more, and your consciousness is swept by the currents of the realm of dreams into a restful void...

...your eyes blink open, and you take in a lungful of fresh air, fragrant with a rose blooming next to your bedroll. You're not sure if it was there when you laid down, although the thicket itself most certainly was. You rise up into seating position, overlooking the sheltered glade, stray beams of dawn's light making their way through cover of clouds and foliage above and around. Remainder of your company was still sleeping soundly. You could rouse them and set out immediately, or you could give them that little bit of peace...

>Go through some morning workout until rest of your company awakens, it should not take long. Perhaps you could even approach someone specific as they get up and discuss something with them?
>Take this moment to reach out to Laurentia, you hadn't felt her articulate much since she helped you make your way through the swamp. And chances are, you may need to ask for her help again...
>That was enough rest. Get up, pack up and set out as soon as possible. You can't be certain if it was just a dream or a vision of some sort, but you do have people depending on you...
>other idea
>>
>>5977566
>Go through some morning workout until rest of your company awakens, it should not take long. Perhaps you could even approach someone specific as they get up and discuss something with them?
>Smutkin, our right hand of sorts. What do we think of the recruits?
So Lord Graves croaked it huh, I was kinda on the fence with the guy seeing what a piece of shit he is in canon but y'know, this is a good compromise of karma
>>
>>5977566
>>
>>5977566
>Smutkin
we haven't talked to our piper 1 on 1 in a long time, if ever, kek.
>>5977597
>I was kinda on the fence with the guy seeing what a piece of shit he is in canon
isn't it the case for almost everyone from this story based on a hentai ? btw how are Klaus and Claudia there ?
>>
>>5977824
>isn't it the case for almost everyone from this story based on a hentai ?
From our supporting cast? Not really. Arguably only Olga and Chloe (and Manga Prim) and even then they are depicted sympathetically. Graves though, he's dissapointed by Klaus being a studious malewife instead of a big dick knight so he rapes Claudia in front of him to make his ideal son.
>>
>>5977566
I wonder if anyone else saw things in their dreams.
>>
>>5977896
and what Klaus do next ? does he kill his father ? and how's smutkin ?
>>
>>5978056
Oh you already know, NTR stuff. Smutkin is oc.
>>
>>5978114
>Oh you already know, NTR stuff.
so he just let's his dad cuck him and does nothing ? sadge.
>>
>>5977562
I would touch her breasts (consensually) if you know what I mean
>>
Carefully, so as not to disturb your companions while they can still recuperate in such a soothing setting, you pull yourself up, and commit yourself to a workout routine, intending to make most of the pleasant air of the grove.

For a brief while, you do so in quiet solitude, surrounded by your resting companions. Soon enough, though, perhaps touched by the growing light of dawn, or perhaps disturbed by the movement - it is after all rather hard for you to move without shaking the ground to some extent - one by one begin to rise.

You don't notice the transition between Sparky resting peacefully wrapped in his wings with innocent smile on his face, and sitting on a limb of one of the mangrove trees, watching over you and the others. You do however notice the others slowly rousing and gathering their bearings, some, like Maia, actually pinching themselves to confirm they are back in the waking world as they take in the ambience that took on a distinct, warmer hue, contrasting to the moonlight they fell asleep to.

As you proceed through the array of exercises, many of them taught to you by your father - or at least the man you consider such - your gaze eventually falls on one of your oldest companions.

Smutkin, the bard, the piper. One of your first subordinates in queen Olga's army, and one of your first friends, if you could call him such.

Thinking back, it was probably the case ever since you got to know each other, after her majesty consigned him under your command. But only now, after you got to interact with more people, and made more friends, were you confident enough in the concept to recognize that.

As if in response to your thoughts, or perhaps just your gaze, the bard turns your way with a small smile and gives you a nod of acknowledgment while tipping his hat. After that he pulls out his flute and begins to play a gentle, playful tune, slightly evocative of birdsong, to accompany the company as they were just about done waking up.

To this tune you conclude your workout and walk over to keep the man company as the camp was being packed up.

"Sir."

"I think we're long past time where we need to maintain this formality." You remark. Even your queen was walking with you, after all - although amusingly enough, out of consideration for her sensibilities you would not make this suggestion to her.

"Fair enough. Mouse. Something on your mind?"

"As a matter of fact, I intended to pick yours." You say, keeping your voice low. "What do you make of our new companions?"

Smutkin nods. "Yes... hmmm." He hums. "How many stories do you know... Mouse?"
>>
You raise your eyebrow at this response, and think on your answer. It was surprisingly tough to answer, as you jogged your memory, as the further back you went, the more difficult it was to unravel various tidbits and trivia from a number of tales from each other. Although as you proceed, you realize your parents seldom told you an entire coherent story.

Turning your attention closer to present, reviewing what you learned from texts brought back by Phineous and Smutkin, few of these tales ended in a satisfactory manner.

"You understand what I'm getting at, don't you?" Smutkin interprets your silence. "On the path I had walked previously, I familiarized myself with dozens, hundreds, and variations for each besides. And perhaps it comes with my bias, in all the variety, some themes were recurrent." Smutkin pauses. "Tale such as theirs, one of defeat and mercy, is not that infrequent... but universally, and without fail, leads to treason."

The bard turns to look you directly in the eye.

"Before, even as late as when we set out from the ruins... I would have urged you to caution." His small smile turned slightly bitter at his next remark. "As ironically as it would sound from me, specifically. I could not imagine a different outcome."

He looks back over to where the men have assembled themselves at the other side of the glade, ready to depart. One of them seemed to have come up with some sort of prayer and the others joined him as they waited.

"But now?" You prompted Smutkin.

"Now... I think we find ourselves in an entirely different story." He said.

"One with a happy ending?"

The bard grips his flute that a concern passes through your mind that he might break it.

"As long as I have anything to say, yes." He says, locking gaze with you.

In a silence that ensues you decide that enough has been said. You acknowledge the man with another slow nod and survey the glade to see that everyone stands ready to depart.
>>
It was time to get a move on. The question was, how exactly? You could think of several options, but all had its drawbacks. The most obvious one would be to call upon Laurentia's power once again, and you felt her wordless reassurance that she was ready to help in any way she could. But you also knew previous day's efforts must have been taxing for her, or at least you feel that way... on the other hand, pressing onwards without her aid meant a choice between speed and safety, with some amount of restriction to both.

Looking between the trees, the fog was just as thick as the day before, confirming supernatural properties of the enchanted glade - and urging you to make a choice on how to proceed.

>Take the mundane approach, and take it slow. This will cost you time, but at least the scouts shold be able to find a path for you; and you might find some time to spend with someone (although presumably none of the scouts).
>Take the mundane approach, but try to maintain a balance between carefulness and speed. You are confident in your groups' ability to navigate the swamp, but it will tax your focus and may lead to you emerging from the swamp rather spent.
>Call upon Laurentia to help you again. Tiring or not, this is quite possibly the greatest benefit you could get from her powers, at least she seems to suspect that.
>Try to meditate. Perhaps you might be able to at least ease the burden off your spiritual companion?
>other idea
>>
>>5977896
Thank you for elucidating for fellow Anon's benefit, Anon.

I think I'm not revealing anything particularly surprising when I add some context to the dream:
When Graves learned that Claudia is expecting, he had an attack of conscience and revealed to his son what he was thinking about committing, and as his way of making up for this, and for benefit of his unborn grandchild, he charged off for his heroic final stand during subsequent attack of the horde. Klaus could not bring himself to keep what he learned secret from his wife and they are both coming to terms with what the fuck happened, in between repelling waves of orcs and demons.
>>
>>5981618
>Take the mundane approach, but try to maintain a balance between carefulness and speed. You are confident in your groups' ability to navigate the swamp, but it will tax your focus and may lead to you emerging from the swamp rather spent.
>>
>>5981618
>Try to meditate. Perhaps you might be able to at least ease the burden off your spiritual companion?
The dream kinda urges me to keep the current pace. So far there's been minimal losses but they are getting spent, and I dont want to sour our good ending.
>>5981621
That does make sense. Kinda tragic, knowing what we know about the world maybe it didn't have to come to this but at least he went out on his own terms. Now, Klaus having to carry that fucking SUCKS.
>>
>>5981618
>>5981621
well, that sucks but at least he got a better ending. a shame klaus and claudia have to carry that.
>>
>>5981618

>>5981621
Fucked up but at least he didn't go through with it.
>>
>>5981618

>>5981621
Klaus probably wishes his father took that to the grave with him.
>>
Waiting warmly
>>
It is not without hesitance that you make the next call. It was obvious that to maintain some semblance of tempo, you would have to call upon Laurentia's gift again, but somehow you felt unsure whether she's fully recovered from expenditure of power over last day's travel, to say nothing of the spectacular boon of the enchanted grove. This consideration led you to contemplate walk

In the end you decide to try and meditate yourself. Perhaps that way you would at least be able to ease some burden off the luminous spirit you've gotten rather fond of - with reciprocation, as a warm sensation caresses you.

"It's time to depart." You nod and exhale, collecting your focus. "Sparky." You address one of your oldest friends, and he glides over back to his perch on your shoulder.

"I'm with you." You hear.

With that reassuring message, you immerse yourself in the realm between the realms, your consciousness slipping into a sort of routine, although in fairness you feel at least part of it is in guidance Laurentia provides.

You shed just enough of your mundane senses to be able to tell in which direction you need to go. Technicalities and details of your companions expressions, ranging from serious to awed, slide away from your perception - what remains is the invisible links and bindings you nonetheless can tell are there... the hopes you share with them, and the hopes they place in you and each other.

From your oldest companions, through your human followers to the dark queen herself, and her shadow - the nimble half elf, whose features have, ever so slightly, softened, even as her focus and ability grew.

This even extends to the twin golems, although that should hardly come as a surprise. You did see them grow from devoted automatons to a pair of distinct personalities finding their own path, and as with all other of your companions, you count yourself lucky that their choice aligned their paths with yours.

One of your current companions stood slightly apart from the rest.

Mercenary princess Maia, the red haired tomboy.

She is committed to our cause. Laurentia lets you know. But her heart lies elsewhere. Well, of course. That's why she volunteered to go with you. I worry for her. I... can relate. Laurentia adds, but stops short of elaborating further, though you can gather that she is referring to what she herself endured in the past.

The notion brings your own focus back to the now, and what you need to do.

You stride forward. You don't need to confirm your companions follow - you know they do, and more than follow. They travel alongside you.

And ahead of you, the bog and the fog make way.
>>
One step after another, you proceed with little concern, but not without fatigue.

As you resolved, you pour what will you could muster to support Laurentia as she eagerly channels her power over nature to clear your path. With more confidence and less care than yesterday, your companions also put their faith in the path that keeps opening itself before you. It's kind of endearing to see them accept the boon of the goddess so readily, and stride through the formerly treacherous landscape with a spring in their step, further enhanced by a subdued marching tune provided by Smutkin.

You couldn't bring yourself to ask the bard to stop for concerns of stealth. Partly because his music was probably not that meaningful a difference next to sheer number of footfalls, considering the size your company has grown to, but also partly because it helped you to maintain focus as well. The effort you managed to push forward was surprisingly taxing, but Laurentia's relative silence convinced you it was a worthy investment regardless.

You don't need to be so concerned for me. Laurentia lets you know, with a backlight of appreciation, and undercurrent of hope and joy. Even so, you sense a "but" behind it. In the brief pause you can feel her internal struggle, and realize it is not between admitting something to you, but perhaps even herself. Eventually, she relents. It is true that when I realized that there was a way to help you on your quest, I... may have poured more of myself into it than would allow me to keep my presence in its current form.

What does she mean, "current form"?

I am unsure myself. But it would most likely lead to me being unable to manifest as a distinctive entity. Possibly ever.

Your reaction to this revelation fits snugly into the opening of dread she had been anticipating, and almost leads to you interrupting your marching trance, but whether it was because you partly suspected your ethereal friend's selflessness might lead her down similar path, or due to knowledge that things seem to have worked out somehow, you are able to compose yourself in time.

Still, you need to ask, and you need to have her formulate a reply.

Why?

There's that pause again.
>>
I was afraid. You are told, somewhat reluctantly - again, reluctance seemed to be directed at herself rather than at you. Towards yourself you felt she was worried you would feel betrayed.

Afraid... of the enemy?

Yes. Laurentia says. I wanted to do my best to help you, and the way to shape the terrain for you seemed something I was perfectly suited for. But it takes a lot of strength that I cannot replenish without exposing myself to... to the world.

And the underlying corruption, you add to yourself. But it was not the fear of her own corruption she was referring to...

No... no, it was my fear of confronting the Enemy directly. That I would fall and turn against you and your cause. That I would fail. That... I would watch you fail. Again, a pause, though this time there was not much left of the struggle as she seems to have come to terms with her self-assessment. I have felt that if I gave myself trying to do what I could do best, then if it meant I'd be spared all this... perhaps it would be for the best.

So that was what it was. She was fine with fading away, rather than face the uncertain outcome and possibility of having her hopes crushed once again.

You couldn't hide from yourself, or her, that the sentiment did bite you somewhat. Although you'd like to think it was because you were bothered by idea of losing a friend this way, rather than from indignance at her assessment of your chances.

After all, you yourself knew that in purely mechanical terms, odds were stacked heavily against you. When you set out, you had hardly an idea of where and how to proceed past some immediate steps you could take - and a reason to do so.

You thought back to what had moved you in the first place. That spark of light bequeathed to you by your parents, joined by flickers of hope you saw in eyes of your comrades.

You kept that spark close to your heart. Even if you were to fall and fail, you would do so sheltering its flickering warmth, knowing you did what was in your power and more besides.

At the same time, could you begrudge Laurentia for feeling the way she did? Would you have felt the way you did if you had endured what she did?
>>
For a while you travel in silence, processing what the goddess shared with you, and her own quiet introspection joined with relief at having been sincere with both you and herself.

And as you mull over your respective outlooks, another realization strikes you.

She was speaking in past tense, and her strength seemed undiminished. If anything, she was rather optimistic when you chose to press for her to elaborate. So what happened next?

In truth, I don't understand that myself. Laurentia answers. I felt at my limits when we stopped for the night. I found myself back in my dream, and at peace. And... a bit guilty, as I didn't know if I'd be able to help you again. But then... It's not exactly the same as when you wake up, but when I realized that the dawn is coming again, and I felt stronger. And a bit embarrassed for some reason. But recovered. It occurred to me that maybe I've underestimated my reserves. But I think that's not it. I can't be certain, but perhaps it's your own quest and purpose that allowed me to go on.

She didn't... remember?

I already told you, I don't consciously know everything about me. There was a tiniest hint of indignance and embarrassment in that admission. I'm still discovering things. Some I have forgotten. Some I may have chosen to forget. But some... some I am certain are new for this world.

With that she falls silent, and you get a sense of quiet contemplation from her.

Hopefully, this time she would not be so quick to throw her existence on the line.

You accept the tiny spike of annoyance, embarrassment and affection that comes in response to that last internal remark of yours with a mental equivalent of a friendly squeeze, and allow your mind to settle on what to focus on next...

>Laurentia seemed at peace for now, but if she is that worried about failing, you could reassure her of your trust in her?
>Laurentia seemed at peace for now, but if she is that worried about failing, you could encourage her to trust herself a bit more?
>There was something else you wished to talk with Laurentia about... (what?)
>There was nothing to say right now. Keep your peace, and your pace. Atlassia draws near.
>Perhaps you could take this chance to reach out to one of your other companions (who? what about?)
>other idea
>>
>>5989116
>There was something else you wished to talk with Laurentia about... the dream.
Correct me if I'm wrong but that one was waaay more real than the ones we are used to. Must be a transcendence thing.
Also, Laurentia Route, anyone?
>>
>>5989116
>There was something else you wished to talk with Laurentia about... (what?)
If Laurentia fears to replenish her strength through exposing herself to the world, perhaps she could replenish her strength through ourselves and our companions.
>>
>>5989116
>Laurentia seemed at peace for now, but if she is that worried about failing, you could reassure her of your trust in her?

>Laurentia seemed at peace for now, but if she is that worried about failing, you could encourage her to trust herself a bit more?
trust in the me that trust in you kinda thing.
>>
>>5989116

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.