[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/qst/ - Quests

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
Draw Size ×
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • Roll dice with "dice+numberdfaces" in the options field (without quotes).

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Crimson Spire.png (861 KB, 648x616)
861 KB
861 KB PNG
Part 4 has successfully loaded!
Character sheets, shopping lists, and more: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1V0eqo-5JEuUwZ-AODD9jkxGMwEhkvn77?usp=sharing
Archive: https://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/qstarchive.html?tags=Lodestar:%20Dawn%20of%20a%20New%20Age

Last time, we took control of Val Lasombra as we learned of Gremory's past as the infamous Demon of Water that once terrorized Gaoth's lands with three other demons that were slain. We expanded our understanding of the world upon the reveal of Time and Space magic that Demons could wield through the counterelement of Mana called Soul, and went on a much-needed shopping spree that ended in The Flame of Arcadia undergoing some upgrades at the hand of the Shipwrights Guild that would render it inoperable until complete. Lobo relayed important information on a collection of reliable crewmen available for recruitment around Threespice, and the gang collected valuable blackmail information and loot from Stillwater's caches around the city. Lastly, they set out from the safety of the city to search for a group of independent Eldingarian engineers that were late for their arrival, only to find that they had been attacked by a group of Black Pirates that stranded them.

As we pick up our adventure again, the group is aboard the Skyseer, an intimidating and powerful Gaoth raidship run by Captain Jaghatai. They had negotiated peace with him, and convinced him to hunt down the pirate that felled Aito's ship nearby. As of the moment, the group is learning about the finer details of Gaoth culture, courtesy of Jaghatai's talkative and patriotic nature. For now, though...who will we be playing as this time around?

>Ramza Valentine. You're cocky, charming, and killer with a Mageblade.
>Val Lasombra. You're great with magic, but even better with a pistol. Not one for words, you think actions speak much louder.
>Gigas. You've yet to meet anyone that can best you physically, or resist your infectious cheer.
>>
>>5986131
>Gigas. You've yet to meet anyone that can best you physically, or resist your infectious cheer.
Since we're learning about Gaoth and all!
>>
>>5986131
Sure, I’ll back >>5986137.
>>
>>5986131
>>
>>5986131
Luv me Gigas, but I gotta know what that book say
>>
>>5986131
>>
>>5986137
>>5986142
>>5986257
>>5986368
>>5986407

Your name is Ramza Valentine, and right now you're trying your best to seem aloof and friendly despite the waves of panic and dread coursing through you at the moment. Had you been a poorer actor, you have no doubt you'd be openly sweating while talking to the dangerous-seeming Captain Jaghatai. You would say that your worries are well-founded, given how you're surrounded by Jaghatai's men and most certainly outnumbered in what could easily become enemy territory should you say the wrong things here. A glance at Gigas tells you that he's completely at ease, and Val is as unreadable as ever, thankfully.

"The Array you mentioned within the ship, and the alloys...they've got me interested, I must admit. Can you tell me more about them?" You ask, hoping it's a neutral enough question.

"I can't say anything about the particulars, as I am not well versed in the mystical arts nor in forging. I can say, however, that the array enables fine control of air movements in a spherical bubble around ten men's heights about the ship. There's a module over there to actually control it." Jaghatai says, gesturing over to where one of his men is stationed. A quick glance at the 'module' shows an interesting display of the ship itself, with the soldier manning it making peculiar gestures above the display to manipulate it.

"That sounds a lot like Slipstream!" Gigas points out, Jaghatai chuckling and nodding along.

"I'm told it's based upon it, yes. Just scaled up and fine-tined. As for the alloys, well, they're like a partial-catalyst I'm told. They can't bestow the aspects of Wind upon mana, but they can preserve those aspects indefinitely when channeled through it. And they happen to be much lighter than similar metals while retaining the same strength, as an added boon." He explains.

"Sounds like we made the right choice with outfitting our other ship with Aerosteel, then. I'm looking forward to plowing through things just like this baby." You say, grinning as you imagine daring and bold maneuvers such as ramming straight into an enemy ship and coming out of the other side with nary a scratch. "You guys got wind-infused cannons at all?"

"Indeed. It's not quite as useful as the rest of the enchantments on the ship, but it does allow our ammunition to maintain its punch at longer distances than usual. Were we to fight a superior force, we could simply whittle them down at a safe distance if need be." He sounds confident in his assurances, as though he's done it before.

You note Val leaning in to talk with the Pilot, perking your ears up to eavesdrop on them for a moment. "I'm interested in your piloting skills. What are some useful maneuvers you've done before?" The gunslinger asks.
>>
"There's a few. If we're facing numerically superior forces, we pull hard to the side and stagger cannonfire to sweep the battlefield. I'm also a fan of getting above an enemy and tilting us by about 45 degrees, so we can get clear shots into their deck with the extra force of gravity assisting us." The pilot explains, then pulling up a little hook attached to his belt. "Just make sure your crew hooks onto something before you do it."

"Interesting..." Is all Val says, before you turn your attention back to the other captain.

"Before we go into the nitty gritty details of Gaoth culture, I want to know something about you, Captain. Glory for Gaoth can be found in many ways, as I'm sure you're already aware. Why did you choose to become a Captain over all other choices?" You ask him, leaning up against one of the metal-wrapped consoles and making sure not to accidentally hit any buttons while doing so.

"There are few honors greater than conquering in the name of Gaoth, my friend. To fight, to win, to lead others in the name of Gaoth! That is a dream that all should pursue, in my opinion. It was my calling, and I answered that calling as soon as I could. What else could I have possibly done? I've no aptitude for engineering, no patience for politics, and the chef has banned me from making any additions to our mealplan. Becoming a Captain was my only fate." He says, crossing his arms and no doubt grinning under that helmet of his.

"Damn, that's rough. You've got some kind of curse when it comes to cooking, huh?" You say with a smirk.

"It could have felled a dragon." One of the soldiers speaks up. "The smell of it alone still haunts my dreams."

"...Well, that's answer enough for that, I suppose." The captain coughs into his fist awkwardly. "Surely you must be curious about other aspects of our culture!" He not-so-subtly tries to get you to change the subject. You struggle not to laugh at that moment.

"Culinary disasters aside," You start, trying to reign in the shit-eating grin that wanted to form on your face. "I am pretty curious about what courtship is like in Gaoth. Although I'm mostly asking for a friend."

"Bullshit." Val says, and you give him a look of betrayal as he shoves the metaphorical knife in your back.

"That's enough out of you, Mr. Lasombra." You scowl at him.

"I imagine it's much the same as it is anywhere, is it not? A man fancies a woman, impresses her, humiliates her other suitors by defeating them in bloody combat, and ultimately wins her favor through might. Assuming all goes well and they prove to be compatible, eventually you duel her father, and once he is satisfied with your worth as a warrior you are allowed to wed." He explains as though it was completely and totally normal behavior.

"...Surely that doesn't happen EVERY time?" You ask, wondering if your dreams of a Gaoth babe are going to be crushed today.
>>
"Well...it's the more traditional way of doing things, yes. The younger generation sometimes chooses to eschew it in favor of a much quicker resolution, proving their to-be loyalty to their chosen woman in a drastic manner in order to win their heart. It varies from case to case, I've seen it range from subduing a powerful monster with no weapons nor armor nor clothing...to parting with one of their own bodyparts as the gesture. Frankly, I find it to be unnecessary and foolish. The traditional ways are superior and have lasted for a reason." He admits.

"And these ways are pretty common for every Gaoth?" You can't help but frown.

"Of course. We would loathe to allow weakness to persist in our society, and proving one's strength is the only way to be sure that poor stock doesn't taint our bloodlines." He thumps his metal chestplate proudly. "Each generation is born stronger than the last, and it's only thanks to our dedication to strength as a people!"

"It's, uh, definitely pretty different from how we do things in Lume." You say. You're not sure what else to say. Gaoth culture seems pretty insane from your perspective, but you're not sure if that's just because of how radically different it is from yours or not. You're sure they would probably think your practices are insane too. You thus decide to change the subject once more. "What about upbringings - what's it usually like to grow up in a Gaoth household?"

Gigas perks up and listens a bit more intently now. "It can vary quite a bit, of course, depending on the expectations of your parentage. Military enrollment is mandatory and expected of all who come of age, naturally, and those who cannot meet our expectations are culled or exiled. As no parent wishes to see this happen to their child, most are trained from a young age to become hale and hearty combatants by the time they mature. Aptitudes in other fields, if presented, are reported to the empire so that a skilled tutor can be sent to encourage the growth of those skills." Jaghatai explains, each word making you dread the idea of Gaoth rule just a bit more.

"So everyone in the nation is trained killer?" Val asks, quirking an eyebrow up that you can barely see.

"Indeed. And while a man's training is focused on martial combat, a woman's place is that of a shamanka - a sorceress. Male ones exist, of course, but it is far more common that a woman's studies be focused on the mystical realm given her physical weakness in comparison to men. We are not a people in the habit of polishing dirt, as it is far better to grow a seedling in it instead." He uses a strange saying you've not heard before.

"Ah, so the tradition of shipwitchery is still strong among your people then, I assume? Is there one aboard the Skyseer?" You ask.
>>
"No. Men and women on the same ship is an ill omen. Each belongs to their own unit, their own crew separated from each other." Jaghatai denies vehemently. "Even putting superstition aside, it would simply lead to bad blood should my men start fighting each other for a shamanka's attentions. Intolerable. Such dalliances must only happen on leave, not under my watch upon my ship."

You try your best to hide your complete and utter disappointment at the revelation that there's not a single woman aboard this ship. You fail, naturally, grimacing heavily and letting out a sigh.

"Better luck next time, Ramza." Gigas says with a chuckle. "By the way, I was wondering...how often does someone kill someone else in this training?"

"Rarely, I would say. Accidents happen, but to do so intentionally? It is a practice only done when one has been trained by either an untouchable or a seneschal. In the former case, it is a mark of restored honor for them and their family in death. The latter, a mark of dedication and competence, demonstrating a worthiness to continue your family's duties." He says.

"I'm not familiar with either of those terms." Gigas rubs the back of his head with a dopey grin.

"Ah - an untouchable is one who has failed Gaoth, but bears something of worth that prevents us from executing him immediately. Once his knowledge is sufficiently passed on to a worthy student, he is allowed to rest at peace among his brothers once more. A seneschal is any who have been personally appointed to a position by our great Emperor, each of them men of great bearing and skill. The Emperor despises all forms of nepotism, hence the requirement for heirs to slay their fathers if they wish to adopt their family's duties."

"That's a pretty raw deal." You can't help but say, frowning. "I don't think I'd have what it takes to kill my own dad."

"You would be surprised what one could do when faced with the prospect of ruining your family should you refuse the responsibility. Still, it's a choice I'm glad I never had to make personally." Jaghatai sighs out himself.

"Let's talk about something a little less heavy. You hear about what the Eldingarians are building? That artificial spire project of theirs?" You shift gears, interested in hearing the Goath opinion on a different nation.

"A foul monument that plans to usurp the essence of the deceased to power a nation of decadence and convenience. They dishonor not only their own ancestors by conceiving of it, but all of our ancestors! Would that we had the power to, we would storm Eldingar in force and put their entire populace to the sword." He clenches a fist tight enough that the metal gauntlet around it groans in protest. "But their defenses are too tight for our raidships to slip past, and too potent to merely force our way through. We would be decimated upon entry, while their ships would be perfectly fresh."
>>
"When you put it like that, yeah, fuck 'em!" You say. "They're going to use the mana from everyone that's ever died just to power their cities. That's pretty fucked up."

"Most fucked up, brother. Most fucked up indeed." Jaghatai shakes his head forlornly. "It is something I can only imagine a Demon wishing to do."

"Demons...hey, is that old fable about the four demons that brought ruin to the nine cities true?" You ask, hoping to get a bit of insight into his view on demons in general next.

"A scholar of the old tales, are we? How interesting. Yes, the ruins of those cities have been preserved as a warning to all of the dangers of Demons. It has inspired many a man and woman to join the Demonbane Court, which was formed by the king that took the throne just after the one in that story had been slain. They root out all demons they can and slay them as their duty to Gaoth, and enjoy a great many privileges that normal soldiers do not. They answer to none but the Emperor's personal authority. Were one to be aboard this ship, I would defer to him on all matters."

"Do you have to be Gaoth to join the Demonbane Court?" Val asks suddenly. Damn it, Val.

"Not born, but a recognized citizen, yes. Any who serve Gaoth appropriately will be given the right to join them. Passing their rigorous tests, however...that is a far different matter." Jaghatai waves the question off, not probing further into it thankfully.

"Here's hoping we become Gaoth citizens in the future, then." You give Jaghatai your patented fingerguns, just to let him know you're totally on his side and will continue to be so in the future. Definitely. "Would the discovery of a new kind of magic warrant citizenship?"

"Hmm? Perhaps? I'm really not sure. It depends on how useful the magic is. Why, have you learned of something?" He asks, interested.

"Space magic. Ever heard of it?" You part your hands and shake them in a flashy manner.

"No, never. Can you demonstrate it?"

"...No." You cringe. "I can't actually use it, but I have heard of it!"

Jaghatai sighs with disappointment. "Then I must regretfully inform you that merely hearing about a possible new form of magic is of no use to Gaoth, and we must deny your request for citizenship."

You groan and slap a palm onto your face. "I should have thought that through a little more." You admit.

"Oh, I've got a question!" Gigas speaks up, slamming the bottom of a fist into the upturned palm of his hand. "I've been wondering this entire time, are you guys planning on conquering the other nations anytime soon?"

You look at him and do your best to hide your growing horror at him just openly asking the thing you've been dreading this entire time, but you're sure some of it must show in your eyes still. Gigas looks completely clueless about how dangerous that question is, and now it's up to you to defuse that verbal bomb before it blows up in your face.

>Roll 7d10 for Ramza, 1d10 for Gigas, and 1d10 for Val!
>>
Rolled 8, 6, 8, 8, 8, 5, 3 = 46 (7d10)

>>5987095
>>
>>5987147
Now that's fast talking!
>>
Rolled 10 (1d10)

>>5987095
>>
Rolled 9 (1d10)

>>5987095
Rolling for Val, I suppose.

And holy shit Ramza. Forgot all your nervousness for a second and became the very concept of speech I take it?
>>
>>5987147
>>5987177
>>5987199
Phenominal. Stunning.
While Val didn't get a partial success like Gigas did, he got close enough to it and everyone in general rolled so damn well that I'm willing to give it to him.
Have a vote, lads.

Ramza gets:
>+1 Charm
>+1 Connive
Gigas gets:
>+1 Charm
>+1 Connive
Val gets:
>+1 Charm
>+1 Connive
>>
>>5987210
Ramza did so well that everyone else learned from the experience.

Don’t forget to reward Jaghatai and his crew their level-up point from witnessing it!

Ramza gets:
>+1 Connive
Gigas gets:
>+1 Connive
Val gets:
>+1 Charm

Ramza leans on his strongest skill to pull through, Givas picks up from it, and Val was close to figuring out part of Ramza’s secrets but landed a little off-mark to improve his charm instead. Not that he minds.

The stats go into everyone’s highest skill. Gigas will be out of the negatives and Val could technically succeed at a Charm roll. It’s only a 10% chance, but still.
>>
>>5987222
Jaghatai learns the most important thing of all. The true meaning of friendship.
Wait, that's bullshit...
>>
>>5987223
Ah, so +2 relationship dice for actions that affect his friends. Pretty powerful bullshit indeed!

Sounds like if he were a Gaoth woman he’d get Friendship is Magic instead of True Meaning of Friendship?

But more seriously, I do want to ask him now about if someone who had attacked Gaoth could still apply for Gaoth citizenship and be treated fairly. Would Gaoth accept someone who proved their strength and skill by harming Gaoth itself? It’s a sliding scale, I’m sure, so the most extreme example we know of (that of one of the demons who destroyed the nine cities) would likely be the most illuminating. It shows what is truly more important about a person’s actions when you hit the extremes.
>>
>>5987210
Deviouspilled or Swaggermaxxing, choices choices.
Ramza gets:
>+1 Connive
Gigas gets:
>+1 Charm
Val gets:
>+1 Connive

Ramza is an absolute Kevin McAllister, Dennis the Menace style crafty trickster, and his freaky levels of plots on plots cannot be surmounted. Gigas needs a little work on his charm, and no use polishing dirt with his connive skill. Val however, seems to benefit from a wider range of techniques to draw on, and fits well narratively with both characters imo.
>>
>>5987210
Ramza gets:
>+1 Connive
Gigas gets:
>+1 Connive
Val gets:
>+1 Connive

Connivemaxing. We're called Trinity for a reason.
>>
>>5987414
>>5987210
>Support

Conniving to the max boyyysss.

Welcome back qm.

And thanks for voting for ramza anons. I missed that vote.
>>
>>5987210
Ramza
>+1 Charm
Giga
>+1 Charm
Val
>+1 Connive
>>
Oh, btw, this is my home IP for future reference, when I mobile-post.
>>
>>5987222
>>5987351
>>5987414
>>5987482
>>5987669
Ultimately, connivemaxxing wins out! Looks like the entire gang learned how to pull the wool over people's eyes a little bit better. Writing!
I'll be sure to include >>5987236 your question here, because it's a valid one and we're tricky enough to avoid it being taken the wrong way.
>>
"I had the same thought too, actually." You reply, brain working overtime to weave a line of bullshit that can spin this interaction in a new light. "The benefits of a world unifying governance would be undeniable, especially if Gaoth is the one that comes out on top. Corruption would be a thing of the past, I imagine. Men like Felippe would not exist, could not exist."

"True!" Gigas says, picking up on your shift almost immediately. Val, meanwhile, opts to remain silent but does assent with a slight nod that you pick up on.

"I knew there was a reason why I liked you. You have a good, strong head on your shoulders." Captain Jaghatai claps you on said shoulders, chuckling in a good natured manner. "Yes, the Emperor has given many speeches in the past on the destiny of Gaoth. We are the strongest nation, made of the strongest people, with the strongest will. It is only natural that we lay claim to the lands of our lessers, and in doing so we will join them with Gaoth and uplift them in time. We wage war and slaughter those who oppose us because it is our right, and our duty to the world. Once all have come under our banner, peace and prosperity the likes of which the world has never seen will spread to all. It will be a golden age for every blessed soul under the Core."

You feel a bit of bile rising up in your throat at the thought, and it's clear to you that this is nothing more than pure delusion. To you, that future sounds like little more than a nightmare.

"Would it be possible for one who attacked or opposed Gaoth to ever become a Gaoth citizen? If they were strong and skilled enough to do so and live, surely they would be worth accepting." You ask.

"We would be poorer to refuse them. The blood of the strong is an absolute necessity, and if they were strong enough and bold enough to strike at even the heart of us? Then they bear the soul of Gaoth himself within them. As our founder himself once said, the Strong shall thrive, and the Weak must serve. We would be remiss in our duties to reject them solely because of the damage to our pride." Jaghatai says, surprising you with his stance.

"Even if they, for example, killed your emperor?" You clarify.

"How do you think our current emperor came about? When Emperor Altan was but a boy of thirteen years old, he challenged the previous emperor, Naran, to a duel. Naran took it to be little more than an enthusiastic child playing a game, and intended to humble the child in their battle. His mercy was a weakness that Altan capitalized on, and Naran was returned to the Core by Altan's own hand. Altan has since reforged our people into what we are today, returning us to our roots and undoing the damage that Naran's softness caused." Jaghatai sounds proud of the fact, as though he fully believes in Altan's rule.

"You don't have to be of royal blood to become the next Emperor?" Gigas asks, looking quite surprised.
>>
"Of course not. Altan came from common blood. He put his own family to the blade when they sought to use his power and wealth for their own gain, and he has placed several laws to inflict similar punishments upon any who attempt to do similarly with their own blood. Gaoth unites us, not blood. We prove our own worths, not suckling from another's like a parasite."

"How long has Altan ruled for?" Val asks.

"Uh..." Jaghatai takes a moment to glance down at his hands, various fingers coming up and down as he counts it out. "41 years as of this year, I believe. Yes, that's right, there was a celebration of his fourtieth year of rule last year. It was quite the time, a shame you missed it."

"A shame indeed. I'll have to attend the 50th in a few years, then." You say with a shrug. "But speaking of parties, what do you guys usually do after a victory? Surely you party as hard as you work."

"You undersell us, Captain Valentine. No people in the world party as hard as the Gaoth do. You'll see for yourself soon enough, once we eliminate this pirate we're hunting." Jaghatai turns to face the window once more. "Speaking of which, I am most curious about what you intend to do during this hunt. Insights into the tactical side of my peers are always a delight."

>You'll go out ahead of them on the Gleamrunner to grab the enemy's attention, so the Skyseer can blindside them.
>You'll hit them at the same time, encircling the enemy so they stand no chance of escape.
>You'll let the Skyseer grab their attention, then blindside them yourself with the Gleamrunner and perform some boarding action.
>Write-in a different tactic!
>>
>>5988401
>You'll go out ahead of them on the Gleamrunner to grab the enemy's attention, so the Skyseer can blindside them.
>>
>>5988401

Gotta show off vals piloting skills.
>>
>>5988401
>>
>>5988401
We’re more maneuverable than the enemy is, yet too weak to chase them off. If their captain has a third the cleverness he’s supposed to then he’ll know we have a trick up our sleeves, but any option besides engaging us is stupid until he knows the details. He’d be a laughingstock if he ran from us alone.

So we can be sure to bite at him and encourage him to chase us. We can do the harpoon trick as our ship-based tactical act to throw off their broadside from the Skyseer, and if the enemy is still flying after the first hit from the Skyseer then we can both attempt a boarding action to capture the ship, its captain, and its spoils.

In the very unlikely event he runs early, work our way under his ship for a harpoon shot through the keel. I can’t imagine a flying ship taking that much better than a seaborne ship.
>>
Rolled 3, 2, 5, 4, 1, 8 = 23 (6d10)

>>5988417
>>5988493
>>5988528
>>5988883
Sorry about that, ended up pretty busy today! We have a unanimous tactical decision. We're going to be jumping right into the action in the next update! With that in mind, give me Val's piloting check of 8d10 to avoid damage while their attention is on you, Ramza's connive check of 8d10 to ensure their attention remains FIRMLY on you, and Gigas' roll of 4d10 to man the harpoon in case you can deal a bit of damage yourself.
Round 1 will be just you and the enemy pirate, so here's the enemy's piloting roll.
Behind the scenes, if you're interested in the mechanical side of things: Vehicular Combat is decided almost the same as regular combat, with a few key differences. At the start of each combat round, the pilot rolls the vehicle's speed rating + either their hands+piloting or brain+piloting pool. If the ship's size is 3 or higher, they may only use speed + brains + piloting, representative of the fact that the ship is unable to make tight turns and mobility is less of a factor than tactical placement.

The result of these rolls determines each combatant's POSITIONING. Vehicle combatants declare their actions in order of Position width, from lowest to highest (Height breaks a tie). Generally speaking, a maneuverable vehicle with a higher position roll can attack you and you cannot attack it back.
Combat proceeds as normal from there.
>>
Rolled 7, 8, 4, 2, 2, 2, 2, 10 = 37 (8d10)

>>5989793
>>
>>5989796
Jesus christ, Val, you don't have to show off that much. They didn't even get a pair!
>>
Rolled 6, 10, 7, 3, 9, 8, 5, 3 = 51 (8d10)

>>5989793
Ramza's go.
>>
Rolled 4, 4, 10, 6 = 24 (4d10)

>>5989793
Gigas roll.

>>5989798
He wanted to try the tricks he learned from the other pilot. Not his flashiest work, but damn effective.
>>
>>5989798
We doing loop de loops around these scrubs. He's focused on getting a Goath girl that's dangerous. Gotta show off to the captain to get a waifu.
>>
>>5989865
A vast improvement over the assassin he found attractive.

I wasn’t entirely lying when I said Ramza was asking about Gaoth women for a friend. I admit I was thinking about Gigas since I didn’t think he’d ask, but it applies to Val too.
>>
>>5988417
>>5988493
>>5988528
>>5988883
>>5989796
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2BMJu9OSls

The wind is whipping through your hair as you stand with a foot propped up against the front railing of the gleamrunner, your ship having just emerged from the icefields moments ago. You cast your gaze across the cloudy skies, and just as you suspected you spot a shadow slowly drifting through them, your hunter-turned-prey lurking just in case you were to try to sneak back to their initial quarry.

"Pretend like we don't see them, Val. Head in low and slow, like we're trying to avoid notice." You order, noticing a slight slowing of the other ship's shadow. "We're going to go right up under them, then do a modified tilt maneuver to fire up at them from below. Gigas, man the harpoon."

"Aye aye!" Two voices call back to you simultaneously. You begin to descend closer towards the ground and enter the same cloudcover that your enemy is dwelling in, drifting along at a painfully slow pace as you become locked in an observation match with the enemy. It takes a few moments, but their course seems to readjust to follow you.

"Steady..." You say a few minutes in, having told Val to slowly ramp up the speed, knowing that your ship is far more capable of stopping on a dime than theirs is. Finally, they seem to be just a couple dozen feet behind you, so you hold up a hand and give the signal. "Now! Hard brake and tilt us! Gigas, hold tight and be ready to fire!"

The gleamrunner jerks backwards as Val pulls on the brake with one hand, simultaneously spinning the helm as fast as he can off to starboard. The ship immediately begins to tilt in a way that you're sure the builders never intended it to, and you're grateful that you've got yourself hooked up to the railing right now given how slippery the floor suddenly seems.

"Taking the shot!" Gigas calls out, a muffled blast ringing out as the internal charge launches the harpoon up towards the enemy ship. Their own reactions are too slow, as they've barely started to slow down right as your ship comes directly under them. The harpoon flies up and the sharp ringing of metal ripping through metal can be heard, and Gigas immediately locks the line in reel-only mode to stop it from being pulled away before he seizes the reel and starts to crank it. "Confirming a hit!"

"Excellent work! Val, raise us up above them from their flank!" You say, unclipping yourself from the railing only once Val's righted the ship once more. You make your way over to the communistone next to your pilot, placing your hand on it and focusing your intent on the ship nearby.

"You little bastard, you just cost me a cannon! You're bold for a dead man." The voice on the other end calls out before you can say anything.
>>
"My apologies, captain, but I'm not in the habit of running with my tail between my legs nor with letting insults pass. You fired on my men earlier, and I'm going to take the pound of flesh you owe me in person." You reply, letting an aura of smugness radiate through your voice.

"Hah! You really think you can do anything other than take potshots with a puny ship like that? Hells, you ain't even got a proper cannon on that piece of shit. You fired the only shot you'll get!" He barks out a laugh as your ship starts to raise itself up and over the enemy's.

Your ship momentarily shudders as the cannon you'd apparently hit gets ejected from the other ship, falling down to the ground until the harpoon's line goes taut once more. One less weapon to worry about, you suppose - you'll have to keep in mind which side is missing a gun, in case you need to cross their line of sight at all.

"We're gonna want that cannon for later, so reel it up, Gigas. And work as quickly as you can to extract the harpoon from it so we can take a second shot. We're going to bleed them dry." You order, conveniently 'forgetting' that your hand was on the stone so the other captain can hear your plan. Then you shift your intent to that of the Skyseer's stone, your communications quickly changing to align with their frequency. "Captain Jaghatai, their attention is firmly on the Gleamrunner. You are clear to enter. Their offense is lacking on the portside guns now, and their attention is going to be above them."

"Excellent work, Captain. The Skyseer is now heading to engage. Do as you wish - but I cannot recommend any boarding actions at this time." Jaghatai's voice emits from your stone, and you can't help but chuckle at how well this is going for you. A part of you wonders if you truly could have taken the enemy ship without aid from the Skyseer, but then again...why fight fair? It's not like a black pirate ever would.

That being said, it's time to consider the next phase of your plan as Gigas works on wrenching that harpoon out of the cannon he hauled up. You're damn impressed with the man's strength, that shit can't be light...

>Take the wheel and have Val help Gigas to take the next shot, as he's got the best aim out of all of you.
>All-in on evasive maneuvers, aid Val in piloting. The skyseer can take over offense from here.
>You DO have a heavy-ass cannon aboard your ship now, and you're above them. Drop it on their sails.
>write-in?

Sorry for taking so long. Life kicks me in the nuts every time I start a thread.
>>
>>5991163
>All-in on evasive maneuvers, aid Val in piloting. The skyseer can take over offense from here.

Sorry to hear things are going rough, QM. May you be smoothly sailing again soon!
>>
>>5991163
How far can we launch a fireball?

Far enough to light some sails on fire and force them to run around putting them out?

Life has been grinding mine for a while, but getting kicked in them is still worse. Hope it passes soon.
>>
>>5991183
You could pull the ship close enough to light their sails on fire, if you're quick about it. The skyseer is going to be aiming for the core of their ship most likely, so it should be...relatively safe.
>>
>>5991163
>>5991184
Hmm. We’ll need to look into slow-burning materials we can air drop onto enemy ships. Something like mending sap, so it can travel down well and stick to whatever it hits while on fire.

I’ll tentatively back
>”Sail me closer, I want to hit them with my fireballs!”
but I’ll switch to
>All-in on evasive maneuvers, aid Val in piloting. The Skyseer can take over offense from here.
if we have a tie.
>>
>>5991186
>Investing in napalm
Jesus christ, anon, isn't that stuff a war crime?
>>
>>5991202
If the equivalent of the Geneva Convention exists then it would be classified as such if used by a nation against another nation’s civilians, yes.

While our opponent may be classified as such since he isn’t operating under the military of a nation, it seems more likely he’d be treated as an enemy combatant and thus a legal target for weapons like napalm. There is the fact that a “pirate nation” seems unlikely to have signed the Convention as well, and if they did we’re operating under the same “nation” as it were. It is not a war crime to use such items against civilians (or combatants for that matter) in your own nation, hence why tear gas and pepper spray are used by police in spite of being chemical weapons that would constitute a war crime if used by the military against another nation’s civilian population. Because fuck human decency.

Long tangent aside, I’m not expecting it to keep burning even if you suffocate it or toss water onto it. Stuff like napalm and white phosphorus is horrifying, I just want something easy to light up that has enough mass and fuel to reliably be dropped from above onto a ship without getting blown off-course. I’m sure the wood of these ships are treated to resist burning, but you can’t expect to leave fires on a ship deck to not spread eventually, and a bunch of small, easily extinguished fires are still a distraction that has to have crew tasked to take care of it quickly.
>>
>>5991218
I think QM's horror had more to do with the brutality of napalm's effects rather than the contextual legality of its use to horrifically and painfully melt THESE specific dudes.
>>
>>5991218
>>5991221
I'm just joshin you, war crimes don't exist in Lodestar (yet). Lume is too free-spirited and profit-oriented, Voda is all about manifest destiny, Gaoth is too busy sipping the might makes right juice, and Eldingar believes that the biggest stick is the best deterrent.
Ironically, blue pirates such as yourselves are the most likely ones to agree to not use inhumane practices in a battle. Sadly, blue pirates have yet to form a collective group, and it's really just a catchall term for a loose group of people with similar ideals but no structure beyond separated crews.
Besides that, as far as violent deaths goes, people are burned to death a decent chunk of the time thanks to the proliferation of fire magic. And electrocuted to death. And suffocated. And frozen from the inside out. Frankly speaking, magic doesn't really have a gentle touch in battle most of the time. If it's any consolation though, Monsters tend to inflict just as bad shit if not worse on people.
>>
>>5991163
>>
>>5991163
>>5991232
So is Gaoth or Voda the local not!Russia?
>>
>>5991420
>Russia
What kind of 'Russia' do you mean??
I guess the Voda, analogous to imperial orthodox Russia, what with how they conquered the east.
Gaoth seems like a proud, martial society, so they are closer to the USA imo, likely to be a cultural mishmash, 'liberal' foreign policy, probably highly economically dependent on slaves.
inb4 Voda are melanin-enhanced
>>
Rolled 2, 6, 5, 9, 3, 3, 6, 6, 3, 10 = 53 (10d10)

>>5991169
>>5991186
>>5991293
>>5991420
All-in on evasion!
Roll me 4 dice for Ramza's assistance. If he gets any pairs, he can contribute those pairs to Val's pool.
Val's rolling the same pool as before, 8d10.
Gigas is also rolling the same as before, 4d10, to try to shoot them.

Oh, and here's the SKYSEER'S initial assault. Since they're attacking from 'stealth', they don't need to make a piloting check this round. It's purely guns blazing for them. And they have a hell of a lot of guns.
>>
Rolled 9, 3, 2, 8, 10, 8 = 40 (6d10)

>>5991761
And for what it's worth, this is the enemy's piloting roll.
>>
Rolled 7, 7, 7, 5 = 26 (4d10)

>>5991761
>>
Rolled 10, 4, 2, 3, 9, 7, 5, 7 = 47 (8d10)

>>5991761
>>
File: e42.png (200 KB, 356x256)
200 KB
200 KB PNG
>>5991786
>>5991787
>>
Rolled 4, 7, 4, 6 = 21 (4d10)

>>5991761
>>
>>5991761
So, uh. Same Gigas roll as before, maybe they lose another cannon on the port side. But I’m seeing 5 rolls of 7 against 3 of 3 (can on) and a pair of 8 (pilot).

There’s something magical in this boat, isn’t there? Everyone laughs at the idea of using the little ultralight as a proper ship, but slot a crystal into it and suddenly the space-based runic array that no one bothered checking for kicks on to make the ship’s profile smaller and balance its gravity during hard maneuvers. Is that it?
>>
>>5991163
About the QM curse...
Feel free to use the thread as your personal blog if advice or a good ear from strangers could help you.
You can also tell me to fuck off like the faggot I am, if it makes you feel better.

But I swear there's something out there aiming for the QM of this board.
>>
>>5992482
It's baffling to me how the QM curse is on a per-thread basis. I always thought it was a per-quest basis. Like something that hits you when you first start a new quest, but chills out after that.
We need to study this curse. Learn everything there is to learn about it. Harness it against our enemies. Empower ourselves with the curse energy.
>>
>>5992545
my brother in arenji it is a per-post basis, a sisyphean task like all creative works
>>
>>5992545
I dunno. It feels similar to harnessing hell for clean energy, or transforming into a demon for a power buff, or hitting yourself with radiation to get superpowers. The protag in Curse Carrier got nifty powers out of his curse, but he’s clearly an aberration.

If you learned to harness the QM curse, it’d probably end with us anons banding together at some point to prevent you from erasing quests from the timeline somehow.
>>
>>5992578
I always DID have a dream to become the final boss...
>>
>>5991786
>>5991787
>>5992390
>>5992482
>>5992546
"All hands on the wheel, Mr. Lasombra! I'm going to handle the rest of the instruments for now, we're going to want to pull out all the stops to avoid counterfire now that they're aware the jig is up." You order, unhooking yourself from the railing to move yourself over beside the helm and re-hook yourself in place. "Gigas, take another shot as soon as you have one."

With the various brass levers in hand that control elevation and braking, you work in tandem with Val to stay firmly in the 'blind spots' of the enemy ship, where they can't fire upon you without moving cannons to a different location. And they do indeed try to do so, members of the deck crew wheeling their heavy Basilisk cannons about and clearly growing frustrated when you move out of position again. Their pilot is faring no better, the larger ship having virtually no luck with trying to maneuver into a better spot to counterattack you with - not for lack of trying, but because of the alarmingly effective teamwork between you and Val and your much lighter and faster ship.

You hear the Skyseer before you actually see it, a symphony of explosions ringing out and sending a salvo of whistling cannonballs flying towards the black pirates. Their mast is obscured in a sudden cloud of splinters and debris as a direct hit on their sails instantly cripples their ability to get away, followed immediately by a second set bursting through the side of their ship - you can't see exactly where it hit, but you'll get confirmation soon enough.

Gigas finally takes another shot, mysteriously replicating his previous efforts by spearing another cannon - one of the Basilisks on the deck, in fact - and rendering it out of commission.

"Portside weapons are completely down, and our prey is dead in the water. Now watch, and listen - this is where they get desperate. I shall handle this." Jaghatai's voice rings out from your communistone, and you sigh in relief as you step back from the controls to hand them fully back over to Val for now.

"Take us to port side then, Mr. Lasombra. It should be safe there." You say, clapping him on the shoulder. "We make an excellent team at the helm, I must say."

"Indeed we do. It bodes well." Val replies.

+1 Sailing for Ramza and Val!

You see several of the lesser sails being retracted, a white flag being hoisted up soon after on the pirate ship. A wide-range message pulses out from it soon after, the familiar voice of the man that taunted you before now sounding much less sure and far more stressed. "We surrender to you! You are clearly a superior force, and we have no wish to die. I ask for mercy for myself and my crew. We did not know that we were dealing with Gaoth when we attacked your friend, and we would never do anything to insult the Gaoth, I assure you."
>>
"I had hoped that you would put up at least a bit of a fight once the Skyseer got involved. How...disappointing." Jaghatai's voice responds, sighing out. "Captain Lore, this is Captain Jaghatai of Gaoth. Prepare for boarding. Talks of peace must be done face to face. Should you or any of your men bear any arms on their persons when we step foot upon your ship, they will be executed without hesitation. I hope you understand."

"I understand completely." The Raven's voice says, a quiver to his voice. You think you detect a hint of anger in it, alongside the fear and panic. It must be a sharp hit to his pride to be outsmarted so easily.

The skyseer drifts ever closer to the other ship, eventually swinging a trio of massive hooks down that bite deeply into the wooden deck. A sturdy-looking roll of chain flooring unwinds itself down the length of the poles said hooks were attached to, forming a quick and difficult to break boarding ramp for the Gaoth. The same soldiers that greeted you before begin marching down the ramp, with Jaghatai himself slowly and deliberately walking down last to look as intimidating as possible. You note that he keeps one hand rested on the hilt of his blade, his guard clearly up.

Val brings you in on the opposite end of the ship, and Gigas is quick to deploy your much-more-disappointing wooden ramp to help you all board easily. You and Gigas step down, with you giving Val a nod as you depart so that he knows to stay aboard the Gleamrunner and protect it - just in case. You push past the cowed members of the Raven's crew, approaching Jaghatai and offering a hand out to him.

"I'd like to thank you for your help. With the difference in firepower, I wasn't sure that we'd have been able to take out Lore by ourselves." You say, as he takes a FIRM grip on your hand. You do your best not to let the pain from your bones being crushed show.

"Think nothing of it, my friend. It was our duty - we should be the ones thanking you for your role in aiding us. You served as a fine distraction. I've not seen a ship maneuvering so swiftly in quite a while. It was like watching a dragonfly pursue its prey, moving however it pleases throughout the sky...mesmerizing." Jaghatai replies, before casting his gaze across the defeated crewmen. "It's sickening, isn't it? To think that dogs like this wear the flesh of man. They don't even have the dignity to die with honor, fighting to the last."

"They were quite overwhelmed." You say with a shrug. "Outmatched on all fronts, and crippled before they knew any better. What we did to them hardly feels sporting, really."

"Indeed. What is that saying? Like shooting fish in a barrel, indeed..." Jaghatai says, growing quiet for a few moments, before speaking up once more with a shout. "Captain Lore! Please present yourself."
>>
A man walks into view, breaking through the crowd of captured men. He's about six feet tall, and has an eyepatch covering one eye, but otherwise looks completely unremarkable as far as you're concerned. Jaghatai sighs, and in one fluid motion he's drawn his sword and decapitated the man that stepped forward. The severed head looks on in shock as it and the body swiftly start to dissolve into mana, and the crowd gasps in surprise and outrage.

"You had your chance, Captain, to resolve this with dignity! I am not a man to play games. You have insulted me by sending another to take your place." Jaghatai yells, before raising his free hand up and holding two gauntleted fingers out. "Purge the ship."

The soldiers all around you immediately jump into action, spears and blades of all sorts striking out indiscriminately at members of the crowd. Some panic, some try to fight back, and some try to flee deeper into the ship - but it's clear that the soldiers are experienced in this, as their prey all find their routes cut off, and with all of their weapons off their persons they fare exceptionally poorly against the well-armed-and-armored Gaoth.

It's a gruesome, barbaric, and stomach-wrenching sight to see a crew of at least fifty men being slaughtered down to the last. You hear sobbing, you hear pleading, you hear swearing, you hear it and bear witness to all of it. It makes you want to retch, because while you've participated in your fair share of killings and raids on enemy pirates, you've never born witness to brutality of this level. It was disturbingly efficient, like farmers slaughtering their livestock. Just another day's work to the soldiers doing it.

In less than ten minutes, the ship is empty of inhabitants other than your own crew and the Skyseer's. Empty clothes litter the ground, and the stench of blood is starting to slowly dissipate as a steady stream of blue droplets drift up towards the core. Despite the somber mood it puts you in, Jaghatai seems happier than ever, spreading his arms wide and to the sky.

"Wonderful, is it not? To see the will of Gaoth enforced so tangibly...to prune the weak of mind, spirit, and body from our world. We are blessed to carry on his legacy." The raidship captain exclaims, conviction oozing with every word.

"How did you know it wasn't the real one?" Gigas asks, looking less disturbed than you feel, but still a little uneasy.

"Ah, it was simple. He had gunpowder residue on his clothes in a pattern that only a cannoneer would have. And even if it were the real one...we would have purged this ship regardless. Letting them think that peace was an option was the easiest way to get them to...deliver themselves, so to speak, to our judgement."
>>
File: waxf-rupert-dandridge.jpg (136 KB, 1000x1400)
136 KB
136 KB JPG
"Isn't that a little dishonorable?" Gigas seems confused. Your eye twitches at the sensitive question.

"Of course not. They proved their weakness over and over, and they were parasites by nature. Honor is only fit for men, not vermin." Jaghatai shakes his head. "You have much to learn, it seems."

"So it seems. Are you sure you got him though? What's he look like, anyways?" Gigas scrunches his brows up as he tries to imagine what Lore could have looked like.

"Let me see." You say, pulling out your bounty book and flipping through the pages. Eventually, you come across an image of a scruffy-haired man with a scar across his face and an overall devious seeming demeanor. You flip the book around to show it to everyone. "This guy. I think I saw him hanging out in the middle of the left flanks."

"I can confirm the kill, sir!" One soldier says, saluting his captain. "He had hidden weapons still on his person, so squad three focused efforts in the initial assault. No injuries sustained."

"Well done. Squad three gets extra rations for the month, on me." Jaghatai chuckles, clapping his metal-clad hands together. "Well! That's a rat's den cleared out, what do you say we celebrate? Unless you have pressing matters to attend to, of course. Ah, and there's also the matter of contribution rewards to discuss..."

>Decline his invitation to celebrate. You don't feel much in the mood for it after witnessing a slaughter.
>Accept the invitation, in hopes that it'll lift your mood. You could use a bit of cheer after that.

And...

>Stake a claim on Lore's ship. It's a proper midweight, and your engineers can probably fix it up enough to bring it home.
>Stake a claim on the Eldingarian's crashed ship nearby. You're sure they would appreciate having their vessel and belongings back on hand, even if it's not all that combat capable.
>Negotiate for something else... (What? Weapons, crew, loot but not ships?)

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.