[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/qst/ - Quests

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
Draw Size ×
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • Roll dice with "dice+numberdfaces" in the options field (without quotes).

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Dimness.jpg (191 KB, 671x900)
191 KB
191 KB JPG
In his persistence, your father has shackled you to his tradition against your will. Born into the world of the forge, your apprenticeship in the family blacksmithy began before you could even walk. The burden of inheritance didn't weigh heavily on you until your father went away to war when you were a young child. For six long winters, he was gone to fight in distant lands, leaving no respite in your mind to whatever fate befell him in his absence. Your mother, while a blacksmith herself, was the child of a Skald. Perhaps to ease both your mind and hers, she sang tales of cunning heroes slaying beasts of yore. In the absence of the smithy, dreams of adventure filled your mind. Perhaps you, too, could be a hero that Skalds sang of.

When your father returned, he was a changed man. There was no shortage of battle scars earned over the years. A missing eye, a freshly amputated leg, and no doubt many others hidden from the eye were present. But in his eye, there was a unique dimness. Perhaps in his journey, he had constant thoughts of his legacy. You. His return brought a reinvigorated burden into your life. Although you honed your skills in his absence, they always lacked in your father's presence. Your dreams were for naught. All that mattered now was the legacy you alone would inherit. And you had better do your damnedest to be worthy of one like yours.
>>
It has been a month since your coming-of-age ceremony, a day you had always imagined to be joyous. But the strain in your mind has reached its breaking point. You have had enough. Tonight, you will leave. The only question that remains is how you will execute your escape.

Will you:
>Attempt to leave diplomatically. Later at dinner tonight, you could convince your mother and father to help allow you to leave peacefully. An ally in this affair could win him over or, at the very least, begrudgingly subdue him.
>Confront your father alone. There's no point beating around the bush. You will leave with his blessing, or he will watch you leave. Whether he likes it or not.
>Wait until late at night to steal your father's old soldier's equipment. Reason cannot be forced to work with an unreasonable man. It's best to cut your losses before he can stop you.

Welcome to The Silver Contract. This is a one-shot and my attempt to ease back into writing a little bit. You are Radufor, the son of a blacksmith in the village of Laiftohl.
>>
>>6022654

>Confront your father alone. There's no point beating around the bush. You will leave with his blessing, or he will watch you leave. Whether he likes it or not.
>>
>>6022654
>>Confront your father alone. There's no point beating around the bush. You will leave with his blessing, or he will watch you leave. Whether he likes it or not.
>>
>>6022655
>>6022658
Calling vote now.

You believe it's best to confront your father head-on. Cowardice in the face of your first obstacle would be unbecoming of your ambitions.
>>
Watching with interest OP
>>
>>6022654
For all this time, a restlessness has simmered beneath the surface of your placid life, a yearning to see the world beyond the confines of the forge. But now, this situation demands more than just dreams. It calls for action. You've decided to confront your father, to lay bare your intentions.

You wait until mid-afternoon when your mother typically goes to the town market to sell freshly made tools, to enter the forge. The overwhelming scent of soot and coal fills the air, and the glow of the forge illuminates the menagerie of tools surrounding it. Your father is in the center of it all, hammering away at a small molten metal rod.

"Finally gracing your old man with your presence, are you?" he grunts, not even turning to acknowledge you. "You've been lazy this past week, Radufor, barely even working a quarter day. Do you really think now that you're a man, you can ignore the tasks I give you?" Typical of him. Laying onto you for not spending every waking second in the smithy like him.

"Father, I'm not here to work in the forge," you say, your voice steady but with a hint of nervousness. "I doubt my work here would be of much help to you, anyhow. I'm here to talk to you about my future."

"Oh, how astute of you to say, boy. You've still got much to improve, but you become complacent instead. Perhaps if you joined me in the forge more often, you wouldn't be so unsure of your future."

"I no longer wish to be a part of the forge, father. I want to go see the world beyond the small village! I want to be my own free man."

Your father's hammer hits the rod a final time. "There is no good to be found beyond our land, boy." he turns around, his eye staring deep into you with simmering anger. "You would dare to so casually throw your life away, no less in front of me? Show your respect and speak no more of this. You will make sure to assist me at all times from now on, do you hear me?"

There's no backing down now. You've already made your claim and gotten what you'd expected, but the battle's not over. Enflaming him further would lead to severe consequences, but you cannot win without doing so.

Will you:
>Speak rationally concerning your goals. This is your chance to convince him to, at the very least, begrudgingly accept that you have no intention of staying.
>Goad him on further. This is your chance to show him the full extent of your goals and your lack of reservations about staying. Maybe in a bout of irrationality, you could force your way into independence.
>Write-in
>>
>>6022703

>Speak rationally concerning your goals. This is your chance to convince him to, at the very least, begrudgingly accept that you have no intention of staying.

“I only ask for the same freedom that you exercised yourself, Father…”
>>
>>6022703
>>Speak rationally concerning your goals. This is your chance to convince him to, at the very least, begrudgingly accept that you have no intention of staying.
>>
>>6022718
>>6022740

I'm gonna call the vote now, sorry for the wait.

Your father had the freedom to choose to see the world and be a blacksmith, but now he's limiting your own independence. He needs to see that his abstinence only limits your ability to truly become a worthy son.
>>
>>6022703
"I only ask for the same freedom that you exercised yourself, Father…" you reasoned, your voice tinged with a hint of longing, "Would it be so horrible for me to come into my own beyond your watch?"

He scoffed back at you, his voice heavy with regret. "Do you really believe I wanted to leave my smithy, boy? It wasn't some sense of wanderlust that drove me to abandon my family. My duty was to protect you and your mother from the brutish *Uffritr*. And look at the price I paid." Your father's eyes grew dimmer as he gestured to his left leg. Only a glimpse of metal and leather could be seen below the cuff of his trousers.

"It's not the *Uffritrorun*, father. Armies no longer roam the countryside, and brigands no longer plague *Ulrit*. The land is safe. If you worry for my life, rest assured that the threats to it are long past."

"Why couldn't you have been a loyal son? Was my absence really that damning to your growth?" He sighed deeply. "The forge is consistent. You know nothing of the great danger beyond our land. Your lot should be to stay and finish your apprenticeship in our family's trade, as much as it clearly pains you."

"Don't blame yourself, father. I have aspirations unlike yours; it's just how I am," you respond. "I just don't want yours to smother mine. My will to leave is not out of disloyalty or lack of respect for you but my will to express my desires." You take a deep breath in. This is it. "Please, Father, allow me to leave your ward without harshness."

You see your father furrow his brow for the first time since you can remember. No words leave his mouth, but you can sense the conflict he's going through. Your words struck him deeply. Could you succeed if you push a little further?

Will you:
>Offer to return to the forge once done to satisfy his goal of continuing the family tradition.
>Ask for a weapon and possibly some armor to protect yourself and satisfy his worry about your safety on the road.
>Stay silent. Further words may ruin the progress you've made so far.

I'll be gone until about 3:30 PM EST. I'll pick it back up then.
>>
>>6022763
>Ask for a weapon and possibly some armor to protect yourself and satisfy his worry about your safety on the road.

If he cares about our life he should arm us well
>>
>>6022763
>>
>>6022763

Maybe we could sweeten the pot by sending him an apprentice to work in our stead?
>>
>>6022763
>>Ask for a weapon and possibly some armor to protect yourself and satisfy his worry about your safety on the road.
Get him an apprentice to help. Surely there are orphans whose fathers never came back
>>
>>6022763
>>Offer to return to the forge once done to satisfy his goal of continuing the family tradition.

A little running around time is all we ask for.
>>
>>6022770
>>6022771
>>6022784
>>6022830
>>6022841

Calling the vote. I'll start writing.

If you're really going to leave, you might as well ask for a weapon and some armor to protect yourself with. All the more to keep yourself safe. Your father doesn't need his old set from when he was a soldier, right?
>>
"If it may please you, too, I could use a weapon and armor to protect myself from any perils, too, father." You continue, seeing your chance to get all the necessary tools for your journey. "I know it's much to ask of, but I must keep myself safe somehow."

For what seems like an eternity, he stares at you, brow still furrowed. Finally, he speaks. "Son. You already know my view on you leaving. Your place is here with me and your mother." With a slight sigh, he continues. "But I can now see your persistence in whatever short-sighted goals you have. I can't stop you from doing this, no matter how much it pains me."

You can't help but express a slight smile. The tension in the room eases slightly as you sense a glimmer of understanding in your father's eyes. It's not often that he shows any sign of compromise. Still, at the very least, this concession gives you hope that he'll fully accept your decision someday.

"I will provide you my old set of mail to protect yourself," he says, his tone softening. "As for weapons, I cannot choose for you, but be sure to take my seax with you. It has proven vital in the past for me, as I hope it will do to you also."

You solemnly nod in acceptance. With your father's resigned acceptance, you've finally gotten your golden opportunity to do as you will. "Thank you, father." you smile, turning away to collect the tools for the journey ahead. You have much to prepare.

Your father raises his hand towards you just as you are about to leave. "Wait, Radufor. One last thing." You turn back to see what he has to say. "I know you don't have much martial experience. I wouldn't expect you to know anything really. It would be best if you went to your uncle Barakavr to learn a few things, as unconventional as it may seem." You silently nod again. "Now go, I have much to work on here."

Your father returns the cooling metal rod to the forge to heat it up again, with his back to you now. You set forth to the storage room to get your equipment. The veteran armor would suffice for now, but as for your choice of weapon, you ponder for a while.

You've always felt drawn towards:
>The Sword.
>The Axe.
>The Spear.

I'll be back in a couple hours to tally the vote.
>>
>>6023025
>The Axe.
>>
>>6023025

>The Spear.

I’m happy with any, but the spear is a good choice for an untrained peasant like us.
>>
>>6023025
>The Axe
Bearded perhaps?
>>
>>6023025
>The Axe.
>>
>>6023094
>>6023127
>>6023147
>>6023153

Calling the vote.

You've always found yourself most closely drawn to the axe.
>>
>>6023025

Years of perpetually chopping wood for the forge make the axe most familiar to you compared to more warrior-like weapons. You felt that, at the very least, something similar in size and heft to a wood axe would be suitable for whatever lies ahead. Going inside the storage room, you turn to the left and face a dusty, unused chest. You kneel down and knock away the cobwebs covering the top. Taking a short breath, you unlatch the lid and prepare to reveal the contents.

As the lid creaks open, a musty smell fills your nostrils, and you see a glint of metal reflecting the dim light. Your heart quickens when you see a well-worn helmet atop a neatly folded mail shirt and padded tunic. To the right of that, you see a round, white-colored shield and, much to your delight, a bearded axe and seax. Exulted, you grab the tools and prepare for the journey ahead.

At first, your father seemed like an impossible challenge that blocked your path to your true desires. But your measured choice of words and, perhaps most importantly, your boldness to face him head-on proved to be to your benefit. As it proved a boon here, it would be a boon in the future. After all, you can't always back down from other future challenges. Nonetheless, you appreciate the power words can carry. You can genuinely say you alone convinced your father to let you go.

Tonight would be a night of deliberation. It's time you got your bearing before going further beyond Laiftohl. Your father was right. You didn't have a lick of combat sense, and he would not train you. Maybe visiting your Uncle Barakavr's Cabin tomorrow would be best to see if he could help you. He also fought in the war, but you haven't seen him in quite a while. He could've spiraled again in the time you've been apart. Or you could go out in town to find a "quest." There have been some rumors that the elders have been looking for someone to investigate a problem they've been having. However, given your lack of credibility, there's no telling if you'll be rejected outright in favor of someone more valuable.

You will go to:
>Uncle Barakavr's cabin outside of town. He undoubtedly has combat knowledge; perhaps you could convince him to help you now. That is if he hasn't let himself go again.
>The town. You've heard rumors of a quest that the elders are offering to prospective adventurers like yourself. Perhaps you could convince them to hire you despite your lack of experience.
>>
>Uncle's Training Montage
Then we can do a starting qst after.
So we have a helm, mail, shield, bearded axe, & a short seax? Fucking oath, we're set up for success already. Just need to get a horse & something ranged, like a spear/gar/javelin, darts, or a bow.
>>
>>6023411
>Uncle Barakavr's cabin outside of town. He undoubtedly has combat knowledge; perhaps you could convince him to help you now. That is if he hasn't let himself go again.

>>6023437
Don't ignore the sling
>>
>>6023411
>>The town. You've heard rumors of a quest that the elders are offering to prospective adventurers like yourself. Perhaps you could convince them to hire you despite your lack of experience.
>>
>>6023411
>>
>>6023411
>>
>>6023437
>>6023490
>>6023491
>>6023501
>>6023509

Calling the vote. I'll get to writing.

Finding Uncle Barakavr is the next logical step in your journey, you reason. Who better - that you know of - to train you?
>>
File: The Shack.jpg (476 KB, 1920x2630)
476 KB
476 KB JPG
>>6023411
-----

You paid your goodbyes to your family and set forth on the road to your Uncle's house. Clad in your newly acquired mail and helm, your weapons and shield secured to your body with an old belt, you set out on the road. The trek to your Uncle's house wouldn't be too arduous - only 5 miles out of town - but you were still getting accustomed to wearing this armor for long periods.

You can remember the first time you came to your Uncle's cottage. It was with your mother when you were young, just after your father departed for the war. Your Uncle was preparing to go as well, and your mother was there to bid him farewell. Or perhaps she was trying to convince him to stay. It's hard to recall the exact details. Your Uncle had agreed to some sort of contract with a group of soldier-of-fortune. He was due to report somewhere to the southwest, deep in the Pentarchy. He seemed genuinely enthusiastic back then.

You stopped by a couple of times on your own when he returned, mainly to deliver some tools to him since he couldn't retrieve them himself. He had taken up the art of hunting, but realistically, he spent half of his time drunk off his mind. Whatever it was, he seemed scarcely content with the situation he was in. It was probably normal for him to be bored after the war with an everyday life, you suppose.

You spent most of your trip thinking. It was a peaceful journey, and as you neared your destination, you couldn't help but feel a sense of anticipation. As you approached, the familiar wooden cabin entered your sight. Knocking on the door, you hear a muffled groan from inside.

"Who the fuck is it?" You faintly hear from inside the cabin, along with the clatter of objects... falling? "It's too early for this shit." The door swings open, revealing a tall, unkempt man with deep-set hazel eyes.

"Oh, Radu!" He says, "I haven't ordered any new tools for a while. What brings you here, no less in full battle dress? Come to finally make me pay up, have you? I thought I got the family discount. Free!"

"Uncle," you say, cutting straight to the point, "I want you to train me as a warrior."

He chuckles slightly. "Has that smithy finally driven you mad? I should have you know that I don't offer those kinds of services for free. I know you're family and all, but if there isn't somehow the likes of a keg of beer behind you, I don't see why I should." Your Uncle leans on the door frame with a smirk.

Shit. You weren't expecting complete success coming here, but still, you weren't expecting him to reject you that quickly. Perhaps he could use some convincing. You think you're getting good at that, at least.

Will you:
>Promise to get him some alcohol later if he helps you get off your feet. A debt to him wouldn't be so bad, right?
>Convince him to join you on your next contract and split the pay. Maybe you could appeal to his sense of adventure.
>Write-in.
>>
>>6023769

>Convince him to join you on your next contract and split the pay. Maybe you could appeal to his sense of adventure.

Well, not to put too fine a point on it, but perhaps Uncle might find what he’s looking for in an adventure rather than in the bottom of a beer keg…
>>
>>6023769
>>Write-in
>Thought the Family Discount went both ways or do you think that arrowheads and traps are grown right next to the barley, dear uncle?

Does that bastard think we are made Out of Money?
Give me my Training arc
>>
>>6023769
>>Promise to get him some alcohol later if he helps you get off your feet. A debt to him wouldn't be so bad, right?

Its not like he has anything better to do. Come on.
>>
>>6023790
+1, good thinking
>>
>>6023769
>>
Didn't expect to come back to a tie. While we wait for a tie-breaker, I can offer a little exposition as to where this qst takes place.

You were born in the Orrukdom of Ulrit, a small nation in the northern end of Álfyra and the venerated site of The Second Landing. It's characterized by a forested and hilly landscape at the base of the Vóriyr Mountains, often blanketed by mist. The region is sparsely populated, hosting only two major cities - Aravok and Fohinn - and mining settlements dotted throughout the land.
>>
>>6023901
The people of Ulrit live in a largely decentralized society. While there is an Orruk for religious purposes, authority is primarily passed along to councils among villages or city districts. Save for a few exceptional circumstances, like the Invasion of the Pentarchy by the Uffritr, they usually prefer to stay in Ulrit. They are fiercely protective of their land, often forming citizen militias when a threat appears. The religion of the region is primarily veneration of The Old Man of the Sea, the original father who brought their people to Álfyra from across the sea, and The Dreamer, in whose domain they inhabit. Most worship the dreamer given her communion with the Orruk. Many believe that The Dreamer can contact people through their dreams, giving them visions of their future. Those who believe the dreamer has given them visions often go to local wisemen for interpretations. Very few, often woodsmen and hunters, believe that The Dreamer has a corporeal form that roams the night.
>>
>>6023769
>>Promise to get him some alcohol later if he helps you get off your feet. A debt to him wouldn't be so bad, right?
>>
Interesting low fantasy vibes. Looks like a 3-way tie so I would advise you to write which option you would prefer QM. An Orruk is an oracle?
>>
Very cool. Looking to see where this goes.
>>
>>6023769
>>
>>6023773
>>6023790
>>6023810
>>6023825
>>6023863
>>6023982
>>6024079

Apologies for the wait. I'll get to writing.

Looks like you'll be appealing to his sense of adventure.

>>6024034

I'll keep that in mind next time a tie comes up. I may combine options in such cases if an opportunity comes up too. As for an Orruk, they are not oracles per se. Nominally, it's the equivalent of the title of King. More southern nations, like Afsthan of the Pentarchy have an Orruk, but they do not possess the same religious context as the one in Ulrit.
>>
>>6023769

"Well, Uncle, I can think of something that might be more appealing than a keg of beer." You begin, forming a smirk of your own. "Wouldn't it be nice to use a blade of yours to earn some coin with your beloved nephew?"

"Don't overestimate yourself, Radu." He retorts, "I've more cherished items in my care greater in worth than a measly 'share of the profits'." He leans in slightly toward you with a gleam in his eyes. "My services are quite expensive, nephew. To hire me as you desire, I would need no less than three-fourths of the earnings. After all, you can't buy experience this good around these parts." Your Uncle flexes his bicep, revealing toned musculature, even through his loose tunic.

Was your Uncle really going to be exhaustingly stingy toward you over a simple request? Well, it's clear now that he became a mercenary for one reason above all. "Dreams be damned, Uncle!" you exclaim in frustration. "Can't you at least pretend to have some mercy towards your own kin?"

"Oh, and given your sheer inexperience, I'll be deducting another three-fourths of your pay!" he continues, "As a training fee, of course. Do these terms seem suitable, Radu?"

You grumble. It's not like you had any money to begin with, but you still felt swindled just by his remarks. Well, then again, you don't really need gold and glory just yet. That will come in due time. It's a shame that Uncle Barakavr truly has no regard for the family discount in any way, shape, or form. "It's... acceptable, Uncle. For now." You reluctantly hold out your hand for a shake.

He grabs it enthusiastically in return. "Pleasure hammering out this business with you, Radu." He beams. "We'll start post haste! I've been looking to get paid, anyhow. Just give me a moment to get kitted out."

For a short while, you wait, silently going over the unfavorable arithmetic you sealed yourself into. It was past midday; about a half-hour had passed since your Uncle went in to adorn himself with his own equipment. Finally, though, you hear the door to his cabin open, revealing a man in much more resplendent armor than yours. Not only did his mail shirt and the padded tunic underneath seem much higher quality than your antique, but his spectacled helmet was complete with a decorative bronze lining and engraved runes. A finely crafted belt carried a pristine shield and sword. The hilt of the sword looked to be lined with bronze and engraved as well, and its pommel looked to be gold.

"Glad you could wait for me, Radu! Now let's jump right into that first contract of yours!" he exclaims.

"Uncle, not to be a bore, but I think you may be moving a bit too fast. Can't you teach me something first before we do anything else?"

"Nonsense, I'll teach you on the way. Just be sure find something soon, otherwise, I may have to take matters into my own hands."

Shit. You're losing control of your adventure by the minute.

Will you:
>Find a contract of your own. Quick.
>Let your Uncle take the reins.
>>
>>6024172
>Find a Qst in town
>>
>>6024172
hopefully the training we get from our uncle is worth the cost
>>
>>6024172
>>Let your Uncle take the reins.

Man,this guy can bargain and we'll get paid better with him in charge anyways.
>>
>>6024172
>>Let your Uncle take the reins.
>>
>>6024172
>>
>>6024183
>>6024185
>>6024202
>>6024409
>>6024413

Calling vote. I'll get to writing.

You don't feel particularly inclined to let your Uncle take over this operation. Looks like you'll be finding a quest on your own.
>>
>>6024172

"I'll be fine finding a job on my own, Uncle," You quip with a hint of determination. "In fact, I happen to know an opportunity out in town that may be of interest to both of us."

"Oh, did the elders finally get off their asses and put out a job posting?" Your Uncle frowns. "I wouldn't trust them to pay us fairly for one second. Just remember, Radu, it's my pay - and your training - on the line here."

As the conversation drew to a close, your Uncle suddenly hurried into his cabin. Moments later, he emerged carrying two double sacks, which he placed carefully on the ground. "We'll each be carrying one of these as we go there." he explained, "Just make sure to be careful when carrying yours." He gestured towards the sack on his left, which seemed noticeably larger and bulkier than the other. You struggle to pick it up and place it on your shoulder. Whatever was inside kept sloshing around.

"First Lesson, my nephew!" he explained. "A warrior is fit enough to carry his supplies for long distances when needed. Don't worry, though! I gave you a light load this time."

With that, you both set forth toward Laiftohl. You think to yourself that it could've been better to go there on your own and convince the elders somehow. At the very least, though, you have a formidable ally at your back to assist in whatever challenges lay ahead and will train you to boot, which was reassuring. You turn back to look at your Uncle, who appears to be in the middle of guzzling down a pot of beer. Well, you hope that he'll be formidable when a battle comes.

The five-mile trek goes by much quicker than you anticipate despite the encumbering load on your shoulder. By mid-afternoon, you're already back in Laiftohl, now resembling a duo of enterprising hirelings, ready to partake in whatever jobs the town had in store. You both walk ahead to the town hall, where you last heard that the elders had a job in store for people like you. Stopping at the front entrance, you turn to your Uncle. He seemed to have pulled out a second jar of beer to down. "Well, this is it, Uncle. Please don't try and swindle them too much."

Entering the town hall, you witness six elderly men and women in an increasingly heated discussion. You really didn't care. There was coin to be made.

"Excuse me!" you yell, "I'm here about that job you posted!" The six elders stop their discussion and look directly at you and your Uncle.

"Oh, finally. Someone answers our dreams." One of them, an elderly man, responds. "It's not like we could've just called on the local militia and fixed these problems months ago. But at least we have our saviors now."

"Oh, shut it, Vanulf." Another elder, an old woman this time, snaps. We can't constantly call up the citizens for issues like this." She turns to you. "We thank you for coming to help us, warriors. We have many issues that plague us, and we would pay good coin to have them disappear."

cont.
>>
>>6024624
You grin. Perfect. You had options. "Elder, may I ask as to what these problems are?"

"Oh, there's too many to list," she sighs, "but there are a couple that may be of interest to you." She ponders for a moment. "Let's see, we have that Offritr clan that recently moved to the region... A nearby sister village of ours hasn't contacted us in quite some time... and oh yes, we have those bandits stopping our carts from reaching Fohinn. Do any of these sounds of interest to you?"

Your Uncle leans in and whispers to you. "Just pick one and go, Radu. I don't have the patience to listen to a saga about some brigands when there's coin to be made."

You deliberate for a moment.

Will you:
>Have the Elders explain all 3 of the problems they have. Your Uncle may need to find some patience if you're going to make the best decision here. But then again, what if you get caught up in one of the Elders' discussions?
>In the service of time, ask only about the Uffritr Clan. You haven't heard anything new about them coming to the region since their defeat in the Pentarchy.
>In the service of time, ask only about the village. You have noticed a lesser amount of iron and silver coming into Laiftohl for the past few months.
>In the service of time, ask only about the bandits. Travel to and from Fohinn has indeed been slow lately. And did your Uncle's ears perk up when he heard them say bandits?

Just to let y'all know ahead of time, I'll be less focused on updates because of work. But I'll try to get at least one a day and increase the length of each post as well. Again sorry about the long interims between posts.
>>
>>6024627

>In the service of time, ask only about the bandits. Travel to and from Fohinn has indeed been slow lately. And did your Uncle's ears perk up when he heard them say bandits?

Easy pickins lads
>>
>>6024627
>Sister Village Mystery (Box)
>>
>>6024627
>>In the service of time, ask only about the bandits. Travel to and from Fohinn has indeed been slow lately. And did your Uncle's ears perk up when he heard them say bandits?
>>
>>6024627
>Have the Elders explain all 3 of the problems they have. Your Uncle may need to find some patience if you're going to make the best decision here. But then again, what if you get caught up in one of the Elders' discussions?
>>
>>6024634
>>6024652
>>6024668
>>6024972

Calling vote. Writing.

The bandits piqued your interest the most. Sounds like easy pickings for your first job.
>>
>>6024627

"Could you please elaborate on the bandits, Elder?" You respond. Bandits seem to be a much more straightforward problem than some missing village and a band of Uffritr. You seriously doubt their ability to stand up to you with your Uncle in tow, anyhow.

The old woman goes to speak before being interrupted by another Elderly man. " Those vagabonds are blocking my son's caravan from reaching Fohinn through the southern road! It was only last week that he set out on his regular trip there that some of those thugs came out of the woods to steal his food and coins!"

The Elderly woman who was interrupted continued from before. "We'll offer you 500 Hrosten to bring us safety on the road. You see, these men claim to be the famous band of --"

Your Uncle shouts, "Thank you, Elders, we have everything we need to execute justice!" before grabbing you by the arm outside of the town hall, preventing you from hearing any more explanation as to who these robbers are.

"What was that for, Uncle?" you exclaim. Had he no regard for the details of who you'd be facing?

"We'll be heading down the southern road, Radu. I am very well aware of these bandits," he grumbles. I'll let you know more once we've made a half-day journey there."

Well, at the very least, you had some opportunity to learn what you're up against after being so rudely taken away from the previous one. You and your Uncle pick up your sacks - yours evidently lighter than before - and move south.
>>
>>6025206

-----

Your trek to the bandits had taken up most of the rest of the day. The sun was well below the horizon by now. You and your Uncle stopped to set a camp for the night. Maybe now you could get a little explanation as to why your Uncle was so quick to get on the road.

The two of you sit across from each other around a small fire, leaning on the sacks you've carried all day. "So, Radu." he begins, "I assume you're wondering who these Bandits are."

You nod.

"Put simply, I know their boss. He was... an old buddy of mine. Jurafor the Bull, he was called. I knew he also came from Ulrit, but I never really planned on reencountering him here when both our contracts were severed at the end of the war. Unfortunately, I quickly found that he made a name for himself as an outlaw when I ran into a few of his lackeys on a hunting trip a couple winters ago."

"That's interesting, Uncle, but did you really have to leave the Elder council so quickly to get here?" you ask. "It would've been nice to know some of this beforehand."

"Didn't you hear what they were saying, nephew? Some of them clearly wanted to call everyone up to fight these bandits. That would be a whole lot of good lives wasted over nothing. No. I have a better plan for the benefit of both of us."

You lean in closer to your Uncle. "And what would that be?"

"I want you to challenge him to combat and force him to leave this land - and some gold, too, if we can help it. Don't worry though, I'll be sure to stack the odds in your favor before the bout."

Your eyes go wide for a second. You had no fighting experience yet so far, and your Uncle expected you to be able to beat a veteran of his caliber? What kind of trick would he pull to even the odds, if that's even possible?

"Don't think about it too hard, nephew. Just enjoy the night. Relax. Talk a little bit. There's no doubt that you'll need some bearings for tomorrow."

You guess your Uncle was a proponent of trial-by-fire training. Of course, on the road from time to time, he liked to talk about martial theory, but it really didn't constitute much, considering you've never so much as had a real fight, practice or not. But he was right. This wasn't the time for stressing. Perhaps you could ask him about something while you both wind down for the night?

Will you:
>Ask your Uncle about his time as a Mercenary.
>Ask him more about this companion of his, Jurafor the Bull.
>Ask him about anything that comes to your mind. (write-in).
>>
>>6025209
>>
>>6025209
>>
>>6025209
>Ask your Uncle about his time as a Mercenary.

Well if we succeed our career will be off to a good start
>>
>>6025209
>Jurafor Lore
Hope he comes through on this one
>>
>>6025306
>>6025391
>>6025395
>>6025522

Calling the vote. I'll get to writing.

Jurafor will be your opponent tomorrow. It might be best to ask about him before you fall asleep.
>>
>>6025209

Jurafor will apparently be your opponent tomorrow. This was probably your best chance to learn something about him.

"Uncle, since my foe tomorrow will be this Jurafor," you start. "Wouldn't it be right for me to at least learn something about him? Maybe his tactics, or even his weapons could help."

Your Uncle lets out a little chuckle. "It's good that you want to know more about your opponent before the battle, Nephew. That's one of the keys to becoming a good warrior. I suppose I can tell you about Jurafor."

"You see," your Uncle begins, "Jurafor is one of those men who never really mentally left his glory days in our band. It's been 8 winters since the end of the war, and he hasn't moved on from being some great warrior duelist. And that's where you come in, Radu. I'll be honest, I've never really liked him. He always got his allies wounded when he fought. Like a raving madman, he was. I'll never forgive him for what he did to Eolasc..." He stirs the firepit between you. You could see the fire reflect in his eyes. "He fights with a Longaxe. And he's very aggressive with it, too. But he's sloppy with it. He always focuses on the attack and never his safety - or that of anyone beside him. A sidestep may be all that is needed to exploit his weaknesses."

"His mail should be of the same quality as mine, but given he's been using it constantly out in the woods for this long, it might be more on par with yours. I want you to challenge him to a fight, nephew. He can't resist a duel, and there you'll should be able to shut down his delusions for the time being."

As his explanation slows down, the both of you drift off to sleep into the night.
>>
>>6025621

In the early morning, you and your Uncle wake up and get prepared quickly. The bandits weren't aware of your presence yet, but soon enough, they would know. The two of you pick up your sacks and set off further down the road as it bends east, your Uncle going over some more martial theory as you walk.

As you approach your final destination, your Uncle stops you about a mile out from where he told you where their camp was. "Wait here until midday, Radu. I'll be going on ahead to get him 'prepared' for your duel." You do as he says. There's no reason to question your Uncle here. Hopefully, though, whatever he does will be enough to let you win.

When the sun finally reached its apex, you started heading toward the direction your Uncle told you to go. After a short walk, you finally reached a fragmented palisade with some tents in the center. You can't see anybody out and about, though. There's no time to wait. With all the might you could muster, you yell out into the camp.

"Jurafor! You've been plaguing these lands for too long! Come out and face me like a man!"

For a few short moments, nothing happens. All at once, a group of twenty-something men rush out of a tent, your Uncle in tow. A large, half-naked, burly man unsteadily walks out to the front of this group, holding a long axe in his hands. His nose looks quite red.

"Who the fuck is this, Barakavr? Do you know him?" you hear him ask. "...Fuck it. You'll regret challenging the mighty Jurafor!"

With that, he raises the axe above him, and the men from behind cheer. He lazily looks you up and down. "You're barely a child, and you expect to best me? Bah! I could beat you as I am now." He spits on the ground before continuing. "Prepare to lose, little man."

You definitely understand why your Uncle called him the Bull. He wasn't one to beat around the bush, and it looked like he was about ready to charge in and run you down. You had to get ready. All that theory had to count for something, right?

Will you:
>Fight aggressively.
>Fight defensively.
>Fight shrewdly.
>>
>>6025626

>Fight shrewdly.

He’s hung-over, prone to rage and a sloppy duelist. We should try to tire him out, probsbly he’ll get exhausted quickly.
>>
>>6025626
>>Fight shrewdly.
Throw in another taunt that will piss him off.
>>
>>6025626
I assume defensively would mean blocking, whereas shrewdly would mean dodging, & we definitely don't want to try to block a huge axe or go blow for blow against it, thus:
>Shrewdly
Throw dirt in his eyes, trip him, cut his axe's head off when he overextends, etc.
>>
>>6025626
>Fight shrewdly.

should our uncles words hold true this is the way to go about it.
>>
>>6025626
>>Fight shrewdly.
>>
>>6025626
>Fight shrewdly.
>>
>>6025626
>>Fight shrewdly.
>>
>>6025637
>>6025654
>>6026006
>>6026098
>>6026172
>>6026328
>>6026381

Calling the vote. You will be fighting as shrewdly as you can against your foe.

I'll be back in maybe (10) hours to give the update. But I'll leave you with some lore snippets in exchange.

The Hills of Ulrit are the domain of The Dreamer, the mistboud Aspect. As you know, most locals worship her as a result of her communion with the Urrok of Ulrit. She is commonly depicted as a young woman with flowing black hair, dressed in a white, flowing cloak. A typical offering to The Dreamer consists of a cooked meal garnished with the light-blue petals of the mist lily, a flower found deep within Ulrit's forest. This offering is placed on a plate and set on one of the Dreamer's shrines. These are often found on the outskirts of villages or deep within forests. The dreamer is no stranger to divine punishment either. Those that are said to have angered the dreamer may come across one of two afflictions. Some may drift into a long slumber, never to wake again. Others will be plagued with inescapable insomnia, refusing to sleep for fear of what's in their dreams. Both of these often kill their victim within days or weeks, but their occurence is so few and far between that it's uncertain whether there is truth to them or not.
>>
The Dreamer got him, RIP in piece
>>
Update or forever be known as an oathbreaker.
>>
File: Hey gonna get you too.jpg (130 KB, 1024x992)
130 KB
130 KB JPG
>"10 hours"
>>
>>6031369
I get it.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.