[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/qst/ - Quests

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
Draw Size ×
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • Roll dice with "dice+numberdfaces" in the options field (without quotes).

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

**SCREAMS IN THE SNOW**

When snow covers the dust and blood of the Old West, what goes on beneath the skies often escapes easy observation.

More than two hundred years ago, settlers entered into an agreement with a clan of natives, whereby they would unite to resist the cannibal hordes from the north.

Victorious in the war of expulsion, the Deeplake village and the Watki tribe continued to coexist in apparent communion.

The Watki tolerated the immodest living space of the Deeplake whites, who in equal concession ended explorations of Watki territory and, in a rare lapse of restraint, refrained from stripping them of their women.

However, as time passed, the inevitable trade and movement of men between the two communities began to flourish, forming relationships that challenged the initial borders.

But the wheel of fortune, capricious and relentless, reserved a cruel fate for them.

A harsh winter, accompanied by relentless famine, threw the village and tribe into a spiral of hunger and despair. The fields and woods, once fertile, now lay barren under the relentless snow; the rivers, once generous, dwindled until they became mere trickles of water.

As the characters present here are now dead and buried, it is time to tell the story without a veil.

[...]

You were conceived and generated:

>in the womb of a white woman (firearms training)

>in the womb of a woman watki (tribal weapons training)

>in the womb of a half-watki woman (average training in both)
>>
Messed up the fucking tittletext. Hope it doesn't kill the thread in conception.
>>
>>6022780
>>in the womb of a half-watki woman (average training in both)
>>
>>6022780
>>in the womb of a half-watki woman (average training in both)
>>
>>6022780
>in the womb of a half-watki woman (average training in both)
>>
>>6022780
> In the womb of a white woman (firearms training)
>>
>>6022794
>>6022824
>>6022849
>writing...
>>
You grew up between two worlds, the son of a mother who personified the unity between the Deeplake settlers and the Watki tribe. From an early age you were taught how to handle rifles and revolvers as well as how to use bows and arrows and tribal blades. This mix of skills has made you an exceptional hunter, welcomed in Deeplake and respected in Watki.

In this harsh winter, the tribe's resources are quickly depleted and there is not much to forage to stock the sheds. The hunters of Deeplake find themselves forced to hunt further than they have ever gone before. Recently, you put together a team to hunt when they were attacked by a pack of hungry wolves. In the ensuing chaos, his colleague Joe's horse fled into the woods. Joe, injured, was taken back to the village by the other team members, while you were in charge of recovering the horse.

Following the footprints in the forest, you come across an unexpected scene.

>continue
>>
In the clearing, you see Joe's horse, but you are not alone. There are two men getting up, packing their clothes and breaking camp. Near them, you see a young woman with indigenous features and straight black hair, lying in the snow.

She's in bad shape, with blood all over her body and a blanket of skin that doesn't seem suitable for the intense cold. No one noticed her presence.

You are equipped with:
>Watki Hunting Bow (arrow x20)
>Flintlock Pistol (Ammo x10)
>Steel Knife x2

When we encounter a test or try and do something where failure brings a negative consequence, we'll roll 3d6 against her appropriate ability. A lower number guarantees success.

What do you do?
>>
>>6022909
> Approach to the edge of the firelight. Confront the strangers about the horse. Keep a hand on the hilt of your pistol.
>>
>>6022919
Arrive with something in your hands? Confront them by claiming the horse or wanting to listen to them without putting cards on the table?
>>
>>6022929
> Arrive with something in your hands?
No. Do not brandish the gun.
Just keep a hand at the pistol on your hip.
Be ready to draw it if threatened.
> Confront them by claiming the horse.
Yes.
Inform them that you are looking for a lost horse and that they appear to have found it.
Do not accuse them of theft or ill-will.
>>
The tallest cowboy notices you and calls out to his companion, "Well, howdy there! What brings you wanderin in the middle of nowhere?"

You reply, "Haha, kind of! Excuse me, and good afternoon, gentlemen. I was following some tracks and ended up here. My horse ran off after a nasty run-in with some wolves. I've been following his trail through the woods."

He responds, "It must be this one. Found him wandering alone in the snow, saddle and all. Take a look."

As you walk past the shivering form of the woman lying in the snow, you approach them, each standing on either side of Joe's horse.

He continues, "But tell me, friend, what brings you to these harsh parts in the dead of winter? Ain't often we see folks around here, specially this time of year."

>I'm a hunter from a nearby village.
>I'm out here alone, traveling east.
>My life is my own business.
>>
>>6023038
> I'm a hunter from a nearby village.
>>
>>6023038
>I'm a hunter from a nearby village.
Telling them we’re alone and far from home would be asking to get robbed.
>>
>>6023043
>>6023068
>writing...
>>
They give you space and you touch Joe's horse.

"Well, to be honest, I'm a hunter from a nearby village. The scarcity of fruits and animals has made us look further and further for game. One less horse would be a big problem. I'm just glad to have my horse back, thanks."

The shorter cowboy says: "Well, we sure are glad we could help reunite you with your horse. Times are tough all around. The last blizzard almost killed us."

And the taller one: "Say, since you're from a nearby village, mind if we tag along with you back there? We've been out here for days ourselves and could sure use a roof over our heads for a night or two .What do you say, friend?"

>I'll lead you back.
>I can't do that.
>Write.
>>
>>6023083
>I'll lead you back, but you must give me your gun first
>>
>>6023105
writing...
>>
"Hmm. Well, you guys seem pretty decent and aren't asking for much. A blizzard can start at any time. Give up your weapons and follow me, I'll lead you back. We'll get you settled in and see if we can get you some food. Drop to the ground and walk backwards."

The two boys quickly look at each other to say "OK!" in unison.

They drop:
>The flintlock pistol
>A common rifle, also flintlock

You collect all the equipment, ride Joe's horse. Each on their own feet they follow you, one leads the woman with forearms tied together and like an animal.

At this pace it will be 2d4+3 hours to the desired destination, plus any encounters, or half that time alone, at horse speed.

>automatic perception check

Before leaving however, you think that it is suspicious that they were on foot in such a remote mountain range, and that there were too many tracks for just one horse.

>Guide them in silence.
>"How did you end up here?"
>"There were more people around here." Demand explanations.
>Accelerate and leave them alone.
>>
>>6023142
I know I'm taking a while, I'm sorry. The whole family came to my house today.
>>
Rolled 1, 3 + 3 = 7 (2d4 + 3)

>>6023142
>>"How did you end up here?"
>>
>>6023142
>>Guide them in silence.
>>
>>6023142
>What's the story with the woman?
>>
>>6023142
>>Accelerate and leave them alone.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.