[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/qst/ - Quests

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
Draw Size ×
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • Roll dice with "dice+numberdfaces" in the options field (without quotes).

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

Jail Quest: a text adventure occasionally illustrated.

A night of drinking and a failed attempt to cheat on cards had landed you the strangest job slash community service sentence you've ever had: ensuring Gongalla Gaol survives the reality storm called Singularity.

Now you travel around with your employer and a handpicked crew to survey the four Reality Anchors. Hey, beats being tarred and feathered, right?

Previous thread:
https://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/qstarchive/2023/5880376/

Gongallaverse:
https://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/qstarchive.html?tags=Gongalla%20Gaol

You are Rosa Montagni, goblin con artist. On the way on your job/community service to check and maybe repair the four reality anchors that kept this former prison universe named Gongalla (where you live!) safe, you've traveled with a team of your own - among which is your cousin, Craig.

Who's currently missing and may be in this Northern logging town's brothel, somehow.

Anyways, you've joined forces with Millie and Clyde, who is on a mission themselves to dismantle this one cult who seek to call forth the reality storm called Singularity to collide with Gongalla. At least, that's how you viewed them, anyways.

So, after finding a secret passage between the hotel and the brothel, and another hidden room full of letters and ledgers inside that tunnel, you left Nemo, Valencio and Clyde to check it out while you and Millie continue ahead. There, you followed the sound of faint moans to a room - one that you just entered. There you encountered a woman sitting in an office, apparently having a bad day with finances. Reflexively, you said...

"Is this a bad time?"
>>
>>6023968
The woman, apparently Angela according to her desk's nameplate, notices you and lifts her head off her mire of numbers.

"Oh, clients?? I'm terribly sorry, but we are currently closed."

It appears that whatever preoccupied her had taken enormous mental strength to push on through, because she hadn't noticed Millie yet.

"Perhaps you are here for the... er, 'auditions', instead?"

She continues, and your sense of shenanigans brings a sly smile to your face. Sounds like something you could use in a con, perhaps...

Uh oh, she shifts her posture - a wall made of steepled arms, a sign that she's a bit suspicious.

"Hold on a minute. How did you two enter? Also, isn't she too young to be here?"

C'mon Rosa, what say you?

>□ Explain that you're here to 'have fun'
>□ Explain that you're here for the 'audition'
>□ Explain that you were exploring from the hotel and ended up here
>□ Explain that you're here to look for your cousin, Craig
>□ Quickly exit the room and try another door
>□ Other (write-in)
>>
>>6023976
(Also woah, it's been a whole year since Jail started, eh?)
>>
>>6023976
>□ Other (write-in)
Explain that Millie just has a growth condition and she would definitely appeal to a certain demographic.
>>
Okay uh, is there any actual reason to lie here? We're trying to find Craig before his purity gets stolen. I fail to see why we should try to 'audit'
>>
>>6023976

>>6023991
Only horniness on the part of anons I guess.
>>
>>6024014
>Only horniness on the part of anons I guess.
Well I don't mind horniness, but auditioning to be a 'burlesque lady'?
>>
>>6023976
Man let's just get this over with. We've been in this arc for too long.
>>
>>6023976
You know what, I don't feel like having a whole 'burlesque audition arc', sorry. The only lewds i wanna see of Rosa is of her and raul. The families must be united, it is foretold.
>>
>>6023985
Supporting.
We look for maximum shenaniganing anons, we need info about the mysterious clown in the wood sidequest or something, forgot since last thread
>>
>>6024014
>Only horniness on the part of anons I guess.
This is the quickest way to find Craig, presumably.
>>
>>6024015
Funny burlesque harlot time, I guess? I'm not entirely sure. I don't recall the people here knowing too much about stuff other than having Craig.

>>6024059
Arguably the quickest way to get Craig would just be to ask about him directly.
>>
>>6024074
>Funny burlesque harlot time, I guess?
It's funny until they ask her to show her 'commitment' to the job, and i don't think Rosa would be too keen on selling our her maidenhood for a fake audition.
>>
>>6024076
The real funny moment will be when that trickster spirit comes back to troll us at the worst moment possible.
>>
>>6023976
>>
>>6023976
>□ Explain that you're here to look for your cousin, Craig
>Sneak a look at the paperwork, see if there's any financial discrepancies that might be explained by a secret passage full of ledgers.
>>
>>6023976
>>Sneak a look at the paperwork, see if there's any financial discrepancies that might be explained by a secret passage full of ledgers.

>>6023991
I believe our viewpoint characters were under the impression Craig may have been kidnapped?
>>
>>6023976

Hey OP, I think you have an "admirer." >>6024553
>>
>>6024361
>I believe our viewpoint characters were under the impression Craig may have been kidnapped?
I suppose, but that doesn't really change how it might end up 'unsavory' for Rosa.
>>
>>6025025
It means being direct could result in getting stonewalled, and being indirect could get us in to rescue him.
>>
>>6023985
+1
>>
>>6023976
>>6023985
Lending my support
>>
>>6023985
+1 but wink at Millie when we do this, thinking of Craig
>>
Tallying, drawing, writing.

Audition: oooo0o
Exploring: oooo0
Look for Craig: o

Seems like Audition wins.
>>
This arc will never end
>>
>>6023976
Relax, Rosa, you got this - be as confident as a con artist. This 'audition' might even work in your favor!

"From the hotel, of course! We were just exploring the place and found the tunnel here. But, an audition, you say? This definitely caught my eye."

That might do the trick, as Angela's posture loosened a bit. Then she turns to Millie.

"What about you, girl? Are you also interested in the audition?"

Millie puts on her most innocent smile.

"Well, I'm here to watch her! I can't go back alone, after all."

Angela sighs - but thankfully one of relief. Her body language immediately changed from the tired, guarded pose you first saw her in, into one that is more cheerful.

"Very well, then! You see, we were hoping to reopen our theatre - the non-lewd, family friendly theatre - by inviting a famous troupe around these parts. But, alas, they cancelled at the last minute!"

You swore she was mumbling something about a no-refund policy before she claps her hand together.

"So! The question is, can you act? We'll set the audition up in a jiffy, so please wait here for a bit!"

As she rushes to exit her office, again you think she mumbled something under her breath about 'cleaning an accident upstairs'. It seems that in her hurry, Angela didn't secure the book she was writing in. Could it be a ledger?

>CHOOSE ONE

>□ Wait patiently for the audition in the office
>□ Sneak out and go upstairs
>□ Take a look at the book
>□ Talk to Millie about her mission
>□ Other (fill in)
>>
>>6025803
Meanwhile, tell Millie to sneak out and go upstairs. She's small, so she should have an easier time than a big lady like us, right?
>>
>>6025803
Sneaky time.
>>
>>6025803
Millie, play look-out; just for a moment.
Once we're done with that,
>□ Talk to Millie about her mission
>>
>>6025883
>>6025878
Only one can be chosen, anons.

Otherwise, splitting up to look for clues WOULD be the best policy, yeah.

>>6025803
>>
>>6025887
>Only one can be chosen, anons.
There is also an 'other' option. I feel like having to specifically write down Other(split up) is just pedantic
>>
>>6025883
+1 to book and Millie lookout
>>
>>6025803
>>
>>6025887
I know, I want us to do some sneaky goblin mode stuff and I didn't vote to split up or anything.
>>
>>6025803
>>□ Sneak out and go upstairs
>>
>>6025803
>>
>>6025803
>>
>>6025803
>>
>>6025803
>>
>>6025803
>>
>>6025803
>>
>>6025803
>>6025815
Supporting
>>
>>6025803
Hmm, the way she abruptly left her book is so suspicious. It could mean that the book is either a distraction, or not that important - a way to delay you in this room.

"Come on, Rosa! What are you waiting for?!"

Millie's raring to go chase Angela, but you point a finger to the ceiling.

"Shh... listen. You hear that?"

Steps upstairs. Heeled shoe on pine. Only a few steps, then a creak and a click. Door? High possibility. A couple seconds more of silence - except for that muffled, metallic thudding noise - and you're sure there's nobody outside the room.

"Right, now the coast's clear."

You slowly open the door so it doesn't creak, and out bolts Millie. Thankfully, she's light enough for her hasty footsteps to get drowned in the thudding noise.

"Be careful!"

"I will!"

Soon enough the both of you ascended the stairs, seems like Angela was telling the truth about the brothel still being closed. There's several doors, but the closest one is the one marked VIP.

"There! That's the door she went through, I'm sure of it!"

You whispered loudly, as Millie seems to be concentrating hard at the door and the room beyond it.

"Craig's definitely there... let's bust in!"

"Hold on..."

While her idea has merit in catching Angela, and anyone else in that VIP room, by surprise, you're also considering a slightly stealthier approach.

>CHOOSE ONE

>□ Bust in!
>□ Bust in, brandishing your gun!
>□ Peek inside, don't go in yet
>□ Sneak inside after peeking
>□ Just stroll in as if you're supposed to be here
>□ Other (fill in)
>>
>>6028584
Don't be foolish. Let's see what's happening first. Millions stands guard while we watch.
>>
>>6028587
>Millions
Millie*
>>
>>6028587
+1
>>
>>6028587
>millions
Gonna' be hard to hide the whole Green Army in this hallway kek

>>6028584
>>
>>6028584
>□ Bust in!
Bustin
>>
>>6028584
>Peek inside, don't go in yet
>>
>>6028584
>>
>>6028587
>MILLIONS MUST STAND GUARD
>>
>>6028584
>>
>>6028584
>>
>>6028584
>□ Sneak inside after peeking
>>
>>6028584
>>6029564
I'll change this to
Let's go guns blazing.
>>
>>6028584
>>
This definitely isn't suspicious at all lol...
>>
>>6029601
Yeah there's lots of new ids in the thread...
I don't want to start samefag accusations but it's sus
>>
>>6029610
Yeah, because changing your vote 1 minute after you posted it isn't suspicious at all...totally not just checking if you were with the same ID...
>>
>>6029613
Eh I'm more concerned about the 1 ids in here. It's literally the only reason I'm voting for this option instead, I like >>6028587 's write-in with Millie standing guard better.
>>
>>6028774
>>6025887
>>6025053
>>6024361
These are all me.

>>6029618
We ARE only a couple votes in, though, so I wouldn't personally freak out yet.
>>
>>6028587
>>6028590
2 ids 1-minute apart.

>>6028774
1 id

>>6029121
1 id

Hm it's not as many as I thought they were. But still I'd feel better about voting for >>6028587 if some of the above anons could verify.
>>
>>6029621
Alright thank you anon, I'm starting to feel a bit better about it.

>>6028584
>>6029590
Put me in for backing >>6028587
I don't want to get too paranoid yet.
>>
>>6029622
One of the 1 IDs should be me, I stayed at a hotel last night.
>>
>>6029625
I appreciate your honesty anon.
>>
>>6029626
Usually it's whenever /ss/ potential comes up that Jail gets a lot of 1 IDs. I still member the wet dream vote where suddenly like a hundred single ID votes came in against Craig. It was super obvious
>>
>>6028584
"Wait a minute, Millie. Let's try using stealth."

Sneaking closer to the door, you press your head to the wall and slowly open the door for just a crack. And then, peer in.

"What in tarnation-"

"Hey, I see Craig!"

Before you, a confusing scene unfolds. There's Craig, out like a light and lying in the middle of a heart-shaped bed, and surrounded by three nurses - hey wait, that's the succubus from earlier! So these three aren't real medical professionals, after all.

"What in heavens are you doing to him?! And why are you wearing the sexy nurse uniforms? Rita! Put down that oversized prop syringe right now!!"

Angela is having an entire freakout over this, as you spy... are those washing machines? And behind those washing machines, watching the chaos unfold, are three other women - wait a second, one of them is Lightning Ling!

Your previous plan of sneaking in and taking Craig away seems impossible now... unless??

>CHOOSE ONE

>□ Both of you try to sneak in anyways
>□ Have Millie act as a decoy, then sneak in and rescue Craig
>□ Be the decoy, have Millie sneak in and rescue Craig
>□ Walk as if you blend in and get Craig out as if it's the proper thing to do
>□ Walk in, acting ornery, intimidate them into giving Craig up
>□ Walk up to Angela and ask why is Craig there
>□ Walk up to Ling and ask why is she and Craig there
>□ Other (fill in)
>>
>>6031183
We know her. She'll be straight with us.
>>
>>6031183
>Other
Let things unfold without meddling
>>
>>6031183
>>□ Be the decoy, have Millie sneak in and rescue Craig
>>
>>6031183
Welp... I knew nothing was actually going to happen.
>>
>>6031183
She's also the one driving us places. Better to play it straight
>>
>>6031183
>>6031191
+1
>>
>>6031183
>>
>>6031183
>>
>>6031183
>□ Have Millie act as a decoy, then sneak in and rescue Craig
Sweep our sleeping prince away.
>>
>>6031183
>>
>>6031183
>>
>>6031270
Did anyone actually think this would end in anything but "We walk in before anything happens to Craig"?
>>
>>6031814
Maybe someone was hoping this would be IG's "Tales From Thulzar" moment.
>>
>>6031815
To be fair, our previous protagonist literally married a girl that did this kind of 'act'
>>
>>6031183
You know what? Scrap all this stealthy approach, situation's gone all storm in a teacup. To Millie's surprise, you just saunter into the room and make a beeline to Ling. You don't quite care that as soon as you entered, all eyes are on you. You just wanted the truth of what happened here, and you trust Ling to give you the real information.

"Alright, Ling... be straight with me. Why is Craig here, and what are you doing here?"

The half-clothed Ling smiles her usual wide smile, flanked by two working girls and behind the two Hinomaru-made washing machines.

"Well, I don't know what you do on your spare time, Rosa - but since you asked, I spend mine in brothels like this. You know, having fun with the girls. Whispering sweet nothings, and more lewd stuff."

"I... didn't knew you swing that way."

"Eh, you didn't ask, so I didn't tell. Anyways, as for Craig, apparently Sandra there mistook him for a client and brought him here. Then the little dude snuck here, to the VIP room, and passed out when he was me naked."

Annoyance written in big marquee letters on your face, you turn towards Angela. She seems to have put two and two together, and dragged the succubus who accosted you in the streets - Sandra, you presume - into a duet of apologetic bows.

"We're so sorry!!"

Wow, even the apology itself is synchronized. You look around - Millie's rushing to Craig's side, Ling shrugs her admittedly muscular shoulders, Rita the goblin putting down the prop syringe, while the other girls either look on or bow slightly to you. Oh, and Craig's still lying unconscious on the bed.

There's something to be done here, but what?

>CHOOSE ONE

>□ Take Craig and let him rest in your hotel room
>□ Let Craig rest here until he wakes up
>□ Rest here with Millie and Craig
>□ Other (fill in)

>ALSO CHOOSE ONE

>□ Just take their apology, it was an accident after all
>□ Apologies aren't enough, convince them to owe you money
>□ Apologies aren't enough, convince them to owe you a favor
>□ Apologies aren't enough, convince them to tell you relevant information
>□ Other (fill in)
>>
>>6033531
Let Millie take care of him or something, i dunno. I'm honestly just glad we finished this arc, it wasn't
really going anywhere.
>>
>>6033531
The obvious lewd/amusing option will also give the poor kid a heart attack, and doesn't make much sense in character.

Turns out this whole segue was useful, after all!
>>
>>6033531
>>
>>6033531
>>
>>6033531
Under Millie care.

>>
>>6033649
>Under Millie care.
Agreed
>>
>>6033531
Millie can look after the poor guy.
They're not doing great financially and it'll be hard to collect on a favour later; but they can certainly spill the beans about various subjects. Perhaps we can even help them with one or two of their own problems.
>>
Apologies folks, update delayed tomorrow, had a headache and feeling a bit under the weather.
>>
>>6035298
Oh no! Get well soon.
>>
>>6035353
Yea, no worries, took a Tolak Angin and a Saridon and a good night's sleep, and I'm all fine this morning. Drawing, writing.
>>
>>6033531
"As much as I appreciate the gesture, ladies - apologies alone ain't cutting it."

You remember one of your mentor's teachings. 'If someone did you wrong and is sorry about it, never settle for just an apology'. You remember. It's a form of leverage.

"But, I know you're in the red, right? So how about y'all ladies give me some information on Jed's lumberyard problem?"

Angela bows again, in a more curtsy way.

"Thank you for being considerate... well, girls? You heard anything about that?"

Soon the room fills with murmuring amongst the working girls, a rapid exchange of gossip before the doe-eyed doe woman turns towards you.

"Mon cheri, not many rumors go around about ze lumberyards here, but ze ones that do paints zat Leon in a bad light. Not very trusty fellow, zat Leon."

"Oh! Didn't Tina work as a lumberjane, now? I think she's working at Jed's! You could ask her about it!"

The succubus from earlier seems eager to mention this Tina; is she a friend of hers? Anyways, seems like a rumor and a referral is the best pieces of intel you'll get here.

"Well, alright, that should do it. Now, let's get Craig outta here and into my hotel room before a real scandal happens."

Poor Craig, he's not ready yet for the real birds and bees... and boobies. You open the sheet he's under to scoop him up, only to find him only having his pants on.

"Uh, why is he wearing only his shorts?"

"Oh, he got a big nosebleed all over his shirt."

The sultry-eyed (or lazy-eyed?) girl explained, then pointed at yhe still-spinning washing machine.

"It's still taking some time to clean, yeah."

As if knowing your thoughts, Ling tosses you a fresh towel. You deftly catch it and swaddles up Craig with it, and cradle him gently.

"Send the laundry over to room 203. Good luck with the theater fundraising - I'll still do the auditions later. C'mon, Millie."

And with that, you exit the VIP room, Craig safely in your hands. Or arms, rather. As you proceed towards the hidden door to the hotel, you are reminded of Nemo, Valencio, and Clyde. What sort of data did they manage to collate, if at all?

>ROLL 1D100

>CHOOSE WHAT THE ROLL IS FOR:

>□ Valencio, Nemo, Clyde finding relevant info
>□ Random encounter in the secret tunnel
>□ Rosa noticing Millie's powers
>□ Millie reading something off the working girls' minds
>□ Other (fill in)
>>
Rolled 29 (1d100)

>>6036113
Millie gets jelly they almost stole from craig what is rightfully hers. She's gotta make a move soon.
>>
Rolled 50 (1d100)

>>6036113
>>
Rolled 73 (1d100)

>>6036113
>□ Rosa noticing Millie's powers
>>
Rolled 86 (1d100)

>>6036113
>>
Rolled 19 (1d100)

>>6036113
>>
Rolled 46 (1d100)

>>6036113
>>
Rolled 53 (1d100)

>>6036113
>>
>>6036113
As you carry Craig back into the deceptively long tunnel, you notice that Millie seems to have calmed down from her initial haste. Then again, the way she acted just then - you're thinking of how she seems to definitely know where Craig is - makes you wonder if she has some kind of special power. Clairvoyance? Nah, doesn't feel like it... mind-reading, perhaps? Then time to ask her about it, it seems.

"So, Millie, when are you going to tell me that you can read minds?"

She immediately did a double take at this revelation. To her credit, she didn't automatically deny things; her face shifts from a red-handed surprise to one of cautious skepticism, before having a revelatory surprise. Yep, she definitely was reading your mind just now.

"...Amazing! You've deduced it from my behavior! Well done!"

Now she's looking more relieved and open, as if a mask had fell from her face.

"Yes, Rosa, you guessed correctly. I can really read minds! Guess now you and Craig knew."

"Huh. Why'd you tell Craig and not me?"

She smiled, a little bit more free than the previous times you've seen her smile.

"He's a good, naive kid. Nobody would believe him if he did tell anyone about it."

That... makes sense, actually.

"So, those working girls back there - got anything good while reading their minds?"

"Well... one of them might be cult-related, but I'll need a better look in her mind just to be sure."

Before you know it, you see Clyde keeping watch outside the hidden room. Man, this hallway really is quite variable with its length.

"Ladies. Craig."

"Hey Clyde. Everything alright over here?"

He nods, then gestured at the door. Right at that moment, Nemo pops out, holding a folder filled with paper.

"Ah, good, Craig is safe."

"What's that you got there?"

His expressionless face turns to you.

"We found some solid evidence of cult activity in Pinewatch."

What kind of evidence, you wonder?

>CHOOSE TWO

>□ A partial map of an area to the north of Pinewatch, marked with the symbol of the Singularity - seems like it's well hidden if you don't know it's there

>□ Paper trail of a bevy of embezzlements, funds taken from various businesses in Pinewatch and spent on esoteric supplies

>□ Letter correspondences between cult members under pseudonyms, only that one of them is sloppy and sometimes named names

>□ An early draft of a manifesto detailing the cult's goals and long-term plans, it mentioned the kidnappings and the relic duplications, among other things

>□ Other (fill in)
>>
>>6038261
>□ A partial map of an area to the north of Pinewatch, marked with the symbol of the Singularity - seems like it's well hidden if you don't know it's there
>□ An early draft of a manifesto detailing the cult's goals and long-term plans, it mentioned the kidnappings and the relic duplications, among other things
>>
>>6038261
>>
>>6038261
>>
>>6038261
>>
>>6038261
>>□ A partial map of an area to the north of Pinewatch, marked with the symbol of the Singularity - seems like it's well hidden if you don't know it's there

We can go back to the working girl for names.
>>
>>6038261
>>□ An early draft of a manifesto detailing the cult's goals and long-term plans, it mentioned the kidnappings and the relic duplications, among other things
>>
>>6038261
>>
>>6038261
>>
>>6038261

"May I take a look, Nemo?"

He hands you the folder, which he seemed to nab from the room, and thus unimportant. But the contents, oh, the contents!

There's a map of some sort that details some sort of cave to the northeast of Pinewatch, if you're reading the map correctly. It seems to also include several areas nearby... lumber yards? Seems likely. The whole map seems to be drawn behind an ad for a theatre troupe.

The other document is written neatly, seems to be an early draft for a manifesto of some kind. As you read into it further, it's clear that the Singularity cultists wrote this - and it has clues on their goals, and means to achieve said goals. This bit right here corellates to the child kidnappings, and this bit here refers to that relic-copying scheme you encountered in Ossuary.

"Rosa, may I read the manifesto?"

Millie seems to be interested in it after lightly skimming your mind. You hand her it, managing to keep Craig cradled in your arms.

"Wow, these cultists seems to be more organized than usual! I might have to call for more backups. Clyde, can you get working on it?"

Clyde nods, and thus the entire team heads back towards the hotel. As you leave, you see Valencio close the secret room's door, leaving only a small indentation to mark where it was.

Later, safely back to the hotel (and thankfully seen by nobody), you tuck in Craig in your room's bed. Millie's sticking close, keeping an eye on him; which suits you well.

"Hey, Millie? Can you take care of Craig for a while?"

She might have picked up your intentions. There is something you need to do before going to check that cultist cave (you need to wait for Millie's reinforcements) or checking out the lumberyards (you need Craig's help with it, you think).

"Yeah, why?"

"Well, I gotta..."

>CHOOSE ONE

>□ Do a thorough inventory check, you haven't done so since before you played cards with Nemo

>□ Look for suitable winter wear for both you and Craig, hopefully Nemo and Valencio bought some when they resold the supplies, otherwise you'll need to shop

>□ Dig around for rumors some more, but this time you're looking into the lumberyard dispute

>□ Get some much-needed shuteye, after that brothel fiasco you really need some 40 winks

>□ Talk to Millie about previous cults she's dealt with, what makes this one different?

>□ Go to the doc across the street, see if you can get something to wake Craig up faster

>□ Other (fill in)
>>
>>6040527
>□ Dig around for rumors some more, but this time you're looking into the lumberyard dispute
Also so we can give Millie some time alone with Craig.
>>
>>6040531
+1
>>
>>6040527
>>
>>6040527
>>□ Get some much-needed shuteye, after that brothel fiasco you really need some 40 winks
>>
>>6040527
>>□ Get some much-needed shuteye, after that brothel fiasco you really need some 40 winks
>>
>>6040527
>□ Get some much-needed shuteye, after that brothel fiasco you really need some 40 winks
>>
>>6040527
>□ Look for suitable winter wear for both you and Craig, hopefully Nemo and Valencio bought some when they resold the supplies, otherwise you'll need to shop
>>
>>6040527
>□ Do a thorough inventory check, you haven't done so since before you played cards with Nemo
It's been a while since we last did this.
>>
>>6040527
>□ Go to the doc across the street, see if you can get something to wake Craig up faster
Wake up our sleeping prince!
>>
>>6040527
>>
Rolled 1 (1d2)

A tie between rumors and shuteye. Let us consult the winds of fate. Drawan, writan.

>1: rumors
>2: perchance to dream
>>
>>6040527
"...go to sniff out more rumors, especially the ones about the lumberyard."

Millie tilts her head at you for a second.

"Yeah, I'll keep watch on Craig, then."

"Do tell me when he wakes up, alright?"

Hopefully when Craig does wake up, he'll have some bonding time with Millie; get himself out of his shell and just... be honest with her! You swear, he's too shy for his own good.

Anyways, on with the rumor gathering again. As usual, you hit the bar for them - but it seems that there's not much new gossip being told. It may be that you've heard all of Pinewatch's current gossip - still, you've gathered some ideas from the few new inferences the townsfolk made.

First, you've gotten a more complete view of Leon. Looks like he used to be a drifter that went from town to town before becoming a competent lumberjack - then he became overseer, a fact that is often overlooked due to his recent string of mismanagements. And yet, he still holds the overseer position... curious.

You've also gained a more thorough history of the lumber companies in Pinewatch. Seems that Stuart Co. is the first lumber company to set up business in Pinewatch, then followed closely by Funny Wood Products. Apparently, back then the two had reached a healthy rivalry due to low overlap - Stuart tends to stick to pure woodcutting, while FWP has lower gross wood production but makes up for it by also selling furniture. This was referred to as a 'golden age' by the elder lumberjacks. Then came the railroad, and soon afterwards came Chainsaw Inc. who claimed some areas that were formerly inaccessible and uses some Metal Men labor to offset their low employee count.

It was after Chainsaw Inc. came into the picture that the relations between FWP and Stuart Co. became strained - several suspicious accidents happened to all three lumber companies, and fingers were pointed. No doubt the latest issue that Jed Stuart hired you for is related to this... right?

Seems you've had enough to drink as you find yourself staggering back towards the hotel. Either that, or the fact that the last time you slept was back in Goblinton, about three or four days ago. In any case, you can't help but feel that there could be a connection between this lumber dispute and the Singularity cult - you just don't know what, yet. Maybe...?

(Cont.)
>>
>>6042898
You shelf that thought as you drag yourself up the stairs; you were about to enter your room when you heard Craig and Millie talking about something you're too drowsy to hear. Huh, nice! So instead, you enter Nemo and Valencio's room, thankfully Nemo's there.

"Hey, Nemo, let me borrow your floor for a while..."

You put your hands behind your head and tip your hat forward as Nemo's reply almost reached your ears. Sleep comes faster than you thought; and a dream follows it.

>WRITE-IN WHAT YOU THINK THE CONNECTION BETWEEN THE CULT AND THE LUMBER DISPUTE IS

>ALSO, CHOOSE A DREAM

>□ A dream of you and your mentor in the past
>□ A dream of Craig's possible future
>□ A dream of the Singularity
>□ A dream of the four deities of the anchors
>□ A dream of romance; your romance
>□ A dream that is quickly forgotten
>□ Other (fill-in)
>>
>>6042900
I wanna know more about this mysterious mentor of ours.
I'm still amazed how tame everything related to the brothel ended up being.
>>
>>6042900
I'll try to think of a connection...but in the meanwhile
Much as i would like to give Rosa another romantic dream, we've already had one. I'm going to save the romance scenes for when we actually find him again.
>>
>>6042900

>WRITE-IN WHAT YOU THINK THE CONNECTION BETWEEN THE CULT AND THE LUMBER DISPUTE IS
Chainsaw Inc is a Singularity Cult front. Both employ Metal men to do their dirty-work, and they're going into deeper areas because they're doing shady shit out there. Stirring up trouble between the other two companies helped keep attention off them and allowed them to hide their own shady activities as 'accidents' too, maybe?
>>
>>6042900
backing >>6043018
Mentor... I know Rosa must miss her greatly, even now...
>>
>>6042900
>>□ A dream of Craig's possible future
>>
>>6042900
You are you again; Rosa Montagni, back when you went with your mentor and travelled across Gongalla. Such a gloomy girl you were then; lacking in confidence and optimism. You remembered this scene - it was just after your mentor ran a successful con in Pizen Bluff in West.

"Why so glum, Rosa?"

Your mentor saw you sighing on a balcony and joined you.

"Oh, I was just wondering what if I was born a Magician like you, instead of a Null."

You've just learned the different Gongallan skills the other day. You could've helped her more, you wanted to - but you don't have the skill.

"Aw, don't be sad about that, Rosa! We gotta do with what we've got. Skills aren't everything for a con artist!"

She then lowers her head, as if to whisper something in your ear. You oblige, and focused your senses towards her lips.

"I'll let you in on a secret: my Magician skill? It's all smoke and mirrors, kid. Distractions all the way down."

As you were processing this revelation, you suddenly feel something metallic brushing against your other ear. Your mentor had just plucked a silver Gobcoin from right behind that ear - you didn't even notice her other hand.

"Basically, Rosa, all you need to do is to misdirect their attention elsewhere, so you can pull things from their blind spot! Now, let's go to the next city, shall we?"

The sense of wonder and excitement slowly fades away, as you woke up - lesson fresh in mind. You wonder why you've recalled such memories just now, as your mind connects the dots you realized something: this lumberyard dispute could be some sort of distraction from whatever the cultists are planning. It could even be that Chainsaw Inc is a front for the cultists?

Anyways, you've noticed Nemo in the room - has he been watching you sleep? A knock on the door.

"Hey, Rosa, may I go in? Craig's awake now."

Oh, right. Now you can check the lumberyard proper. What sort of investigation are you going to do?

>CHOOSE TWO

>□ Review latest incidents of 'sabotage', there might be clues in the timing
>□ Speak to as many lumberjacks as you can, use Millie's mind reading
>□ Check the ledgers, you can bet that the numbers won't add up
>□ Focus on Leon, he might be hiding something
>□ Also check the other two lumber companies while you're at it
>□ Check the site of the last 'sabotage' for clues
>□ Other (fill in)
>>
>>6045286
The numbers Mason! What do they mean?
>>
>>6045286
I hope Craig and Millie had some nice time to themselves.
>>
>>6045286
>>□ Check the ledgers, you can bet that the numbers won't add up
>>
>>6045345
>>6045355
>>6045364
Anons, choose TWO.

>>6045286
>>
>>6045390
>>6045355
Oh yeah, choose two. In that case, adding
>>
>>
>>6045286
Don't believe me? It's all in the numbers.
Number one: that's terror.
Number two: that's terror.
>>
>>6045390
Ah thanks.

>>6045286
>>6045345
Adding
>>
Apologies, there won't be an update tonight - hopefully I can make one tomorrow.
>>
>>6045286
>>
>>6047032
Thanks for the heads up. Enjoy the weekend!

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.