[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/qst/ - Quests

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
Draw Size ×
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • Roll dice with "dice+numberdfaces" in the options field (without quotes).

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: BOQ Header complete.png (150 KB, 1200x849)
150 KB
150 KB PNG
On the Island of Guyot, farmers ply the field of beachgrass with specially made fish bone combs, to harmlessly pull the seeds from the stalks as to not harm the precious plants. The harvest this season seems adequate. Behind them, young children follow to pick up any fallen seeds and to drive away pests. Underneath the blazing arid sun, the farmers wear their hats and work slowly as to not sweat themselves too much, the nearby picnic is all ready for their next break.

Down off the high top, there is a commotion in the village along the beach and docks. What, has a ship come in from the Black Ocean? Carrying goods for trade or Sweetwater, from the Fruit-Barons? No- it seems a young woman is finally giving birth. This is a happy occasion, and she is about to hold a newborn baby boy. This will be you, as you have not yet been born.

But alongside your mother, there will of course be a man, and from his profession will influence the future course of your own life. What kind of man is your Father?
>Naval Officer (Highest Skill, Lowest Luck)
>Local Craftsman (Highest Wealth, Lowest Skill)
>Escaped Slave (Highest Luck, Lowest Wealth)
>>
>>6035566

We’re buying our way into success. Fuck luck fuck skill, we can buy. Why be the escaped slave when we can BUY the slave.
>>
>>6035566
Surely it will not get blown away doing something stupid.
>>
>>6035566
LuckMAXXING
>>
>>6035566
>>Escaped Slave (Highest Luck, Lowest Wealth)
>>
>>6035566
Wealthmaxxing. Also because escaped slave is such a cliche.
>>
>>6035566
>escaped slave>
>>
>>6035566
Rages to riches, baybeeeee.
>>
>>6035566
>>
>>6035584
I think riches to even bigger riches is a bit more interesting. You already know the escaped slave part is gonna be all about being discriminated for being a former slave and having to buy your own freedom, and then anon start wanting to be an anti-slaver...so overdone.
>>
>>6035566
>>
>>6035566

I was convinced by the other anons, lets make millions into billions
>>
>>6035566
>Naval Officer
>>
>>6035566
>>
>>6035566
>>Naval Officer (Highest Skill, Lowest Luck)
>>
>>6035566
>>
>>6035566
>>
>>6035566
>>Escaped Slave (Highest Luck, Lowest Wealth)
GAMBLING IS AN INVESTMENT AND AN INVESTMENT ONLY
YOU ONLY NEED TO WIN 27 GAMES OF BLACKJACK TO BECOME A BILLIONAIRE
>>
>>6035566
>>
>>6035566
>>6035579
>escaped slave is such a cliche
Try to remember where we are.
>>
>>6035584
>>6035587
This is choosing for our FATHER, not us.
>>
>>6035566
Make him gay, too.
>>
>>6035566
>>
>>6035566
>>
>>6035566
>>
>>6035566
>>
>>6035566
>>Local Craftsman (Highest Wealth, Lowest Skill)
Wealth means he can spend more time on us. That's what's important.
>>
"...And who are the five Deaths?" Your father asks you, spending some time teaching you important things that every boy should learn. While he could hire a tutor for your letters and numbers; some things are of greater importance to the man, and the Deaths are one of them.

"They are the Gods, who offer the only escape. There is the Sun Death, where the body is too damaged to recover. Or being burnt."
"That's right. The most cruel of all the deaths- but the most fair. It doesn't matter if you're rich or poor, good or bad, it is all the same. It is the most just of all the deaths."
"Then the second is the... uhm... Death in the Sea?"
"That's right too! The Sea-Death is the death of fate and the weather, the most important Death to sailors. The death caused by drowning- or being eaten by a big scary sea monster. Torn apart by-"
"Richard!" - Your mother interrupts across the room, preparing a meal made of your saltcakes- the hardtack everyone eats to survive, but he shushes her.
"Quiet woman- I'm educating. What's the 3rd death?"
"Scurvy."
“The worst death of all- the most hateful one. Without our Sweetwater, we would all surely die from the Scurvy death. The Death of pestilence and disease, it offers power but always ends in destruction. What's the fourth?"
"Uhmm..."
"You smoke this one."
"OH! The Opium Death."
"That's right. The Death of Opium, giving insanity, dreams, and euphoria. Smoking too much Opium can kill you. But it is a rich man's death, and is not a concern of yours. What's the last death?"
"The Lady Deaths. Like Auntie."
"Exactly. The Deaths that are the Creator's last mercy to mankind. Well done. Now go outside and play, Dad's tired and is gonna take a nap with your mother..."

You are now a young boy, and spend your days learning and playing in the village. Like with all young people in this world, your life is still hard and you are expected to work hard, but there is a level of protection in your childlike innocence. You spend almost every day exploring the island with your best friend, Everett. Today though, you had a plan to do something a little naughty.
>>
Every family on the island has their own Sweetwater, stored in glasses and vials. Sweetwater is expensive; water mixed with the tiniest amount of juices, pulps, and boiled up peels of fruits from the Fruit-Barons. It's the only way to get something that your teachers called Vitamin C, something required to avoid the Scurvy-Death. Despite everyone needing it to live, the Fruit-Barons have a full monopoly on the all-important resource, and have become all powerful and rich because of it. The true injustice of this is not yet something you understand; to you, it is just water that tastes Sweet. Compared to the saltcakes, the hard biscuits you eat to keep up your energy and the occasional fish you can eat; Sweetwater is the tastiest of deserts.

But today, you and Everett had a plan. You wanted to see if your family's Sweetwaters taste different. You steal the vial when your mother isn't looking, and meet up with the other boy behind a stone house in the village, in the shadow away from the sun. You take a sip of his and he of yours, so you can compare.
>>
File: BOQ post1 p1.png (77 KB, 900x637)
77 KB
77 KB PNG
“Mhmm- Wow! Yours tastes like tomatoes, Sylvester!” He says to you.
”Your family's Sweetwater, that has to be a pinapple. Or maybe a banana. They taste the same.”
”Mhmm. Yeah, true! My mother has seeds from the Fruit-Barons, did you know that?”
”Wha- You're lying!”
”Hehe, you're right. It was a lie.”

You both giggle for a moment, sharing the moment. Before an accident. As you move to get up from your position, Everett slips and falls back- accidentally flinging the fragile glass vial of his family's Sweetwater to the ground, causing it to shatter. The precious stuff flows into the soil and is lost in a moment.

”Oh- Oh no!”
”What happened?”
“I-I dropped it! No!”

He clutches his head in his hands. You can already feel his desperation. The truth is that for the vast majority of people in this world, things are very tough. Losing a vial of Sweetwater, especially for a poor farmer like Everett, would be more then enough to bankrupt an entire family. Both of you were fools for sharing it and coming here with it, it was just childish fun, but you weren't supposed to lose it.

“What- What am I going to do?!”
”Uhmm...”

It's not something you fully comprehend yet, but it's something you're aware of in the back of your mind, the difference in class. Some men are rich, and some are not. Even if you don't understand it, you know that your family is richer then Everett- more then most people on the Island. Your father is a skilled Coralman, and is well paid for the things he can do for it. You already know that Everett would be punished much more heavily by his father for him losing the Sweetwater then your father would punish you in the same situation. You can feel his desperation. You clutch the vial of glass as it sweats in the hot outside air. Perhaps...

>Give Everett your family's Sweetwater and take the punishment on yourself
>Split up your Sweetwater in half and explain the situation to your parents
>Avoid getting in trouble yourself
>>
>>6036559
Here's my logic: While we're going to get punished anyway, better to do it as brothers than as a martyr.

I'll admit though, I'm rather curious about the setting. Why would they need Vitamin C from fruits if they're a village? Pretty sure there are a lot more ways to get Vitamin C than fruits.
>>
>>6036559
>>
>>6036563
Local crops and fish are obviously very low in that vitamin. That's what I assume, anyway.

>>6036559
>>
>>6036599
Why would anyone live in such a shithole, I have no idea why. Even Bedouins and Eskimos had their ways to get vitamin C.
>>
>>6036559
Also make sure to have gay sex with him before that, though.
>>
>>6036619
What ways?

>>6036640
kys
>>
>>6036619
Probably lack of alternative options they know about, have access to, and can conquer and hold. Same reason people ever live somewhere shitty.

>>6036640
Too young, check back later.
>>
>>6036654
>What ways
Eating organs and shit like milk, from what I gather. Actually, people ate a lot of organs back then because they're the "healthiest" part. Of course, these people have seemingly decided to settle in an island that is both arid, and has zero animals for food.

But then again, maybe the setting as a whole is just an absolute fucking garbage place to live in and there isn't any other place that is better.
>>
>>6036563
>Pretty sure there are a lot more ways to get Vitamin C than fruits.
da joos stole all of the vitamin c
also they made vitamin c so potent that a few drops of juice (diluted in water) is enough to last a family a very long time apparently
>>
>>6036559
>>
>>6036559

Perhaps if they know the situation, our parents will be able to help somewhat themselves.
>>
>>6036559
>Avoid getting in trouble yourself
>>
>>6036559
>>Avoid getting in trouble yourself
>>
>>6036559
>>
>>6036559
>>Avoid getting in trouble yourself

Seriously, Everett?
>>
>>6036559
>>
File: BOQ post2 p1.png (59 KB, 900x637)
59 KB
59 KB PNG
Rolled 1 (1d2)

You decide to split your Sweetwater in half, giving what you have left and pouring half of it into a new vial for Everett and his family. Hopefully, his father will not be too cross with him for losing some, but perhaps he can lie and say he drank it. At least, coming home with the half full vial is better then coming home empty handed.

But what of your own father? You are a child and still have that naive innocence and innate trust and obedience to your parents. You can't and won't lie to them. But how will he react? You can control your own actions and choices, but not everything in life is certain. Sometimes there is random chance.

On a roll of One, you have passed a check, gotten lucky, avoided danger, found something good, or otherwise been put in a better position.

On a roll of Two, you have failed, been caught out, did not notice anything, or were just plain unlucky.

Perhaps your Father will be in a good mood today...
>>
Update is postponed until later today. I hope this lackluster art of this thread isn't a huge problem; I started this one with less preparation. Originally, it was going to be a full text-only Quest as an experiment. How do you feel about intermittent art for a Bananas Quest?
>>
>>6037597
I haven't seen any real issue with the art though? We've only had 2 updates, it's a bit too early to say much.
>>
>>6037600
It's a lot lower effort then my normal standards, to me at least lol
>>
>>6037602
Again, only two updates.
>>
>>6037597
The only problem I see is a distinct lack of gay sex.
>>
>>6037597
Nah it's fine. I'm happy with any drawing real.
>>
>>6037597
Do what you must Bananas
>>
>>6037827
This, as long as it includes gay sex.
>>
>>6037597
Not every update need art. It's fine.
>>
File: BOQ post3.png (85 KB, 900x637)
85 KB
85 KB PNG
You get home and tell your father what happened. You can see he is upset to see you carrying that vial back lower then when he last left it. But he seems calm, and he asks you if your friend asked for the Sweetwater after he dropped his.

"No. It was my idea."
"I see. Well... it was good of you to help your friend. But remember, in this life, you can't help everyone. Everett will likely be your friend for the rest of your life, but if someone else comes by and needs your help, they may be trying to take advantage of you. There will always be people out there who need help, and unless you want to become one of them, you need to stay vigilant. Some will confuse your kindness with weakness."
"I understand, Father. But I know everyone on the island now. Aren't all of us friends?"
"...Come with me, Son. Let me show you something."

On the Black Ocean, the islands and coats from the great desert that surround the sea are where all the people live. Distances can be vast, and traveling the water can only be done one with, with ships.

Once, you were taught, that ships were built of wood- a fantastical material made of "trees", which are like grass, but hard and long and straight and also float. It sounds incredible to you that such a thing could be real and grow from sunlight and water just like your beachgrass can, but apparently, that was how things were in the old world. Now, ships are made of corals. They grow on bones, and are carefully molded into shape by skilled Craftstmen... like your father.

"Look here Son. This is the ship I've been building. Not repairing or maintaining the other ships that come to this island, not growing corals for them- but this is just for me. For us."
"What's the bucket for?"
"You put the saltwater on the parts where you want the corals to close up- they naturally form a wall. If you seal up the holes, the ship can float- despite each piece being heavy and hard. Shelf corals make the deck and the other floors, bubble corals build the inner chambers, brain corals are put at the bottom as a ballast. Pillar corals curve to form the outer hull- strong and hollow. Holes are filled with branching corals in the event of damage, or chalk... This grows on its own, from the coralwind; we do not build bigger ships, we grow them."
"What about those holes up there, Father? Are we going to close those?"
"Oh no Son, those are gunports."
"Is that safe? What if water goes in them? Won't it sink?"
"The ship will be safer with them then without."
>>
Your father shared with you his project, and his ship, the Pink Lady with you. He wishes to sail the ocean one day, and you think that is a wonderful dream.

But time doesn't stand still. You grow older, from a child to a young man. In the summer of your manhood, it becomes clear from your restlessness that life on Guyot isn't going to be enough for you. It doesn't help that your small island community is quite poor overall, and the island doesn't attract many ships- only enough work for one Coralman. You start to fight your Mother and Father more, not on purpose, but getting into trouble more and more is a clear sign. One day, a ship docks at the island and without being able to take it anymore- you sign up as a novice crewmen. You're unlikely to be paid anything on your first voyage, but the experience you gain could become invaluable.

You sign up as a sailor and crowd onto a tiny ship with dozens of other men. The smell is terrible and you get extremely sick for the first few days as you get your sea-legs, but watching the island of your home disappear from your view on the horizon is one of the most exhilarating moments of your life.

But the Black Sea is no Guyot, it's a dangerous place, and soon enough you are trained to become proficient in a specific weapon. What weapon do you seem to get a knack for?

>Musket
>Cutlass
>Cannon
>Harpoon
>>
>>6038780
>Cutlass

We’re a rich failson. What is a better representation of that than attention to be a shitty duelist?
>>
>>6038780
>Musket
>>
>>6038780
>Cannon
Always go for the bigger gun
>>
>>6038780
>Musket
You see, a musket also gives us access to a bayonet, so we can get both the cutlass and the shooty shoot weapon.
>>
>>6038780
>Harpoon
And also a knack for taking as many cocks at once for high-seas bukakke.
>>
>>6038780
>Harpoon
>>
>>6038780
>Harpoon

>>6038873
The seocne part goes without saying. We're a sailor. Don't make it weird.
>>
>>6038780
>Harpoon
>>
>>6038780
>Musket
>>
>>6038998
*second part
>>
>>6038998
>implying gay sex is weird
>>
>>6038780
>Musket
>>
>>6038780
>Cannon

Our father didn't make the ship with Gunports just to wave a Cutlass or Lob a Harpoon from. Let's train in the Cannonade.
>>
>>6038780
>CANNON
BOOM! HEADSHOT!
>>
Rolled 21 (1d100)

>>6038780
>>Harpoon
>>
>>6038780
>>Musket
>>
>>6038780
>Cannon
>>
Rolled 6 (1d7)

Breaking the tie between Musket & Harpoon and giving a chance for Cannon because I think it's funny.

Current Votes-
Musket- 5
Harpoon- 5
Cannon- 4

>Roll 1-3 is Musket
>Roll 4-6 is Harpoon
>Roll of 7 only is Cannon
>>
>>6039688
Musketbros it is so over.
>>
>>6039736
I was hoping for cannon honestly then the facade about following player votes would be completely erased and just totally democratically ignored lmao
>>
Rolled 6, 4, 9, 10, 10, 7, 2, 6, 8, 4, 10, 7, 1, 5, 2, 3, 6, 9, 10, 10, 6, 4, 4, 10, 5 = 158 (25d10)

>>6038780
>Cannon
>>
'Harpoon' isn't even a real weapon. It's a fucking hunting tool. Literally no one uses an harpoon in combat. The people voting it were trying to fuck shit up on purpose.
>>
>>6039780
Voting is SO closed brother.
>>
Rolled 22, 13, 12, 8, 6, 19, 18, 13, 5, 15, 10, 25, 10, 25, 9, 19, 6, 25, 1, 4, 12, 14, 8, 22, 21 = 342 (25d25)

>>6039782
Oh
>>
>>6039776
I can't believe you keep falling for the "proposing options you don't want to follow up" trap.
>>
>>6039802
I don't do that. It was merely a meme.
>>
File: BOQ post4.png (136 KB, 900x637)
136 KB
136 KB PNG
Over the next few months, you end up sailing with a ship called the Sweaty, and for good reason. It's a compact medium sized ship, specifically crewed by many expert fisherman. The ship sails the ocean in great circuits, docking and resupplying when it can, while catching its own fish- though their main goal is hunting whales and other rare sea creatures- who are incredibly valuable.

For a time, you are the smallest and least skilled sailor on the ship, so you try to keep out of the way. You're intrigued by the diet of these sailors, much heavier then your own with their fish meat and boiled fish skins, though you realize soon how boney the black skinned, translucent deep-sea fish that make up the black seas really are and how little you can get from them. Plus, the danger involved in tangling with any sea creature makes the voyage exciting, though a bit intimidating.

You felt as though you were utterly alone on the ship, and failing in your duties, until a crewmate named Bones becomes your close friend, and helps you learn some of the ropes. You learn all about tying sailor knots, catching fish, moving the sails with the wind, and all kinds of new inventive language. You were so taken aback you actually blushed to it, much to the amusement of Bones and the other crewmembers.

"...Hey Bones, you're from Good Teeth island, right? Why does everyone from there have such good teeth anyway?"
"Oh, it's because our momma's put a lot of fuckin' water in the Saltcakes. Keeps your teeth nice and hydrated and no-chippies."
"Hmm. I heard it was all the fish they eat."
"Oh the fishing is good too-" He quickly adds, "But that's more on the northern side."

More interestingly, you didn't realize people on boats were so weirdly religious. The Sailors on the Black Ocean take the Deaths, the new Gods of the world, very seriously. The most common faith in the ocean is the faith of the holy wrath, which teaches that mankind's existence in this world is a just punishment. And that this life is hardship for the next one. You gather in the hold for a ceremony every week- preceded over by your venerable Captain Ahab.
>>
"...And every animal that walks on four legs or two legs or six legs or eight legs, and every creeping beast, and every bird in the sky, and every microbe which doth eyes cannot see, and every fungus that grows in the rain, and every fish in the sea, and all creatures in the soils and skins where my light touches- so sayeth the Creator, will be reviled by you and leave you, and mankind's dominion over them ends now, as I have judged Mankind in these years, and sought them wanting."

The speech is giving you a feeling of dread. Is that... is that really what happened?

"And the Creator of the world broke the covenant with mankind, and death left them, and all in the world would suffer and suffer. And mankind pleaded for the Creator to spare them this cruelty, but he was unmoved. It was only by the grace of one, known as Jesus Christ, who held in his hands the last seeds as the creator swept the world clean, and he gave them to man in his infinite mercy. And to woman, who gave those of barren womb a greater gift- the power to give Death to those who suffer, not in power over them, but in kindness..."

The truth is, these last few months have broadened your horizons greatly. You've spoken to more new people in this time then you have in your whole life, and seen more, and learned more- and during this time you've come to realize something. You idyllic life on the island, harsh and strict as it was, was by no means normal. So many of your crewmates were thrown out of their communities, some were slaves, many are victims of pirates, some are missing eyes and limbs... in a way, you are lucky. Your childhood was just boring; not traumatizing. Perhaps a divine protector, somebody like Jesus, is watching over you too.

You feel as though your life is lacking in spirituality. As you consider this, you feel as though you should thank and pray towards one of the Deaths. But which one?
>The Sun Death
>The Sea Death
>The Scurvy Death
>The Opium Death
>The Lady Deaths
>>
>>6039833
I still don't know what 'Lady Death' even means.
>>
>>6039838
Death from childbirth, I believe.
>>
>>6039842
Well in that case...

>>6039833
>The Sun Death
The most just of all deaths.
>>
>>6039833
>The Sea Death
I feel like this is most appropriate for a sailor
>>
>>6039844
Anon, read the actual descriptions. Sea Death is basically the equivalent of worshipping one of those evil deities. "It offers power but always ends in destruction"
>>
File: BOQ extra LadyDeath.png (49 KB, 900x637)
49 KB
49 KB PNG
>>6039838
You consider what you know about the Deaths...

The Deaths are like Gods, ferrying away the souls of people on their black ships. Each one has dominion over their type of Death, and its natural consequences. Each one is faceless, and unseen.

The Lady Deaths are the exception. Instead of being invisible Gods, singular entities, and being male- the Lady Deaths are risen from human women. Some women are born in the world without the ability to have children, and when those women would become of age, their skin and hair turns very pale and white, their eyes become piercing globes that can see right through you, and they gain the ability to painless and peacefully end the life of those who are suffering, something no other Death will do. While they are human, they also don't need to eat, become totally fearless, without the desire for love, domination, or fear.

It is for this reason that some worship the Lady Deaths, and they are the most central and human of all the Deaths in the Faith of the Holy Wrath. But the Lady Deaths are stretched thin, constantly moving from place to place, able to bring their mercy where they can. Your Aunt is one of them.

But compared to the other deaths? The Lady Deaths are feeble, too-human, and too temporal for their machinations and ways. The other Deaths are far greater, and there are many who worship them, often in secret, in exchange for power...
>>
>>6039833
>>The Scurvy Death
Ye scurvy dogs.
>>
>>6039859
Well, that's pretty cool. Those lady deaths seem interesting, and i'd like us to worship something good, rather than the whole doom and gloom everything sucks stuff, but i'm not too big a fan of being the ultimate simp.
>>
>>6039847
That's the description of the Scurvy Death, the Sea Death description says it best fits sailors
>>
>>6039833
>The Sea Death
Oh I bid farewell to the port and the land...
>>
>>6039833
>The Opium Death
>>
>>6039833
>The Sea Death

I'm >>6038998 and >>6038596
>>
>>6039833
>The Sea Death
>>
>>6039833
>>The Sea Death
>>
>>6039833
>The Opium Death
>>
>>6039833
>The Scurvy Death
>>
>>6039833
>The Sea Death
But secretly
>The Lady Deaths
Cause we ain't dying, we're getting killed. Preferably on our own terms.
>>
Fate, the weather, and the sea... the widest expanse of black. True freedom, in many ways. Maybe that's the reason you feel a connection with the mysterious Death of the Sea. While alone that night swinging in your hammock bed from the rafters in the belly of the ship, you put your hands together and for the first time you pray. You think about all the things you've been given from the sea, a promise to see the wider world, this new diet of boney fish skins and stews- not great but amazing compared to your normal diet of old crackers; and for the good weather. You aren't exactly sure what you're supposed to do, so you just think about the vast ocean you can hear rumbling all around you, past the thin walls of the coralship, and then you whisper.

"Thank you, Sea Death."

Strangely, you feel an inkling of... something. Not necessary like you're being watched, but more like you feel a presence of some kind. It's like you forged some kind of connection, though small and tenuous. It's not the kind of relationship where you can ask anything of... "it", but it feels good to get that off your chest. You fall into a restful, black sleep.

Over the next few weeks, the captain of the vessel drives the crew towards a new fishing grounds he believes will be profitable. You just so happen to be in the crow's nest, atop of the pillar-coral that makes up the main sail of your vessel, when you spot it. There is a spray in the distance, and a flipper. No way.

"W-Whale! Whale whale! It's a blow! WHALE OFF PORT-SIDE!"

The flurry of the crew was instant and immense. This is the first time the ship has spotted a whale since you've boarded, and you spotted it! What luck! Could this be the work of the Sea-Death? Or is this just random chance...?
>>
You climb down as fast as you can to aide in the spearing. The whale won't stay at the surface long, so the need for speed is immense. You and many other harpooners jump into a small boat and are unceremoniously dropped into the black ocean. Being in the smaller ship makes you feel nervous, but it's the only way to get reasonably close enough.

The whalers prepare their harpoons. Your goal now is to hold on and weaken the beast with your points, cables and ropes to prevent it from diving and evading capture. Bleeding the whale is your best bet, which is why you work in small teams. Whales are one of the most valuable catches on the open ocean, as almost every part of them is valuable. Their skin make some of the finest clothing, their blubber and oils useful for making power when wind isn't available, and the meat is delectable... or so you've been told. After all, you've never been in the position to have any. But their main value is their bones, which make up the skeleton of every sailing ship on the sea. Experienced coralmen, like your father, use them all the time in their work, and are required to not only build ships, but can even make them “grow”.

The small boat advances on the surfaced creature, and with a few harpoon throws, it is wounded. The whale instantly begins to twist in agony, showing its pain in only a way an aquatic beast can, before starting to take off away from the ship.

“Hold tight lad-” a friendly older sailor says, though he can't hide the look of worry on his face. “It's taking us away from the ship so we can't be rescued as easily...”
”Wh-What?!”

Suddenly, out of nowhere, the small boat lurches with an impact. The whale turned around, slamming the ship from beneath. The beast is nowhere near the size of the great leviathans you have heard of, but it's white body shimmers under the black surface of the sea as a lurking promise of death. You suddenly feel like you never should have left dry land.

You throw your harpoon, and miss. Drat. You kneel down to pull it back up, then, the boat lurches downwards, as though the whale is trying to dive.

“Pull! Pull up you ingrates! Don't let it get free!”

And then you go airborne.

The whale slams into the bottom of the ship with a full speed impact of its great head, the brittle corals shattering from its off-centered impact. Several crewmen, including the older sailor, are thrown overboard to their great panic. You only were spared because you were kneeling down to the base of the boat on all fours, your center of gravity was low enough to avoid being knocked into the water. The boat is sinking now.
>>
File: BOQ post5.png (98 KB, 900x637)
98 KB
98 KB PNG
You make a feeble effort to try and pull out one of the sailors, but they're too far away now, and you become painfully aware of your own precarious position. The boat is in shambles, but the main body is mostly intact, and boyant enough to keep you up. Suddenly, a white head breaches the water and slams down, tipping the boat towards the sea as its great weight pushes the boat down at an angle, you begin to slide.

The whale isn't even bothering with the sailors in the water. It's almost like the whale knows that humans cannot swim. It somehow knew you were up on the safety of the small pontoon, and snaps its myriad of sharp teeth. Your body reacts faster then your mind, your legs pinned to the upper and lower jaws, fumbling with your barely-retrieved harpoon.

The whale bellows a steam of black-water-spray from its blowhole as if in frustration. You look at the beast, and then you see them. It's hateful red eyes. The eyes of the whale are like nothing you've ever seen before. The eyes show a great and deep intellect. It is very much like looking into the eyes of a man, but these eyes are filled with hate. It shivers you to your core to behold them, to lock eyes with this monster of the sea that hated you more then you can even imagine, hated the very fact of your existence, hated you from before you were born and will hate you after your death. This whale is not acting out of self preservation. It is acting out of spite. You can find no other explanation in your mind that explains its behavior. It isn't eating the sailors in the water or trying to get away or even trying to knock loose the harpoons in its back by slamming into the nearest solid object. It's doing this because it hates you.

You raise your harpoon. This will be the moment you kill this beast. But it doesn't come without a cost. What is it that you lose?
>A Foot
>Most of the fingers on one hand
>An eye
>Half of your face
>>
>>6040600
>Half of your face
>>
>>6040600
>An eye
>>
>>6040600
>Half of my face
I like the description for the whale.
>>
>>6040600
>An eye
So we can wear an eyepatch, of course.
>>
>>6040600
>A Foot

Anons you are officially gay if you don’t go for the peg leg option
>>
>>6040610
Peglegs don't really work
>>
>>6040600
>Half of your face

>>6039941 is me.
>>
>>6040600
>A Foot
>>
>>6040609
Support. I love eyepatches
>>
>>6040600
>A Foot

An eye can see, a hand can grasp, a face can express. All you need to do with a foot is stand on it; and you could get an ACTUAL prosthetic (perhaps made of coral or creature-bone?) rather then some stupid peg.
>>
>>6040600
>A Foot
We can even install a canon pegleg!
>>
>>6040600
Red eyes, sharp teeth? Great, mutant whales
>An eye
>>
>>6040600
>A Foot
>>
>>6041117
They remind me of ancient toothed whales, or even mosasaurs, mixed with belugas
>>
>>6040600
>Most of the fingers on one hand
>>
File: BOQ post6 p1.png (121 KB, 900x637)
121 KB
121 KB PNG
You are fighting for your life against this whale, and as it pushes its weight down on the remainder of the boat, you keep slipping towards its mouth. Finally, your foot slips inside of the monster's maw, and it chomps close. You feel an electric shock of pain go through your body as you feel the dagger-like teeth of the whale pierce so very hard, going through your skin, flesh, and bone. Its powerful jaws instantly mulching your foot right above the ankle.

"GGRRAAAHHH!!!

The pain is intense. In a fit of rage, and as a desperate bid to survive, you raise your harpoon and stab it once, twice, in its blubbery head, and your reward are pitiful spurts of blood. Then, its hateful eye meets yours again. Its lips, coated in your hot blood, almost curl up in a smirk. You pull your harpoon back and jam it right into that hateful red orb with all your strength, and you feel your javelin break through the wet eye, and you twirl the javelin as hard as you can, hoping to pierce some connections. The whale thrashes, your leg in even worse pain and no doubt torn to shreds. You scream and stab and stab in a frenzy, and finally, the beast stops moving.

Two more harpoons hastily fly and stab its back from above; you realize now that the big ship has caught up to the small boat, the Sweaty and its crew looking down in amazement at your catch.

“The Whale! He's got it! Quick, get him up!” Captain Ahab roars. He didn't say “they”, and you already know what that means. You fall back on the deck from the blood lose and fall unconscious.

You wake up in your hanging cot late at night, your leg bandaged up. Unfortunately, it's merely a stump. You reach for it, feeling immense pain, only for the captain to chide you. He was sitting by your hammock in vigil that night, and is likely the one to bandage you up.
>>
“You'll be alright lad.”
”My... my leg... no...”
“Better then those sorry souls who slipped into the water. There was no saving them from the Sea-Death...”
”Did- Did you at least get the whale?”

The captain laughs, giving you a punch on the shoulder.

“Haha! Your first whale; not only spotted the damn thing, and killed it, but now you wanna make sure after all that we still got it! I knew I saw a good Whaler in you, lad!”
”But... I won't be able to walk.”
“Pssh. Never seen a peg-legged pirate? You really were sheltered. Don't worry, I got a crewman shaving some pillar coral right from the mast for ye, you'll be right as rain soon enough. Also, I got something for you.”

Pulling out a sack, he gives you a handful of Pearls. Money. You see a bunch of white ones, some big ones, a black and a pink one. This is a lot of money. You're a bit shocked. Your father was one of the richest men on your island, and you never saw this money in one place at once. You guess he probably wouldn't make this much in a whole year, maybe more, depending on business.

“That's ye bonus for spotting the whale; keeps the crew motivated. Plus your share for the catch. Oh- and don't worry, we got plenty of meat still. I saved ye a slice.”

It was the best meal you ever had.

Over the next Six Years, you grow from a young boy into a man. You learn all about sailing, tying knots, the creatures of the sea, whaling, hunting, learning the signs of the weather, manging a rowdy crew. Your hair and beard grow out, and despite walking on a peg leg, you stand tall and strong. Because you learned the harpoon studied whaling, your diet is much improved over the average sailor or landlubber on the black sea, and you grow taller and stronger then most men.
>>
File: BOQ post6 p2.png (84 KB, 900x671)
84 KB
84 KB PNG
During that time, you become close with many men on the ship, as well as its great Captain Ahab. You hide away all the pearls you earn; and instead of spending them in the opium dens and whorehouses on your shore leave like the other crewmembers, you set yours aside for your dream, and your father's dream.

The Pink Lady. You will be her Captain. It's your ship after all!

The next time you sail near the Island of Guyot, you tell Captain Ahab. He nods sagely.

“Aye lad... Sad to see you go. But I knew you had bigger dreams then the other small minds on this ships, not their next meal or next adventure in the brothel. I never had children myself, so I feel like passing on my wisdom to you is the next best thing.”
”Thank you, Cap'n. You've taken great care of me. But I have to ask... you aren't upset? I might become your competition on the high seas.”
He laughs. “That's the first time you've ever said some blowhard shit to me, boy. Don't you dare repeat it. You'll never be in my league. Even if you fly a black flag and become a damn pirate, I wouldn't be scared one bit.”
”...Even when I take Bones?”
“None of my real crew would ever leave me. So take the damn landlubbers off the ship with you, if anything you'd be doing me a favor!”

You share a moment. The captain has always been kind to you, though both he and the first mate of the ship are young and close enough that you aren't likely to be promoted for either position, hence one of the reasons you are choosing to leave. But he's always been patient, answered your question, was fair with the discipline and the work. You think of him a bit like your second father. You also may never see him again. On your last day before returning to your home, you get a few chances to ask the Captain for some valuable advice. What should you ask him?

Note- You may ask up to five questions total. Each player may ask one question, and it is first come first serve. Repeat questions or dumb write-ins will not be answered.

Ask him about...
>A Death (Specify)
>That "Deathless" thing everyone whispers about
>The Navy
>If you can get your leg back
>How to find whales
>Becoming a Pirate
>Best ways to get Pearls
>Easy ways to get Pearls
>Resupplying
>How to hire the best crew
>What places to visit
>What places to avoid
>Protecting your ship
>Other (Write-In)
>>
>>6041330
>That "Deathless" thing everyone whispers about
Whot is it?

I reccomend following players to ask about The Navy, the Best Way to get Pearls, What places to visit/avoid and protecting yer ship.
>>
>>6041330
>What places to avoid
Wisdom of not dying
>>
Also, fun thing i noticed. For some time i thought that maybe part of the reason why was shit and the ocean was black because of some shit that basically made it into the Dead Sea, but if people are literally unable to even swim, then that means it's not a case of the sea being too salty.
>>
>>6041330
>How to hire the best crew
>>
>>6041330
>How to find whales
>>
>>6041330
>Protecting your ship

Tempted to go with resupplying but we have giga-cash to spend so it’ll be fine.
>>
>>6041339
>>6041346
>>6041376
>>6041383
>>6041419
Welp, that's five. Good spread, though.
>>
Using your relationship to gain more knowledge, you pry the captain for his juiciest "pearls".

>>6041339
He is visibly nervous at the name, shaking his head.

"Accursed souls who cannot die... yet they revel in it. They spit on the Deaths and humanity alike. They are monstrous, all of the Faithful know. Thankfully, they mostly stick to the mountains and mainland deserts, the great emptiness, from beyond the borders of the Ocean. Nothing good to be gained from them, unless you be a Sorcerer of the Deaths, but I know you've got a better head then that, lad."

>>6041346
"Depends on the time and place. The pirate strongholds are safe as can be when they aren't desperate for plunder, the navy flotilla is safe as long as you aren't doing something they consider "illegal", and islands are safest during storms. But for me? The Bug Island. Only go there to buy their wares and then leave. Word of advice lad, if you see a bunch of shiny, delicious-looking eggs just out of the water, they be there for a reason. Just move on."

>>6041376
"If you want cheap, expendable crew, go to rural little homely islands. They'll always be some dumb lad desperate to leave home." He looks at you for a full second, a smile spreading to his lips.

"But more serious; the most experienced sailors are whalers and fishermen, as they never stop moving. The most bloodthirsty sailors and best fighters are pirates, often skulking in their strongholds. Just know that the greatest trait in a crewman is loyalty, which can't nae be bought..."

>>6041383
"Ye is a whaler, right? You should have learned that already, lad."

You realize pretty soon what he means. You did learn a lot about studying the movements of the fishy creatures, but more important, any secret tricks that the captain may have known he isn't privy to share. This is still his primary form of income and livelihood, and as much as he likes you, there may not be quite enough to go around. This was a bit of a wasted question. Unfortunately, but hey, no hard feelings.

>>6041419
"New Captains spend pearl after pearl arming their ship and crews with all sorts of arms and powders and this and that... but remember, the greatest danger to a sailing ship is the sea itself. Bad weather, upkeep, hitting a low sandbar, the hull 'fested with all sorts of wildlife, and things trying to live below your decks. These will be your greatest dangers to your ship. But keeping all that in mind... Have a good mix of cannons to keep enemy ships at bay and weapons aboard to arm your crew for when you get boarded. Not if. Oh, and one last thing, cannons are better if you're the one in pursuit. You'll find that, if the summers are bad, whalers, merchants, explorers, pirates... you'll scarcely be able to tell the difference. Savvy?"
>>
File: BOQ post7.png (86 KB, 900x637)
86 KB
86 KB PNG
You finally return to the Island of Guyot after all these years. What a sight to behold! The tiny port welcomes the Sweaty with the hope of fresh caught fish or other valuable trade goods- but strangely, another ship is already docked. It's sailing white flags, which means they would have a Lady Death aboard. Why would one of them be here?

---

Your father, the Coralman, suffered an accident. The splinters of fire coral that he handled found their way into his veins, and up towards his heart. He cannot speak anymore, but he can listen and feel as all the near-dying do. He has been denied the other deaths- and lays unmoving in his bed.

"Normally, we follow in the path of wars of slaver campaigns... But when I got the news, I had to come."

Your Aunt, one of the Lady Deaths, has come to relieve your father's suffering. She moves to embrace you, but you flinch.

"Is it safe to touch you, Lady Death?"
"Do you truly wish to stop living? Are you ready to pass on?"
"No."
"Then I cannot hurt you if I tried. Come."

You hug her. She is cold. The timing couldn't be more perfect, but the moment is still sad. You feel guilty; not even a week ago you were partying with the lads over a recent catch, all while your father was suffering for months since his accident. It is clear he is not going to recover, this is the fate for all the unfortunates who do not die gruesomely enough to sate the thirst of the Deaths. Now, it comes down to mercy. Your mother is crying at seeing her Sister's all white eyes, but she seems happy too. She tells you that the Pink Lady was just finished before the accident, and your father couldn't be prouder. It is time to say goodbye.

>Promise to become a great Captain
>Tell him you'll take care of Mother
>Thank him for finishing the Lady
>Say nothing

You also now have a chance to change your name. With your Father soon to be gone, your new identity will no longer be tied to parenthood. Of course, Sylvester will always be your real name, but you will be the captain of your own ship. What name do you wish to choose?
>Captain Sylvester is fine
>Captain Sly
>Captain Redbeard
>Other (Write In)
>>
>>6041823
>Captain Sylvester is fine
>>
>>6041823
He said he wanted to sail, right? This is what we do to make him know we'll keep that dream.

As for the name...I kinda like Redbeard. But I'm not sure.
>>
>>6041825
Support
>>
>>6041823
>Other (Write In)
Take Father's given name. He always wanted to sail the Pink Lady. In some way, he will.
>>
>>6041823
>Captain Redbeard
For the Son to surpass the Father is the best gift
>>
>>6041830
+1
>>
>>6041830
+1

Though we could take it as if a surname. If our father's name was somehow just 'Coralman', we'd be Captain Sylvester Coralman.
>>
>>6041823
>Captain Redbeard
"Sylvester" just doesn't sit right as a name for a ship's captain.
>>
>>6041830
>+1
>>
>>6041823
>>
"...I'll sail the Black Sea dad. I'll see the sights, and I'll be a great captain. Just like you wanted."

He looks at you with all the contemplation of a dead man. But you know he heard you. His eyes roll in his head in apparent joy, but then they focus on your Aunt. It is time.

You're almost overcome with emotion, but you don't leave the room. You don't see this every day. Your Aunt leans in and whispers to your Father, and he seems to communicate with his breath. Then, she takes his hand and puts a hand on his chest, and he goes quiet. He is no longer breathing. His eyes are closed and his face looks relieved. He is dead. You thank your Aunt, who accepts no payment for this either way, but especially not from family.

"...By the way, I have something for you."

Your aunt hands you a sack of something clinking and metal. You think it might be shot, but the objects within are too rounded. You pull one out, and see a small metal disc made of some metal you can't identify. One on side is a face, the other, a building or monument.

"What are these?"
"They are coins. Once, they were used as money."
"Not quite as pretty as pearls I'd say..."
"These are not ordinary coins. They are blessed with luck, and fate seems to hold them in its hand. But each can only be used once; then you must discard it into the sea or else its luck will turn sour. I have been holding on to them as an heirloom, but the longer I have been one of the Lady Deaths, the less I've had need of it. We know things. Keep great care of these coins, young Sylvester, as I can see into your future dimly, and I know that you will never find others like them."

From now on whenever you have a random chance roll, you may now choose to add a lucky coin to the roll.
>>6037584
Instead of rolling a 1d2, you will roll a 2d2, with at least one die rolling a one counting as a success to your roll. This will expend a lucky coin if you succeed the roll or not.

You have Six lucky coins.
>>
File: BOQ post8.png (107 KB, 900x641)
107 KB
107 KB PNG
Your father is dead, but in you he will live on. You've decided to take his name. Your Father's name was Richard. But... Captain Richard? Really? Not Redbeard? Not Captain Sly? It doesn't exactly inspire fear, or confidence.

As you grab your purse of pearls, you consider your background. You were quite fortunate. Your father also left a considerable inheritance for you, his savings for outfitting the Pink Lady, and your career as a Whaler also certainly helped. Many young people become sailors out of desperation. Being able to join a crew and work in exchange for food, sweetwater, and protection from threats is for many an enviable position. You mostly joined out of some childish desire for freedom and self-actualization. Most would consider you upper class. That's it. Captain Rich.

Your crew is made up of a good mix; Everett, still living on the island and just the same as he's always been, excited to see the world, along with Bones, your steadfast companion aboard the Sweaty. Besides them, you have a small collection of random islanders from the island of Guyott, a few whalers, and some others who would be interested in joining a new crew. It's small, but it will pilot the Lady. The first order of business is to assign roles.

Aboard a sailing ship, the Captain is the head of the operation, but there are others who are almost as important. The first is the First-Mate, who is in charge of discipline, managing the men, and the confidant of the captain. He will be the second in command and most important choice, the most important aspect here is social ability and trustworthiness, as if anyone will mutineer your ship- it would be a dissatisfied First Mate.

The second role that needs filling in your new crew is that of the Quartermaster, the manager of your stocks, food, Sweetwater, sails, shots, and other equipment. Even a small crew needs a level headed and observant quartermaster to manage their supplies and make sure not to forget anything important.

Among these men, you'll have to pick two to fill these roles. Who will you assign to what?
>First-Mate
>Quartermaster

You can assign;
>Everett
>Bones
>Pick a random crewman you don't know as well and hope they're good & trustworthy (Chance)
>>
>>6042685
>RANDOM CREW MEMBER the Quartermaster
>Bones the First Mate
Fuck you Everett, we will never let you handle the precious cargo with your fat butterfingers.
>>
>>6042678
Oh shit, a limited resource. Time for the players to refuse to ever use it for anything, ever, to the very end of the quest. Kek.

>>6042685
Captain Richie Rich, more like!

>First-Mate = Bones
He knows ship-life

>Quartermaster = Everett
Assuming we know he has some measure of aptitude for it.

>>6042689
Aww, come on, anon. it's been years! Surely he learned from his youthful blunder and has been very careful ever since?
>>
>>6042685
Question, does Everett know literally anything about being Quartermaster? I feel like this is something we should be able to ask him.

Bones...well, it's pretty obvious right? He's the Skilled option, but also the one most likely to mutiny.
>>
>>6042689
+1

Everret your a slimy fuck. You can and you entire family line can get eaten by a whale. Fuck you, Fuck you, Fuck you, FUCK YOU.
>>
>>6042685
>First Mate: Random Crewman
>Quartermaster: Random Crewman
I propose we use two of the coins at the outset, to spite wisdom and the obvious choices.
>>
Oh I forgot to mention, whenever you choose a random Choice prompt you should also specify in your vote if you want to use a lucky coin or not. the lucky coin will only be used if the majority of players want to use one if that vote wins.
>>
>>6042685
>First-Mate
Everett. He may be clumsy, but we need someone we can trust until we’re confident in our safety from mutiny. He doesn’t have to be a permanent first-mate.
>Quartermaster
Bones.
>>
>>6042689
>+1 to This and use a lucky coin
>>
>>6042689
>>6042742
>Use a lucky coin on RANDOM CREWMEMBER
Whoever we get in this position is probably going to stay with us for a while. Let's tip the odds for a competent guy in this important choice.
>>
>>6042685
Far right, back row. Look at that magnificent hat. Looks like a newsie, right? I hope we get that guy as our random pick. Surely he is a boss.
>>
>>6042689
Support
>>
>>6042685
First mate, Everett.
Quartermaster, Bones.
>>
I still think it's dumb we can't even just ask Everett if he has any knowledge of quartermastering. There's literally no reason other than wanting to trap us in a 'gotcha' if we 'choose wrong'
>>
>>6043328
I think we can safely assume he doesn't, sicne I don't think he's ever sailed. Hopefully he knows some basics of resource management by now.
>>
>>6043333
Well he did something in those years, didn't he? Maybe he would be good at it because he was managing his family farm or something. We don't know. Becuase we can't ask him that until we choose.
>>
>>6043336
Or maybe he became an even bigger screwup.
>>
>>6043398
Well, that's why asking would be good
>>
>>6042697
Yea
>Use lucky coin
>>
Rolled 1, 2 = 3 (2d2)

While Everett is your childhood friend, you don't know how much he really knows about Sea Life. Bones is a senior crewman and always helpful to you, as well as having some experience in leadership. You decide to make him your first mate. But before making the choice to elect one of the yet to be known crewmembers to be the Quartermaster, you decide to flip one of the lucky coins to see if luck is on your side...
>>
>>6043480
Let's GO
>>
File: BOQ post9.png (87 KB, 900x637)
87 KB
87 KB PNG
You give a handful of pearls to your new Quartermaster, a man named Squint, to handle the supplies. He seemed to have done something like this before on a voyage, and as such he doesn't waste many pearls. Food and basic supplies are pretty cheap anyway, it's just the Sweetwater that will be a problem... You end up giving him about 20 pearls to hopefully outfit the crew as much as you will need.

While the island of Guyot is small and isolated, there is still a general store to buy many useful things, especially for incoming ships. Your father once did the repairs and built the ships, but the Dockmaster has his own stores. You've considered milking what relationships you have here for all they are worth; but truthfully you can't expect a serious discount. You will be launching a ship like any other. This is the kind of business the locals rely on.

Visiting the Dockmaster's ship supply, you see a large selection of goods and items. As with any port, items can be used by the ship or traded and the price of items depends on where you buy or sell them. While small, the store here has all the basic necessities you could need, plus a few extras... Your budget from your years as a whaler plus your father's inheritance means you have quite a bit to spend. What are you going to buy?

You have 200 Pearls to Spend.
>Small Cannon 20p
>Medium Cannon 35p
>Sail Patch 20p
>Extra Sail 80p
>Quality Musket 5p
>Rifled Musket 8p
>Pistol 4p
>Repair Powder (made of whale bones) 15p
>Axe 2p
>Cutlas 15p
>Hammock 3p

Ammunition
>Worm Crate (All powder and shot needed for small arms for one major fight) 4p
>Standard Cannon Ball 1p
>Grapeshot Cluster 2p
>Powder Bag (Enough for ~5 cannon shots) 4p

Trade Goods take up significant space in the cargo hold. The Pink Lady has enough space for three total trade goods.
>Beachgrass Seed Crate 10p
>Sweetwater Glass Jug 100p
>Assorted Small Corals- Free (1 available)
>>
>>6043501
Very important question, how many gunports does the Pink Lady have?
>>
>>6043505
Also, do we need to buy Sweetwater glass jug to not die of scurvy?
>>
>>6043501
>2x Small Cannon (40p)
>2x Sail Patch (40p)
>5x Pistol (20p)
>2x Repair Power (30p)
>10x Axe (20p)
>2x Worm Cate (8p)
>2x Powder Bag (8p)
>10x Standard Cannon Ball (10p)
>Beach Grass Seed Grate (10p)
>Assorted Small Corals (Free)

186 Pearls total leaving 14 pearls as savings. Expensive but with this our ship should have everything it needs except hammocks really. But I doubt a brand new crew is going to care too much about it.
>>
>>6043510
No, that is what your Quartermaster does. the idea is a higher skill or more trustworthy Quartermaster can reduce the cost your basic up to keep. This jug instead is more just for trading, but you could totally use it to keep your crew supplied for a very long time.

>>6043505
I haven't drawn it yet. but it's basically a small sloop so I don't think you're going to be able to fully stock of a cannons with your amount of money anyway.
>>
>>6043531
Okay well in that case

>>6043516
That's a lot of stuff, but what are we gonna do to actually get money? I imagine that we already get Harpoons for free since they're not an option.
>>
>>6043501
>Small Cannon x 2
>Medium Cannon x 2
>Sail patch
>Repair powder
>Axe x 2
>Hammock
>Worm Crate x 2
>Cannonballs x 10
>Grapeshot Cluster x2
>Powder Bag x 2
>Beachgrass Seed Crate
>Assorted Small Corals

If I didn't screw the pooch on math, should be 190.
>>
>>6043532
I imagine whaling and trading mostly.
>>
>>6043537
Lots of cannons for defense but we’d be absolutely screwed if we ever got boarded and our old captain gave the advice cannons are better in pursuit, so unless we decide to attack people it might not be the best way to defend ourselves.
>>
>>6043501
>2x Small Cannon 20p
>Sail Patch 20p
>10x Quality Musket 5p
>Repair Powder (made of whale bones) 15p
>10x Axe 2p
>10x Hammock 3p
>Worm Crate (All powder and shot needed for small arms for one major fight) 4p
>10x Standard Cannon Ball 1p
>2x Beachgrass Seed Crate 10p
>Assorted Small Corals- Free
I’d my math is correct, that leaves us with 11 pearls.
>>
>>6043548
+1

I’ll switch. I guess we don’t need two spares on our first outing for repair items.
>>
>>6043548
You forgot powder to fire those cannonballs.

>>6043501

>0 Small Cannon 20p
>1 Medium Cannon 35p
>2 Sail Patch 20p
>0 Extra Sail 80p
>0 Quality Musket 5p
>1 Rifled Musket 8p
>4 Pistol 4p (one each for us, and Bones, Squint, and Everett)
>1 Repair Powder (made of whale bones) 15p
>9 Axe 2p
>0 Cutlass 15p
>10 Hammock 3p (taking on passengers could be an option)

Ammunition
>1 Worm Crate (All powder and shot needed for small arms for one major fight) 4p
>3 Standard Cannon Ball 1p
>2 Grapeshot Cluster 2p
>1 Powder Bag (Enough for ~5 cannon shots) 4p

Trade Goods take up significant space in the cargo hold. The Pink Lady has enough space for three total trade goods.
>2 Beachgrass Seed Crate 10p
>0 Sweetwater Glass Jug 100p
>1 Assorted Small Corals- Free (1 available)
197 pearls spent 3 remain
>>
>>6043577
Ah, right. My mistake.
>>6043548
Add this to the list.
>2x Powder Bag (Enough for ~5 cannon shots) 4p
Now that leaves 3 pearls.
>>
While deciding your PURCHASE, you overhear and mentally note a few things...

>"The CRAB GROUNDS might be far, but are a fantastic place to make use of those Picks. Be warned the turnover rate of crew is VERY HIGH."

>"Weapons can fetch a GOOD PRICE in places where people USE THEM."

>"SAILORS are superstitious for a reason. Never forget the DEATHS. And nothing pleases the deaths more then stopping the DEATHLESS."

>"GOOD TEETH ISLAND is named for its people's teeth, but they stay alive with its POWDER."

>"They cheapest places to buy things are going to be WHERE THEY ARE MADE."

>"Nobody in the Sea likes the FRUIT BARONS. Everyone still buys from them, because they are FORCED TO. If all you care about is pearls, then be like the Fruit Barons."

>"Avoid the NAVY FLOTILLA if you're carrying any contraband, or if your crew is a LITTLE QUEER."

>"The STAR ISLANDS are where you can sell slaves and salvage. Depending on the season and how much rain they get, they may PAY MORE for one then the other."
>>
Currently all three shopping lists are tied with votes (one each?) so I'll just have to pick one at random or try to combine them without a greater consensus.
>>
>>6043918
I have absolutely no idea, mate. I'd try making my own but that'd just add a 4th option.
>>
>>6043918
>>6043548/>>6043584 has a +1 (>>6043555), and I'll switch to back ot as well.
>>
>>6043737
>>"Avoid the NAVY FLOTILLA if you're carrying any contraband, or if your crew is a LITTLE QUEER."
You hear that Everett? You better watch out for the Navy, boy!

>>6043584
>I'll also support this, its pretty good.
>>
Dealing with the "event" IRL, sorry for the delay. I'll be posting when I become more motivated. Thanks for sticking with it. I won't ask if you're enjoying the quest yet because we only now got out of char gen lol
>>
>>6044501
I hope you're ok bananas.
Didn't took part in the nitpicking shoping list vote because this is not a thing I enjoy in my quest, but still following eagerly this thread
>>
>>6044501
Damn QM curse, good luck Bananas. What am I going to do if the only GOOD fantasy quest on the board dies.
>>
>>6044501
Take care of yourself.
>>
>>6044501
Good luck. Also: if you were to ask, the answer is yes.
>>
File: BOQ post10 shitmap.png (99 KB, 900x637)
99 KB
99 KB PNG
You decide to buy some things for your ship and crew, buying two small cannons, which can be carried by a strong man and fired from the deck on a swivel or shot below decks, some powder and shot, more then enough muskets and axes, hammocks for comfort, and some beachgrass seeds as well as your father's corals, plus some other stuff.

"Squint, how goes it?" You say.
"With the money you gave me for supplies, we have about two weeks worth of supplies In Sweetwater and Saltcakes. It's not much, but that's less 'cuz of the budget and more because the ship is full up and can't carry that much. Though i suppose we could just eat some of the beachgrass seeds if we got stranded."
"Ayy, let's not have that happen on our first voyage. That should be enough to reach a friendly port..."

You talk to your First-Mate, Bones, and ask him about navigation. He tells you he doesn't know much. Uh oh. Maybe you could have seen this coming...

Truthfully, you don't have a great grasp of the sea, nor do you have a quality map, as such, one scrawled by a local will have to do. It's not much and 100% inaccurate, but everything here is within a nearby sailing distance. You also won't be able to know how fast you can travel without a sextant or how to sail beyond eyesight of islands without a compass.

Where would you like to go?
>Good Teeth Island
>Mistress Island
>To the Fruit Barons
>To the Green Waters
>Head in a direction (specify)
>>
>>6045283
>Mistress Island

Let's go to Mistress island, we've gotten some info on everything near except the green waters through eavesdropping. Getting a good grasp of what each island in the area's specialty is always good. It's also on the way to the Fruit Barons which I'm curious about
>>
>>6045318
Yeah, sure. We can get our bearings and start working on a better map, too.

>>6045283
>Mistress Island
>>
>>6045318
That's cool and all man, but we're going to need to make pearls to resupply.
>>
>>6045346
We have trade goods if we absolutely need cash and I'm guessing the trip to mistress island is at most two days given the map. We have two weeks of supplies to use up and information is worth it's weight in pearls. And who say we can't make money on Mistress Island anways?
>>
>>6045351
We're whalers, right? At least as a starting profession.
>>
>>6045283
>Mistress Island
>>
>>6045283
>Mistress Island
>>
>>6045283
>Mistress island
Do some whaling and try to recruit a navagator.
>>
>>6045283
>Mistress Island
>>
>>6045353
We can whale on the way.
>>
>>6046115
>No coin & chance it
>>
File: BOQ post11.png (106 KB, 900x637)
106 KB
106 KB PNG
The Pink Lady majestically sets sail for the first time out of the port of Guyot; with you at her bow!

Your father's craftsmanship is at least proven by the fact it doesn't sink immediately. That's a plus.

It is a small ship. The sail is the most expensive part, as all sails are made of human hair, fish ligaments, and hagfish slime threads woven into translucent fibers. Your sail is practically brand new, no patches or repairs with age needed, and as such it appears as a nice clean sheet. The ship main hull is built from sturdy branch corals, with large ones making up the mast and tiller, holes kept open for gunports below with flaps built of yet another type of jagged but sturdy pink corals. You think it's quite a fine ship. The below deck is cramped, with not much room for the crew. You are quite glad that you decided to buy hammocks, as sleeping on the rocking and wet floor sounds like it would suck pretty bad. Thankfully, the ship is so new that no bad smells have ingrained themselves in the corals down here; it's not like the Sweaty in the least!

But up here, on the deck, with the wind in your face- you feel so free and accomplished. You can go anywhere, do anything you wish... but for now, let's focus on the journey at hand. Mistress isn't very far, and should only take two days journey, actually less, if the map is as inaccurate as you think it is. Surely, in the quiet waters between the two islands, there is no chance anything bad is going to happen to you... right?

At sea, every ship hoists a flag from their highest mast. The color of the flag determines their stance and communicates to all other nearby ships their intentions. It's impossible to tell a pirate ship to a trader to some humble fishermen- and going without a flag is seen as dishonest and likely means you are criminals on the run. These flags are made of human hair, and each color of hair has a different meaning...

What color of flag do you want to wave?
>Black (We are going to attack you- the pirate flag)
>Blonde/Brown (We are willing to trade)
>White (We are carrying a Lady Death of other passengers)
>Red (If you attack us, we'll attack you, do not approach)

[The next update will also contain a random encounter roll. Decide if you wish to use a lucky coin]
>Use lucky coin
>No coin & chance it
>>
>>6046121
>No coin & chance it
>>
>>6046121
>>Blonde/Brown (We are willing to trade)

>No coin & chance it
>>
Rolled 33 (1d100)

>>6046121
>>
>>6046121
>No coin & chance it
>>
>>6046121
>No coin & chance it
>>
>>6046121
>>Blonde/Brown (We are willing to trade)
>>No coin & chance it
>>
>>6046121
>No coin & chance it
>>
>>6046121
>No coin & chance it
>>
Rolled 2 (1d2)

>>
File: BOQ post12.png (63 KB, 900x637)
63 KB
63 KB PNG
On your way to Mistress, about midmorning after your sleep and a rotating watch, the crew hoists a yellowed flag to the top mast, indicating your stance and hostility. Being willing to trade could lead to more opportunities.

"Not that we have much to trade..." Everett says.
"We have grass seeds, many small islands need a supply for their farming if the soil quality is poor. Not everywhere is the same as Guyot."
"I did not know that."
"Plus if another ship is damaged or small, it may need some of my father's corals to help them repair."
"Though if we run across a damaged ship, it may be wise to take full advantage. After all, they wouldn't be very able to run or fight back."

You look at Bones. He's a bit more pragmatic, but his cruelty and implication of turning to piracy at the first sign of convenience... you don't much like it. But at the same time, you can't fault him for his logic.

Soon, you see another ship sailing nearby. You think it might be coming from Mistress Isle as well, but as it turns towards you, you wonder if it has the idea to trade as well. It is flying a yellow flag. Suddenly, as it breaches a wave, you realize the yellow flag has been lowered, and replaced with a black flag.

"Shit! Pirates!"

The enemy ship is larger then yours, a two masted affair. They likely have a larger crew and more guns, but you can never be sure. If they are pirates and have had a recent engagement, they may be weakened. The black flag is raised specifically for the purpose of intimidation, but also as a form of communication. If you surrender, they'll go easy on you. You know by the way they are sailing closer and not firing their guns, they likely don't want to get into a fight.

"Captain, what should we do?!"

>Fire Cannons
>Run
>Surrender
>>
>>6047199
>Fire Cannons
Fuck it, we ball. Take advantage of their wariness.
>>
>>6047199
Question, Bananas, is the enemy ship some manner of Caravel? If they only have square sails like in the picture, then although they may have more masts, we'd be far more vulnerable, and capable of going upwind and easily escaping.
>>
>>6047207
What im trying to say is that if the Pirate Ship is square-rigged, then all we need to do is sail Upwind to escape them, or at least at a high enough wind angle that they'd have a hard time climbing. Two masts isn't going to be enough to make ul for the fact that we have a Triangular-rigged sail.
>>
>>6047207
>>6047218
Good thinking.

>>6047199
>Run
>>
>>6047199
>>Run
Zoinks!
>>
>>6047199
>Run
>>
>>6047199
>Fire Cannons
>>
>>6047199
>Run
>>
>>6047199
>Run

We don't know what their crew is like, but we have the faster ship.
>>
>>6047690
We have the more maneuverable ship*

In a downwind, they are way faster thanks to having two sails. On an upwind, their square rigged sails are worse.
>>
>>6047199
>Fire Cannons
>>
File: BOQ post13.png (64 KB, 900x637)
64 KB
64 KB PNG
"Let's run- quick! Sail against the wind at an angle. We can cut it better then they can!"
"S-Sail against the wind? Wha-"

Due to your relative lack of skill in sailing, and not having the most skilled crew, you find that trying to cut the wind at a sharp angle is very difficult. You can't get away quick enough before a cannon shot rings out. Across the water you hear a woosh and then instinctively duck down as you hear a loud crack.

"Chain shot! Our mast is immobilized!"

The pirates managed to sneak within range and then firing a single shot- enough to knock out your ship's sail. It's a specialized type of ammunition made of heavy chains that whip through the air and are designed to wrap around and break tall and thin structures- exactly like a sail. You can't get away now.

"Captain! They're going to board us!"
"Damn... bring up the muskets!"

Whenever a fight breaks out, you have a choice of options. Every option will result in casualities among your crew, starting with your nameless generic crew first, before moving to named characters, and then yourself. While every choice results in causalities, some are better then others given the situation. What do you order the crew to do?

>Charge!
>Skirmish
>Form a line and fire volley
>Insult & Threaten
>Surrender
>>
>>6048049
Okay, I don't think that that's how sailing works, and you would think that a guy who sailed for several years would have some experience with it, but you know, whatever, i guess you didn't like that option.

Someone else think of an option since mine clearly aren't allowed.
>>
>>6048049
>Surrender
These fuckers nailed our mast with one shot, it's nonsense to fight them. I don't care if Bananas punishes the bitch move.
>>
>>6048067
You know surrender will mean we lose everything, they probably torture and kill some of our crew for trying to escape, if not torturing us as well, no.
>>
>>6048071
We're immobilized in the open sea, the quest is already over lol
>>
>>6048049
>>
>>6048049
>>Form a line and fire volley
Our crew can't sail for shit, but we at least went all in on muskets for everyone. Get wrecked!
>>
>>6048049
>Skirmish

Actually thinking about it our crew is just a group of inexperienced dregs. How the fuck are we going to organize them into a line? Skirmish instead.
>>
>>6048098
They'll probably just shotgun us to death with sniper cannons. They got our mast straight on with a single hit while we literally don't know how to sail.

This is extremely obviously an forced defeat moment.
>>
File: 1000002605.png (22 KB, 512x512)
22 KB
22 KB PNG
>>6048116
Man it really sucks when the QM forces you to pick the lowest sailing skill background and forces you to not buy cannons to keep anyone at bay and forces you not to use a lucky coin to avoid encounters when you're weak and forces you to try and outsail a bunch of professional pirates instead of any other option damn I hate it when QMs railroad like that
>>
>>6048129
I'm sorry for thinking the guy who spent several years in a ship and had a crew wiht a bunch of people who would would the exact same would know the literal most basic thing about sailing. I should have know be actually spent all those years with his thumb up his ass.
>>
>>6048146
>would would
What kind of autocorrect is that? Fucking hell. DID. How does DID get autocorrect
>>
>>6048049
>>
>>6048049
Should’ve attacked first, huh?
>>
>>6048049
>>Form a line and fire volley
I knew we should had fire cannons.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.