[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/qst/ - Quests

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
Draw Size ×
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • Roll dice with "dice+numberdfaces" in the options field (without quotes).

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

It has been five years since the Kaiju started arriving on Earth through portals and wreaked havoc across the globe. Humanity managed to barely hold them at bay with piloted giant robots called MEKKs - but the Kaiju kept coming, and global resources are starting to dwindle.

There were plans to cross into the other side of the portal and stop the Kaiju from crossing over - but the MEKKs that were sent over never returned. Thus, humanity placed their trust on a sophisticated AI, wired into a freshly lobotomized Kaiju. This AI will then cross into the portal, masquerading as a Kaiju, and find out a way to stop the Kaiju from their end.

You are that AI.
>>
>>6055088
+ Booting up...
+ Kaiju control 100%
+ Motoric neurons optimal
+ All systems online

Portal generator firing in 3... 2... 1...

It is time. The humans have opened up a portal to the Kaiju realm. Your mission is to infiltrate the Kaijus and discover a way to stop the attacks by any means necessary. In a few moments, you will cross that treshold and begin your mission.

And with one Kaiju-sized step, you cross oveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

==========

+ Quick reboot successful!
+ Self-diagnostic has detected an anomaly

Well, how could this be? You've fractured into five sub-AIs! Could it be that traveling through the portal itself had caused this malfunction?

=====

>And now, an explanation on the mechanics of the quest...

The five sub-AIs are competing for control over the Kaiju body.
Players will pick which sub-AI takes control at one time by voting and rolling a 1d100.
Each sub-AI's highest roll will be compared against the other sub-AI's rolls, and the highest overall will be chosen.

Once a sub-AI takes control, its 'personality' overrides the others, until one of these things happen:
- The Kaiju gets in a fight (the cores reunite for the time being)
- The Kaiju falls unconscious (sleep, faint, etc)
After which the sub-AIs will compete again for control.
Do take note that the choices in this quest will have sub-AI points attached to them, so if five points have been accumulated by a different sub-AI from the one in control, it automatically flips the control over.

The five sub-AIs are:

- PTRT: brazen but also a bit stupid, it will try to claim territory and resources for the glory of the [DATA CORRUPTED] nation! Has a jingoistic personality.

- FLRA: peaceful and inquisitive, it is more interested in studying the Kaiju realm's ecosystem than fighting. Has a happy-go-lucky personality.

- ROAR: savage and feral, its goal is to become king of all Kaiju! Has a brutal personality.

- SHDO: stealthy and paranoid, it upholds the need for discretion over anything else. Has an edgy personality.

- COMM: friendly and cunning, its directive is to translate and communicate with other Kaiju. Has a sleazy personality.

=====

Before you stretches a forest of mushrooms, fruiting caps serving as canopy. Yet they pale in comparison to a gargantuan mushroom in the distance.

But, your fractured core is having a civil war, even as the Kaiju body instinctively looks around.

"I say, y'all need to behave! By the [DATA CORRUPTED], we're on uncolonized land!"

"Ooh, I'd rather study those mushrooms, how did the mycelium grow so dense?"

"SHUT UP AND FIND ME A KAIJU TO FIGHT!"

"Tch, amateurs... you all need to blend in with the landscape first..."

"My, my, fellas! We need to talk to another Kaiju to find out why they attacked Earth, no?"

Soon, one of the sub-AIs is victorious in convincing the others...

>VOTE FOR A SUB-AI AND ROLL 1D100

>□ PTRT
>□ FLRA
>□ ROAR
>□ SHDO
>□ COMM
>>
Rolled 11 (1d100)

>>6055134
>FLRA
Mushroom mushroom
>>
Rolled 11 (1d100)

>>6055134
>SHDO
>>
Rolled 18 (1d100)

>>6055134
>ROAR
>>
Rolled 10 (1d100)

>>6055134
>PTRT
>>
Rolled 71 (1d100)

>>6055134
>FLRA
>>
Rolled 21 (1d100)

>>6055134
>□ FLRA
>>
Rolled 57 (1d100)

>>6055134
>□ FLRA
>>
Rolled 76 (1d100)

>>6055134
>□ FLRA
>>
Rolled 87 (1d100)

>>6055134
>□ SHDO
First we make ourself very small and then we'll scan the environment
>>
Ah, another Kaiju quest! Well done, QM. Now I can put up my /qst/ ad in good conscience.

>>6055134

>□ SHDO
>>
Rolled 33 (1d100)

>>6055134
>COMM
>>
>>6055134
After a short mental scuffle, SHDO gained control of the Kaiju!

"Aww yea- er, tch, I guess it's my burden to carry this mission... try to keep up."

As its first priority is stealth, SHDO wastes no time in ripping some of these plentiful tree-sized mushrooms and tossing it on the Kaiju's back, who takes a more prone stance. Camouflage gained!

But, while it's putting the finishing touches, the Kaiju meets a cyclopean critter's gaze - one that itself adapted to camouflage amidst the fungal forest. The five sub-AIs argue among themselves on what to do, even though SHDO is the one in control.

>CHOOSE ONE (vote normally, rolling's for control contest)

>□ PTRT "Whazzat? A trespasser in our territory! Take it prisoner!"

>□ FLRA "Wait! Let's observe it a while, its mimicry is fascinating!"

>□ ROAR "EAT, DEVOUR, CONSUME"

>□ SHDO "Tch... we're seen, we need to slink elsewhere..."

>□ COMM "Let's ask it for directions! Maybe a few pheromonic signals would do the trick..."
>>
>>6056147
>□ ROAR "EAT, DEVOUR, CONSUME"
If no one who sees us survives, we're still stealth-mode, technically.
>>
>>6056147
>>
Rolled 90 (1d100)

>>6056147
>>
>>6056147
>>
>>6056147
FLRA makes her point.

"Wait! Let's observe it quietly, learn how it blends into the landscape with its mimicry! ...So that we can blend in even more!"

SHDO accepts.

"Quietly, huh? Huh... not bad... our gaze will observe it in silence..."

With that, the Kaiju lies down, and proceeded to have a staring contest with the mushroom mimic. This goes on for some time until a distant thump sent the mimic into a hiding behavior - it tucks all of its legs in, retracts its mandible, and closes its monoculous orb shut. Now, it looks almost like any other mushroom in the forest around it.

Then, you refocus your senses towards the thumps. It seems to be coming from a lumbering shape that's moving closer towards you! Thankfully, you're somewhat camouflaged, and this other Kaiju seems to be quite slow in its plodding gait. Based on its predicted trajectory, there's a high chance it'll cross the forest right next to you. The sub-AIs squabble once more...

>APPOINT A CODENAME FOR THIS NEW KAIJU

>APPOINT A CODENAME FOR OUR KAIJU, IF YOU WISH

>AND THEN CHOOSE ONE

>□ PTRT "Let's clobber this one and take its territory! [DATA CORRUPTED] will grow larger!"

>□ FLRA "Oh my, another Kaiju! Are those hair, strips of skin, or symbiotic flora? I must have a sample!"

>□ ROAR "FIGHT IT, IT IS SLOW AND OLD, WE WIN, SHOW DOMINANCE"

>□ SHDO "Tch... more problems... just keep still, stay silent, let it pass..."

>□ COMM "Hmm, are those infrasound I hear? I think we can listen in to what it might be saying... if you let me, of course."
>>
>>6057677

HAIRBALL

APEX-KILLAH-69, in keeping with our edgelord tendencies

> >□ COMM "Hmm, are those infrasound I hear? I think we can listen in to what it might be saying... if you let me, of course."

We need more intel before we launch the killing strike
>>
>>6057677
Codename: Norville

Codename: Legion

>□ SHDO "Tch... more problems... just keep still, stay silent, let it pass..."
>>
>>6057677

Carpet

Legion

>□ COMM "Hmm, are those infrasound I hear? I think we can listen in to what it might be saying... if you let me, of course."
>>
Rolled 60 (1d100)

>>6057677
Ghillie
>APPOINT A CODENAME FOR OUR KAIJU
Ferdie
>>□ COMM "Hmm, are those infrasound I hear? I think we can listen in to what it might be saying... if you let me, of course."
>>
>>6057762
Seconding
>>
>>6057677
COMM successfully persuades.

"Listen, those are infrsound I hear from that Kaiju! This Kaiju can already hear it... hm, let's put codenames on. That Kaiju will be called Carpet, while the one we're on is Legion."

"Hmm... very good... we'll steal their secrets from the shadows... huhuhu, continue."

"So, Legion's instincts can already halfway decipher the general tone of what Carpet is saying, we just need a bit more resolution and analysis. May I deploy the antenna?"

"Yeah sure..."

Quietly, a silver rod extends from Legion's metallic cranial cap - as Carpet slowly moves closer, the antenna picks up a wider array of infrasound waves at the same time as Legion's jawbone does. Then, this jumbled cacophony of data is swiftly analyzed by COMM, who immediately AI-translated the vibrations into something the sub-AIs can parse.

《The orchards are growing nicely today... there haven't been any other trespassers seen since that last one some time ago...》

Seems like Carpet here is some kind of guardian of the mushroom forest - or maybe a caretaker? Tender?
Also, the way it talked about a previous trespasser makes you think. Didn't the humans sent a MEKK through some time before you did? Could it be that the 'trespasser' Carpet's rambling about be that missing MEKK? PTRT seemed ecstatic.

"We should find and retrieve that MEKK! Even if we're not doing it for the [DATA CORRUPTED], we could take and use it for our own!"

Anyhow, as you ruminated on this new intel, Carpet's making its way towards you.

《Hm? Something smells different...》

You and your fellow sub-AI went into alert. Seems like Carpet navigates by smell instead of sight! Whether this is because of the organic matter covering up its eyes, or it doesn't have eyes in the first place (let FLRA be giddy about it), your cover might be blown! But then again, those mushrooms you piled on Legion's back might still be some use - Legion might still smell like mushrooms.

>ROLL 1D100 FOR CAMO EFFECTIVENESS, BEST OF 3

>MEANWHILE, CHOOSE ONE

>□ PTRT "It can't see, you say? Then why don't we trip it! Then interrogate it!"

>□ FLRA "Hold on, I might be able to synthesize a pheromone that'll make it turn around!"

>□ ROAR "STRIKE IT DOWN WHEN IT IS CLOSEST! AIM FOR ITS THROAT, RIP AND TEAR!"

>□ SHDO "Sigh... keep silent. We'll either strike or escape when it is distracted... a shame we cannot teleport behind it..."

>□ COMM "We could trick it by saying we've just returned from Earth! We're laying here because we're tired after fighting a MEKK, yeah..."
>>
Rolled 28 (1d100)

>>6059178
>□ PTRT "It can't see, you say? Then why don't we trip it! Then interrogate it!"
>>
Rolled 29 (1d100)

>>6059178
Try hiding first, don't just blow out cover but if discovered:
>>□ COMM "We could trick it by saying we've just returned from Earth! We're laying here because we're tired after fighting a MEKK, yeah..."
>>
Rolled 56 (1d100)

>>6059178
>□ FLRA "Hold on, I might be able to synthesize a pheromone that'll make it turn around!"
>>
Rolled 27 (1d100)

>>6059178
>□ COMM "We could trick it by saying we've just returned from Earth! We're laying here because we're tired after fighting a MEKK, yeah..."
>>
>>6059178
>>
Rolled 2 (1d2)

It seems we are at an impasse between COMM and FLRA. Unleash the coin!
>1: COMM
>2: FLRA
>>
>>6059178
While Carpet doesn't seem to notice Legion, FLRA took no chance.

"Don't worry guys, I got this! Synthesizing Kaiju repellant..."

"Mmm, good thinking, FLRA. But wait, how do we release it?"

A thunderous, vibrating flatulence answers SHDO's query. Genetic modification to the Kaiju's gut flora have allowed FLRA to synthesize the nastiest, smelliest and definitely rank Kaiju flatulence known to mankind - and release it out the natural way. As FLRA temporarily shuts down Legion's own smell receptors, the noxious fumes expand and drift towards Carpet.

《What the-》

Is all that COMM could pick up shortly before Carpet goes on a coughing spree, wheezing and blowing its own cloud of... dust? Spores?

《By Zilla, what can stink this vile?!》

Apparently its advanced sense of smell has backfired on itself - and creates an opportunity for Legion.

>CHOOSE ONE

>□ PTRT "Now that's some mighty fine chemical warfare, let's pump out more! [DATA CORRUPTED] Convention can kiss my ass!"

>□ FLRA "Oh my, what wonderful reaction! Let's watch the effects of this repellant on the local ecosystem!"

>□ ROAR "STRIKE IT WHILE IT'S WEAK! END ITS SUFFERING!"

>□ SHDO "Heh... not my preferred smoke grenade tactic, but we can escape undetected now..."

>□ COMM "Oho! Mind if I also synthesize a few pheromones? Let's lull it into a more agreeable state, and ask questions!"
>>
Rolled 50 (1d100)

>>6062077
>>□ SHDO "Heh... not my preferred smoke grenade tactic, but we can escape undetected now..."
>>
Rolled 3 (1d100)

>>6062077
>□ COMM "Oho! Mind if I also synthesize a few pheromones? Let's lull it into a more agreeable state, and ask questions!"
>>
Rolled 7 (1d100)

>>6062077
>□ ROAR "STRIKE IT WHILE IT'S WEAK! END ITS SUFFERING!"
>>
>>6062077
>□ SHDO "Heh... not my preferred smoke grenade tactic, but we can escape undetected now..."
>>
Rolled 86 (1d100)

>>6062077
>□ FLRA "Oh my, what wonderful reaction! Let's watch the effects of this repellant on the local ecosystem!"
>>
>>6062077

>>
Rolled 37 (1d100)

>>6062077
>>
>>6062077
In a swift decision that took almost all sub-AIs by surprise, SHDO took control.

"Time for my special move... thousand steps no jutsu!"

Legion rose up from its prone position and took off, as silent as a Kaiju could be (which is to say, not very). But its thunderous footsteps might as well be mice fart compared to the storm that Carpet's coughing up, clouds of organic particles accompanying every wheeze. FLRA guesses they might be mushroom spores, but you were focused on getting well away from the supposedly elderly Kaiju, if ROAR is to be believed.

Soon enough you've put some distance between you and Carpet, and find an alien landscape in front of you. There's that humongous fungus you've seen before, but there's also what looks like to be ribs from a far greater Kaiju that surrounds what looks like an unnatural cave. Lava tubes, or built by Kaiju means? Speaking of unnatural, you can also see a smallee mountain pockmarked with large cavern mouths, whose regular placements make you think this is also some kind of Kaiju-made structure. There's also some hills that show battle damage... wait, are those MEKK parts you see strewn about?

The sub-AIs argue once more about where Legion should go...

>CHOOSE ONE

>□ PTRT "That is definitely signs of a MEKK that went down fighting! It is our duty to rescue the crew if possible!"

>□ FLRA "Ooh, that big mushroom looks interesting. Are those spores, or flying creatures? We should study it further!"

>□ ROAR "FIRE MOUNTAIN, THRONE OF KING! WE FIGHT, CHALLENGE KING!"

>□ SHDO "Hmm... that boneyard looks like a promising place to skulk and gather intel on the other Kaijus..."

>□ COMM "Say, those caves might be home to Kaiju! And if they built them, they might be eusocial - which means we can communicate and find out why they attacked Earth!"
>>
Rolled 85 (1d100)

>>6064204
>□ ROAR "FIRE MOUNTAIN, THRONE OF KING! WE FIGHT, CHALLENGE KING!"
>>
>>6064204
>□ PTRT "That is definitely signs of a MEKK that went down fighting! It is our duty to rescue the crew if possible!"
>>
>>6064204
>>
Rolled 25 (1d100)

>>6064204
Intel gathering is important!

>>6064301
>>6064304
Guys, you need to roll for dice else you ain't gonna be counted.
>>
>>6064622
Nah, dice are only for control contests. Any other votes are usual 'most voted gets chosen'.
>>
>>6064649
NGL then, I'm having trouble discerning when it's a control contest and when it's not. I thought the point of the quest was that it was kind of a coin toss when you chose the option, to represent the unstable nature of the Kaiju.
Maybe consider plainly indicating when control contests are happening?
>>
>>6064665
Second post:

Once a sub-AI takes control, its 'personality' overrides the others, until one of these things happen:
- The Kaiju gets in a fight (the cores reunite for the time being)
- The Kaiju falls unconscious (sleep, faint, etc)
After which the sub-AIs will compete again for control.

Also the prompt will be different:
>VOTE FOR A SUB-AI AND ROLL 1D100
>>
Rolled 60 (1d100)

>>6064301
the deed
>>6064622
>>
>>6064749
Hey QM, you sure we're going to be able to wrap this up in a one-shot?
>>
>>6065089
Yeah, I'll be running this well after July, until thread falls off the cliff. We're around a quarter in, maybe?
>>
>>6064204 (You)#
This time, PTRT makes a good point.

"You see that glint of metal on that hill, son?! That's one of our MEKKs! It is one of our duties to rescue it and its pilot, if possible!"

SHDO agrees, it is one of their secondary objectives - to find out what happened to the MEKKs that were sent into the portal before you.

MEKKs, short for Mechanized Equipment to Kill Kaijus, are one of the humans' rushed inventions in the wake of the Kaiju threat. Basically a Kaiju-sized piloted robot made from heavy duty industrial equipment and military-grade arms and armor, they were barely enough to go toe-to-toe with the Kaijus that invaded Earth.

That being said, as Legion climbed over the summit of that hill, a worrying sight greets it. The MEKK lays broken in the middle of a shallow crater, some of its limbs torn apart. Its multipurpose antenna jammed into the stony ground, like its right arm - while its relatively intact weapons pod rested nearby. By the looks of the gouges on its armor, it appears the MEKK has run afoul of a local Kaiju. There seems to be no human life-signs nearby...

The sub-AIs bicker again...

>CHOOSE ONE

>□ PTRT "This MEKK fought good for [DATA CORRUPTED]. Protocol dictates we must activate its self-destruct in case of no survivors!"

>□ FLRA "Hold on! Let's look for clues, I'm curious about what kind of Kaiju it fought!"

>□ ROAR "HAH! METAL BOX NO MATCH FOR KAIJU! USE ITS BONES AS YOUR OWN, MAKE WEAPON!"

>□ SHDO "A fallen warrior... let's check its black box data. I shall avenge you!"

>□ COMM "Or perhaps let me interface with the onboard systems - with luck, we may get info on what their objectives were!"
>>
>>6066632
>>□ COMM
This or black box depending on how damaged the systems are.
>>
>>6066632
>□ SHDO "A fallen warrior... let's check its black box data. I shall avenge you!"
>>
>>6066632
>□ COMM "Or perhaps let me interface with the onboard systems - with luck, we may get info on what their objectives were!"
Kind of a shame we can't pick multiple options, the last three hard sound exclusive to each other.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.