[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/qst/ - Quests

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
Draw Size ×
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • Roll dice with "dice+numberdfaces" in the options field (without quotes).

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Expect some downtime in the next few minutes for upgrades!

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: The_death_of_Lucretia.jpg (62 KB, 428x600)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
When the emperor wants someone dead he only has to send a message. The bearer of that message needs to witness the suicide of the undesired individual. Once death has been confirmed, the witness will report the done deed to a questor, who will report to a praetor, who will report to a magister, who will report to the emperor, if he is in a proper state of mind.

A man is traversing a main street in the middle of the night, wearing his black toga and a long broom on one shoulder - signifiers of his position as an imperatorial witness. Black toga for the black news that he carries, a broom - for the trash that he helps remove from the world of the living. At least that was emperor Nero's interpretation. People distance themselves from the man and his ilk, naturally, but he doesn't mind. People say that the man was a retired legionary, a career that explained his limping, others said that he was some Phoenician, because of his unusual features. The man doesn't bother with trifle gossip. He is on his way to the temple of Mors, leaving a memento from the last suicide he witnessed. It was an old patrician, 'an enemy of the state', proud until the last moment. Soon the task is complete.

The man fingers a final letter on the inside of his toga, one last state sanctioned death is to be carried out until the night is over. He reaches an oakwood gate surrounded my high marble walls and knocks, a slave's voice is heard from inside - "Yes?"

"I'm carrying a degree, approved and sealed by our Pontifex Maximus and Emperor Nero Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, addressed to..."

>Xanthos, the Athenian philosopher

>Flavia Florens, the matrona of this house

>Decimus Bubo, the satirical actor
>>
>>6084273
>>Decimus Bubo, the satirical actor
>>
>>6084273
>Decimus Bubo, the satirical actor
>>
>>6084273
>>
>>6084273
>>Flavia Florens, the matrona of this house
>>
>>6084273
>Xanthos, the Athenian philosopher
>>
>>6084273
>>
>>6084273
>>Xanthos, the Athenian philosopher
lets kill the dissidents
>>
>>6084273
>>Flavia Florens, the matrona of this house

Nero loved actors, his issues with women though...quite well known.
>>
>>6084273
>The philosopher
>>
>>6084273
>>
>>6084279 | >>6084388 | >>6084400 | >>6084422 | >>6084429 | >>6084432 | >>6084447 | >>6084455 | >>6084467 | >>6084562

2 for the satirical actor, 3 for the philosopher, 5 for the Flavia
>>
It's the dead of night and as a proper patrician Flavia Florens Crispian isn't asleep but rather enjoys the company of fellow friends. As she sees the man, she welcomes him to sit on her table, positioned near the artificial creek in the inner garden. She knew her fate ever since Nero killed his own mother, a close friend of hers. Flavia sends out slaves to bring in additional cooks and to gather all her friends for one last convivium. She is a patron of the arts and artists, the actor Decimus Bubo is sitting close to her, sullen and distraught of what the presence of the man in black toga will bring. Many of the attendees feel the same. Bubo starts to cry for her, the passionate soul he is, and she cares to calm him down with gentle words and wine. Xanthos the exiled philosopher, is as upbeat as always as if not realizing the significance of the midnight visit from the mysterious man.

New guests start to arrive and Xanthos's cheerfulness rubs on everyone, music starts to play and soon everyone converses, argues, laughs, gossips. New tables are brought out under the clear sky for them to sit, new foods are cooked, baked and fried for the unexpected multitude. As matron hostess Flavia sits on the honor seat from where everyone attending can clearly see her, silk white tunic covers her body, her hair - in a bun made out of complicated braids and twists, her face - statuesque in beauty. She calls out for the domestic physician and while she drinks, eats, laughs and participates in every conversation he gently slits her wrists.

Cont.
>>
>>6084693
While slowly bleeding out, her slaves bring out gigantic carts filled with precious items - gold and silver cups, precious stones, Egyptian, Bactrian and Midian artifacts, a Cappadocian baby hound, a beautiful Cimbrian slave girl and soon Flavia begins to give them away to all in attendance.

"Caeparia, for you I have this violet alexandrite... Salvia, you take the Persian cutlery, I know that you have been eyeing it for years" laughter follows, "Hostus, this dagger suits you. It was precious for my late husband, let it be precious for you too... for you my sweet Tertius, have the Cimbri girl, you take good care of her now...". A slave puts the next item in her hand, an intricate vase made of material known only in the far east, porcelain it's called, "This thing...." Flavia says with voice deep with melancholy over distant memories this no one will have and she smashes the age old vase in the ground. Flavia feels light-headed and calls out for her physician again.

"Bandage me up" she says and soon the party resumes, the music plays, everyone feasts, everyone enjoys her company. Flavia has all slaves whipped for a bit, lest they forget their position. Then makes her favorites free. Some time passes and the physician is called again. "Remove the bandages" she says, some guests start to weep as they see the bright red blood running down her arms again. Some slaves cry too.

Flavia's face is now pale, she slumps in her high chair, yet there is still strength in her voice, Gelon, my love, write this down she says as a Greek sitting next to her produces a parchment and ink.

Those who do not know what love is
Liken it to beauty

Those who claim to know what love is
Liken it to ugliness

Both fools

And Flavia's head slumps on her lover's shoulder. Gelon calls out the man in the black robe, the latter approaches and checks on Flavia.

The state recognizes her death the witness says and the Greek lover gently picks up Flavia's body, bringing it somewhere inside the house. Everyone else follows him, participating in the solemn procession.

The man in the black robe squats down and takes a piece from the broken porcelain vase and heads to the temple of Mors for a last time tonight.

Cont.
>>
>>6084694
Several days pass. A letter changes magister' hands, then praetor' hands, then questor' hands, finally reaching the man in black toga. This time the undesirable is located in one of the poor districts. The name on the document is simple and unassuming...

>Kaeso

>Cania
>>
>>6084698
>Cania
>>
>>6084698
>>Kaeso
>>
>>6084698
>Cania
>>
>>6084698
>>Cania
cunnia
I am liking the quest a lot. It feels like a visual novel from the east
>>
>>6084698
>Kaeso
>>
>>6084698
>Cania
>>
>>6084700 | >>6084710 | >>6084731 | >>6084766 | >>6084833 | >>6085152

2 for Kaeso, 4 for Cania
>>
"I can't protect you without holding a sword,

I can't embrace you while holding a sword."

Simple wooden structures have been erected all over in this place in order to accommodate the migrants coming from the poorer regions of the Italic peninsula. Here, just south from the Viminal hill, away from the central cardo and decumanus ways, is another one of those buildings. It's a shared accommodation, only thin wooden walls separate families with a multitude children and multitude problems. The shouting is incessant, even in this late hour, the smell is even worse.

What a miserable place.

The man in black toga approaches, his broom is on his shoulder, in his free hand - imperial invitation for a suicide. And here he is, on the second floor, making his way into a dim room without door, some oil lamp is producing something resembling light. Two young ones are laying on the floor, embracing each other. There is a back room somewhere, intensive coughing can be heard. The witness announces his presence and makes clear why he is there. The girl is distressed and in tears, the boy wants to see the letter himself, the witness is certain that he can't read. The boy tears the imperial letter apart, a death offence on it's own. The girl shrieks and backs away to one of the corners, like a frightened mouse. This place has such effect on people, if you live like an animal for too long you become one, you live too long with a mask on, the mask becomes your face.

What a miserable place.

'I can kill him, Cania, don't be afraid!' the boy says with a trembling voice, producing a tucked away dagger.'I can kill him and we'll escape!'

'And go where?! We have nowhere to go! I am sick of it, I am sick of this... I should have never visited the games... never let him see me...'

'We can go back to Ostia, we'll live in the woods there, I know 'em...

'...what about your sick father... they'll search for us forever...' the girl's panic makes way for unexpected resolve, she approaches the boy '...let's finish this, help me out...'

She guides his dagger hand across an artery on her neck. He brings her to the floor, embracing her again.

'I'm afraid, will you come with me, Kaeso... ?' Kaeso slits his own throat and both bleed out slowly, both satisfied.

What a beautiful commitment.

All is over, The state recognizes your death the witness says, taking the boy's dagger for Mors' temple.

Someone is coughing in a back room.

Another letter is somewhere in there, tucked in the black toga. There it is...

>Pulo Sirmium, the disgraced legate

>Araca the Christian
>>
>>6085365
>Araca the Christian
>>
>>6085365
>>Pulo Sirmium, the disgraced legate
>>
>>6085365
>>Araca the Christian
>>
>>6085365
>>Araca the Christian
I am christian myself, let's see how a person of God reacts to this mandate. Torture and a horrible death is preferable to suicide.
>>
>>6085365
>Araca the Christian
For some, death is a thing to cherish, though not at one's own hand.
>>
>>6085365
>Araca the Christian
>>
>>6085371 | >>6085372 | >>6085401 | >>6085690 | >>6085723 | >>6085967

The government sanctioned persecution of the followers of this new cult made them weary and, just as the man in black toga, they preferred to do their dealings at night. The Nazarenes they call themselves and worship a god made flesh.

The trusty broom is on one shoulder. The state appointed witness enters an underground cave, somewhere on the outskirts of the City near a road on which some decades ago someone called Peter laid on a cross upside down.

It's humid and dark, there are several people in there, all facing in the same direction, looking. At the very back of the cave multiple chains can be seen hanging, their start is beaten deep into the surrounding rock foundation, attached with iron chisels. Their ends are profoundly piercing the flesh of a naked woman all over, a method of penance applied by the most austere ascetics. The woman has wild hair, around her hair - a glowing halo.

Come she says, inviting the witness. I was looking for a reason to join my husband, you are one that is good enough.

Who is your husband?

The one with no beginning and no end.

Are you Araca?

I am.

Who are you?

The whore and the maiden.

How so?

How can I be worthy of my husband if I am only one or the other?

I am here to witness you die.

I know why you are here, that broom of yours can't hide the scythe within. You are ancient, almost as old as my husband, I see you.

I have some things to tell my disciples. Once I am done, your work here will be over.

The man in black toga waits respectfully outside the cave. Sporadically, he hears some of her words, words describing scripture from a serpent's point of view, Judas being the only loyal follower, the book of Mary Magdalene.... The sun rises, he goes back in. Some of her disciples are bowing, some are crying, others are in silence. The witness recognizes one of them as the former commander of the tenth 'Rapax' legion - Pulo Sirmium. The chains, previously biting deep flesh, are now dangling on the walls, lonely. The woman is gone.

There is no body to witness, no memento left for the temple of Mors.

Time to change jobs, time change cities the man in black toga was found out.

THE END
>>
Thanks for playing, that was a quest more on the experimental side for me. I could have prolonged it but I thought that a finish that includes some gnostic early Christianity would be proper way to end it.
>>
>>6086069
That you for running, this was an interesting experience and I enjoyed it greatly.
>>
>>6086069
I liked it

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.