[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: pain.jpg (29 KB, 500x375)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>be me, american college student
>always had a dream to study abroad
>can only afford a summer program like a research position
>on top of that, the position would need to be paid
>and on top of that, the program has to apply to CS majors (most don't)
>good news! my uni has a program like this, I'd go to Austria
>apply just in time, but only apply to projects that are advertised as paid
>accepted into program, specifically one that claims to pay the highest
>project seems good, none of them are good at programming so they could use someone like me
>negotiating terms with austrian professor i'd be working under
>"Hallo yes we can pays you 1000 euros a month plas the cost of flight!"
>okay! great! maybe I get to go to europe this summer!
>week later, call him back, had to talk his offer over with family
>tell him I think the offer will work, let's discuss dates and sign this stuff
>"oh aah...actually anon i must reduce the offer...no more plane ticket"
>explains that he overpromised money to a lot of students and his next wave of endorsements won't come until fall
>okay, that's fine...I think I can muster up a thousand or so to pay for that, after all I really wanna make this work
>send him a letter he needs to fill out
>week later, I get an email at 3 AM
>"nevermind anon sorry zere is no compensation provided, here is ze paperwork!"
>okay, no, I told you I need payment to afford the trip. i don't have seven thousand dollars to just throw at this.
>"if you can just come directly and avoid paying tuition from your univer-"
>dude, NO. this was advertised as a paid position.
>gives another bs excuse and says he'll contact the president to see what he can do
>mfw I already know it won't do anything
>mfw dream crushed
>mfw this was the only project in the only program during the only time that I could travel abroad
>mfw he just wasted 3 weeks of my time when I could've just asked for a different paid project, but now it's probably too late
Why are europeans like this??
>>
>>77265981
>Why are europeans like this??
they are literally notoriously lazy and sleazy/scammers/liars, what did you expect
>>
>>77266031
Aren't germans supposed to be precise and timely?
>>
>>77265981
universities are fucked over by bureaucracy, this is whay happens if the state funds them (but it's actually nice since i only pay 150e per semester). Don't believe promises but what actually is included in the contract
>>
>>77265981
Just kill them lol
What are they going to do? You'll fly out in a few days
>>
>>77266098
>this is what happens if the state funds them
What about publicly funded universities in the US? Never had this problem with american education. Yes, they rarely promise you money. But when they do promise you money you will 100% get it no questions asked.
>>
>>77266277
again bureaucracy, the funding and any major decision has to be approved by god know how many retards who all can just refuse it or cut the amout
>>
>>77266301
Sounds like the system is broken and doesn't work. God bless the united states of america.
>>
>>77266328
for a normal student it works pretty well. also how big is the avg tuition at a college in the us?
>>
>>77265981
>putting own plans on hold for a non-commitment
hard lesson.
>>
>>77266361
6 gorillion, unless you're a nig, then they pay you for each semester you attend, plus you get to have anal sex with the deans daughter whenever you want.
>>
>>77266382
Well thankfully I didn't put EVERYTHING on hold. There is on job offer I probably could've pressed harder for if I knew Austria wasn't an option. I still have my current internship though, I can still do that this summer.
>>
>>77266361
>>77266406
as a college student here I can give you an honest answer: it depends.
Community college? Maybe $1-2k a semester.
Are you going in-state? Probably 5k a semester with no aid.
Are you going out of state? Could be anywhere from 15-20k with no aid.
Are you applying to a prestigious university? Probably at least 20k
What about a private college? 25-30k.
What about an ivy league, or a top tier school? It varies, but anywhere between 30-50k a semester without aid.
Keep in mind these costs often include housing, meals, course fees. It's not just the tuition. You'd pay like 40k USD and they'd give you everything you need to live.
Usually, you are given aid to help pay for it. Typically it's based on your grades and test scores (merit aid) but as another anon said you can also get aid for being poor (need based) or black (DEI). Only certain minorities qualify. And yes it really is just giving money to minorities in a lot of cases.
For example, my tuition is about 6k a semester. The uni gives me 5k because I'm smart. So I pay 1k a semester to get a pretty high quality education. American uni can be very affordable if you aren't retarded and are willing to compromise.
>>
>>77265981
He was a sleazebag but I don't see how that is your only option.Why don't you apply directly to European labs/universities? There are summer schools or exchanges with scholarships you can apply to and also research technician roles. You don't need to rely on some structured program if you really want to do it.
Plus, how long are you thinking about staying? It is a bit unrealistic to want a >1000 euro salary for working in a lab for 8 weeks or so, there is not much value you can add in so little time. Your best bet if you can't afford it is a scholarship or working part time somewhere to sustain yourself.
>>
>>77266490
>6k a semester
sounds about insane considering that i pay 150
>The uni gives me 5k because I'm smart
at least you have that
>>
>>77266519
>I don't see how that is your only option
Like I said, if I study abroad it has to be affordable and it has to apply to my major. I can't afford a full semester. Next summer I'll likely have an internship here in the states, same with the summer after that.
>Why don't you apply directly to European labs/universities?
Mainly because I'm just a 20 something American, but also because you usually need some kinda of sponsorship to get a visa. It seems unsafe for me to plan an entire trip abroad without any backing from any organization or entity. I'd have to account for all sorts of logistical things like insurance. Also like I said I need backing from an org in Europe to get the visa, which is usually obtained through my university.
>You don't need to rely on some structured program if you really want to do it.
You're not wrong, and this is totally something I considered. But think about it for a second. For the vast majority of positions, there's no guarantee they can accommodate an exchange student. I only speak English, they might not have a system in place to give people visas, etc.
>how long are you thinking about staying
All of june and july, 2 months.
>there is not much value you can add in so little time
I disagree. The project in question is a physics one, all of the people working on it are physics and EE majors. None of them understand programming or how embedded systems work. The supervisor himself said he only knows matlab. I have industry experience and I could've helped them to understand some of that, I do think I could've provided value.
>a scholarship
Not poor enough. Only need based is offered for summer programs here, so I'd basically need to be on welfare.
>working part time
Not enough time if I have to spend 30 hours a week doing PhD research
>>
>>77266543
It's high but I don't think it's as crazy as it seems. Also, the standards for higher education are higher in the US. Schools are generally more prestigious and higher quality here.
If you have a valuable major in say, engineering, and this is a one time cost, I think it's perfectly justifiable. A smart student who wants to succeed in life will often go to college for the actual learning bit and not for the "college experience." I know plenty of people who get their core classes done at community college and then get the discounted rate at a bigger university to finish the degree out. If you're smart you can get a degree for 10k.
>>
>>77265981
i dont belive its too late man

i think stuff like this usually works out in your favour so long as you take it on the chin you'll rebound in an even better postion.

sucks that guy did kinda fuck you around though
>>
>>77265981
>fuck europe

>Interacted with ONE dude.
You have to be the most retarded retard and I'm glad you didn't come you retarded piece of shit.
Learn how statistics work.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.