[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: mqdefault.jpg (24 KB, 320x180)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
Anyone ever get worried by how recent seemingly ancient events were? Half of US houses didn't have electricity in 1925, a time when some people still around today were alive. Something as basic and taken for granted as harnessed electricity and we're really going to end up in the history books as one of the earliest generations to have it. We're beta testing modern civilization.
>>
>>78027615
Yes just like our ancestors beta tested agriculture, hunting and gathering
>>
>>78027615
No I think that's a stupid thing to think. I think you're a stupid person.
>>
>>78027643
Being incurious is stupid.
>>
>>78027653
You are being stupid and calling it curiosity
>>
>>78027615
Comparatively not that weird. If you look at places like Korea or Singapore, there are people who lived from feudal peasant society, to hypercapitalist cyberpunk
>>
>>78027686
That's a little different because the modern technology existed before they received it. With the case of harnessed electricity for the general public nobody really had it before the US had it (at most you had Zenobe Gramme demonstrating high voltage arc lighting at an exposition in Paris in 1878 but it wasn't like Korea where the US had that infrastructure already in common use and introduced them to it and the California Electric Company was supplying customers with power for arc lamps in 1879).
That's the thing that's weirder to me: That the technology itself of harnessed electricity is so recent. Not that the US was a late adopter of the technology but that Earth in general didn't have it until super-recently. So much infrastructure is built on top of electrical power and its use for serious residential applications is pretty much within a single long lived human lifespan relative to now. It's like if someone invented some new method of faster than light space travel and then 50 years later we colonized a thousand planets when as of right now we can't even make it back to our own Moon.
>>
>>78027882
I can see where you're coming from, but through history there are so many technologies that see quick diffusion.
Not restricted to industrial society either, the three-field system during the Middle Ages for example.
Another one, during Elizabethean times, coal completely replaced firewood use in London, in a span of less than a decade. It's a fairly radical shift we wouldn't imagine for the period, centuries before the ibdustrial revolution, which made it possible in the first place.
>>
>>78027615
Zoomer discovers the world didnt come in a package
>>
>>78028128
I was born in 1986. I care more about things like electricity now because I'm getting old.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.