[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • Use with [math] tags for inline and [eqn] tags for block equations.
  • Right-click equations to view the source.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

"The First Key of Basil Valentine" edition

Last thread: >>16117647

This thread exists to ask questions regarding careers associated to STEM.
>Discussion on academia-based career progression
>Discussion on penetrating industry from academia
>Or anything in relation to STEM employment or development within STEM academia!

Resources for protecting yourself from academic marxists:
>https://www.thefire.org/ (US)
>https://www.jccf.ca/ (Canada)

Information resource:
>https://sciencecareergeneral.neocities.org/
>*The Chad author is seeking additional input to diversify the content into containing all STEM fields. Said author regularly views these /scg/ threads.

No anons have answered your question? Perhaps try posting it here:
>https://academia.stackexchange.com/

An archive of all the previous editions of /scg/:
>https://warosu.org/sci/thread/15740454
>>
>>16133918
I am about to begin my PhD program this August and I have several questions that I cannot find the answer to anywhere in the internet. How can can I be hyperproductive while also being sane at the same time? I heard burnout and depression is a common experience as a graduate student but I want to avoid that since I already had it as an undergrad. How can I pick a PI and/or research project that attracts employers? Trying to match and predict the future demands and trends of an industry 4-5 years in the future is proving difficult for me. Also, what should I do during the summer to prepare for the graduate student experience? I am already planning to study for the entrance exams and learning how to use Excel, but what else?
>>
Is it unprofessional to contact my appointed "mentor" on linkedin prior to the beginning of my internship? I know email is the standard, but they take so long with all the back and forth. I have some miscellaneous questions I'd like to ask him, plus he's a young guy. Also it seems to me that people are more restrained when using email, and I'd like some frank answers. Just wondering if this is considered unprofessional in the corporate world.
>>
>>16133944
Going to be harsh, take with a grain of salt
>hyperproductive while also being sane
If you see these as contradictory, then it's not possible for you without a lifestyle change.
>burnout and depression
It happens when you aren't meeting your true goals.
>already had it as an undergrad
Grim, but it's not over.
>How can I pick a PI
You should have a good idea (2-3 candidates) already going in or it's grim.
>research project
That's the point of having a good PI. Choose one who you can actually learn from.
>attracts employers
Why are you doing a Ph.D. instead of Masters or getting a job?
>predict the future demands and trends
Build general skills, target specialized achievements. Make sure more people than your PI care about your project areas.
>entrance exams and learning how to use Excel
Grim if this is the most productive use of your time you can think of.
>>
>>16133944
>learning how to use excel
are you getting a phd in business or some shti? just read papers related to whatever topic you want to study. If you don't know what to read, look at recent publications from one of the profs you want to be your advisor and branch off from there
>>
>>16133965
It's fine but don't read too much into it if he ignores you for whatever reason, since it's not an efficient use of time for him to interact with you before you start
>>
>>16134078
An an engineer, here is what I will say -
Excel is something we never used in college, but if you have to ask how to do something in excel at work, everyone immediately thinks you're a massive idiot. It isn't a meme, learn excel.
>>
>>16134728
ok great, he asked about preparing for a phd
>>
>>16134740
oh right I forgot this general went from STEM career general to STEM status striver general, my b
>>
>>16134749
Where is your phd from? What did you get it in?
>>
Are french universities generally well regarded for CS?
>>
I laughed at some of my professor's jokes and now he's always making eye contact with me in lectures how tf do I stop this
>>
>>16133944
>learning how to use Excel
for what? Keeping a list of publications? In that case you should look into more appropriate tools such as Zotero.
https://www.zotero.org/
>>
We have had a lot of doom posting, time for happier news:
>Canadian science gets biggest boost to PhD and postdoc pay in 20 years
https://archive.is/esFUo
>“We are investing over $5 billion in Canadian brainpower,” said finance minister Chrystia Freeland in her budget speech on 16 April. “More funding for research and scholarships will help Canada attract the next generation of game-changing thinkers.”
>Postgraduate students and postdoctoral researchers have been advocating for higher pay for the past two years through a campaign called Support Our Science. They requested an increase in the value, and number, of federal government scholarships, and got more than they asked for. Stipends for master’s students will rise from Can$17,500 (US$12,700) to $27,000 per year, PhDs stipends that ranged from $20,000 to $35,000 will be set to a uniform annual $40,000 and most postdoctoral-fellowship salaries will increase from $45,000 to $70,000 per annum. The number of scholarships and fellowships provided will also rise over time, building to around 1,720 more per year after five years.
>>
>>16134762
Paris-Saclay and INRIA is good otherwise a lot of top french CS people seem to go to Geneva and Lausanne
There are also grandes écoles like École Polytechnique which are not very accessible to non-Francophone foreigners
>>
>>16133918
>Graduated with a MEng in Electronic Engineering in 2019
>dull but well paying IT job since
>want to get more into real STEM again withour a significant drop in income
What are my best options?
>>
>>16135161
STEM is not an action movie. A boring job has its benefits. You are one of the few that actually made it. What part of IT is not STEM to you?
>>
>>16134851
More money to send home sar!
>>
>>16133944
>learning how to use Excel
If you're looking to be an engineer in industry I'd highly recommend it. I'd say 30-40% of my job I'm looking at excel sheets, which is bullshit but it's the truth.
>>
>>16135161
So you want a dull but poorly paying job with bad job security?
>>
I'm about to undertake a STEM degree (majoring in Math)
Do minors matter at all for further progression? Was thinking of minoring in Chem
>>
I currently have a business degree from a large state school in the US, but want to switch to get a computer science or engineering degree part time in germany. Is it even worth it to do so? I've always enjoyed STEM topics and want to be able to have a stronger technical background but I'm worried with AI and the horror stories on here at least on the computer science side. The engineering degree is just a general engineering degree with a focus on electrical engineering with various specializations (energy, robotics, etc.)

The programs are both 100% online and would be really flexible with my schedule. I'd also like to us this degree to eventually get my master's in something more technical, but everything I've seen my bullshit meme business degree from the US doesn't really help me qualify and I don't want to do an MBA.

Any anons have advice on pursuing a second bachelor's to get a master's or just in general would it be a good idea to go for this? If this helps this is the uni.

https://www.iu.de/
>>
Is it possible to get a job in biology/chemistry/research with a major in them? I work full time and don't want to give that up for my studies but I can still study shit like math
>>
>>16135686
>>
>>16135580
I want something intellectually stimulating that also lets me contribute towards something meaningful
>>
>day 110 of unemployment
Getting a math phd was a huge mistake
>>
>>16135826
Get a hobby and take up volunteering.
>>
>>16135871
Not networking was the mistake. Besides, I told you about teacher-pill last and edutainment-pill last thread.
>>16136003
Didn't we tell you it looked fine last thread?
>>
>>16136006
>networking
What does that even mean?
>>
>>16136038
Making people like you to the point they want to have you around and hire you. The best and most lucrative job I ever had I got because I went to the same school at the same time as the hiring manager
>>
>>16136072
>Making people like you
So, basically, "just be yourself". Lmao.
>>
File: growing dope.jpg (40 KB, 600x446)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
last semester senior here. I was originally going to be an H&H civil guy but I've pivoted towards land development. I'm in talks with a recruiter for a possible EIT interview in Atlanta (GA fag here). This is my first degree-related job interview ever. Any tips? My resume isn't super geared towards land-dev and I don't have civil 3d experience altho I know its similar to the basline AutoCAD I used in undergrad.

please, any advice would be nice. thanks
>>
>>16136097
> "just be yourself"

as long as being yourself isn't being an ugly retarded sperg/spastic then yeah. In hindsight I should have made more friends in college. Would have been nice to have some chill bros that could have hooked my ass up with a job.
>>
>>16136097
No, it means actually meeting people. At a conference go up to someone and say hi, i do blah, what do you do? then later you ask them if they have job openings. Is it a sure thing? no, but its better than a faceless resume
>>
>>16136118
>any tips?
yeah, atlanta fucking blows
>>
>>16136038
>Going to conferences and poster presentations and chatting up the people there even if it's small talk
>Getting to know the faculty of your uni besides your PI.
These are just some basic examples.
>>
>be white guy
>"Anon you really should apply for this job"
>"It's not really worth it. I'll get DEI'd"
>"That's not real, fix your attitude loser!"
>Apply
>Get rejected
>"You just weren't qualified enough Anon, take it as a learning experience"
>>
>>16136118
Be handsome to win over roasties
>>
>>16136215
>showing your power level to normies

congrats now everyone thinks you're racist.
>>
Any one with tips on doing an EE degree online? Is it even possible to do that with a quality education or will I just be bullshitting myself?
>>
>>16136097
No, in fact for the majority of people on this site I would suggest starting off by being the opposite of how you are naturally.
>>
>>16136530
that is the joke
>>
>>16136375
You need to be doing some lab work for EE
>>
>>16137028
Yeah I was thinking the same thing and was worried the curriculum was lacking that. Reviewing there are options to go on site for some classes, but I don't think it's lab based just lectures. They also have computer science online which is was debating, but engineering seems like overall/long term more secure and interesting to me.
>>
>>16136974
There's nothing funny about the current state of the scientific job market.
>>
>>16137030
You could do CS online. If your uni doesn't have a decent lab it shouldn't offer EE degrees
>>
>day 111 of unemployment
>>
>>16137117
Thanks for the feedback. This is the engineering course and reviewing it there is an option to go on campus, but still it seems all theoretical teachings

https://www.iu.de/bachelor/engineering/fernstudium/
>>
>>16136325
>congrats now everyone thinks you're racist.
I'd hire him desu
One of my goals is to get in charge of hiring and slowly kick out homos, freaks, and minorities who think being an 'oreo' is a problem.
>>
>>16136375
Stony Brook's online EE degree is ABET accredited, something employees and schools greatly value, and you could build something of a homelab with EE. I'm unsure if you could react out to Professors and do real academic lab work with them though.
>>
Fuck I need to know if I can enter a salaried position with a BS that makes $70k/yr, agsci / development major but looking to go back to network and pivot to engineering of some kind, probably electrical
>>
>>16137354
>agsci / development major
That sounds cool, but do you not see any opportunity in it? I feel like agriculture makes up in socially and spiritually that electrical/computer sciences does not.

Like I'd love to grow/analyze wine and cherry trees all day 2 b h
>>
>>16136279
NTA but the last two job interviews I had for engineering were male only interviewers (altho they were smaller engineering firms).
>>
>>16137356
I would too, in fact I plan on growing a vineyard and cider orchard when I have the money to put down. But I don't. And my roommate is pregnant, so I need money to GTFO ASAP. Somewhere on the order of $25k in 6 months, after bills. Just found out about it a few days ago.
>>
>>16137372
>And my roommate is pregnant, so I need money to GTFO ASAP.
What a twist
This is why you don't room with women mate Are you the father or one of her flings?
>>
>>16137335
I'm an American in the EU, so things are a bit different here from my understanding. However the tip to reach out to professors is a great idea
>>
>>16137385
Neither, I'm her stepbrother and her husband is also my roommate. We've lived together for 5 years, because we're poor. I want to get out of Dodge so I don't have to raise the little shit for them. I like kids, but I ain't no cuck.

I'm thinking I'll have to either do computer science or some kind of engineering to get that kind of money any time soon without going into debt for school.
>>
The local firefighters get paid the same as me, an electrical engineer. It’s petty but I’m envious
>>
>>16137471
Pride yourself in knowing that none of the electronics they rely on to be heroes would exist with your mind.

Also there's nothing stopping you from saving people from a fire.
>>
>>16137484
>with your mind.
without*
Prolonged internet use has turned me into an ESL. Help.
>>
>>16137460
>I'm thinking I'll have to either do computer science or some kind of engineering to get that kind of money any time soon without going into debt for school.
You're not going to get it that quick within 6 - 9 months. Tech education is no longer a golden ticket and it will take some time, dedication, networking and luck to attain those types of jobs.

Sounds like you have more interpersonal and financial issues that need to be resolved instead of a career change. Start by figuring out how to leave your current roommates if you believe they're going to force their kid on you.
>>
File: 1713481072703510.jpg (58 KB, 1024x1020)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
>>16137558
>You're not going to get it that quick within 6 - 9 months.
Fuck.
>Start by figuring out how to leave your current roommates if you believe they're going to force their kid on you.
They say they won't, but I don't trust them enough to believe they won't pressure me into it. And since she's been pregnant for at least a month and a half, I have about 6 months to get a footwell into a place of my own that I can afford.

I need enough money to:
>fix my vehicle enough to travel to a new place without it blowing up
Estimate: $4-6k (transmission and engine work)
>save up for basic appliances, security deposit, pantry stocking, household tools, etc.
Estimate: $10-12k, depending on whether I rent or fix up a run-down house that's in my name (familial deed).
>break current lease
Estimate: $6k

With my current bills and accounting for taxes, I either need a second job that pays ~50k/yr or a job that pays 75k/yr to do that in 6 months. That's my problem: I have no clue how to get that much with my degree in that span of time. I'm tempted to bullshit my resume and do a bunch of online certs so I can leverage some connections and weasel my way into a dev position.
>>
>>16137568
>bullshit my resume and weasel my way into a position
I can’t believe there are still people NOT doing this. Shuck and jive as much as you possibly can get away with. Call your friends to be references, call your dad and ask if his friends will be your references. (Based on the living situation I’m guessing your dad is a loser tho) Beg if you have to.

You do not want to be living in an apartment with a baby that isn’t yours dude it’s hell. You have probly 7 months to grind like hell, living in a tent would be better.
>>
>>16137471
They also might have to see a dead body during work. Grow the fuck up and contemplate a lotus flower
>>
For EE Ph.D. admissions (systems work specifically), would it be better to have a good letter of recommendation from a professor whose lab you've been a part of but end up with no publications, or stay at the lab you're currently in and potentially get a first author publication (albeit on a poster paper), but get a mediocre letter of recommendation? I'm going into an ECE masters program and was thinking of joining an aerospace systems lab at my university, since I've had some interesting aero internships as of late, but the likelihood of me publishing there is relatively low. On the other hand, I could stay at an ECE systems lab I've been a part of for two years and finish up the project I'm working on, but the professor isn't that reliable for letters of recommendation and other stuff. Would it be better to switch to the aerospace lab or stay in the ECE lab?
>>
>>16137117
>If your uni doesn't have a decent lab it shouldn't offer EE degrees
Not that Anon (obviously), but how much lab work do American EE program courses usually have? I'm studying EET in a third world shithole (Peru), and I've noticed that most of the electricity/electronics courses I've had have only had like 1 or 2 lab practices on average, with most coursework being either basic-ass step-by-step problem-solving straight off textbook examples or SPICE/Matlab simulations.
Do American EE students do lab work every week? Twice a week? Do they learn to design PCBs and set up CNC machines to do the etch-work on them? Can they make chips, or do they just buy them?
>>
>>16137734
depends on the profs really. I got into a top 5 school with zero publications and zero research experience for ece phd because one professor who I never emailed or cared about saw my application and liked me, called me up and then after talking recommended admission for me. In general though, publication is probably better but its also not required
>>
i have a crush on a cute postdoc (male)
>>
>>16137930
men in their late 20s/early 30s are hardly cute
>>
>>16137790
You forgot to mention that you're a stacy
>>
>>16137682
Danger is awesome
>>
>>16134798
tell him you love him in a homosexual way that will make sure he wont look at you again or speak to you!
>>
>>16138029
no, not stacy. it was cause prior military
>>
>>16137758
Depends on the class. Some classes will have a lab portion which happens once every week for 2 or so hours(could be more or less)
>most coursework being either basic-ass step-by-step problem-solving straight off textbook examples or SPICE/Matlab simulations.
Can you give an example of one of your homeworks or exams that you might have?
>Do they learn to design PCBs and set up CNC machines to do the etch-work on them?
No but we do get to fabricate MOSFETs and stuff.
>>
>day 112 of unemployment
>>
>>16138191
I'd be interested in hearing this too (OP from EE vs. CS question). I see there are a lot of options for projects and learning CAD stuff but no physical lab work so I'm a bit worried
>>
>>16138038
Tell me your address and then I'll arrange some for you
>>
>>16129139

Grim.
>>
>day 112 of hearing from the unemployed math phd
making this general was a huge mistake
>>
>>16138849
I can in a way understand him, he went a very precarious route in his job and thought he was safe but now he is unemployed and have no idea even how to search for a job outside of academias retarded downs syndrome embrace.
>>
Saw a job listing asking for 4+ years of research, do the years it takes to do a PhD count towards that usually?
>>
>>16139048
yes
>>
>>16138962
I think anon is being too picky. Im sure a job doesn't exist in the very specific area of pure math that he's interested in. But there are plenty of jobs that exist in general. I could just as easily have gotten a degree in some random obscure topic and complained that no jobs exist for people in that degree. If you want to do something that you really love thats fine but just dont expect to get paid for it.
>>
>>16137354
Defense contractors literally don't give a shit as long as you have a Bsc.
>>
>be csfag trying to get into AI
>decent resume for regular software development, still have recruiters spamming my inbox and can easily get interviews within my domain
>but no background in ML so i get a hard reject or ghosted by AI jobs
i don't mean to sound picky but is it worth trying to apply to "ml engineer" jobs in "lesser" companies? i don't mind the pay cut but but i'm concerned that the title doesn't actually correlate to actually working on any ml models

the obvious route is grad school but even if i get in i can't enroll until next year anyways
>>
>>16139326
>i don't mean to sound picky but is it worth trying to apply to "ml engineer" jobs in "lesser" companies? i don't mind the pay cut but but i'm concerned that the title doesn't actually correlate to actually working on any ml models
Better than nothing and the experience with the title alone should help mitigate the ghosting
>>
STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, Math)
>>
File: blonde-mossy-hill.jpg (521 KB, 1005x1312)
521 KB
521 KB JPG
>>16139334
Art >>> Science >= Math > Engineering >>> Tech

I mean that in terms of enjoyment
>>
>>16133918
>I got bored of my computer science project and now I have to write a dissertation and pretend I know stuff other than making code work.
It fucking sucks, I hate academia I just want to make stuff, I don't care about my fucking grade. I want to do stuff that I enjoy for myself not to be the best cog in a corporate machine. I just need to pass right, do companies really give a shit about your academic credentials most, when you get a job you are going to have to learn to do it their way anyway.
I HATE ACADEMIA!
I HATE ACADEMIA!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
>>
>>16139351
you sound like a loser
>>
>>16139360
Maybe I am for picking the meme degree instead of maths or physics, I am not going to pretend to be someone I am not
>>
>>16139332
i'm just concerned that i won't do any ML on the job. the title might help but i've had a "software engineer" job where i didn't even write code so i'm wary of getting baited

but tech job market is very shit right now
>>
>>16139388
>but tech job market is very shit right now
True. Do we know the cause by the way? Just inflation and taxes fucking with things?
>>
>>16139410
Decades of replacing white people with pajeets and hiring for diversity's sake
>>
>>16139364
Haven't you figured it out yet? All STEM degrees are meme degrees.
>>
>>16139447
I guess the real non-meme degree is Law because it's seemingly behind the decline in quality of life career-wise.
>>
>>16139410
>Do we know the cause by the way?
the generally accepted cause is it's the repercussions of a decade of zero interest rates and post pandemic inflation while there's global instability with two wars going on
we had the good times and now we have to pay the debt off

>>16139460
only if you go to a top school and the job is probably worse than most other corporate jobs
>>
>>16139364
>meme degree instead of maths or physics
Are you trolling? Physics and math undergrad are straight up useless
>>
>>16139473
>only if you go to a top school and the job is probably worse than most other corporate jobs
Some might need to bite the bullet so we have lawyers who aren't tard activists representing us or penning legislation you must follow.
Yeah Senators, Reps, and VP/President don't need a J.D. to be elected but a majority of them are lawyers.

>>16139493
Spotted the teenager
>>
>>16139364
>WAHHH I WANT TO DO WHAT I WANT, NOT WHAT MY EMPLOYER WANTS
>I should have done math
ok retard, do you think companies are paying you to solve topology puzzles?
>>
>>16139520
I have a physics BS with a 3.55 overall gpa lole. It ain't worth shit except for applying to more school
>>
>>16139540
>It ain't worth shit except for applying to more school
Literally all degrees in this day and age are like this. CS, engineering included. Nothing is a golden ticket. Your degree is a tool you use to market yourself and nothing more. Physics has turned into data science, engineering, and finance roles for people.
>>
How can I manage to bag remote internships in foreign countries ?
I am trying to gain remote ones because few employers hesitate to sponsor relocation visas for interns

>Sophomore computer science
>>
File: IMG_2804.png (69 KB, 1113x706)
69 KB
69 KB PNG
Can you stupid undergrads desperate for work and tremendously indebted with student loans help me out with career advice?
>>
>>16139728
none of this is stem
>>
>>16139728
Too many words give a tldr
>>
>>16139728
You can get a programming job with that but the field is a slave ship so make sur eyou complete your CS degree. Then complete your maths degree so that you stand out from the other ten million other CS graduates.
>>
>>16138016
Please don't hurt my feelings anon
>>
>>16139520
>Yeah Senators, Reps, and VP/President don't need a J.D. to be elected but a majority of them are lawyers.
i mean yeah if you wanted political power you wouldn't be a stemfag

>>16139547
i do wish i did an applied math double major in college, would make trying to get into ml easier than just a cs degree
>>
>>16139550
Bump
>>
>day 113 of unemployment
Getting a math phd was a huge mistake. I curse the day I entered university
>>
Some relevant news about management consulting:
>Consulting firms step up efforts to push out their low performers
https://archive.is/cdGsz
>McKinsey is in the middle of a brutal round of career reviews, according to people familiar with the process. Its consultants will all be graded this month and those deemed to be underperforming will be — in McKinsey parlance — “counselled to leave”.
Expect new hires to be brutalized to perform to the max. The whipping will continue until the morale improves.
>Two years on from the Great Resignation, when a roaring jobs market and the effects of the pandemic encouraged swaths of the workforce to switch employers, the situation could not be more different. In the professional services, the numbers leaving firms of their own accord have swung to historic lows, as tech groups, investment banks and other destinations have gone from hiring mode to firing mode. Bosses of consulting and accounting firms have been desperate to increase what they call “attrition”.
So the existing consultants are hanging on but will be hunted down.

The rest of the article is pretty grim.
>>
Man, the girls working for these headhunting firms are straight qt
>>
>>16140601
i don't work in mbb but isn't this just normal stack ranking?
i can't feel too bad for MBB consults since they're the guys who are orchestrating the layoffs and stack ranking at my company anyways. they're just pushing their culture into other industries
>>
>>16140606
You know I be huntin for head ayeeeeee
>>
Fags
>>
>day 113.5 of unemployment
Don't get a math phd. I'll never find a job
>>
>>16133918
Any anons have a job with just an associates in Electrical Engineering? Or should I just continue and get my Bachelors?
>>
File: science.jpg (103 KB, 750x1000)
103 KB
103 KB JPG
So has anybody started their villain arc yet?
>>
>>16141008
Get your bachelors. You aren’t a real engineer.
>>
>>16141064
Oh yeah. Been ruthlessly job hopping while milking my employers for every benefit and perk I can.
>>
>>16141064
What are my prospects in landing a job with virus research in the U.K.?
>>
>>16140618
>i don't work in mbb but isn't this just normal stack ranking?
Not really, partners seem to want faster attreition rate then normal in order to earn more, while the non-partners want to hang on while the job market is bad.
>>
>>16140988
Did you ask the career office at your university for help or advice?
>>
>>16141008
>associates in Electrical Engineering
What like a technician degree? Sure I know people with jobs and they get called "engineers" on their titles, but it depends on what you want to do. Personally I'd say go full EE, the math only gets marginally harder and there's move doors opened to you with an EE degree than a EE tech degree.
>>
>>16141133
Better than in Wuhan I wager.

>>16141121
Carry on soldier
>>
File: mpv-shot0007.jpg (149 KB, 1440x1080)
149 KB
149 KB JPG
Between a PhD at Oxford and one offering a big stiped, I'd be retarded not to pick the big stipend, right?
Does that change if it's a year longer and in a less (politically) stable region?
>>
>day 114 of unemployment
What are my options? I don't see a path forward anymore.
>>
>>16136375
>Is it even possible to do that with a quality education or will I just be bullshitting myself?
I've heard good things about Arizona State University's online EE degree program. It's ABET accredited. It's like $70,000 dollars but you'll be an engineer at the end of it.
>>
>>16137117
>You could do CS online
I'm gonna be doing CS online in the fall (WGU). The price is right and I'm enough of a self-starter to teach myself anyway.
>>
>>16140601
More news from management consulting, and it is not good:
>BCG says AI consulting will supply 20% of revenues this year
https://archive.is/Iq5vS
>The chief executive of BCG has said the $12bn consulting firm expects to generate a fifth of its revenues in 2024 from helping corporations integrate artificial intelligence into their businesses, a share it projects will reach 40 per cent by 2026.
>A jump in sales at BCG’s AI division also partly offset a slowdown in other parts of the business last year amid a tougher economic backdrop. BCG’s total revenues climbed just 5 per cent in 2023 to $12.3bn, the firm’s weakest growth in at least seven years.
>“I am the most vocal, and I would say also ruthless leaders, when it comes to telling my team that it’s nice to go to our clients and tell them they have to change, but we have to change BCG just as much,” said Schweizer. “We are taking our own medicine.”

It is not clear how much this will impact future hiring.
>>
>>16142262
Join the military
>>
>>16142262
flip burgers
go sign for a math job in a thirdy university
lie and embellish on your resume to get into any job you think you can stand
>>
help
>>
So: I'm a bachelor aerospace engineer, but after working in the metalworking industry I think I've grown tired of industry. I couldn't find a job directly tied to aerospace because they all ask for experience, master degree or being able to code which I am not.
Is getting a master degree in some information-field engineering a good idea? Lately I've gotten into entertainment industry so I thought I'd try acoustic/music or cinema engineering.
I have economic availability, but I'm worried about the time I'm going to spend there and how it will impact my eventual carreer
>>
Engineers are glorified tradies.
>>
>>16142459
Just do Harvard CS50 to learn how to code.
>>
>>16137334
Based corporate hitler
>>
>>16142433
Did you try all suggestions from last time? Also, are you >>16142262?
>>
passed my phd defense today. Thought for sure during it that they were gonna fail me, but they were just giving me a hard time. Im finally free
>>
>>16142463
I wish. Tradies get overtime.
>>
>>16140601
>>16142330
i'm starting my own LLC to do consulting and i have no idea what "management consulting" even is. sounds pretty useless so not surprised with what you posted
>>
>>16142676
Yes and yes
>>
>>16143005

I can't imagine anything so grim as the walk-up to the oral argument, everyone getting ready for it, you knowing what sorts of questions to expect, the advisor prepping you, and then failing. I even wonder if that's happened. There's a research subject: failed oral arguments at the final stage for PhD candidates. I also wonder how many living people hold PhDs.

Did you have a little ceremony after? I understand a glass of champagne is usual.
>>
>>16143005
congrats brother. passed my comps last week, defense next year
>>
>>16143231
your advisor won't schedule your defense unless he knows you'll pass unless he's a total asshole
>>
>>16143258
>>16143231
my advisor didnt prepare me well honestly. he may have thought he did, but he didnt. I got some questions about why I didn't do a couple things and the real answer that I wanted to say was "because my fucking advisor told me not to do those things"

didn't do any ceremony. held office hours afterwards and then went home to watch after my infant baby. wife and I will get some nice food this weekend though
>>
>>16133918
I'm applying to CS grad schools next year for systems. Any anon mind looking over my profile and see what uni I can get into?

>T10 undergrad CGPA 3.5 and major GPA 3.8 (out of 4.0)
>Good LORs.
>2 sole-authored publications in IEEE Journal and Conference (not premier ones)
>1 first authored extended abstract in a conference.
>Consulting services and internships (not in FAANG)
>GRE 162V 167Q 3.5W
>>
>>16142648
Wouldn't it be funnier to sample farts and analyze them for a living?
I know I'm sounding like I need to be told "just do what you want", but I've always liked math as a mean to describe and grasp reality -macroscopically- and this is why I was always oriented towards engineering.
My problem right now is that I can't stand anymore working for people that produce huge steel atrocities and also I hate business units (but that can't be helped). As an aerospsce guy I could probably go and make flight controll stuff or CFD for w/e application I guess, but that doesn't feel as cool anymore
So, if anyone has first hand experience or knows people that do I'd appreciate some info on what you are able to do as a meme engineer (as mentioned before acoustic/sound/cinema maybe food idk)
>>
>>16143392
why are you asking us neets and not the profs who wrote the LORs
>>
>>16143005
Congratulations! I had teh same feeling, my external examiner was a bit of an exterminator.

>>16143231 >>16143258
Sadly, that happens. It happened to another student at the same institute as me. It got rather ugly.

>>16143274
>I got some questions about why I didn't do a couple things
That happened to me too and I was grilled over it. And the reason was I was told not to bother with it. In hindsight I wonder if it was a deflection maneouvre to scoop me.
>>
>>16143224
Hang on in there anon, we are not giving up on you.
>>
>>16143538
he's trying to humble brag
>>
>>16141064
What villainous things can I do with CS that aren't some script kiddie bullshit?
>>
File: 1704136431519133.gif (8 KB, 96x96)
8 KB
8 KB GIF
>>16142648
Do Harvard CS50 to learn how to code
Do MIT 6.001 to learn how to program
>>
I keep getting weird spam DMs by Indian dudes on linkedIn. They always make their messages as verbose and "proper" as possible whereas a regular recruiter will just ask for a resume and ask for a time to call you.

I hope I'm not fucking myself over by being reflexively dismissive/racist towards south-asians but these guys never pass the vibe check. They always do something weird.
>>
File: 1000000955.jpg (236 KB, 681x681)
236 KB
236 KB JPG
>>16133918
Currently have a masters in math. I'm thinking of doing a Ph.D but I can't decide if I should do pure or applied. I would rather do pure because I'm more interested in that (my master's thesis with publication was in algebraic topology) however, I know the academic job market is hell. Would doing an applied topic like PDE, Probability, or Numerical Analysis be better for obtaining interesting work in industry or can it still be done with a pure math topic (if academic job track doesn't pan out?)

Otherwise, I was thinking of getting a masters in Data Science or CS. I know I could just build a portfolio, but Everytime I try to start projects I lose motivation and feel like I'd rather be doing research. I like studying CS and programming but much like my academic interests I just mostly like learning for its own sake. I feel pretty lost because I really want to stay in academia but I greatly fear there will be no positions. If I had to work in industry I'd do data Science or ML but even there I'd like to be doing research work and not grunt work.

ideas?
>>
Freshmen double majoring in CS and Econ, summer break is starting and I'm just facing rejection over rejection in my unis summer research position applications and programs.

I placed out of a good chunk of CS Classes and take the CS Classes alongside the less impressive portion of the department's sophomore batch but I realize that it amounts to nothing without a programming portfolio and not just some min wagetard jobs.

I've accepted that I'm not getting any summer program, but does anyone have any recommendation for what I can do better for the coming semesters?
>>
>>16144050
>Currently have a masters in math.
How is the job market for that?
> I'm thinking of doing a Ph.D
Why?
> but I can't decide if I should do pure or applied.
That is the choice between pain and poverty vs. a hope of getting a job
>I would rather do pure because I'm more interested in that (my master's thesis with publication was in algebraic topology)
You enjoy pain?
> however, I know the academic job market is hell.
That, my fiend, is the undeniable truth.

Have we yet reached the point where the FAQ should warn agaist maths?
>>
File: 1690761453795058.jpg (7 KB, 198x255)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
Is getting an aerospace engineering bachelor's a mistake. I've heard actually getting a job is kinda hard. I just wanna make the rockets.
>>
>>16144534
a mechanical engineer can go make rockets
an aerospace engineer can't go make much else aside from rockets

just get an me degree and add an aero minor
>>
>>16133918
is there any hope for the physics/math field getting better & becoming viable in the future?
>>
>>16143224
Considered applying for a job at the EPO? Seems your field is applicable here:
https://jobs.epo.org/lp/Become%20a%20patent%20examiner%20at%20the%20EPO/5480c2e89c799e8d/?locale=en_GB&utm_source=linkedincompanypage&utm_campaign=EXAM_SPRING_24

Salary isn't too shabby.
>>
>>16144665
I thought Physics was good but Maths looks like endless doom scrolling.
>>
>>16144364
>How is the job market for that?
Pretty bad. I can't even get shitty adjunct positions. I've gotten some offers in I.T actually, but I really don't want to work in I.T anymore.

>Why?
I like research and I'm good at it. I like learning math of course. I'd love to be a professor like most anyone, but I'm aware of the reality that's it's very difficult to obtain.

>That is the choice between pain and poverty vs. a hope of getting a job
Yeah, figure as much. See the things is I don't NEED a job. I could NEET for probably the rest of my life but I'm not finding it a fulfilling even after doing my hobbies, studying math, etc. I still have this desire to go out into the world and do something.

>You enjoy pain?
The pain is finding a job or any kind of employment. Yeah, I could NEET the rest of my life but it's not so fulfilling.

>That, my fiend, is the undeniable truth.
Yeah, I know..I know. I sometimes think though maybe I could still make it through etc. I'm somehow confident and stupid enough to believe it.

Since posting this, I'm probably just gonna jump into a data science masters or something see if I can get a job (whilst applying to Ph.D programs). If I find a job then I guess that would work in my favor, otherwise I'm going forward with personal poverty.
>>
DO.NOT.UNDER.ANY.CIRCUMSTANCES.GET.A.PHD.IN.PURE.MATH
>>
>>16145190
>Seems your field is applicable
thank you for the link but they don't seem to want pure mathematicians
>>
>>16144027
did you do the needful?
>>
Barely managed to get a BSc in math. I cant afford to NEET anymore. Should I join the army, actuary or apply for data analyst jobs?
>>
>>16145538
hs teacher?
>>
>day 116 of unemployment
>>
>>16145573
Post your job applications. Let’s see if you’re even trying at this point.
>>
>>16145538
>army
Consider the Air Force. The Army is for low-IQ individuals looking for easy gibs.
>>
File: sneed.jpg (45 KB, 640x427)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
>>16145573
>>
File: 1706167669280722.png (1.12 MB, 685x1003)
1.12 MB
1.12 MB PNG
>>16145347
you're talking to mathematicians so you should atleast provide a coherrent argument for your statement.
>>
>>16145569
Will try that once the school year starts
>>
>>16145608
>chair force
lmao
>>
File: squiddy.jpg (49 KB, 553x411)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>>16145643
>less work for the same pay
>>
>>16145347
Derive an equation that proves that.
>>
>>16145608
>air force
consider the coast guard
>>
>>16135724
>non-sequitur schizo response to anon's question
>>
>>16145899
i just needed to post a pdf for another board
>>
>>16138016
well this one is very
>>
>>16144027
>I hope I'm not fucking myself over by being reflexively dismissive/racist towards south-asians but these guys never pass the vibe check. They always do something weird.
You are completely correct in your assessment.
>>
>>16145439
I thought you had some real experiences in software?
>>
>>16141798
Depends on the field and what you want to do after. The prestige of Oxford holds weight outside of research. Inside research the name and prestige of your thesis supervisor holds more weight.
>>
>>16141798
What are your plans? Industry or academia?
>>
>>16143224
Did you really? Which teacher's school did you apply too? Keep it up and you'll be superintendent in no time! They make six figure salaries btw.
>>
I'm an aerospace quality engineer and my boss just announced that major layoffs will be occurring in our group. I have a job offer elsewhere already despite not knowing if they actually plan to let me go. Is it in my best interest to tell my boss that I have an offer and somehow request to be "selected" for a layoff?

The problem is that the current company has been paying for my MS program. If I am laid off or stay with the company for 2+ years, I don't have to pay them back, but if it appears that I left voluntarily, I do. So I need to be sure that the way I leave is documented as a layoff.
>>
>>16146782
I am already enrolled in paid teacher training.
>>
>>16146698
>>16146780
Academia. Most people I've asked said to go with the money but I figured I'd get a second opinion from /sci/.
>>
Holy shit, national labs pay bank
>>
>>16146963
The money is underrated. After a UK PhD I blew my savings moving to Europe for a postdoc. I wouldn't have been able to escape the UK without those savings and I lived like a pauper through my PhD to save up enough. Oxford is much more expensive than my city. It worked out as I now have a decent-paying industry job but I spent my twenties earning nothing with cheap hobbies.
>>
If I took two years off after doing my MS to get some work experience, would any unis give a shit about that gap when it comes to applying for a PhD? Or is that a normal thing to do
>>
>>16133918
Are anons here willing to review resumes and/or transcripts? I'm about to apply for a geologist position. I know I'm qualified, but I don't know if my resume communicates that.
>>
>>16146930
Take the second job and go from there. If you're laid off, great. If not, you have two revenue streams.
>>
>$200k a year engineering job with bonuses and per diems
>traveling 8 months outta the year

Would you guys take it?
>>
>>16147471
Per diem means travel expenses are paid, right? If so, definitely. Sounds too good to be true though.
>>
>>16147503
Yah it’d be like $200 a day in reimburseable expenses. Money is good and all but I will be no-lifing it the entire time.
>>
>>16147471
Sucks for your social life, especially if you don't get big breaks or time off when not travelling. That was the worst part of working on a research ship, the crew got months off when we got back to port, I had to go back to a desk job and travel to conferences. It's also really tough to maintain a good diet and fitness when you're constantly in a different place.
If you can make the most of travelling it'll be great and it's hard to argue with that salary plus bonuses.
>>
>day 118 of unemployment
>>
applying everywhere but no interviews
>>
>>16148447
I'm getting interviews but no offers
>>
Interviewing everywhere but no applying
>>
>>16147471
Depends on how much downtime you have while traveling.
>>
I just flip a coin to decide if I invite the applicant for interview or ghost them, but I still don't hire anybody
>>
>>16148643
And then complain about the lack of candidates
>>
>>16141064
Yes I have brother.
>>
File: Heinz_Doofenshmirtz.png (75 KB, 213x469)
75 KB
75 KB PNG
>>16143863
completely own and fuck over another person in cyberspace with your ord-inator
>>
>>16147471
>>16147724
if you're young it's cool for a while but just don't do it forever
>>
>>16147471
No wife, no pets, no ties to anywhere? Absolutely I would it for a couple of years and then use that experience to find a less paying but stable job.
>>
>looking for a job
>phd required
>masters required
>postdoc required

yeah right. a guy with a bachelors can do just fine in most of these roles.
>>
>>16133918
>Making a eng report about biofuels
>Bongland makes 293 million litres of biofuel
>116 to ethanol
>126 to biodiesel
where the hell is that 50 million litre deficit going to?
>>
>>16149372
peat? biochar? firewood?
>>
>>16149376
Biofuel for the transport sector, even the site only counts biodiesel and ethanol.
Anything else is regarded as bioenergy
>>
>>16149372
Applied to a sustainable bio feedstock engineering position, what am I in for?
>>
>>16137930
update we went out (nonromantically) and he is cuter than ever
>>
>>16134851
None of this money will be going to Canadians, this is all for Zhang and Balasubramanian.
>>
>>16148629
It’s on call basically working 12/4’s. Subcontractor for FEMA doing disaster recovery. Recruiter says some guys are gone from home for over a year. I’m hesitant but the money is fucking sick, $6k a month tax free in per diem alone.
>>
File: IMG_5915.jpg (60 KB, 680x750)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
I passed the professional geologists exam
>>
>>16151203
Congrats, how many rocks did you have to identify by taste alone?
>>
>>16151203
Congratulations! How is the job merket, picking up?
>>
>applying to $10hr jobs
how did it come to this?
>>
>>16133918
I'm 36 and have a PhD in chemistry. I work as a researcher at a national lab (recently converted to staff scientist) and I make about $170k per year. I own a couple of homes, rent one for passive income.

I pigeonholed myself into chemistry in undergrad because I didn't think that I was "smart" enough to study computer science because I thought a person had to already be a CS genius/prodigy in high-school (or before that) to get a degree in it. I have a really good publication record in my field, but I have this pounding feeling that's been persistent for the last 14 years that I should jump ship and study something like computer engineering and watch as money falls from the sky.

Should I stay or abandon everything I've worked for?
>>
>>16148440
Never think that, what you achieved is badass and something that most of these cuckolds couldn't finish if their lives depended upon it.
>>
>>16151356
It’s a computer based exam with no rock identification. I was pretty good at that back in college though specifically sedimentary rocks.

>>16151475
Thanks! I work in environmental consulting so this was for my professional license. I’m not sure what the job market is like but i want to get out of the business and start working in industry as an environmental guy. The license is why I stuck around.
>>
>>16138058
Or make him report you to the dean ;_;
>>
>>16152314
Do what this guy advised and see if you still like and enjoy it. Also, are you sure you are not suffering from survivorship bias? A lot of CS majors make bank on paper but they live in places like LA or NYC where living expenses are very high.
>>
>>16152444
Forgot the link like the genius I am
>>16143867
>>
>get really good job offer that would have me move
>also get gf I really like

Man, I know i shouldn’t choose a woman over my career but come the fuck on.
>>
>>16152363
Heard back from AECOM for an entry geologist position, and I have a degree in sustainable development. Am I making a mistake?
>>
>>16152747
AECOM is the largest consulting firm. Them and Jacobs are the only firms that do this type of work that are in the Fortune 500.

They will work the shit out of you since they’re a publicly traded company. The good news is that working at AECOM is a good resume builder and they should pay well. I’d start interviewing for other positions within two years.
>>
>day 121 of unemployment
>>
I'm getting a master's degree in CS specializing in AI and data science
However I'm really interested in both HPC and computational complexity theory and I'd like to pursue a PhD focusing on either or both of these fields. Is that doable coming from an AI background?
>>
>>16153184
>HPC and computational complexity theory
I might be wrong but complexity theory is theoretical CS while HPC is a more applied field. If you want to study theoretical CS you will need a significant course load in math.
>>
>>16133918
At this chem study session b4 the big Acid-Base test, some nigga asked why H2O is neutral and I barely managed to prevent myself from laughing my ass off. I had to stab myself with a pencil and hold my nose in order to not lose it.
>>
>>16153139
Ok I am going to give you some solid advice.

Number one - pivot to another field from your ridiculously theoretical bullshit.

I suggest some fluid mechanics, RF calcs or anything that require a solid foundation of math.

Learn another language, like German and then just move. If I would have taken a big degree like you and the country I lived in would not let me work. I'd just pack my bags and fuck off.

Furthermore, you are living in one of the smallest places to work for your degree in the industrial world, barred iceland. Just move. Learn French, German or Italian.

Stop looking for jobs within quantum mechanics and math, because there are no fucking jobs in that field you retard manbaby.
>>
>>16152956
>They will work the shit out of you
Prefer that over being lazy. Reading reviews told me they're heavy on field work, which is preferable in this case, because I'm used to retail bullshit.
>working at AECOM is a good resume builder and they should pay well
Cool and good, that's exactly what I was looking for.
>I’d start interviewing for other positions within two years.
That's enough time for me to get a second BSc. If I stay with my current employer, I can get that paid for at the same time, which is great, because GIS in conjunction with CSec / NetSec and webdev should be pretty solid for technical positions and possibly military contract (a friend of mine is in tech doing GIS adjacent with a military contractor, from the other direction).
>>
>>16142288
NTA but im really thinking about doing this program. It seems legit since its virtually identical to the BSEE at my old school, and I really want to become a licensed engineer so I can get far away from the software industry

It's just expensive af. Even with transferring the basic courses in using community college, it'll still be 50k total. Plus who knows how much tuition will rise the next few years. My CS degree was the same price but damn

At least I can probably do an MSEE after if I wanted to. That might make it worth it.
>>
Normenn i tråden?
Er 750k i året for lav eller for høy for å begynne som materialingeniør i metallverk industrier?

Could begin in industry as a materials engineer right after PhD(it is a high end company producing specialized components for defense and aerospace). Is this a good idea to escape academia?
>>
>>16154635
>Is this a good idea to escape academia?
Ja
>>
EE working in transmission
What’s the level up move here? Do I go back to school and get an MS
Do I get an MBA? Could I get into management somehow? I get feel like a dead end cuck with my 80k a year salary and no benefits. It’s enough money to scrape by but not really enough to own your own shit or reproduce
>>
Undergraduate student here. How do I get a girlfriend? Especially during the summer, when I don't leave my house and don't have any friends.
>>
>>16154876
Just accept that it’s over and switch focus to getting revenge
>>
>>16154884
Actually good advice. GJ anon.
>>
>>16154884
thank you glowie
>>
Are european grad schools seen as worthless on a resume in the USA?
>>
>>16154730
Get your PE. You should be at $130k if you have 4 YOE
>>
Man I really wish I didn’t waste my 20s gooning to big black cock cuck porn. I’m so behind professionally.
>>
>>16154730
>Do I go back to school and get an MS
Hell no, do your PE and then if you want to go the management route do your PMP and maybe Six Sigma cert if you really want to.
>>
>>16154319
I hope you dreams become reality insofar as they are truly good for you, anon.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.