[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • Use with [math] tags for inline and [eqn] tags for block equations.
  • Right-click equations to view the source.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1696065305205677.png (870 KB, 1536x864)
870 KB
870 KB PNG
>Last September, astronomers in Japan detected a series of objects in the Kuiper Belt – described by the BBC as a "doughnut shaped region of icy bodies" beyond the orbit of Neptune – that had unusually warped orbits around the Sun. Researchers Michael Brown and Konstantin Batygin, from the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) in Pasadena, speculated that only a massive planet's gravitational pull could explain these "orbital anomalies", said Live Science.

>Then in February, scientists narrowed down the "likely hiding" place of the "elusive" planet after they "whittled away" 78% of the "hypothetical world's suspected orbital pathway", said Philip Plait in Scientific American.

https://theweek.com/science/the-hunt-for-planet-nine

>If things go at this rate, it might take about a decade [to find].
Quote from 4.5 years ago

https://youtu.be/pe83T9hISoY
>>
fingers crossed it's a primordial black hole
>>
>>16139560
I hope but would we even get a closeup pic within our lifetimes? It could be further than voyager 1's distance and it took it 50 years to go that far
>>
>>16139577
refueling a starship in orbit might allow some probe to get there faster. the amount of science a backyard blackhole would enable though...
>>
File: 2729200586.png (73 KB, 625x773)
73 KB
73 KB PNG
>>16139753
>t.
>>
File: 1687171415660773.jpg (77 KB, 423x751)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
>>16139753
>>
>>16139753
Why do chinks spam propaganda about hypersonic missiles? Why does every media company and jew investor rant and rave about generative AI? Black holes have a cool name and are mysterious to a majority of the population. You can write an article/film a video about them with minimal knowledge and research and still keep people entertained with the basedence.
>>
>>16139791
it's bait
>>
>>16139554
Planet 9?
From outer space?
>>
I wouldn't waste our resources on earthly pursuits. We need to be looking at the stars for a suitable home base. I will be sending my goyim into Algeria to begin construction on a new type of technology. My spic scientists work day and night in the forges. The result will be a space ready vessel for me. I won't be bringing any of you slaves on my ship, so you'll need your own way out.
>>
>>16139554
k…keep me posted
>>
>>16139560
Maybe it is, and they're trying to avoid mass panic, and to keep new endtimes schizo cults from forming, and to withhold this knowledge from China who, like, probably would try to claim it for itself and use it as a superweapon against Taiwan or something.
>>
File: images.jpg (4 KB, 240x210)
4 KB
4 KB JPG
>>16139560
a barren super earth would be cooler but go off
>>
>>16139554
Might as well just declare it at this point. The Oort Cloud has never been observed and scientists treat is as an established fact.
>>
>>16139594
Do you understand how multi stage rockets work?
>>
>>16140291
>cooler
quite literally
>>
>>16140685
Do you understand the concept of Space x Starship, which will be fully refueled in orbit by 6-8 tanker ship launches? And with full tanks + light payload you get enough delta v to do direct transfers to outer planets with a transit duration of 10-20 years?
>>
>>16139554
How long can you look for a fucking planet? Well whatever, being that far from the sun, its probably some frozen shithole anyway.
>>
>>16140704
No, I actually don't. Where do you see the advantage of getting an empty spaceship in orbit, getting fuel tanks in orbit (with matching speed and everything), doing the precarious act of refueling, over getting the whole thing fueled in orbit at once? It should cost exactly the same amount of fuel to get everything up either way, but the latter is much safer and simpler.
>>
>General Relativity gives wrong predictions for galaxies
NOOOO GENERAL RELATIVITY IS PERFECT! IT MUST BE DARK MATTER! GRAVITY WORKS PERFECLY FOR OUR SOLAR SYSTEM
>Actually, it doesn't and the orbits of the outer planets are off
ITS PROBABLY A SUPER SECRET INVISIBILE PLANET THAT WILL BE FOUND IN <CURRENT DATE> + 10 YEARS
>>
>>16140742
How was Neptune discovered?
>>
>>16139560
fpbp
came here to post this
>>
>>16140292
>The Oort Cloud has never been observed
I still have my doubts whether hypothetical Planet 9 or X can be observed let alone imaged considering how hard it was to do so for Sedna and Eris. And all the way out where it should probably be, it might as well be pitch black with no sunlight whatsoever.
>>16140710
Because it's really dark that far out from the sun. It's not the same as trying to find exoplanets transiting against stars that match our orbital plane or through radial astronomy. You have a shitton of sky to survey and even then it's easy to miss stuff.
>>
>>16140724
Good luck putting 1000+ tonnes into LEO
>>
>>16140749
A telescope.
>>
File: chriswell.jpg (36 KB, 600x450)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
>>16139795
GREETINGS MY FRIEND
>>
>>16140774
I wanna see Eris so bad
>>
>>16140780
I don't know if it's worth saying Mouf to this because you'd still be peacefully immature.

This board needs a clean.
>>
>>16140778
Telescopes were around for a very long time before Neptune's discovery. How could they know where to point them to see it?
>>
File: IMG_1095.jpg (116 KB, 1050x891)
116 KB
116 KB JPG
>>16139554
>Pluto isn’t a planet
>this fucking thing out in the Kuiper belt is a planet
>>
>>16140749
>>16140778
>>16140742
It's position was predicted by Le Verrier, based on perturbations to Uranus's orbit and gravitational theory. Galle then searched with a telescope, and found it within 1 degree of the prediction.
>>
File: Screenshot_5146.png (144 KB, 1425x562)
144 KB
144 KB PNG
Orbital mechanics noob here, how the bloody hell could something as massive as the hypothetical Planet 9 exist so far out and still be permanently gravitationally bound to the sun? Pluto, Eris, Makemake, Haumea, even Sedna (though that one still blows my mind) I could kind of understand due to them being overgrown clumps of rock and ice with very little mass.
>>
>>16140787
Orbit is irrelevant, mass determines planet status. Pluto has less mass than Eris, Triton, Europa, the Moon, Io, Callisto, Titan, and Ganymede. It's simply not a planet. The 8 planets are also the 8 most massive objects in the solar system after the sun itself.
>>
>>16140749
There is no planet 9. It is just a shortcoming of the general theory of relativity. Similar to how Newton's law failed with Mercury and they came up with a secret planet Vulcan to explain it.
>>
>>16140786
literally just sweep out the same arc all the other planets and the sun and moon follow across the sky. if there are more planets there you’ll see them eventually, less than a year I guess
>>
>>16140800
Except Neptune's position was inferred within 1 degree as >>16140792 said
>>
>>16140787
Pluto gets mogged even by our moon
>>
>>16140802
thats great but they could have just looked up
>>
>>16140802
>>16140792
So that backs him up. If the laws of gravitation are holding for the outer solar system, then people should be able to pinpoint Planet 9 to within 1 degree.

Instead, you've had people calculating and searching their entire careers, and continually being wrong.
>>
THE DARK MOON OF THE NOX
>>
>>16140793
Gravity never falls off to zero. Everything is gravitationally bound to everything else.
>>
File: Planet_Nine_animation.gif (695 KB, 640x480)
695 KB
695 KB GIF
>it's an ice giant
>it's a super-Earth
>it's a mega-Earth
>ditto but with a moon
>it's a primordial blackhole
>they'll find nothing except a failure of general relativity
>it's going to be planet 10 instead of planet 9 discovered first
>planet 10 is planet 9's moon
>that's no moon
Which of these do you think it's gonna be?
>>
>>16140802
Yeah sure. They were able to find the location of Neptune within 1 degrees by using just a pen and paper and we can't pinpoint the location of your fake planet despite immense amount of computer power that we have.
>>
>>16140811
It took decades between spotting the gravitational anomalies and making estimates on the planet's position, not to mention different people had different estimates.
>>
>>16140817
None of above. Nothing ever happens. It will eventually be "oh, there were measurement errors. New data shows everything is moving exactly as it should. No need for a Planet 9".
>>
>>16140820
>Gravity works perfectly. Neptune was exactly where we predicted*
>*after decades of failed predictions.
>>
>>16140793
slow orbit
>>
>>16140825
And Neptune was discovered and observed. We are currently going through the same process with a new planet. Aren't you excited?
>>
>>16140817
holy shit that's far. is Voyager farther away than that?
>>
>>16140831
And you'd reckon that after 300 years and technology so advanced that it would look like alien shit to galileo it wouldn't take longer than an hour to plot a viable orbit
>>
>>16140843
>trust our prophets
>they made one successful prediction 200 years ago!
>>
>>16140742
For all we know the Voyager probes aren't even close. Voyager 1 is around 160ish AU from the sun, Voyager 2 not much further behind. Planet 9's orbit even around the perihelion should be around 260ish AU I think. Both Planet 9 and Sedna's orbit would take them well outside of the heliopause, though Sedna is only 72 AU at it's perihelion.

Provided what we know about the heliosphere is true.
>>
>>16140849
How can an object be bound to the solar system while being outside the heliopause?
>>
>>16140850
The same way you are bound to the Earth and you're not looking at it whizzing away at 450k mph
>>
>>16140849
is there the least bit of sunlight out there? would the planet be pitch black? and if so, how tf do you even detect it? emissions?
>>
>>16140850
The heliosphere is just a fancy name for Sol's atmosphere. According to the eggheads, after the termination shock all that solar wind abruptly slows down due to it encountering pressure from stuff in interstellar space (probably the stellar wind from neighboring stars that it's brushing up against if I had to guess).
>>
>>16140852
So what is the border of the solar system? Everywhere I read it was pretty much made clear that when Voyager crossed the helipause it entered interstellar space.
>>
>>16140858
>So what is the border of the solar system
Just like with everything in reality from the largest stars to the smallest subatomic particles there is no clear, definite boundary, the word you are looking for is inertia
>>
>>16140817
For the record the predictions failing does mean GR is wrong. Different groups of researchers do not even agree there is a statistically significant anomaly. It's not perturbations in orbits like with Neptune, it's based on correlations between discovered TNOs. One has to model out the selection effects, and that isn't always objective.
With LSST it will be much clearer.
>>
>>16140860
So it would not be accurate to say that Voyager is in interstellar space?
>>
>>16140865
in terms of the gaseous surroundings tapering off, it is, but the gravitational influence of the solar system extends beyond that and any object that gets captured by the solar system and inertially equalized will feel that gravitational tug unless something knocks it out of course, pulling it back towards the solar system even at great distances
>>
>>16140291
It would be one of the more interesting, weird, and unknown aspects of this amazing solar system in which we spiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin.
>>
File: sunprovidesd.jpg (33 KB, 512x329)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
Pluto on a sunny day. not too bad, expected it to be way darker
>>
>>16139554
>Some experts believe "it isn’t even a planet, but a primordial black hole"

If we could only be so lucky
>>
File: Screenshot_5152.png (220 KB, 1105x738)
220 KB
220 KB PNG
>>16140874
All these bright visible pictures of stuff in the outer solar system are presumably going to be taken with a giant lens and exposure time/iso turned way up. For humans anything past Saturn or Uranus is probably going to be so dark you'll need a flashlight. Neptune will at best probably look like the late twilight hour.

Also holy shit Pluto's moons are a massive inclination in their orbital plane, it's tilted way more than the solar system relative to the galactic plane.
>>
>>16140880
>If we could only be so lucky
Why the fuck would having a blackhole this close be good for anything other than nightmare fuel? Utilizing it in any way is pure fiction magnitudes above shit like terraforming Mars or Venus. Yeah sure it would be cool to have one close to study but what would you even realistically do with it? Wow, you poke it and it burns up or crushes whatever you throw at this pile of overly compressed quarks that distorts light around it in such a way that it looks like a hole. Wow, cool.
>>
>>16140885
not really, that's kind of what you'd get. my first impression was also that it's clearly more than a full Moon on Earth (clearly at night).
>In our sky the sun is about 400,000 times brighter than the full moon. That means that from Pluto the sun would still be 250 times brighter than the full moon as seen from Earth.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/under-plutos-sunny-skies-youd-have-to-wear-shades/
>>
>>16140292
>The Oort Cloud has never been observed and scientists treat is as an established fact.
Atoms have never been observed and yet we treat them as an established fact because we still know they exist.
>>
>>16140892
>Atoms have never been observed
Lord, not this shit again, if you want to blatant troll go to facebook or something, no need to shit up this board
>>
File: Pale_Red_Dot.jpg (318 KB, 1280x853)
318 KB
318 KB JPG
>>16140889
Because it would basically be the ultimate gravity slingshot maneuver to Proxima Centauri, someone should calculate how much dV you'd get from it and how much it'd shorten the trip, also at 500 AU away it would basically not effect us at all, not nightmare fuel just a benign object we can study and make use of for interstellar voyages
>>
>>16140889
Maybe use it to slingshot probes into interstellar space?
>>
>>16140892
>Atoms have never been observed
>>16138888
>>
File: frspt-03-1017442-g006.jpg (99 KB, 498x1142)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
>>16140900
Note I'm think this would be in combination with Dynamic Soaring technique to build up as much speed as possible in the outer system, and fling to the blackhole to slingshot to Proxima Centauri at a significant fraction of lightspeed, and slow down against the interstellar medium with the plasma magnet drag device

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/frspt.2022.1017442/full

If its a blackhole maybe they can skip the heliopause soaring manuever altogether too
>>
>>16140900
> it would basically be the ultimate gravity slingshot maneuver
Somehow I never considered this despite giving PBHs a lot of thought, probably because the topic of just how significant their tidal effects would be (if any at all) never came across my mind.
>Rigel Kentaurus
Fucking fat fuck. Gonna have a heart attack billions of years before Sol does, brighten up and go red giant. Should be the next target for starlifting immediately after our own sun.
>>
>>16140925
>Should be the next target for starlifting immediately after our own sun.
Agreed, Sol and Alpha/Proxima need to remain as the core human domain in the universe for centuries
>>
>>16140925
>Somehow I never considered this despite giving PBHs a lot of thought,
Also same it just occurred to me recently and I love the idea a lot, haven't figured out how much it would shorten the trip to Proxima but I expect by a lot
>>
>>16140897
Nobody has ever seen an atom. We have empirical data to confirm their existence but they have not been observed.

Dark matter and energy also falls within this same conversation.
>>16140915
No, nobody has ever seen an atom as it appears to us. Many fancy tricks are required to visualize them. These are just representations as per usual. It is a common myth to claim actual images of atoms.
>>
>>16140934
brother are you implying that if you don't see them with your own eyes under a (visible photons) microscope then they are not real? lmao
do you understand we build semiconductors which have resolution of few atoms?
what do you understand by 'seeing' anon? what is 'seeing' for you? describe
>>
File: Neanderthal.jpg (659 KB, 1137x586)
659 KB
659 KB JPG
>>16140934
Go away, that is all I have to say to you
>>
>>16140939
Bear in mind the wavelength of light we probe with and how big atoms are.

How something like atoms actually look is ultimately meaningless question. Sure, we can visualize charge densities or use shadow masking. But atomic nuclei are smaller than most wavelengths. The range is about 1.6 fm to 15 fm. And as far as I'm aware, there is no wavelength we can meaningfully probe atoms with. So we have to use other methods, and reconstruct from those.

If you actually look at how these microscopes work, they are often times "shadow masks" So again. Nobody has seen an atom. We have seen representations of them. Or shadows if you will. Indirect measurements.

To give you an idea of how impossible that task is, if you wanted to actually image say a Uranium atom, you would need a wavelength smaller than the Nucleus. So say 5 femtometers. (Nucleus is ~15fm). The energy of the resulting photon would be 247969402 eV. Or a frequency of 59958491600000 GHz. Gamma rays usually have a photon energy of about 100 keV. This photon has 250000 keV . The Fission of an atomic nuclei takes about 1 MeV. Your Microscope blasts the nuclei with 250 MeV. You would literally just split the atom by looking at it this way.

>>16140941
Nah, I'm bringing it home here.
>>
>>16140951
Oh I get what you mean, still we have more evidence for atoms existing than dark matter at least
>>
>>16140951
cmon anon what the hell, what is the difference between probing with photons and electrons? only flatearthers go for the "if I'm not seeing it with my eyes it's not real" retardation. it doesn't matter how you gather the info, or what type of info, as long as you can use it to figure out what you are "seeing", no matter the probing apparatus, be it eyes, electron microscope or some LHC detector. how is this an issue for you?
>>
File: 1711757096009806.jpg (19 KB, 309x233)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>16139560
I just realised if there was a black hole within human reach it would get vandalised by people chucking shit into it

How long would it take objects to fade away after they get thrown in?
>>
>>16140970
I know the meme is that it would take "le billion years", but most likely it would vanish the instant it crossed the threshold, any photons would get succed to the center in an instant
>>
>>16141015
The event horizon of an Earth mass black hole is not even 9mm.
>>
>>16141027
And a Sun mass black hole would be around 3km wide. And Planet 9 is clearly not as heavy as the Sun
>>
>>16139560
it'll be a giant abandoned alien space ship
>>
isnt' it conceivable at 1cm wide black hole we could encase it in a space lab? it would be stationary around it, it would cause 1G for researchers so no biggie. at 1G you can look at it with your eyes from like few cm away. would be pretty fucking insane
>>
>>16141044
No, it would evaporate instantly
>>
>>16141050
but that's what a primordial black hole is anon, a small black hole with mass in Earth mass range. it wouldn't evaporate quickly. it's fucking Earth mass, how?
>>
>>16141044
>1cm black hole
tidal forces would rip you apart before you got that close. the region around the event horizon would still require a significant fraction of the speed of light to escape from.

>>16141050
no it wouldn't
>>
>>16141062
what tidal forces? you'd have 1G few cm away, it's even horizon is 10mm. and has the gravity pull of one Earth (general example), hardly unbearable, we thrive at 1G
>>
>>16140872
based JMG enjoyer
>>
>>16141062
I'm fairly certain based off what I've heard and remembered that for a micro black hole it wouldn't be the tidal forces that would kill you, it would be the radiation and heat.
>>
>>16141076
but if it's not feeding on anything it should be relatively clean?
>>
File: 1713302994421982.jpg (13 KB, 233x278)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>>16141060
>but that's what a primordial black hole is anon, a small black hole with mass in Earth mass range
No such things
>it wouldn't evaporate quickly. it's fucking Earth mass, how?
It's physically impossible to form such black holes, the compression forces would blow a core with such low mass apart instantly, yes, I know the argument is that the universe was more dense, but that relies on the assumption that the big bang happened and the universe was indeed compressed, and that in that dense enough state thanks to some magical mcguffin force these black holes were able to form separate from eachother and not combine or absorb any of the material surrounding it, which should have been plenty considering that the entire universe was extremely compressed, resulting in the total conversion of all matter into a black hole
>>
>>16141065 me
>you'd have 1G few cm away,
or is this wrong tho? would it still be 1G that close to one Earth mass? cm away?
>It's physically impossible to form such black holes
can't a small small blackhole, formed in the beginning, grow by feeding on random matter around it? why wouldn't that be possible? grow up to Earth mass.
>>
yeah on surface of Earth we have 9.8m/s, go up and is less, and going down would still make for less, because the matter above you would act on you and weaken it going to the center of the Earth. but with an Earth mass black hole going closer to it there's no mass above countering the pull, so it "feels" like the pull should get stronger and stronger the closer you get to it. so might not be possible, not with Earth mass sized one anyway.
>>
>>16141101
>can't a small small blackhole, formed in the beginning, grow by feeding on random matter around it?
How was it formed? If you have an uniform field of matter there is no gravitational difference between any points in that field, not only that they're suggesting based on different hypothetical models that these primordial black holes were formed in much larger sizes than one earth mass, like several solar masses, which is absolutely massive
>>
ye at -6000km altitude the pull would be 2900m/s^2 shit lmao that's almost 300G or something. no fucking way. you'd have to orbit it, and from further away.
>>
>>16141062
>tidal forces
yes most likely, no way getting that close, I had a brainfart
>>16141116
yeah they're hypothetical at this point.
>>
>>16141128
The second reason why I propose that low-mass black holes would evaporate very quickly is because at such levels of compression and not much matter to push back against the extreme gravitational forces the matter in the core would get dismantled into quark/sub-quark components extremely fast and would no longer be gravitationally or electromagnetically bound and just fly out of the black hole, distributing its "mass" over its corresponding field
>>
>>16141154
not sure that's possible, since there's a Schwarzschild radius and you can't exit the event horizon because of the insane pull. as I mentioned earlier, getting few km away from an Earth mass black hole (of 9mm diameter) would exert 300G on you. and the closer you get the more insane it gets, and when you cross the event horizon not even light can escape it no matter what.
I think they should evaporate in time via Hawking radiation and the smaller they get the faster they radiate
>>
>>16141169
>Schwarzschild radius and you can't exit the event horizon because of the insane pull
This only applies to things coupled gravitationally, the only reason photons get pulled in there is because of the gravitational field tugging on the electromagnetic field, since they're sort of the same thing but not exactly, but hypothetically there should be quantum states of even lower energy which should not be gravitationally bound and could freely whizz around in their own field until they collapse into some composite state. I hypothesize that the g/em fields themselves get compressed, in case of extremely high mass black holes, to the point where the field density becomes too great and they spontaneously decay into lower-energy states, that's why gravitational waves emanate from high-energy collisions despite gravity being a "sucking force" (depends on the frame of reference), the fields get extremely compressed to the point where they can't be compressed any further and any excess bounces off of it (I'm sure there was a word for this for regular explosions but I can't remember it) resulting in a gravitational wave traveling outwards, rather than being pulled inwards, and the compressed field decays into lower energy
>>
>>16141091
And this problem is exactly what distinguishes theoretical physics from real physics
>>
>>16140817
My vote is still on observation bias and there is no planet 9
>>
>>16140833
I remember voyager passing the heliopause a couple years back, which is ~4 times the distance from the sun as neptune, so it's not farther than the diagram shows
>>
>>16141852
they just restored comms with it
https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/nasas-voyager-1-resumes-sending-engineering-updates-to-earth
>>
>>16140849
meant for >>16140833
Fuck.
>>
>>16142130
You know all the information. Kys now
>>
>>16142131
what did he mean by this?
>>
>>16142131
I don't know shit about shit
>>
>>16141104
You'll have to take up this issue with Nibiru high command.
>>
>>16139799
Give me one good reason to let you live once I nab your spaceship, chud
>>
You uninformed retards acting like the Oort cloud contains any mystery never fail to astound me with your ignorance. Is there not a single advanced human browsing this board? Haumea is used as a sort of sumo wrestling ring for bored advanced humans, with Ganymede acting as a waystation for people who can't make the trip in one go. I refuse to believe none of you are aware of this. There is nothing interesting happening in the Oort cloud aside from losers having to kick off of whatever matter they reach after being ejected from Haumea in order to return. Some people carry pouches of rice or stones to use as ballaste but it's usually destroyed prior to ejection so random shit in the Oort cloud is still the primary means of returning to planet. There is literally nothing else going on out there. If you're a normalfag looking for interesting shit in space focus your attention on Ganymede.
>>
>>16140787
Planet 9's proponents estimate that it would be at least a few earth masses, it wouldn't be the typical TNO.
>>
>16144009
>he doesn't know
nigga getting his ass probed tonight.
>>
>>16139594
>>16140704
Normally I would discount Starship for relying on massively complex re-fueling architecture to do anything useful beyond LEO/GTO and call you a deluded muskfag for thinking that its only going to take 6-8 refueling fights in order to fill up its tanks, but expediting a probe out to a theoretical planet 9 may actually be an useful edge case.

>>16140710
Its only been estimated at a few earth masses and its supposedly very far away and thus very dim

>>16141104
Hello /h/

>>16140793
The Sun's hill sphere is at least 1 light year in radius, so even something this far out would still be gravitationally bound

>>16140874
Pluto is much dimmer than earth at less that 1 W/m^2, but that's not much dimmer than the typical room light up by a single bulb.
>>
Bump for interest.
>>
>>16140872
Uh guys should we be getting this close to Saturn
>>
>>16140793
The size of the object doesn't affect how well it's bound
>>
>>16140885
False. Pluto is about as bright as a room with good artificial lighting. It would look totally normal walking around, your eyes would adjust seamlessly.
>>
Why was this post >>16141104 deleted?
Are trannitors that mad about naming a planet after a 2D wolf girl?
>>
Why is everyone so obsessed with em spaceballs
>>
>>16145293
we popped on one spaceball
>>
>>16145293
We are obsessed with them since ancient times, probably since prehistoric times as well. They were literally our gods, dancing around us in the sky
>>
>>16145293
Knowledge for knowledge's sake
>>
>>16140817
If there is anything there it'll probably be a super-earth.
>>
JVPITER will protect us, as he always has.
>>
File: LMAO.webm (231 KB, 520x214)
231 KB
231 KB WEBM
>>16140205
LMAO
>>
>>16140817
Cloaked planet Nibiru, they moved there after Mars got nuked. The deep state will ban any further research for obvious reasons.
>>
File: HTUW_S1_06_002.webm (1.45 MB, 640x360)
1.45 MB
1.45 MB WEBM
>>16145225
>Uh guys should we be getting this close to Saturn--OUARGGHHRGHGH
>>
>>16139560
This would be by far the most intereting and scientifically meaningful.
>>
>>16140205
Could they even cover up the discovery of a black hole in the outer solar system if they wanted to?
>>
>>16145945
I'm not holding my breath, but it would be cool. Though if anything actually out there is "just" a super-earth, it would be good find for the planetary sciences.

>>16145948
A primordial black hole that's few earth masses would be incredibly difficult to detect to begin with just due to how small and how low its luminosity would be.
>>
File: 1433982305117.jpg (214 KB, 500x563)
214 KB
214 KB JPG
>>16145293
When you think about, what is a planet but not a giant perky boob held up by hydrostatic equilibrium?
>>
>>16139554
*Planet 10
>>
>>16146087
see >>16140797 the truth is it wasn't uncommon for objects to be initially classed as planets and then declassed. Ceres was first thought to be a planet and then changed into asteroid after similar bodies were discovered. But of course, this happened before mass media and pop culture were present to generate controversy around such ordinary process.
>>
>>16140793
He ruled out where can be based on what they've searched and what the effects are and that also rules out a lot of sizes. At most it's a size a bit bigger than Earth up to maybe two or three masses
>>
>>16139554
>described by the BBC
bro when the FUCK are they changing their name
>>
>>16140961
The things you see on a TV are not real.
>>
File: 3548fm-3304276801.jpg (159 KB, 966x854)
159 KB
159 KB JPG
>>16146342
>>
File: 1579139173468.png (54 KB, 750x751)
54 KB
54 KB PNG
>>16146229
>See the abbreviation for the British Broadcasting Corporation
>Immediately think of innuendo
Everytime
>>
>>16140934
>Nobody has ever seen an atom.
no, really, fuck off to facebook.
>>
>>16146010
it would be nice if planet 9 turned out to be a rocky planet but we all know it's going to be a frozen neptune-like slush ball
>>
>>16146628

I hope it’s a black hole, if it was, we could use it to slingshot to nearby solar systems with out needing technology too much better than what we have now for space flight.

Secondly, it might spawn a second space race, wether it’s a black hole or a rocky planet with a thick atmosphere that is potentially habitable
>>
>>16139554
>Planet 9 close to being found
Pluto was discovered almost 100 years ago, retard.
>>
File: 485-3427229467.png (70 KB, 852x944)
70 KB
70 KB PNG
>>16146707
if we need a blackhole it will be a blackhole. if we need it the universe provides
>>
>>16146707
a black hole would be cool if only for all the rich tards who will try to enter it thinking it's a gateway to another universe or a way to become immortal.
>>
>>16139560
A primordial blackhole would completely upset every theory in the world for life supporting planets and would further warp our understanding of whether there's life in the galaxy, because all incoming artificial signals may get warped by this blackhole or that "aliens" would use it to direct traffic to us, but we'd only see it as mangled signal because of the gravitational effects of this blackhole.

Would very much append astrobiological sciences.
>>
>>16146858
nice
>>
>>16146628
It could end up being a rocket planet, ~5 Earth Masses is still in the range of a super-earth.

>>16146710
>Pluto
You will never be a real planet

>>16146707
Even if the black hole was sufficient enough to kick a space craft up a decent fraction of light speed you would still plenty of technology for missions out to it, and also for the duration of the interstellar flight

>>16146858
>because all incoming artificial signals may get warped by this blackhole
How? It would only occupy a very small portion of the sky
>>
File: liru-frequencies.jpg (137 KB, 640x480)
137 KB
137 KB JPG
shit did the jannies delete my post about how planet 9 could literally be named after the god of the underwold Liru because there are literally no IAU rules for planets discovered in our solar system. Literally anything goes.
>>16140710
planets are very dim. Planet 9 is expected to be very far, so not much reflected light. What little light it will emit will be in the infrared spectrum, and that ain't expected to be high either. We may need a big mother fucking IR telescope to find it.
>>
>>16139560
I thought that due to hawking radiation small black holes couldn't last that long
>>
>>16147016
Yes

>>16147018
>small black holes couldn't last that long
"small" in that case meaning microscopic, an earth Mass black hole OTOH would last around [math] 10^{50} [/math] years
>>
So what kind of horrific undersea life forms can we expect to find on this new planet? If Pluto can have an ocean then P9 should also have one.
>>
>>16148136
primitive ones at most, in life on Earth terms
>>
>>16148136
I wouldn't worry about it.
>>
>>16139560
>fingers crossed it's a primordial black hole
there could be a small one inside the sun and we would not know
https://www.universetoday.com/164864/could-there-be-a-black-hole-inside-the-sun/
>>
>>16148170
>Based on the helioseismology studies we’ve done, there is almost certainly NOT a black hole in our Sun. Or if there is, it would need to be exceedingly tiny.
anyway, I'd take my black hole as Planet 9 if possible
>>
>>16148136
Pluto in principle can have subsurface oceans but it probably doesn't, the only reason why P9 might is if has a lot of water and a hot iron core.
>>
>>16139560
fpbp I hope the world ends
>>
>>16148722
>it's le black hole to it le destroys everything
>>
There he is. There he goes again. Look, everyone! He posted it once again! Isn't he just the funniest guy around?! Oh my God.

I can almost see your pathetic overweight frame glowing in the dark, lit by your computer screen which is the only source of light in your room, giggling like a like girl as you once again type your little Black Hole thread up and fill in the captcha. Or maybe you don't even fill in the captcha. Maybe you're such a disgusting NEET that you actually paid for a 4chan pass, so you just choose the picture. Oh, and we all know the picture. The "epic" interstellar screencap isn't it? I imagine you little shit laughing so hard as you click it that you drop your Doritos on the floor, but it's ok, your mother will clean it up in the morning. Oh, that's right. Did I fail to mention? You live with your mother. You are a fat fucking fuckup, she's probably so sick of you already. So sick of having to do everything for you all goddamn day, every day, for a grown man who spends all his time on 4chan posting about a fucking stellar remnant. Just imagine this. She had you, and then she thought you were gonna be a scientist or an astronaut or something grand, and then you became a NEET. A pathetic Blackholefag NEET. She probably cries herself to sleep everyday thinking about how bad it is and how she wishes she could just disappear. She can't even try to talk with you because all you say is "PRIMORDIAL BLACK HOLE." You've become a parody of your own self. And that's all you are. A sad little man laughing in the dark by himself as he prepares to indulge in the same old dance that he's done a million times now. And that's all you'll ever be.
>>
>>16140797
>Orbit is irrelevant, mass determines planet status.
Literally not what it says in the IAU declaration
>>
>>16149746
seethe harder sadling
>>
>>16140854
Still more light than at a full moon.
>>
>>16149783
>falling for pasta
lmao newfags
>>
>>16149759
Congrats, you just added 200 planets to the solar system.
>>
>>16139560
>he thinks black holes are

tell you have never calculated a tensor in your life without telling me. Black holes don't exist.
>>
>>16150180
>The International Astronomical Union (IAU) defined in August 2006 that, in the Solar System,[1] a planet is a celestial body that:
>1 is in orbit around the Sun,
>2 has sufficient mass to assume hydrostatic equilibrium (a nearly round shape), and
>3 has "cleared the neighbourhood" around its orbit.
So mass is only relevant so far as it calls for a spherical shape
>>
>>16151031
By this definition, Neptune is not a planet.
>>
>>16151031
Do you think Pluto has a clear orbital neighborhood?
>>
>>16151061
No, Pluto is not a true planet by this definition. I take issue with your claim
>mass determines planet status. Pluto has less mass than Eris, Triton, Europa, the Moon, Io, Callisto, Titan, and Ganymede. It's simply not a planet.
Mass doesn't come into it except so far as to ensure a spherical shape
>>
>>16147016
It'll be called Sol b to conform to IAU conventions
>>
>>16151031
Mercury is not a planet by this definition as it is not in hydrostatic equalibrium.
>>
>>16151986
>as it is not in hydrostatic equalibrium
But it is
>>
>>16139554
A kupier belt object wouldn't be a planet, it at best would be another dwarf planet of which there are many. Ceres is at least round.
>>
>>16152059
If P9 was in the Kuiper Belt we would already have found it.
>>
>>16147064
and the hypothetical object is 8 earth masses or so, right? Yeah.
>>
>it's a super earth
>made mostly from light shit, so it's huge, but has acceptable surface gravity
>tectonic activity still provides heavy stuff, as does space itself
>at 1.2 G, with thick atmosphere and with fusion tech illuminating and heating the place, it's prime real estate
If you were born 4 years from now, would you go pioneer Nibiru, bros?
>>
>>16139554
Everything past Neptune is gay. Gay ice, gay dwarf planets, gay gas, the lot of it. They should rename the kuiper belt to the faggot belt.
>>
>>16152131
Don't forget the fictional never-observed gay Oort Cloud
>>
>>16151032
What's more, Mike Brown, who designed the redefintion that stripped Pluto of its status, is the main guy shilling this Planet Nine thing.
It's perfectly clear that he wants to be the one who discovered the true ninth planet and he won't let anyone stop him.
>>
>>16152528
Uh based?
>>
>>16152528
The whole decision was to strip away headlines from astronomical discoveries. We have dozens of planetary candidate bodies now, but they're not considered planets because they're too far away from the Sun (and thus with too wide an orbits) to have much effect on anything except what is nearby. If Jupiter was in the Oort cloud, it wouldn't be a planet; but if Pluto was in Mercury's position it would. It's insane.
>>
>>16152626
If Jupiter was in the Oort Cloud, there would be no Oort Cloud(provided it exists to begin with). And if Pluto was in Mercury's position, there would be a Kuiper belt there just like in Pluto's actual position. Because Mercury is actually really fucking massive for its size and is able to "clear the neighborhood around it" as the definition says.
>>
>>16152636
False. From that distance, not even Jupiter's gravity would have that great an effect. The Oort Cloud is unbelievably massive.
>>
>>16152636
Also the Sun clears the neighborhood for Mercury, not the other way round.
>>
File: mike brown.png (314 KB, 409x623)
314 KB
314 KB PNG
>>16152626
Mike Brown is such a piece of shit, and probably unbalanced
>>
>Mike Brown is such a piece of shit, and probably unbalanced
>>
What sparked the initial idea a "Planet 9" exists anyways? Is there any hard evidence one even exists at all or is it wishful thinking?
>>
>>16153268
Some astronomers in the latter half of the 19th century thought that Neptune alone was insufficient to fully account for the perturbation of Uranus' orbit. Hence you had some like Babinet and Lowell hypothesizing that there was a roughly 10 Earth Mass planet a good bit further out than Neptune.
>>
>>16146858
upend, not append.
>>
>>16145893
meds. now.
>>
>>16153164
>the butthurt belt of the solar system
/pol/ memes have rotted your brain
>>
>>16153667
>/pol/
Newfag, "the butthurt belt" is a russian 2ch meme, its just one that /int/ and /pol/ subsequently latched onto,.
>>
>>16153268
Mike Brown wants to be the guy to discover the ninth planet, not the amateur Clyde Tombaugh, so he instructed his grad students to try to find some statistical anomalies in kuiper belt object orbits to overinterpret.
>>
bumpo
>>
>>16153268
>What sparked the initial idea a "Planet 9" exists anyways?
The discovery of Pluto, the 9th planet in our solar system.
>>
>>16140792
>It's position was predicted by Le Verrier
The dude who got Mercury's mass wrong by a factor of 2?
>>
>>16140291
There's a reason why the rocky planets are closest to the sun. Gas giant is more probable.
>>
File: Pluto.jpg (485 KB, 1000x1414)
485 KB
485 KB JPG
>>16153164
>>
>>16156778
Gas Giants can be inside of a star's frostline, its why most of the first exoplanets were discovered were 'hot Jupiters'
>>
>>16156778
Gas giants are failed stars. They can appear anywhere inside a planetary disc.
>>
File: iu[1].gif (660 KB, 220x228)
660 KB
660 KB GIF
>>16156834
>>
File: 5845cd230b2a3b54fdbaecf7.png (27 KB, 1092x1037)
27 KB
27 KB PNG
>>16157172
>Gas giants are failed stars.
>>
>>16157077
Gas giants form in the same way other planets do rather than the way the stars and brown dwarfs do, calling Gas Giants failed stars is a category error.
>>
>>16140724
This anon needs to play KSP
>>
>>16157333
It's true. Technically any planet is. The Hertzsprung–Russell diagram should be expanded to include planets.
>>
>>16157359
...and dwarf planets, and moons, and asteroids, and comets, and any object that arises out of a proto stellar system
>>
>>16157362
Yeah. It's really more of an evolutionary system, or the leftovers of one, than a fixed system that the current definitions try to force on it.
>>
>>16154025
he will find it and it will be big, but it won't fit the definition of planet and he will be rightfully blue balled
>>
>>16152626
no, it was so that teachers could have a nice clean map of the solar system
>>
>>16157782
Fag
>>
>>16157580
if it's the size of uranus and neptune they'll probably redefine what a planet is
>>
>>16139554
Speculation. They really want it to be there

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.