[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • Use with [math] tags for inline and [eqn] tags for block equations.
  • Right-click equations to view the source.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

Serina Edition

Previous: >>16125002

We discuss research, DO NOT offer advice (just fucking go see your doctor), make fun of premeds and shitpost.
Keep vaccination/clamping/vitamin K/soliciting advice out of this thread and start your own because it takes a lot of space.
>>
File: 1713772100568494.png (217 KB, 716x659)
217 KB
217 KB PNG
What genes/proteins determine aptitude?
>>
>>16140829
it's not the sole determinant! We are always in balance between nature and nurture.
>>
Starting EM rotation today how long until I get assaulted by a nurse
>>
>>16141094
I almost went on a date with a service's front desk receptionist first sem of ms1 - the woman proceeded to try cancelling our date 1.5 hours before the agreed on time, then when I thanked her for her time and said good bye she wrote a giant screed over text about something (IDK, too long)
I blocked her, don't stick your dick in crazy
>>
File: 1712053234751889.jpg (67 KB, 834x731)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
Can Embryonic Stem Cells form newer tissues to reverse fibrosis damage?
>>
>>16140594
Fuck you guys
The amount of normal children Ive seen get their entire lives fucked over by pills and drugs they never needed is fucking disgusting. I hate this society for ignoring this blatant abuse. In 2013 the DSM got rid of the GAF scale which helped determine of the childs "behavioral issues" were caused from abuse. Fuck this money seeking industry

>>>/r9k/77232127
>>
>>16141094
>he hasnt already been assaulted by a nursoid
how ugly are you?
>>
>>16140594
Really hope the guy from the last thread comes back, I have so many questions
>how the fuck did you get shot in both kidneys with one bullet?
>how are you still alive (assuming this happened -years- ago in the Middle East and didnt get clapped by tyrone recently)
>why not take out loans/credit cards to buy that machine since you’re going to die anyways?
>do you have any close family members to steal a kidney from?
>>
>>16141103
why would you even respond to that in the first place? just ghost that shit
>>
>>16141189
Uh, no. Collagen is gonna stay collagen.
>>
File: dr. chad.jpg (29 KB, 591x708)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>16141250
>totally unbiased retelling of events
take your meds schizo
>>
>>16141497
>he responded to the faggot whining about psychiatry
Off to the sanitarium with you.
>>
>>16141497
You really cant see how that unbiased retelling of events could be happening the other way around? Like, probably to the dude whos taking the fucking drugs? Theres no logic to your point.
>>
>>16141103
>don't stick your dick in crazy
you didn't even fuck her, let alone meet her
>>16141250
psych patients are all nasty, non-compliant, and a drain on the system's resources. particularly borderline and bipolar patients, such evil people
>>
cannot believe neuro and psych are under the same specialty board

one is a real specialty, the other is pseudoscience and money hungry "physicians"
>>
>>16141546
I probably would have fucked her if she had just shut her mouth and shown up, but I ain't about to go through mental illness for a piece of ass
>>
I'm hoping to match into psychiatry so I can put whiney faggots under lock and key legally.
>>
>>16141546
>psych patients are all nasty, non-compliant, and a drain on the system's resources. particularly borderline and bipolar patients, such evil people
How about you don't lock us up and drug us against our will? Maybe then we wouldn't hate you so much?
>>
>>16138258
Married to another physician, probably work part time desu. My plan is to work like .5-.75 FTE (full time equivalent), make 250-350k.

Want to raise a family, and get jacked.

>>16141250
>amount of normal children
>describes absolutely fucked up childhood
yeah, these kids weren't normal dumbass. You're complaining that pills fucked up lives that were already beyond repair. That's not to psychiatry isn't half quackery, but it's ridiculous to blame the psychiatrists for the crazy people's living situation.
>>
do any new doctors work full time? i keep hearing all the old docs that are retiring worked full-time and all the new ones dont work enough to replace them.
>>
>>16141899
>Married to another physician
The rich get richer.
>>
>>16141907
It's a two fold issue. The days of private practice, or small group owned practices are dying, so there's no incentive structure in place to work "more". Back, in the day the private practice/group was extremely profitable, where maintaining services was tantamount to your bottom line, there's also an aspect of responsibility of ownership of both patients and business to work the extra as well. Nowadays most physicians are either hired by a big healthcare system, or are hired in much more consolidated massive group (often backed by the healthcare system, or PE group), so there's a diffusion of responsibility to work extra. That being said, there's also a component of bleak pessimism and laziness among millennials and gen z, that probably bleeds into it all as well.
>>
>>16141908
not as much as you'd think. assuming he isnt a fag, his wife will probably quit medicine or heavily cut back in a few years. https://www.aamc.org/news/why-women-leave-medicine
>>
>>16141846
How about you stop being mentally ill with a high potential for inflicting harm on yourself or others? It's for your own good and the good of others, freak.
>>
>>16141924
>his wife will probably quit medicine or heavily cut back in a few years.
This is exactly why it's alarming that women are now the majority of medical school students. In Japan, they actually modified women's test scores in Japan to combat this.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/aug/08/tokyo-medical-school-admits-changing-results-to-exclude-women
>One of Japan’s most prestigious medical schools has admitted deliberately altering entrance exam scores for more than a decade to restrict the number of female students and ensure more men became doctors.
>The investigation found that in this year’s entrance exams the school reduced all applicants’ first-stage test scores by 20% and then added at least 20 points for male applicants, except those who had previously failed the test at least four times. It said similar manipulations had occurred for years because the school wanted fewer female doctors, since it anticipated they would shorten or halt their careers after having children.
>>
File: diesofdeath.gif (190 KB, 220x220)
190 KB
190 KB GIF
>>16141977
yeah it pisses me off having to compete with DEI roasties who are all going to quit, they're a waste of a seat.
>55% of medical students are 'moids
>40% will retire/go part time within 6 years
>there will be 22% less full time docs
>this doesn't even account for the jeet problem
>mfw midlevels are going to get paid even more soon
>>
>>16141899
>describes absolutely fucked up childhood
Your parents dying means you need to be drugged up on Antipsychotics?
Huh?
Youre most likely a 14 year old indian boy, grow the fuck up.
>>
File: 1688086621641908.png (143 KB, 620x609)
143 KB
143 KB PNG
Should I go for PA or NP?
I'm in year 3 of my RN program, when I complete it I can go right for PA or NP after 2 years of full time RN work expierence. From what I can tell they're pretty similar so it seems like a no brainer to go straight to PA afterwards.
>>
>>16142197
thats one reason i became a midlevel (which is also flooded with women lmao).
>>16142249
NP has better outlooks on scope of practice expansion compared to PA since they dont have physician assistant in their name. several states allow NPs to practice independently while PAs cant.
id personally recommend NP, but im not a nursoid and dont know much more than what i typed above for NPs vs PAs.
>>
>>16141937
I'm guessing you're not a medical professional. If you are, God help us.
>>
File: drfried.jpg (49 KB, 584x603)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
How plausible is it to actually find mob work as an M.D.? Asking for a friend.
>>
>>16142249
go for NP anon, it's the right career decision
just know that I will fight tooth and nail to keep your ilk from independent practice
>>
>>16142278
>just know that I will fight tooth and nail to keep your ilk from independent practice
You won't do shit. Physicians are pussys. NPs will continue to get stronger.
>>
>>16142280
https://www.texmed.org/Template.aspx?id=49812
okay :)
>>
>>16142294
What's nice about asses they fart and shit at you but are nice to lick
>>
>Nursoid babble
>>
>>16142294
That won't do shit. NPs will continue to practice independently. NPs are the future. Simple as.
>>
>>16142303
>see NP in gastroenterology
>anything else bothering you today?
>yeah, I think my left ear canal is inflamed
>uhhhh...I forgot how to check ears. Let me call a physician.
>>
precisely how much shit getting together is required for a random autist to qualify as a pharmacist? ive found myself drifting towards this lately and i dont know if i wanna just fuck about at home and read the occasional textbook or if i should consider actually doing something with this
>>
>>16142307
Nice story.
>>
>>16142315
Nice fag.
>>
>>16142317
We will replace you and there's nothing you can do about it.
>>
>>16142315
Nice mediocre career choice
>>
>>16142320
I make $150k yearly for a fraction of the effort you dimwits put forth and my patients love me.
>>
>>16142323
Nice lying and mediocre career choice.
>>
>>16142325
Keep coping and slaving away in the hospital while I enjoy a robust life.
>>
>>16142331
Okay, keep lying and having a mediocre career.
>>
stop talking to the nursoid
>>
It's hilarious how physicians take so much pride in working needlessly hard and sacrificing so much.
>>
>>16142368
well, it did take them at least 12 years to reach that point.. only autistic or religious people can maintain that level of patience and resilience.
>>
>>16141924
>>16141977
>>16142197

I'm stay-at-home-dad-maxxing. My wife wants to work FTE. I rather be cooking, cleaning, taking care of the kids.

>>16142231
I'm radiology, i have no bone to pick in the fight. I think psych is a fake field as far as i'm concerned, but a kid life is fucked cuz both his parents died, not because he got put on SSRI and vyvanse afterwards.

>>16142249
Just my 2c having worked with both, PA's are way more dependable, teachable, professional, and intelligent. Most of that has to do with the fact that PA school actually has an IQ filter to get in, and at least teach the basic of medical science, meanwhile NP schools have absolutely no quality control or filter mechanism for any of their matriculants. That being said, the job market for both has a decent overlap. Financially speaking if you're already and RN, it's a shorter path with same pay off to just be an NP than being a PA.
>>
can someone tell me why papillary rupture causes mitral regurg and not mitral valve prolapse?
>>
>>16142568
Well, mitral papillary rupture is a form of mitral valve prolapse.

As far as why it causes mitral regurgitation, it's because left ventricular pressure is greater than left atrial pressure.
>>
>>16142427
The kid Im referring to was on Antipsychotics + other shit and literally tweaking the fuck out every day. He had tardives at the age of 16. He didnt deserve that just because he fucking parents died dude. Yes, those ruin your life. And you dont need a drug cocktail because of it regardless.
>>
>>16142427
>I'm stay-at-home-dad-maxxing. My wife wants to work FTE.
I don't see this arrangement lasting.
>>
>>16142644
>mitral papillary rupture
>causes regurg because left ventricular pressure is greater than left atrial pressure
powerful rads pathophysiology knowledge on display, everyone
>>
>>16142776
Even if it doesn't, 600k combine income is more than enough to live quite luxuriously for a family of 4.
>>
>>16142863
not always. i've seen several physicians make 400k+ and still manage to barely scrape by since they love wasting money so much. i also heard they didnt have any investments for retirement.
>>
>>16142644
Thank you. I was just a bit confused between the two. Technically, MVP is a form of mitral regurgitation however it's a specific type of regurgitation. I wonder if this is the right way to categorize it..
>>
>>16142947
>since they love wasting money so much
What are they spending their money on? The physicians I know spend a lot of their money on their kids' private school and vacations.
>>
>>16142947

Sure, but we're both pretty low maintenance people. Also not hard to save for retirement by shoving 100k a year into a couple well diversified ETF's a year, when you're making 600k a year.

>>16142987
I would think of regurgitation as just the backwards flow of blood through the mitral valve. The mitral valve prolapse is just a descriptive class of a couple pathologies who's end result is regurgitation.

So I would just think of it more mechanically. Where regurgitation is just the opposite flow of fluid; and prolapse would be a description of the valve malfuction (portion of the valve going backwards) that would the flow to reverse. There could be other non-prolapse causes of mitral valve regurgitation such as endocarditis, mitral annular calcification, dilated cardiomyopathy, etc. etc.
>>
>>16142427
>I'm stay-at-home-dad-maxxing.
enjoy your future divorce. this outcome is very common
>>
>>16140594
>DO NOT offer advice
Saar, dully noted..

Bencholds will not be advised!

Vary good way of stating this statement. Could not have said better by myself. There is not a simpler better way of saying such a wording for use in a sentence. Perfection.
>>
>>16142993
shit for their wives, not paying back their debts on time (they will still get loans because theyre doctors but the interest goes up), getting loans for multiple new expensive cars, getting rid of the cars after just a few years and getting new ones, paying for all their kids' random expensive shit, etc.
>>
is pursuing an MD a good idea if I want to be a rich stud that fucks?
>>
>>16143570
Why bitch wife cheated on me with an MD.
>>
>>16143409
Do not fucking redeem it
>>
>>16142863
I grew up on 150k family income as a kid and we had a huge house in a nice district, this was as recent as '20 that I graduated. How the hell do doctors waste that much money? Beyond a decent car, a gaming PC and some other electronics, and maybe home decor stuff I really can't see the point in wasting all my money on dumb shit or even WHAT I would spend it on (IDK maybe vacations? But I like hostel experience at least till my 40s because I'm a loner otherwise)
>>
>>16140594
So how does college teach you an entire section in like a month efficiently?
>>
>>16140594
What's wrong with vitamin K anyway
The other vitamins are shilled harder
>>
>>16143409
You are welcomed sir
>>
Is fungi growth in urine really normal?
>>
>>16144093
Do you mean there's fungus in your urine, or fungus grows in your urine when you leave it in the toilet for months on end because you have zero hygiene skills?
>>
>>16144100
It grows when i leave it in bottles to check it for fungus
>>
>>16144110
So you haven't gotten it tested in a sterile lab, you just piss into bottle and then leave it? Of course fungus is gonna grow eventually. Fungus is everywhere, and it uh, uh finds a way.
>>
>>16144138
Damn
>>
i am really starting to hate medicine, i don't believe in it no more
i will finish my residency and then fuck off to do something else or work part time somehow just to get by
>>
>>16144274
>i am really starting to hate medicine, i don't believe in it no more
What happened, anon?
>>
>>16144267
Don't tell me you were trying to self diagnose by pissing into bottles and letting it culture lmfao
>>
>>16144337
Was culturing my piss from drinking water
Pretty sure i have a yeast infection but that's unrelated
>>
Also look at my piss
Like diamonds
>>
Pretty sure there's a 50 percent chance that i get kidney stones within the next 2 years2
>>
Holy fuck man drink SOME water
>>
>>16144434
I haven't drank water on purpose since i was 14 years old
No fluoride in me
>>
70% water solution
>>
>>16144444
checked but wasted on tranny thread and tranny comment
>>
>>16144274
i can see fucking off after you paid all your debt, but not right out of school.
>>
>>16144437
You finna get gout my negus
>>
>>16143029
>>16143700
>>16142863
>>16142947
Nothing money. Federal, state, FICA (fica up to 170k) and local halves it so 600k might as well be 300k and 400k might as well be 200k if you're a single filer. If you started from nothing you realize it's nothing to be grateful for especially with all the retards who were magically born with money like the dumby in this thread with parents making $150k a year. My parents had nothing and inherited nothing and I will inherit nothing in the literal sense. The guy with 150k parents is in for a million plus dollar inheritance. Meanwhile sportsball players make millions and the people who own them make billions. If you ever met multi hundred millionaires you'll realize they have often are average or above average intelligence and simply have what they have from generations of wealth.

As for WHY these chads would choose to maximize expenditures and minimize savings, it's quite obvious they're content with being a physician and value money now over some imaginary potential sum to be realized in their 60s. Not to mention nice houses cost 2M plus. It's called lifemaxxing.

Unlike midwits like you who went into medicine for "prestige" or to "help people" (this intention often paradoxically inflicts the worse decision making outcines as its rooted in moralizing not a genuine desite to allay a disease) and then realize they don't give a shit about any of it and just want to budget and save and pay off their heckin debterinoos and retire in your geezer years. You sort are actually the most greedy and least generous. You'd never consider leaving early or periodically to just live your pathetic fantasy because of your nest egg.

It's like Mussolini said. Better to live like a lion for 10 years than a sheep for 100.
>>
>>16144535
The debt isn't secured by anything. Why should he pay it off? Retard and midwit move. He should take on more debt while he can qualify for physician mortgages and then never touch the student debt which would qualify him for prolonged deferment time and again. I can't imagine how big of a cuck you need to be to think universities, banks and the state deserve their money back. He shouldn't give them a dime.
>>
>>16144816
150k kid here. My parents hustled from third world poverty to get us into the US and make their money (I was born when my dad made 30k and 150k was only by the time I was 12 with us still in the poverty mindset beyond the house).
Besides the rest of your schizobabble, I don't even have student debt thanks to scholarships through college and t20 med school monies so it's not like I'll be lugging around loans. I just genuinely don't see the point of dumping money on McLarens and shit instead of a
1. Nice colored new Porsche Cayman that I can actually rev out on the streets and keep in good condition for cheap ($70k)
2. Royal Enfield motorcycle to putt around town in style ($5k)
3. Gaming PC ($1k)
4. Apartment near hospital or house in nice school district (variable but I'd say $700k is a good median in the near future IDK where the fuck you're pulling 2mil from)
5. Yearly vacations where I can slum it ($2k/vacation)

Other than that, legit what is there to buy? Other than the house I can easily afford all of that in one or two years of post-tax salary as any specialist
>>
>>16144831
good taste
I also grew up poor and the only thing I would add to your list is nice clothes

and maybe paying for a house cleaning service
>>
>>16144831
>I am from a povo background
It shows.
>>
>>16144816
you should probably get back on your meds... nothing you said even makes coherent sense.

>>16144831
for the most part I agree, once you hit around 150k-200k the material living condition for families doesn't change much until you start hitting 7 figure income levels.

the main difference will be savings though; with how compounding investing works out, the main difference between retirement and inheritance.
>>
>>16144774
Why would it give you gout
And i can't get that i have metabolic acidosis
>>
>>
>>16144774
How so? His urine doesn't have the coloration of high uric acid content.
>>
>>16144831
>what is there to buy?
NTA but you have no imagination. I used to net $4000 a month after expenses. Couldn't use it other than for occasional big purchases because everything I wanted costed between $10,000 to several million dollars.
>>
>>16145113
Nice clothes to me is like 4 REALLY nice full suit separates in different colors, probably adding up to $6-8k total with the associated shirts and ties and such. And I don't need them all at once either, so that 6-8k will probably be split over multiple years. Beyond that, regular nice polos and shirts and shit isn't much especially since I'm a Costco man through and through
>>16145297
What did you want to buy that was so much? I derive a lot of joy from finding and haggling on good deals
>>
>>16145476
>What did you want to buy that was so much? I derive a lot of joy from finding and haggling on good deals
Property, vehicles, watches, technology and gadgets, sartorial clothing, livestock, trailers, RVs, Peterbilt 18 wheelers, books, audiophile equipment, motorcycles, aircraft, medical procedures both therapeutic and cosmetic, medical equipment for the same ends, credential enhancements, fine dining, appliances (Subzero, Wolf), grills, hardwood and stone flooring, fragrances, massage chairs, 20th century paintings and sculptures, musical instruments, non tax vehicle protected investments, and personal tutors and assistants, expensive furniture. Hundreds of thousands of dollars. I want these things for myself. If you've ever been to an expensive area, you see obscenely wealthy people who are interested in such items solely for conspicuous consumption.
>>
Stupid fucking /med/cels
>>
>>16145741
Conspicuous consumption is unironically the most retarded part of being wealthy. I've already seen my mom succumb to it as our ancient Volvo is breaking down and she wants nothing less than the latest in German """luxury""" thanks to corporate brainwashing. I like the cheap versions of all those things because they're cheap and accessible. No point in even getting shit like cosmetic surgery or ridiculously expensive appliances, wearing your wallet just to flex on the poors is moronic - how many ways can somebody build a stove to hike its price to 10k?
You can want these things for yourself but ultimately Mammon is evil and not the reason I entered medicine (not even Christian, just is). I could easily have just gone for industry with my 80k entry level engineering job offer and invested the remainder to make more money long-term, but Virchow is my hero and I want to follow in his footsteps of power
>>
There are, at most, 6 people itt that are med students, residents, or doctors. The rest are schizos or nursoids. Also the optometry bro. Remember this.
>>
what % of your patients dont speak English? im looking forward for when i get out of here and don't have to deal with every other exam being in spanish.
>>
File: 1699917873136.png (87 KB, 287x307)
87 KB
87 KB PNG
>>16146059
I'm pre premedschool
>>
File: 077.png (365 KB, 646x595)
365 KB
365 KB PNG
>>16146059
>The rest are schizos or nursoids.
>nursoids
As in..w-women?
>>
>>16146266
Yeah, or gay Hispanic men with amazing hair
>>
How to delete posts on 4chan.com
>>
>>16146255
mousey you are quite literally brain damaged and don't have the executive function to hold down a minimum wage job, let alone attend college, let alone become a doctor
>>
>>16146280
Wow mean
>>
New patient to room 17 from EMS
>>
>>16147167
Fine fuck I'll go see them.
>>
No, let me go see him
>>
>>16147464
Thanks for volunteering 45 y/o male ffs after drinking 750ml of vodka over 2 hours he's still drunk and didn't tolerate the CT cervical spine so he's still in the collar but we got the CT head and he's cleared there so go ahead and clean him up and see if there's anything to repair btw he has a lot of hair and it's all caked up with blood bye.
>>
>>16147472
OK well I'm not a nurse so the other anonymous can do it
>>
>>16147475
Oh. Then nevermind let's just sit and shittalk the surgery team I'll get one of the students to clean that guy up.
>>
Can melanin be folded like a prion disease
>>
Can calcitonin be folded like a prion disease? For interesting effects with lithium
>>
I don't care about blood but poo is gross
>>
Where can I find black market alteplase or streptokinase asking for a friend

Yes I can feel my face
No I'm not stroking out
>>
Medically speaking, how do I stop feeling lonely all the time
>>
I got accepted into medical school. I'm so fucking happy.
>>
>>16147867
Congrats anon, US?
>>
>>16147788
find a satisfying addiction
>>
File: apu thinking.png (23 KB, 741x568)
23 KB
23 KB PNG
How did you guys get started with studying medicine? What are some good resources for a retarded idiot who aint never finished 11th grade but wants to learn about drugs and hormones and stuff?
>>
>>16148198
Don't bother.
>>
>>16148198
Wikipedia
The important part is that you need a motivation. This could be as simple as being interested in how caffeine affects our body or as complex as trying to understand ontogenesis/embryogenesis (which I don't recommend).
>>
>>16148198
As a hobbyist, check out YouTube videos or read Wikipedia it's the most you'll ever need. If you want to learn medicine you'll unironically need to start with biology. From the ground up. At a university.
>>
File: amphetamine.png (91 KB, 600x461)
91 KB
91 KB PNG
>>16148256
I like reading wikipedia and I understand some simple stuff, but shit like picrel gets overwhelming because every single thing it its own article that links to like 10 other articles you need to read beforehand, and it feels like reaching some sort of a starting point is near impossible (or maybe I'm just a brainlet, I also have zoomer attention span and I just get stuck on wikipedia for hours). It's difficult to stay structured.
>>16148277
>need to start with biology
Yeah I've been trying to find biology 101 courses but idk if I want to pay like $300 for something that may or may not be good at all. I vaguely remember some basic concepts from hs like a few enzyme and hormone interactions, immune responses, antibodies, etc. Should I just go to a book store and buy some textbooks?
>At a university
I unironically want to enrol in an online "undergraduate certificate" thing that supposedly lets you get into uni in australia, but I feel like I should already know a bunch of things before I start that.
>>
>>16148315
Actually I also got filtered by Wikipedia neurology.
t. >>16148256
>>
>>16148198
https://archive.org/details/BoronAndBoulpaepTextbookOfMedicalP/page/n715/mode/1up
>>
i had to suture this girls head at 4am in the ER last night, 6cm laceration on her head after her drunk boyfriend punched her in the face and she hit the wall. frontoparietal fx and subdural bleeding, she'll be fine, but damn.
>>
>>16148839
Good work anon
I was on peds ED so it was mostly viral infection bs
>>
>>16148855
respect, i struggle with kids below 10y. im in surgical ER, so when they come with super vague belly aches and their parents are understandably stressed, and i got to explain why im not going to put their kid into a CT just to "check".
>>
>>16148839
I'm placed in obgyn in an empty labour room. I'm bored as shit.
>>
Cum
>>
Cum is only 2-4% sperm, and only 3 to 10 % of sperm is active
>>
>>16148921
I understand people being worried because they lack medical expertise, but the inefficiencies introduced by hypochondria must be enormous
>>
last few finals of optometry school this week then it's off to externships for a year (and more nationalized tests woooo....) wish me luck, /med/bros.
>>
>>16151047
best luck
>>
>>16151047
Luck to you eye man
>>
File: 1701957818690542.jpg (205 KB, 600x689)
205 KB
205 KB JPG
all in one go or 1.5-2L a day?
>>
>>16151047
So you're...good at eyes?
>>
>>16151924
I do not like this image
>>
>>16151820
>>16151838
thanks, friends :).
>>16151947
Yes.
>>
File: F1kWx_EagAAFePE.jpg_large.jpg (197 KB, 1280x1280)
197 KB
197 KB JPG
Going to fill the sci wiki /med/ page up with lots of information from sources
>>
>>16152143
there's a /med/ page?
>>
>>16140594
What specialty will allow me to work 2-3 days a week after residency?
>>
>>16151963
I don’t like alcoholics either
>>
>>16152169
No
>>
>>16151924
The 1.5 a day (drain slowly) i read in the lungs section and i forgot what trick question was in this image that i saw previously. It also doesn't look like an emergency unless they're pregnant
>>
>>16145741
>personal tutors
That's a good thing to spend money on. I'm hoping to get better at drawing and I'd want to hire a teacher for that. Learning to play saxophone might be another good one too.
>>
Is there any risk in smoking nettles? I mean the terpinols, vitamins, chlorophyll, etc.
I want to offer free nettle leaf nuggets that people can smoke with their tobacco to cut down on that or pad out buying it, but without giving them cancer
>>
>>16152559
inhaling any smoke is carcinogenic and bad for you
>>
is there any risk to taking ginseng + ginkgo + st john's wort?
>>
>>16140594
List all the nasty shit that happens when you get older, 50-60+, that schools dont teach and docs dont talk about much.
Here's some.
You get long thick hairs growing out of your ears. If you pluck them out you will eventually get some sort of infection in the follicles which will then drive you nuts itching and you will not be able to sleep for days. Bonus points: Also long thick hairs growing out of your nostrils. Triple bonus points: Some poor cunts get hairs growing out of the bridge of their nose.

All those injuries you got when you were younger and they healed? No they didn't. Not really. All those injuries will come in later life. You will rediscover all sorts of aches and pains arising from decades old fractures, severe sprains, torn ligaments. Only they dont get better this time. Fun!

Your digestive system starts to malfunction slowly. You will fart more, lots more, and you get shitty pants because every time you fart a little bit of shit is expelled. Expect to have to shower two or three times a day and change clothes every time. Got to love doing extra laundry. Also you will less have control over your bladder. Get used to having to waggle your dick for a good minute after taking a piss otherwise a few drops will seep out after you tuck it back inside your pants. Ever wondered as a kid why old people smelled funny? Well now you know. Its was a faint whiff of piss and feces you were getting.

Well that enough happy thoughts about your future from me. List some other cunty shit that happens when you get older that most people dont know or talk about.
>>
>>16140594
I have an exam of general pathology in 2 weeks and I only know a fraction of the program. I'm so disappointed in myself
>>
>>16153003
Inhaling smoke isn't inherently bad for you
>bbbttbut it is!
So is eating hot food (carcinogenic)
I will avoid saying that it's better than cigarettes because no added chemicals, so answer the question please
>>
Smoking nuggets of nettles (the scum you can get off the top when boiling them) is the same as smoking tobacco and all effects were placebo. But i wouldn't like to smoke it all the time. Putting it in my tobacco will make that last longer and is the exact same in texture and burn and effects are made up trying to expect something, smoking it on its own unmixed. Adding the salts back in which form when nettle water is evaporated (avoiding mannitose in dead nettle, maybe flowering nettle) by using them in water to spray back on to the nuggets while drying with hydrophobic/baking soda and heat, or ether/chloroform spray with salts dissolved
Smoking it with tobacco will probably take multiple pouches
Maybe nuggets can be sprayed with whatever and smoked, especially nettle salts. Producing effects with the nettle salts would be good to make it actually do something. All that matters right now is the nuggets not having negative effects or causing cancer
>>
>>16140594
I'm going into my senior year of undergrad and I already feel fucking burnt out. Tired of putting up with shitty teachers, retarded classes, extreme social isolation, etc. What should I do? I'm too deep into it to not at least try to get into medschool. Had a slightly above average MCAT and a mediocre GPA that will need a postbac, just around 3.1 cum and 3.3 sci. Just so sick of this shit. I wish someone told me in highschool I could have been a monk for a career and just play my organ music and make beer and garden and pray all day. This world is such a scam.
What am I to do? Part of me wants to just run off to the mountains in Germany with my accordion when I graduate and just figure things out there (Im American)
>>
>>16153658
Can anyone recommend any postbac or masters programs to me? Thinking of UNE's 1 year anatomy cert thing. This shit is all just so expensive and if I don't get into medical school I'm going to be actually fucked.
>>
>>16153300
>you didn't say what I wanted to hear
If you want to smoke nettles like a drooling retard, go ahead.
>>
>>16153682
T. Some guy taking to whoever invented tobacco
>>
Just got bad news.
Due to bone density braces are a risk that I can't take. I have developed a malocclusion, it's a cross bite. I am worried about TMJ and sleep disorders. Should I blow my brains out or can I just live with this for now? It does scare me when I am taking and I hear a small crack on that side on my jaw joint
>>
Alright fuckers
Can you give me resources to understand biochemistry and human biology?
I am unironically too fucking stupid to understand most of what they talk about in my classes, got like a month-ish to prepare
>>
>>16153658
You've already posted this, asshole.
>>
Is 20 yo to old to get in to medical research? It would take about 6 years to get a bsc + MD + PhD. My current field is in medical health and it's underwhelming.
>>
>>16153809
Are you fucking kidding me? Shut the hell up you newborn.
>>
>>16153837
All great scientific discoveries are done by people in their early mid 20s if not earlier. Now that this is proved through data analysis, what is the point of getting a phd at such an old age except vanity and cope?
>>
>>16153658
you can always go to optometry school instead or drop it all and do nursing for that sweet 6figure salary right out of school.
my buddy went to undergrad with me then went to grad school, dropped out, and went into nursing and he's much happier now.
>>
>>16153098
More shitty stuff that happens as you get older!

Your finger nails become ridged and the nails begin to split. This is a real cunt as split nails will catch on absolutely fucking anything. Very ouchy when you give them a good tug. They never heal either, so get used to it.

You start getting a variety of weird skin conditions that defy exact diagnosis so the docs tell you it is probably some virus and so you realize they have absolutely no fucking idea and furthermore dont care. They give you an expensive prescription and tell you to try rubbing some of this messy greasy ointment on it, so you do that for weeks and it does absolutely nothing, but now you have some stains on your clothes that will not come out in the wash.

The fillings in your teeth that you got as a kid or young adult? THEY FALL OUT! And that root canal you got five to ten years ago? Bet the dentist didn't tell you it was temporary fix. You were always going to lose that tooth.

More fun shit as you get older in the next post. Share your insights and stories so we can all learn what a horror growing old is.
>>
>>16153847
Fleming was 47 when he discovered penicillin, Pasteur was 63 when he first tested his rabies vaccine, Koch was 40 when he discovered the cause of tuberculosis, and the list goes on. You're very stupid, anon.
>>
>>16152187
Hospitalist?
>>
>>16153229
it's time to watch pathoma! (3 times at least)
>>
guys help me get pp hard plz
>>16154173
>>
>>16154196
You are drinking too much shit. Like sodas, coffee and tea. It fills up you bladder constantly and that in turns kills your erection. I bet as soon as you lose your erection you have to pee, right? And then its only about half a cup or some stupid little amount. Yeah, that's exactly what is happening when you constantly drip feed your bladder as a result of drinking shit all the time. Just drink a shit load of water a few times a day, cut out sipping the crap drinks, and you will be fine. Give it a day or two to kick in. Report back and tell me I was right.
>>
>>16153725
sorry anon you'll have to ask a fucking filthy shiteating cumsucking goddamn motherfucking dentist or maxillofacial surgeon
>>
In regards to sublingual drug administration, is the half life the same as oral, just with initial higher concentration levels?
>>
>>16154598
yes, assuming the drug component does not change.
>>
wish me luck at conference bros
might be able to win presentation competition
med student vs consultants and the consultants' poster is copy+paste of their abstracts
>>
>>16154781
good luck, bro.
>>
>>16140594
Ah may as well ask here why the fuck not. I have a relative with stage-4 prostate cancer, spread a bit to spine and hip. He's on the androgen-deprivation shots, but for whatever reason the urologist hasn't ordered scans to track progression. Is this normal? The relative has nephrostomy tubes in both kidneys, and he wants them out - but we can't know what the timeline is for that unless we know the blockage from the PC is cleared. Which leads me to wonder, why aren't there any scans being done? He's due for another shot in a month (they're done 6 months apart), I would think you'd want data on progress.

I am not sure if I should tell this doctor to get his shit together or not or if I've over-reacting.

t. fully employed masters in biomedical engineering
>>
2025 med school admissions cycle has officially opened, how fucked am I?
>3.1 overall GPA (3.3 science)
>Non-trad 25 y/o biology major
>Spent 3 years working construction
>fucked around in community college for several years
>embarrassing amount of retaken classes
>good letters of recommendation
>2 years of volunteering at a free clinic (direct patient care)
>emt card and ~1 year of paid research experience
>fluent in Spanish
>diverse on paper (1st gen immigrant from Argentina) but actually white

Also I’m just not going to apply to DO school, ugh I know, sorry. yeah sure I know it’s “the same thing”, but I’m just not gonna. Caribbean time?
>>
>>16155640
You already asked this multiple times, asswipe.
>>
>>16155640
if you need to ask, just become a nurse. you obviously dont have the chops to be a varsity medstudent.
>>
>>16155740
>>16155818
Look dude I’m not going to be a DO, I know it’s the same thing. Not doing it
>>
500+ grams of protein, fat, carbs, respectively. Actually 400g of fat
26 grams of fibre
5000 grams of arginine alpha keto glutarate
(And a bottle of water. Also had mannitose - a diuretic - a week ago and i poo and peed out my kidneys)

The picture is unedited
Also i have been tasting egg or gluten all day in my mouth. I didn't die on the toilet like i have been mouth doing for a while
>>
2D poo
2D poo
>>
>>16140594
Been fucking my exams up for days, feel suicidal. How do you guys manage these feels?
>>
File: 1687574662515.jpg (356 KB, 1152x1100)
356 KB
356 KB JPG
>>16155561
been a while since I was in the oncology space, but usually incline/decline in PSA is an easy and decent enough way to track response to therapy. the PSMA PET/CT for imaging prostate cancer is just sometimes used more conservatively, depending on the oncologist, since the prep is more uncomfortable for the patient, it's expensive, and like any PET, it might just pick up on residual signal from the treatment itself and fudge things (any inflammation will be PET-avid). but if it really has been 6+ months since the last scan, I wouldn't think it crazy to raise an inquiry as to why another hasn't been done.
>>
Horse of the day: generally opportunistic diseases but more specifically the ones that are fungal >>16140594
>>16140594
>
See image. See also: Fungal involvement of the adrenals, pituitary, thyroid, pancreas, and gonads is well recognized. On the other hand, individual with diabetes mellitus and Cushing’s syndrome are susceptible to fungal disease as a result of immune dysfunction.
individual with diabetes mellitus and Cushing’s syndrome are susceptible to fungal disease

HORSE of the day: Disease, fungal
>>
>>16156165

"involvement of the adrenals, pituitary, thyroid, pancreas, and gonads is well recognized. On the other hand, individual with diabetes mellitus and Cushing’s syndrome are susceptible to fungal disease as a result of immune dysfunction. Mucormycosis, candidiasis, and dermatophytosis occur more commonly in diabetes. Exogenous as well as endogenous Cushing’s syndrome is another endocrine disorder that predisposes to systemic fungal diseases"
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK572246/#:~:text=involvement%20of%20the,systemic%20fungal%20diseases
>>
If you had to take an antidepressant, would you take an SSRI (mild side effects, besides sexual dysfunction) or mirtazapine (no sexual dysfunction, but makes you fat and tired)?

Asking for a friend who's a doctor
>>
>>16156246
SSRI
probs fluoxetine
>>
>>16155561
>>16156075
^ this is pretty accurate. PSA is pretty good biochemical marker for progression. Imaging would not add much unless the PSA is increasing.

>>16155640
Why did you even bother posting if you're not going to give an MCAT score?

The GPA is within range of USDO consideration depending MCAT score.
Most USMD will straight up filter you based on gpa, unless you were to score 520+ on MCAT.
>>
>>16156346
I get my scores back in 2 more weeks, I’ll be back
>>
I have erectile disfunction unless I take capsules of oregano oil. I feel like I have untreated prostatitis. What do I do? I'm from Canada where seeing the doctor is free.
>>
i dont believe hospitals are hiring. its lies.
>>
File: 1419266001771.jpg (35 KB, 529x502)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>16155892
Then you are either an idiot or you don't actually want to be a physician. Don't worry though, you will save more patients by not going to med school lol
>>
File: futurama02.gif (67 KB, 410x307)
67 KB
67 KB GIF
>>
File: 1707540484801631.png (141 KB, 500x628)
141 KB
141 KB PNG
Hey everyone, I'm a newfag around these parts, I've always been a bit skittish to roam around in boards where I have no expert knowledge of the topics talked about, but I do love medicine and studied it before my economy just went completely to shit. I hope you all have a good day/week and fuck analytical chemistry.
>>16156246
>>16156316
I'm taking fluoxetine for MDD and some other stuff, so far it's been the one antidepressant that works the best for me. I've taken sertraline and that one just never seems to work for anyone I've met, regardless of their condition. I've taken desvenlafaxine + aripiprazole (doc said it could help as a mood stabilizer somehow?) and it kinda helped, but it didn't completely work for me.
Now I'm just on fluoxetine, 40mg a day and I can REALLY notice if I forget a dosis. It does help me quite a bit with motivation and getting enough energy in the day to do the stuff I need to do.
>>16156057
Shitposting and looking at cute animal videos. Or music.
>>
File: 1710127118038570.jpg (16 KB, 198x328)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
>>16153098
>Hairs becoming a lovecraftian nightmare with their own mind and just taking over when you grow older
Damn, I wonder why that happens. Specially since so many old folks have issues with their head hair falling out, but then they have these thick ass hairs on their nose, ears, chest, and other body parts.
Seems like all these issues happen because the body becomes less elastic as we grow older, and we can't restore our tissues as effectively as we did when we were young. I'm particularly curious as to why DNA replicating gets worsened over time in us humans and most mammals, considering some other animals seem to have the ability to never lose that capacity to correctly restore their DNA, like axolotls for example.
I feel like one of the most worrying things about the future is Alzheimers and dementia becoming more and more common as we prolong our lifespans, but not manage to learn how to stop the accelerated aging we're experiencing, somehow.
>>16154039
Some of my dentists have told me throughout life that teeth fixing are not permanent and will not assure you that your teeth won't fall out. Hell, even root canals have a probability of making you lose your teeth in the future since the pulp's not in it providing fresh blood to the tooth anymore. It's more like trying to prolong it's useful life.
Is it common for nails to become uhh... Bendy, as you grow older, though? Or is that a me issue?
>>
>>16140594
>ibuprofen gives me a stomach ulcer within a week
>try fighting it with gaviscon but it keeps coming back
>get rx'd famotidine
>stay on it for months, eventually escalating to like 80mg a day
>no sides and bloodwork is fine but just isn't cutting it at all
>doc gets me on esomeprazole
>first day, literally piss blood
>say fuck it, throw the box away
>start applying transdermal melatonin (300mg) to my stomach
>toss in bpc-157 arginate to boot
>symptoms remiss within a day

wow, it's that easy
>>
>>16154781
well, did you win?
>>
>>16156346
>>16156075

thanks anons
>>
>>16156952
>Omeprazole
>Piss blood

Lmao what a fag
>>
Should i cite statistics on fags gaping destruction of their rectal health to my proctologist so he knows im based and does a good job
>>
>>16156972
it hasn't happened yet
I'll let you know when it does
>>
Is 3g/6g (1/2 boxes) of quetiapine enough to od on? i know its not even worth trying to od on my other drugs because that will just cause serotonin syndrome or some shit
>>
>>16142427
>I'm stay-at-home-dad-maxxing
Ahh the cuckold route, interesting choice
>>
>>16155561
>>16156075

Radfag here. PSMA PET CTs are also only really good for well differentiated prostate cancer. The more differentiated the cancer is, the more like normal prostate it will act, and it will produce a lot of PSMA. Like the other anon said, sometimes other things can actually produce PSMA or cause uptake of the tracer such as inflammation, but generally you ignore low levels of nonsuspicious uptake. For instance, if you see relatively homogenous uptake in the prostate/prostate bed (depending on if surgery was done) that doesn't correspond to a mass or lymph node, it's almost certainly not prostate cancer. And if there's ever any doubt, you just check it on a follow-up scan. But they are indeed expensive and they aren't really "that" necessary because a standard CT chest/abd/pel can generally find prostate mets. A bone scan is also a very cheap method of screening bones which doesn't rely on the cancer being differentiated.

As the other anons said, if the PSA is stable or declining and there aren't any new/worsening symptoms, then there's no reason to look for new mets. I think it's standard to pretty much only do one scan a year unless they are monitoring a high grade malignancy and need to track treatment response a little closer.
>>
>>16156952
>take drugs
>take drugs
>take drugs

Wow
>>
A lot of fungal infections (including histoplasmosis) can affect the thyroid
So now it is interesting that my doctor took a TFT when i saidi have one
>>
File: 1710444200520075.jpg (39 KB, 711x620)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
Got all A's this semester again
>>
not seeking advice, sharing because i have no one to discuss this with
have some scary skin changes on my peepee, got a biopsy today. post biopsy peepee looking pretty bad, very big black scab, i really hope it heals well. also i really hope it isn't cancer or something similarly terrible / incurable. health anxiety is a bitch. anyways, thats all.
>>
>>16156246
i'd take bupropion
>>
even if i don't reply I read your posts anon
okay??
>>
>>16158340
Nice!
>>
>>16157684
>>16156346
https://radiopaedia.org/articles/candida-pneumonia?lang=gb
Although there is generally poor findings between radiography and pathological findings

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.