[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: animal.gif (1.95 MB, 444x252)
1.95 MB
1.95 MB GIF
If light is massless energy expanding out selflessly into its surroundings, then how does einsteins e=mc2 factor in here?

I don't understand how plants grow and it hurts my hwead.
>>
>>16145106
It doesn't matter.
>>
>>16145106
e=mc^2 is used to derive rest mass, photons are said to have a rest mass of 0 but I haven't figured out yet how that makes sense
>>
>>16145106
>>16145110
[math]E^2 = (mc^2)^2 + (pc)^2[/math]
>>
>>16145106
>I don't understand how plants grow and it hurts my hwead.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photosynthesis
>>
>>16145119
So a photon is a massless field of energy.
We call it electromagnetic radiation, or at least the visable portion of it.

But the name electromagnetic radiation would imply that it has mass, no?
>>
>>16145126
Getting in all the questions I wasn't allowed to ask at school here.
>>
if light doesnt have mass then how do black holes stop light from escaping?
science BTFO yet again
>>
Einstein was retarded and light proves him wrong.
>>
>>16145126
Not really. For entirely different reasons its kind of complicated with the photons, but in relativity nothing with mass can ever reach the speed of light (in order to that, it would need Infinite energy) so we kinda agreed that photons are massless.
>>
>>16145195
>if light doesnt have mass then how do black holes stop light from escaping?
That's because you have the mistaken belief that black holes attract other masses only due to their own sheer mass. In truth, black holes distort spacetime to such a degree that past a certain point (of no return) all escape routes are pointing toward the centre of the black hole itself. Thus, in order to escape it you would have to accelerate to infinity using a limitless energy source i.e. it's impossible to escape. So light i.e. photons "fall into" the black hole once they are past the event horizon, as all the route they can possibly take will lead them into the belly of the beast.
>>
>>16145566
spacetime is a mathematical relation not a physical object

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.