[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • Use with [math] tags for inline and [eqn] tags for block equations.
  • Right-click equations to view the source.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: scientist lookalike.jpg (85 KB, 1024x576)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
How to Recognize Different Types of Scientists From Quite a Long Way Away edition

previous >>16228759

This thread exists to ask questions regarding careers associated to STEM.
>Discussion on academia-based career progression
>Discussion on penetrating industry from academia
>Or anything in relation to STEM employment or development within STEM academia!

Resources for protecting yourself from academic marxists:
>https://www.thefire.org/ (US)
>https://www.jccf.ca/ (Canada)

Information resource:
>https://sciencecareergeneral.neocities.org/
>*The Chad author is seeking additional input to diversify the content into containing all STEM fields. Said author regularly views these /scg/ threads.

No anons have answered your question? Perhaps try posting it here:
>https://academia.stackexchange.com/

An archive of some of the previous editions of /scg/:
>https://warosu.org/sci/thread/15740454
>>
13 results
https://warosu.org/sci/image/ACBFDRjbd3igBS_-IHK-Vw
>>
>>16247118
Anyone here with a PhD? If so, how were your job prospects like after graduating?
I feel like I am in for a big mistake and a lot of wasted time and effort pursuing one, especially if the job market doesn't fix itself after the five years.
>>
Does anyone have any good beginner-level resources on tunneling? The text should start from scratch and assume I don't know what a TBM, segment, or liner is if possible.
>>
>>16247118
Hey /scg/
I'm current working on my Bachelor's in Computer Science. Already have a Bachelor's in Finance, decided to go back and get a degree in something I enjoy.
What can I do to maximize my chances of acquiring (good) employment after graduation?
>>
File: 1584803730731.jpg (656 KB, 1080x1080)
656 KB
656 KB JPG
My employer advises me to become a junior electrical engineer and go to school parttime to get a degree in electrical engineering. I'll be working 4 days for my employer and will have 1 full weekday for school (with the only classes taking place in the evening). The rest of my free time I will have to use to study. Should I do it?
t. Electrical drafter in Western Europe
>>
>>16247118
>>Discussion on penetrating industry from academia
how does one penetrate all female academics in the industry? Asking for a fr... nah, asking for myslef
>>
>>16247405
That would be extremely painful
>>
>>16247473
From what I have seen, being an ex-convict Chad who can barely put together a coherent sentence seems to work.
>>
>>16247398
Do you have internships, project experiences, etc?
>What can I do to maximize my chances of acquiring (good) employment after graduation?
Anything specific in mind?
>>
File: Jeremy_Meeks_Mug_Shot.jpg (106 KB, 640x784)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
>>16247520
This
>>
>>16247522
>Do you have internships, project experiences, etc?
I have experience but in different fields (manufacturing & office management). No projects yet.
>Anything specific in mind?
Idk. I'll be doing discreet math and a few bullshit classes then the real curriculum starts.
The only language I've been formally taught so far is Java. Are there any languages/skills I should self-teach that would be worthwhile?
>>
>>16247380
>Anyone here with a PhD?
Unfortunately yes
>>16247380
>how were your job prospects like after graduating?
Pretty grim.
>>16247380
>job market doesn't fix itself
I wouldn't count on it.
>>
>>16247473
Academia attracts the worst cut-throat psycho bitches of human society. You literally have to be mentally ill to want to spend time with these people. Get a cutie female MD or, better yet, nurse, to wife up.
>>
>>16247405
Go for it, but treat you studies like a job and track your time religiously.
>>
>>16247398
I assume you dont want to work in finance? Fintech is still going strong while FAANG is dying.
>>
>>16247852
I actually wouldn't mind it, problem is I fucked up in uni the first time around. Felt like getting a STEM degree would be a good way of actually launching a successful degree.
>Fintech
What are some things I could work on to move towards this?
>>
>>16247843
>nurse wife
>better than MD wife
bro, are you dumb?
>>
What's the most profitable concentration in electrical engineering?
>>
>>16248001
Semi conductors
>>
>>16247898
ML, data science and AI are big in fintech
>>
File: Ff8NUEuWIBEJI_0.jpg (27 KB, 399x399)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
I turned down the opportunity to do a master's in ecology! A clear sign I'm getting smarter.
>>
>>16248172
Thanks
>>
>>16248176
Ecology is great, ecologists and ecology education is not. Good call anon.
>>
>>16247829
You probably did your PhD only for the title and for thinking you'd be a renowned Nobel prize scientist instead of doing it because you simply like science and research. Which is ironic because you should've done some research before to realize that's not the case most of the times. Which makes you a bad scientist and the reason why you feel the way you feel.
>>
>>16248468
Power, money, fame
>>
>>16248468
Ironically, the clout-chasers in science are the ones who make it past the early career filter because that heavily rewards self-promoting, exaggerating and slightly dishonest conduct. And requires massive time investment in things which aren't science. Whereas the guys who are just happy to be there and do science usually don't ever get their own group and get smoked out.
>>
>>16248554
Yes
>>16248468
This man has never been in a research institute
>>
>>16248176
You're that guy who asked about either getting an MS in ecology or joining the military as an officer, right? I hope it's you joined a comfy branch like the Air Force.
>>
>>16247544
Check out the /sci/ wikia page on this:
https://4chan-science.fandom.com/wiki/Computer_Science_and_Engineering
Good luck, you're going to need it to stand out amongst the H1B hordes from the turd world. Try to get some research w/ some professors. They can get you into conferences where the real networking starts.
>>
>>16247829
How was the interview?
>>
>>16247527
The meeks shall inherent all women on earth
>>
>be me, europoor hs faggot
>about to enroll in university
>everyone tells me: "hurr durr, doesnt matter where you study, just be diligent and get good grades"
>talk to senior mechanical engineer in an executive position
>"Yeah, we just look at your uni and your projects. grades dont matter."
Wtf? Any anons got more info on this?
>>
>>16247829
I think the problem is getting information out to undergraduates as to the kind of STEM jobs that are readily available. I work with undergrads at An R1 research institution and all of the want some kind of high status STEM-based job....doctor...dentist...scientist...chemist (!). The problem is these jobs are highly competitve, and if you are not as good as the best, you are looking at low pay and gaps at unemployment, at best (that's what happened to me). I would like to see schools try to get information out there that its these "high status" jobs are risky to try for, and you might end up wasting many years of youth trying to get one, when you could go to a community college for two years and get a good solid skilled technician job, where you are asking making something useful, instead, say contributing research to our knowledge base. The later is high status (if you have good pay), but to difficult to get.
>>
File: kek_leader.jpg (106 KB, 916x1024)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
>>16248520
>Power, money, fame
>Ph.D
>>
I have a third interview coming up with a company and it's going to be with 9 people in 3 panels of 3 back-to-back. I'm a fresh college grad with no work experience. What the hell should I expect from this format? I've had a panel interview before but this seems like total overkill for an entry level engineer. I would appreciate any advice you guys have.
>>
>>16248520
>Gol D. Roger, the King of the Pirates, attained this and everything else the world had to offer, and his dying words drove countless men to the seas
>>
>>16248678
believe the guy on the hiring committee. Uni name is sort of a meme, but going to a better uni will give you better opportunities for interesting projects and you'll have higher value peers who will eventually be useful in you finding a job. This is not to say you should sacrifice everything to get into the top tier.
>>
I'm writing my 100 page dissertation using ChatGPT to summarize each paper and stitching them together. What are the odds of me being caught?
>>
>>16248813
Can't help you unless you provide more information.
>What's the size of the company?
>LDP/Grad Scheme/Regular intake?
>Total number of interviews?
>Degree?
>>
>>16248975
It’s at a manufacturing facility. Company is a big one in food/beverage industry.
Regular application.
This is my third and final interview after recruiter call, hiring manager interview, and includes site tour.
Mechanical Engineer. No internships or jobs since graduating.
>>
>>16248619
Actually, it went pretty well. They were looking for a computational physicist with EM expertise but they might settle for an algebraist with experience in software development.
>>
>>16247843
Yes wife up a "badass boss bitch" who thinks her $70k salary means she needs a $70k car at 24% interest. Just a recipe for happiness.
>>
>>16248983
It's fairly common for large company (>10, 000+) employees to have 3 stages interview process but I am surprised this is for regular graduate role. I've gone through 5 stages interview with a well known construction company but that is for a leadership develop program. Do you know who will be involved in the 3 stage panel interview? Make sure you read up on their linkedin and find some common ground to build a rapport.
>>
>>16248733
>>16248880
Piracy > PhD
>>
>>16249066
The interviewers are going to be my coworkers, I guess. 6 of them have the same title as the job posting and 1 of them is the hiring manager again. I’m just at a loss about what could be asked from me in this 3 hr interrogation. I’m expecting STAR type questions but shit, I don’t know if I could talk this long about my past.
>>
Is getting a second Master's worth it? If I studied just one semester more another school in another country (border town) would award me a Master's in Cheminformatics in addition to my 2-year Master's in Chemistry I am already getting based on the courses and interships I have already done (basically they would recognize an internship for credit and some extra-courses I did).

So it would be like a semester abroad (30 ECTS) but in the end I would get another Master's diploma from a foreign university.

Should I do this?
>>
>>16249138
I don't see why not. It's not like the chemistry job market is doing so well at the moment so more credentials is always a good thing at times like these.
>>
How is the market for Computer Eng at the moment in the states? I am thinking of augmenting my useless math bachelors and CS minor with a masters in CompEng.
>>
File: kizEz5R0rtgP.jpg (70 KB, 792x621)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>>
>>16249554
All this is saying is that 19% of employers have seen at least 1 retard bring a parent to the interview. Not that 19% of zoomers are bringing parents to interviews.
>>
>>16249554
Boomers complain about the most retarded things possibly. Not having enough drive is another standard complaint. I kind of hate the humiliation ritual meme, but is there any better way to understand the social function of the job interview.
>>
>>16249549
Not great to be honest. You might want to consider going into data science or ML.
>>
>>16249574
Ok, thanks. The CompE program I’m looking at provides the option of taking a shit ton of ML and DS classes. Would having a CompE degree with an ML focus give me more versatility compared to a regular CS masters with an ML focus, or is it going to look fugazi?
>>
File: mtqe388rk1qa1.png (456 KB, 716x720)
456 KB
456 KB PNG
Getting a math PhD was a huge mistake. At this point I'm going into full clown mode.
>>
>>16249699
Is >>16247829 you?
>>
>>16249138
I dont see the point unless you do a second Msc thesis
>>
>>16249824
Im considering something like that.
>>
>>16249842
Yeah, before I saw my reply I deleted my post because I believe that specific program is no longer taking applications, but I'm sure there are many similar programs. Best of luck.
>>
>>16249849
*your reply
>>
>>16248451
I'm gonna take calc 3, linear algebra, and diffy q at a community college and make a call from there as to what I want to do next. But I will not be counting rails on a combine for 20k a year and no future employment.
>>16248609
Lmao yeah that was me. I didn't join but I'm still considering that national guard so I can get education bennies.
>>
File: 1719155728110023.jpg (153 KB, 850x1436)
153 KB
153 KB JPG
should i even bother opting into the company 401k when im only working here for another month (intern)? they only offer a 3% match
>>
>>16250190
Doesn't 3% match mean it's limited to 3% of your total income, not literally 3% of what you put in? I would say yes, just because that's "free" money they are giving you which you can transfer after leaving so why not?
>>
>BS in applied math
>can't find a job
>mom wants to ship me off to graduate school
>will literally kill myself if I have to go to school anymore
bros please help me I look up "math bs jobs" on indeed and fins jack shit
I didn't realize going to college was going to cripple me so badly.
I didn't make a single fucking friend
I never had sex
my first beer was alone and it tasted like shit
I wanted to be a fucking electrician when I was young. Now I feel like I'm in my 30s despite being 23 and there is nothing bright to look forward for me.
plox helps me bros
>>
>>16249699
I have a math BS and I'm already contemplating the end
why is it so fucking over?
>>
>>16249554
All me btw
>>
>>16249549
everything is data and ML memes
you will need graduate school anyways to get a job
>>
>>16248468
Personally I like research but I can't handle the stress of doing research for anyone
I don't even want people to know I am doing research
It's too stressful
>>
>>16247380
Did a condensed matter PhD.
Industry jobs were grim. Main employer for my skills is quantum computing start-ups. Good money but not exactly a stable job.
Research jobs are more interesting but few and far between. PIs just don't have money for postdocs when the grants and talent are being hoovered up by quantum computing.
>>
>>16250277
>I wanted to be a fucking electrician
What's stopping you?
>>16250459
Which subfield? Condensed matter is broad. I haven't been following QC news for a year now, anything exciting?
>>16250287
Relatable, I'm also weakmind.
>>
>>16250277
>23
I think you'll be fine dude. Go drink in a bar if you have no friends. The people there will think you're smart, they're not gonna beat you up or anything. Also you can become an electrician. Stop falling for corporate youth advertising. Read poems and eat sweet potatoes.
>>
I am about to finish my master's in physical chemistry but my 2-year program was pretty interdisciplinary so I had quite a lot of classes/projects in energy science and technology (renewables, storage, fuel cell, etc.). This is due to the fact to some reputable institutes in this area are on campus that focus on new battery tech and energy systems.

Now I want to do a PhD but getting part-time pay (50%) for at least 3-4 years sucks and having a PhD is basically expected after a Master's in chemistry and this career path is normalized.

I was thinking of applying at the energy tech faculty that nominally belongs to the engineering department since all current PhD positions there are paid full-time (100%).
>>
>>16247398
>What can I do to maximize my chances of acquiring (good) employment after graduation?
getting one actual degree.
A bachlor's is quite literally nothing.
>>
>>16250808
yeah I'll just buy some beer with all the money I have from my job– oh wait I don't have one
>>
>>16250882
>I was thinking of applying at the energy tech faculty that nominally belongs to the engineering department since all current PhD positions there are paid full-time (100%).
do you know anyone there? if not, probably forget about it.
>>
>>16250277
Get a motorcycle, it's an IRL cheat code to making friends and if you fuck up hard enough you're dead and successfully escaped
>>
>>16251129
I just want a job
>>
I realized this entire general is for midwits from upper middle class backgrounds who are all in graduate school desperately trying to maintain prestige and social status.
>>
>>16250459
>Industry jobs were grim.
That was rather unexpected. Since solid state is a sub set of condenced matter, shouldn't it be possible to find a good job in the semiconductor industry?
>>
>>16251251
>I realized
You are wrong.
>>
>>16251066
Time to hit the warehouse and get paid bitch ass nigga.
>>
>>16251564
you only got emotionally triggered by by that because it hit way too close to home. if you hadn't been accurately characterized you wouldn't have reacted to it
>>
>>16251251
Spot on.
I personally, dodged the gradschool. But still a possibility if i dont find a job.....

On the othrr hand, hate HR cunts and jobijterview humiliation rituals
>>
>>16251745
>>16251251
>no one disagrees
>hurrr I guess nobody disagrees, I'm right!

>someone disagrees
>durrr you wouldn't react if it wasn't true, I'm right!

4chan isn't an upper middle class platform and half the questions that kids in these threads ask are obviously questions that anyone with professional parents would not need to ask strangers on the internet.
>>
>>16248813
Its a "stress interview".
It is made to simulate presenting confidently to the clients, and departments.
You are roleplaying a salesman selling his own knowledge.
>>
>>16247843
Nurses are sluts
>>
>>16251978
yes and
>>
File: tux-typing.gif (7 KB, 120x88)
7 KB
7 KB GIF
How do medstudents cope with their cucked classes? I can barely stand the amount of deus ex machina bullshit that one course of immunology threw at me. Their whole major is like that. I just hate it how many interesting subjects were butchered by jewish teaching practices. There's no way or incentive to think within the subject, just about it, and force as much useless information into your head. How long will the humiliation ritual of gatekeeping you from doing real work on a small scale, before you suffer through enough busy-work, continue? Another wasted opportunity and wasted time. It is pure intellectual dishonesty. A complex and vague system, not well understood, yet by virtue of a social game you must remember exactly and preciselly relay the current state of understanding, that was presented to you without the underlying vagueness. I hope Niels Jerne rots in hell for his crimes against clear naming schemes
>>
>>16251692
>yeah bro just study this hard subject for 4 years and be called a genius by everyone around you but also just work at this warehouse instead of going to more fucking school
brutal... I think I will unironically homeless pill my way to somewhere I have no ties to and just fucking restart my life without all the embarrassment.
>>
>>16247380
PhD in (synthetic organic) chemistry. Got a job before graduation, this was pretty common for our department graduates who did their due diligence. I work in san Diego and just make molecules all day, it's great. Pay started at $105k I'm now at $130k after 2 years
>>
>>16250277
Where do you live? I'll have a beer with you and give you some pointers

>no homo/gay/sex shit
I promise
>>
>>16250882
Do not listen to this >>16251067 faggot. Do it, you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Don't be like this cowardly "logical" tranny, go into the engineering department with your dick out, barge into the professor's door and convince them YOU are the right fit for the lab.
>>
>>16247118
Hi anons. I’m in a weird position where I have a job that pays well and is at a good company. But I’m not learning anything new and the work is boring to me. I wonder what was the point of taking all those advanced modules at university

I plan to grind it out for two more years as the money helps and the experience looks good on my resume, but am finding it difficult.

Did any of you face such a situation? If so, how did you deal with it?
>t. SWE at FAANG tier company with an Integrated Masters in CS
>>
>>16251818
>4chan isn't an upper middle class platform
lol
lmao
>>
>>16252258
More like lower middle class
>>
>>16252241
Get a hobby?
>>
File: download.jpg (59 KB, 600x960)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>day 177 of unemployment
Getting a math phd was a huge mistake
>>
>>16247380
Biochemistry. Got an interview at a biotech 2 months after, succeeded on first try. I happened to study a field that's getting really hot right now and I also had a strong advisor so I got pretty lucky in a way. 100k starting, 160k now 4 years later.
>>
>>16251745
This too is wrong.
>>
>>16252241
I'm in the same boat as you. You could try getting more involved with a different team or a different project at your current company. I tried doing that but the opportunity got shot down by upper management despite the other team's manager also wanting me to work with them. I'm probably just going to try to get a different job or go back to school.
>>
>>16251061
Incorrect. It is impossible to get a job without a bachelor's
>>
>>16252338
You are supposed to have a monetization plan before investing such a huge amount of time getting a phd.
>>
>>16252537
>monetization plan
Do I look like a man with a plan?
>>
>>16250277
You have a lot of options, but they will likely involve more schooling.
>>
Advisor tore apart my thesis with 5 days till the submission deadline.
IDK why they put off giving me feedback till now.
>>
>>16252765
Just fix what is reasonable to do within 5 days and turn that shit in.
>>
>>16252816
That's what I'll do.

I mean I get it, their father is dying and they've been traveling to deal with it, I'm just more annoyed by the circumstances than annoyed at them. I just need to vent a bit.
>>
File: Kiryu_Coco_-_Portrait.png (133 KB, 360x360)
133 KB
133 KB PNG
2021: 4 interviews, 0 offers
2022: 19 interviews, 1 offer
2023: 2 interviews, 0 offers
2024: 10 interviews, 0 offers

Getting a math PhD was a huge mistake. But maybe I am also bad at interviewing? Are these numbers insane like my parents think they are?
>>
>>16253093
Your parents lived in different times, but those numbers aren't great anyway. What kinds of jobs are you applying for?
>>
>>16252103
Hey Anon. I'm going through the same thing (Pharmacy) and the more I point this out the crazier people look at me. It's like I'm defying the status quo and it offends them or something. It's crazy to be one of the few that point this out because technically there are thousands of students here.
People don't even go to uni to challenge things, they conform: they take countless pictures of things they are not even going to be working on once they graduate (sure, you synthesized aspirin, who cares!) but they sure do love the clout! It's just so tiring...
Just do the courses, graduate, and make sure not to go back to school ever again. I mean, that's what I would do.
>>
>>16253159
Various kind of jobs. University lecturer, postdoc, researcher at defense labs, software dev in finance, software dev at consulting firms. Quant jobs in finance. Various roles at gambling companies. Engineering jobs at big manufacturing companies like Scania, Volvo and Saab.
>>
>send resume to recruiter
>oh sorry you don't have at least one year experience

Man I really want to die. Why couldn't be born the son of a billionaire? Why the fuck do I have to suffer in life.
>>
>>16253328
I'll give you 1 year from my resume.
>>
>>16250277
Take a year in SE Asia to "find yourself". Have sex with (or just start with petting) the nice sex workers and talk with the other tourists. You need some other perspectives and experiences.
>>
>>16253093
For completeness:
2013: 3 interview, 1 offer
2016: 5 interviews, 1 offer
2017: 2 interviews, 2 offers
>>
>>16252338
Wdym? Aren’t all these cool new-age startups hiring Math phds like crazy?
>>
>>16247118
>On indeed reading job desc.
>English and Mandarin speaking will be required.
Oh, Canada.
>>
>>16250190
>>16250238

Depends on vestment time. Usually you have to be there for a year (the vestment period) before you can keep any of the matchings. If your already vested (which I would assume your not as an intern), it's free money. Otherwise, it's just a 401k
>>
>>16253093
The funniest thing is I stopped at my master's to look for jobs and couldn't get shit so now I'm back in the Ph.D (math). The only saving grace I have is my parents are leaving me a nestegg.
>>
>>16252184
>this was pretty common for our department graduates who did their due diligence
How do I do my due diligence? So far, all I am hearing is network via conferences. I heard some PhD students also do summer internships as well, but might not be possible for certain research projects.
>>
>>16252103
Don't medstudents make bank after they graduate? There. That's your cope. Unlike a lot of other STEM students, you have a light at the end of the tunnel.
>>
>>16250459
Would you say you regret your PhD?
>>
>>16252353
Did you know that field would be hot and the advisor was going to be prominent in their field? I am searching for good advisors in trendy fields before my program starts, but from what I have read, picking an advisor based on fame is a bad idea.
>>
>>16253093
Have you considered cabin in the woods?
>>
>>16253897
>Did you know that field would be hot and the advisor was going to be prominent in their field?
Not exactly, he was a brand new associate professor at the time, and I attended a low-tier state college and was an undergrad when I started working for him. My original plans were patent law and I was thoughtlessly looking for a letter of rec at the time, though in retrospect that would have been a massive mistake. I would overhear him namedrop some big current papers in the field that made me perk up even as a newbie, but I don't think that alone made me stick to it.

Discovered I loved labwork and it made more economical sense to just stick with him into graduate school; I probably could have gotten into a mid-level UC but the benefits were unclear and the costs explicit. I was his first grad student and the first year or two were a mix of training wheels and menial labor, but he's also super extroverted and a natural salesman so I was being hooked up with collabs for bigger outside labs, which yielded a couple solid though not very sexy papers. Early into a relatively minor collaboration with one of the leaders of the field I made a discovery through sheer grinding and taking enough longshots, which then turned ultimately into a Nature paper. I wasn't first or second author but still made significant enough contributions that it beefed my CV substantially.

My generic recs for people that are still young with time to spare, just going for what worked for me, and what I've seen personally with 4 years biotech experience:

(cotd.)
>>
>>16254095
- pick an advisor who is super outgoing, I was particularly shy (still am pretty autistic), that's how you get collaborations and how you can score a post-doc or a job
- pick an advisor who is young, fresh, with a strong background in whatever it is they do; not all of them get lazy once they have tenure, but you don't want to be unlucky
- a focus in enzyme kinetics is nice because it's great for pumping out JBC-tier papers at a minimum, but also because it's so niche and sometimes antiquated that by necessity you'll be forced to learn other skills; push to do all the CRISPR basics (knock-ins, knock-outs, CRISPRa, etc), learn to do a lot of protein expression, learn to do a lot of cloning, etc
- when interviewing, make sure to include slides showing that you're interested specifically in what they're trying to achieve, not just what you did
- biotech will often have openings for pure tissue culture and pure protein production jobs; the latter are particularly high-turnover and for a reason, but if you can learn to enjoy the grind, it's good pay and job security

I have a feeling this guy
>>16252184
is a similar case, can tell you there's always need for strong organic chemists as well, particularly those who know something about Click chemistry, go that route if pure biology or enzymology feels too squishy
>>
>>16254098
Oh and while working long and hard hours seems cucked, remember, the more collabs (even if relatively small) that you are able to complete in the duration of a PhD is that many more opportunities. If you have a relatively small part in a collaboration with a prominent lab, and you produce new high-quality data faster than their own people, they'll appreciate that. Obviously a lot of people don't like the idea of a post-doc considering how competitive faculty jobs are, but if you can't land a biotech job first try, the next best thing is to add some top-tier school to your resume and maybe upper/mid-authorship on some Mol Cell/Cell/NSMB/Nature papers
>>
>>16254098
All cool and good but regarding picking a young, fresh advisor I would advise some caution. There's a very real risk that they are on some transient funding/position and will either fail to keep it going and get booted out, or will get a better job elsewhere and leave you high and dry. I've had both happen to me. While it's true that tenured professors often stop giving a shit, they at least won't disappear overnight.
>>
>>16254098
My advisor was very outgoing, young, fresh, but their research focus was also very new and doesn't seem to have any industry connections. I feel like this is one of the drawbacks of someone new, in the sense they have no industrial connections or known routes for exiting academia. Did I just get unlucky?
>>
File: 1719372177073556.jpg (84 KB, 700x700)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
How long should you wait before email the hiring manager after a job interview?
>>
>>16253093
just for clarification, did you study teknisk matematik or just matematik?
>>
>>16254705
Just matematik. I also fucked up big time by not getting the engineering degree. I just got the M.Sc. I dont think my credentials are the main problem though. It might just be my interviewing skills.
>>
>>16253159
Do you mind posting your numbers?
>>
File: 1603465626.jpg (183 KB, 711x720)
183 KB
183 KB JPG
Computer Science bros, how we holding up?
>>
>>16254733
My numbers are also bad but for different reasons:

>Applying for PhD: 2 applications, 1 offer
>Applying for postdoc: 1 application, 1 offer
>Applying for industry job: 1 application, 1 offer

I almost certainly could have gotten better positions had I applied more (especially for the industry job; the PhD/postdoc at least on paper are quite good). There's excuses and circumstances but who cares. Basically I've resigned myself.

The secret? PhD was in a group I had worked with before who knew I was good at what I do, postdoc was with a guy who worked in an adjacent group (though not directly with me) who started his own lab elsewhere and knew I was good at what I do. The job I sort of had a personal connection to, though they certainly wouldn't have hired me just off of that, mostly that made me aware of the opportunity. It's not a particularly impressive job coming off what can be portrayed as rather impressive early research career, and I doubt they get applicants like me normally, so I was just aiming low.

End result is making the kind of money McDonalds employees in the US make after a PhD + postdoc from global top 5 institutions in a technologically relevant STEM discipline. Hell, the job is a major pay cut from my postdoc.
>>
>>16254918
>Hell, the job is a major pay cut from my postdoc.
Yikes.
>>
>>16254925
Yeah. Although the postdoc was in a major US city and the job in a random town in Yurop, hence the difference.
>>
>>16254927
Ok, that explains it then. Not too bad in that case.
>>
>>16254758
Meds, now

How kept is your bipolarity? You nude?

>Fagpotted.
>>
I fucking hate GMP so much. Good manufacturing my fucking ass this shit just exists so some worthless bitch middle manager can get mad about typos or make me write an essay about how Im a big dumb retard for taking something out 10 minutes late. Bitch it passed QC, it not only passed QC but also had a higher purity than our previous runs of the same process. Fucking stupid cunt I catch you worthless middle managers making more fuck ups than I make when I get my instructions, I caught you using the wrong method on the paperwork three times this past month and you just shrug and go "teehee was all make mistakes anon". Or better yet the lab team tells you that X or Y process will result in a poor yield that wont match customer demands and you just tell us to shut up and do it anyways only to piss thousands of dollars of chemicals down the drain.

FUCK I HATE MIDDLE MANAGERS AAAAAAAAAAAAARGHHHHHHHHHH
>>
>>16255049
I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.
>>
Is getting masters in Physics better then getting masters in Math? Seems like nobody with Math degree is getting hired while physicists don't have problems switching to other fields.
>>
>>16255260
>physicists don't have problems
I am not sure that is true. Get the engineering degree my dude.
>>
>>16255260
applied math > physics > pure math
>>
>>16255494
>Rah! Rah! Rah!
So how is the job market in maths, pure or applied?
>>
>>16255498
idk I'm a physicist
>>
>>16251061
So what are you saying? Get a masters?
>>
Hey all, I was accepted into a PhD program that's sort of interdisciplinary (i.e. I can choose my advisor from any STEM department as long as I can convince them to take me). Any particular research areas or fields anyone would recommend that have good job prospects? Undergrad background was in condensed matter physics, but I would feel fairly comfortable switching. Or would anyone recommend just not doing it at all? It's an R1 in the US.
>>
what are the potential pathways to medical school for a 30 yo that's been out of school for 7 years? I have no academic connections, but some professional ones since working in a lab. I realize an outright application is stupid, but going back to school for a lower tier degree like a masters first and then applying also seems stupid given my age/time constraint.
>>
>>16255683
See
>>16250459
>>
>>16252685
Then those aren't actually option now are they?
>>
>>16253386
Uh dude I don't even like leaving my room how the fuck am I going to have sex in a foreign country?
>>
>>16255865
Sir this is the science career general, not the incel peer support group. Perhaps try /r9k/.
>>
>>16255753
you would have to retake the prereq courses no matter what and take the MCAT
>>
>>16256015
I know am I'm just trying to get help about getting a job with a math degree and some weirdo is telling me to have sex with prostitutes in asia.
I just want my degree to have been worth it
>>
Any advice how to improve my LinkedIn? How do normie recruiters react to this?
>>
>>16255864
You will need more education to get a career-level job. You might be able to get some kind of internship with a B.Sc. in math. After the internship, you might feel different about further education. Try applying for internships at fintech companies.
>>
File: visitobe.jpg (538 KB, 1080x1398)
538 KB
538 KB JPG
>>16247118
>>
>>16256304
Be careful with those carbs
>>
>>16250459
I'm this anon
>>16250709
Frustrated magnetism and exotic spin systems. It's fun but also a stupid field.
QC hasn't had much new and there is still no stable, scalable and reproducible qubits which can approach a useful quantum volume. Just cope and some companies downsizing but I have seen a lot of talk about analogue QC and neuromorphic computing.
>>16251510
You're right but the challenge of getting a semiconductor industry job is finding a relevant and useful semiconductor PhD. I have heard of people making it from a quantum optics background too. Pick some other condensed matter subfield and you can't join big silicon.
>>16253892
Nah I don't regret it yet. I have a job I enjoy, even the teaching, which pays enough and gives enough free time for me to live a life I enjoy. Would be nice to buy a house though.
I like working in research and having constant challenges, problems to solve.
Ask me again once I'm a PI and have promoted myself away from doing any real research. It could be cope but I feel like I'd be bored out of my mind in any more regular job.
>>16255683
Semiconductors, especially lasers, mid-IR and anything where you'll use a molecular beam epitaxy machine to make devices. Semiconductors for telecoms is also surprisingly big.
Anything quantum computing is very employable right now but only for jobs in startups or the few big tech places which do quantum
Can't really recommend other subfields as highly employable but some are reliably employable if you pick the right topic and make an effort to network.
The sad truth is that the most interesting research is the furthest from commercialisation so the least funded and least employable.
>>
>>16256716
I'm at the end of a semiconductor PhD, mostly fabrication focused.
Looking at what kind of projects in neuromorphic are happening around here the materials/fabrication level stuff seems like a scam. Mostly just people trying to get more funding for the failed NAND-replacement ReRAM or 2D material stuff they have been studying for 10 years already.

Job prospects are good though, questioning everyday why I didn't just quit my PhD 2 years in and go look with the fabrication experiment I got in the lab. Colleagues who did so did fine in the job market.
>>
>>16256800
Given that you started a PhD I think it's a good idea to get the degree. It gives you credibility, which can manifest in weird ways over time.
>>
>>16256806
Yeah, of course. At this point it's obvious I have to finish, no point quitting at the finish line.

Still, in regard to qualifying for the job market I honestly think doing a year or two of a PhD, actively learning from experienced people and then just not writing papers/a dissertation get's you everything worth having.
>>
>>16256811
I think it's true that in terms of hard skills you're probably fine after the first couple of years, assuming things went to plan.

But I wouldn't downplay the paper/dissertation writing part. Depending on how cynical your outlook is, it either forces you to actually rigorously define and effectively communicate what you did and why anyone should care, or alternatively how to finesse the system and make shit appear more important than it really is. Both are useful skills.

On the more concrete side, you may find further down the line that not getting the PhD will make you ineligible for certain positions despite having all the skills, or that less competent people get promoted ahead of you for having an extra piece of paper.
>>
>>16256820
I guess I come across as more cynical than I actually am.
Agreed on soft vs hard skills.
PhD requirements after some level of promotions is quite common here, company hierarchies can be old fashioned in Germany.

Anectode: I know a guy that went to a scientific equipment company while waiting for grading of his thesis and they got really impatient after a few months. PhDs to impress the customers are apparently necessary.
>>
File: 1715274500131739m.jpg (165 KB, 882x1024)
165 KB
165 KB JPG
Why is it so hard to get a fucking job? I cannot even get a walshart type job.
>>
>>16256267
should've stayed at Linköping uni
>>
>>16257307
Obviously, but I didnt get the opportunity.
>>
>>16255498
>job market in maths, pure or applied?
Non existing
>>
>>16256870
I used to work at a big semi-conductor and medical device company in Germany and they loved to hire chemistry and biology PhDs, especially women who were sick of academia which had not the slightest connection to the tech for their sales departments.
>>
>>16256272
that's such bullshit I paid for 4 years of college and studied hard just to not get paid?
>>
>>16257591
You don't need a degree to work at Five Guys Burgers or Panera.
>>
Why do people here care so much about degree rankings or types? My degrees are in mechanical engineering, but what I do now in my actual job has a lot more to do with electrical engineering and chemistry and very little mechanical.
>>
>>16257858
It greatly affect your employability. You are suffering from survival bias if you think it does not matter.
>>
>>16257897
>It greatly affect your employability.
How so?
>You are suffering from survival bias if you think it does not matter.
It's possible.
>>
>>16257686
fuck it I'm just gonna become a nobody boxer fighting for fucking pennies
eventually dying from CTE related complications
>>
>>16247380
>If so, how were your job prospects like after graduating?
What job prospects?
>>
>>16257957
Ahhhh. I fucking hate this fucking clown world.
>>
I think I managed to give myself mental trauma by pursuing a career in STEM.
>>
>>16254758
Seen better days. Debating on whether to do a M. Sc. or leave it be and work. I might do a M. Sc. in physics instead of CS (since I took so many physics courses that I can make the switch).

The thing is, all the lay off shit happening in NA scares me, and usually EU is just a few steps behind with shit like this. I have a bad premonition that if I pursue pure tech, without any other skills, that I'm just setting myself up to be fucked down the line.

Though maybe this is all bs and I'm ranting. I've become some sort of a hermit not giving a fuck anymore. I'm damn near 30 after my M. Sc., it's time to settle down now before I'm old kek. That's why I'm even thinking of not getting the M. Sc.

Thanks for reading my blog.
>>
>>16258154
This but unironically.
>>
>>16258154
Explain so I can compare thoughts
>>
File: 1719532787207244.jpg (181 KB, 1017x872)
181 KB
181 KB JPG
>>16258183
>He unironically thinks a M.Sc. in physics will prepare him for the future
Chat, who is going to tell him?
>>
File: Machine-Learning.png (139 KB, 782x500)
139 KB
139 KB PNG
Machine learning/data science chads enrolled or graduated from top PhD programs, what's the necessary necessary knowledge required to succeed in it as in make actual progress in that field that puts you in top 1% in terms of contribution? I think I may consider getting into machine learning in about 2 years but I absolutely have no CS/math knowledge except maybe basic C programming, calculus 1 & 2(single variable calculus and no sequence & series) and that's about it. Should I even bother getting into that field or is it over and I should think about doing something else?
>t.23 year old pseudo neet barely getting by
>>
talking about ML
nerd physics bros it's a real path, some fields can really benefit from having some ML baked in, but not by some random ML phd tard since the hard part isn't designing the NN itself but making a smart parameter space and an optimal goal (it's not going to do everything so make it do as much as it can without needing fucking AGI)
t. just heard people talking about it being considered for optical design
>>
>>16258275
Fuck kek, I'm already lost in life anon don't make it harder for me. At least I think physics applications are cooler than CS.

Also, CS B. Sc. + Physics M. Sc. (I plan to specialize in experimental physics, maybe optics or something solid-state physics) and proficiency in both is rare to come by no?
>>
File: 1718997618002076.jpg (125 KB, 640x482)
125 KB
125 KB JPG
Does anyone here have good experience with the PhD to school teacher pipeline? I hate teaching and I hate kids so I am considering it.
>>
>>16258485
Bullshit numbers but half the theorists and a quarter of the experimentalists end up doing coding/software work. No CS needed
>>
>>16258485

For what it's worth I know Meta has some rather well-paid research jobs where they specifically are looking for people with a CS BSc and a Physics/Chemistry PhD in optics/solid-state/semiconductor type areas. Whether that is still relevant when you graduate is another thing but at least that particular combination is valued somewhere by the look of things.
>>
>>16258502

Just makes me think about Breaking Bad tbqh.
>>
File: 1719297043220056.jpg (85 KB, 1015x1024)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
Things will get better when the interest rates go down again, right?
>>
>>16258574
Things will get better after we finish WW3
>>
anyone yo>>16258416
>>
>>16258416
>Machine learning/data science chads enrolled or graduated from top PhD programs
Most PhDs posting here are turbo-losers such as myself. That being said you will definitely need to take calc 3, linear algebra, discrete maths, diff. eqs., dynamical systems, statistics, probability, some course in algorithms and data structures before getting into ML.
>>
>>16255683
currently writing up my thesis in computational chemistry/drug design. if you do some molecular dynamics applied to drug discovery, know maths and can code in c++/python with some machine learning you will unironically make 300k++ starting. google D E Shaw research and look at their vacancies. lots of other good jobs too.
>>
File: 1718941774019081.gif (1.8 MB, 640x360)
1.8 MB
1.8 MB GIF
>>16257858
Conventional wisdom is that degree type and ranks matter and people who want to be in a certain career will try to get credentials and training to maximize success in that career. Notice how undergraduates or industry researchers will publish a paper *and then* start a graduate program. What does that tell you?

(Another reason: narcissists covet status symbols.)
>>
>>16258645
thx for the response m8.
>diff. eqs., dynamical systems
are these two really important?
can they be learned after joining grad school on the fly because I really don't wish to focus on these topics in the next 1.5 years?
>linear algebra
what level ? proof heavy linear algebra that could be covered by axler or idk jim hefferon's book or something just computational where you just need to remember formulaes and apply appropriately?
>probablility stats
again, what level? what books will help me?
>calc 3
only the kind of mutivariable calculus you see on texts like J stewart or thomas' calculus right and not the crazy spivak or rudin tier stuff right?
>discrete math
would kenneth rosen suffice or should I shit like concrete math by knuth?
>algo
CLRS ?
>>
File: jurassic.jpg (143 KB, 1253x660)
143 KB
143 KB JPG
>What do you do, anon?
You remember Jeff Goldblum's character from Jurassic Park? That is literally me.
>>
>>16258506
>>16258509
Yeah, thanks guys. I'm just trolling around about panicking. I learned early on that hyperfocusing on jobs/position in this case is grasping at straws. One moment CS is the rage, the next it's something else. So I'll just go with what I like more, enjoy life, hope for the best and fuck around. That way, even if I end as a manual laborer; I won't be bitter.

Godspeed and cheers.
>>
>>16258718
>I'm just trolling around about panicking.
Well I am. It's better to say that I'm desensitized. Idc about the red dots lingering my body anymore.
>>
ECE bros, is it possible to grab internships in sophomore ? Companies like analog devices, Qualcomm, Texas instruments, nvidia etc are present in our college's career fair but they only hire interns from junior year on-wards.

Also is it possible for any sort of remote internships?;( research based )
>>
>>16258670
D. E. Shaw Research pays highly unrealistic salaries. Their mean average advertised software engineer salary is like $350k.
>>
>>16258416
>>16258691
>are these two really important?
No for ML they're really optional unless you want to work on diffusion models. You just need to understand autodiff. I'd definitely do a full course on numerical methods, maybe also optimization
>linear algebra, what level ?
Proof heavy undergrad level, this is arguably the most important branch of math for ML
>prob/stats, everything else
Undergrad level

Generally you need a solid undergrad understanding of each topic but the more you can learn the better. For ML, math should only be about half your studies and the rest should be CS.
Second, it's too early to think about doing a PhD if you don't know the fundamentals. Learn fundamentals now (why do you say in 2 years?), if you don't find the fundamentals interesting a PhD would crush you.
Third, for PhD hiring, no one will even look in your general direction unless you have an undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline. Btw, you don't need a PhD to do research if you are a chad, there are lots of anime profile github users doing real research. Also, once you get a PhD, it does NOT cause people to respect you more, pay you more or get you a Makise Kurisu gf.

Now I will spoonfeed you on what you should do. You want to do ML but don't know where to start. You will go to https://inst.eecs.berkeley.edu/~cs188/su24/ and download the textbook Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach (4th edition) by Russell & Norvig. Then, you will read the whole thing cover to cover (CS188 doesn't cover all the chapters because some material is covered in other courses, but you will) and do all the exercises. You will also do all the projects of CS188 in Python. It's not impossibly difficult, so you can do it. You can use any academic webpage, stackexchange and this thread for hints if you get stuck. But it's a lot of work, and it's gonna be hard. Can you do it all in 3 months?
>>
>>16250277
learn to code and get jobs in software engineering
>>
should I get my master in HPC or in quantum computing if I majored in physics? Not planning on getting a PhD
>>
>>16259634
are you this anon>>16258645?
>why do you say in 2 years?
I've just enrolled in a masters in computer applications program with no undergrad degree in anything related to math/CS or any of the physical sciences. I only know basic c programming, a couple of data structures like LL, stack, queue and the math knowledge is as mentioned b4.
>>
>>16259634
>AI: modern approach
>Preface
>The only prerequisite is familiarity with basic concepts of computer science (algorithms, data structures, complexity) at a sophomore level. Freshman calculus and linear algebra are useful for some of the topics.
Also, how do I go about this?
>>
>>16259682
>are you this anon
No
What was your bachelors in? Can you share a curriculum of the masters? You should have mentioned this since then the focus on self-studying mostly math makes more sense
>>16259704
Do a couple chapters + exercises first to assess how doable it is for you, you can go back to prerequisites in the middle of the book if you get stuck
>>
>>16259681
definitely HPC, the majority of jobs in QC require a PhD
>>
>>16259782
>Can you share a curriculum of the masters?
sem1:
DS, applied math(matrices, linear programming, random variables, fourier transform & pde that gets rushed without much rigour), databases, computer networks, Java programming

sem2:
full stack, Mobile and Pervasive Computing (IoT), software engineering, Algorithms and two other electives

sem3:
cloud computing, machine learning, security & cryptography and 4 more electives.
>What was your bachelors in?
business administration
>>
>>16259788
but HPC requires a lot of programming knowledge, linux knowledge, networking knowledge, etc. I don't have that
>>
>>16259634
I'm doing a PhD in ML and have never done an algorithms course and barely know what big O notation is. It is what it is.
>>
>>16258198
I have dedicated the best years of my life to something that just takes and takes and never gives back. I also had a distressing childhood.
>>
>>16259844
I'm the anon you replied to, I'm starting a ML PhD and I've also never done an algorithms course. I do know Landau notation well since it's used all the time in physics.
>>
>>16259844
hello there, I'm the pseudo neet anon. was your PhD from a good uni? Did you've a background in math/stats before doing starting your grad school?
>>
>>16259788
but quantum computing is so new that there practically aren't any phds avaliable for you to take. how do you do this then?
>>
Anyone else working full-time while studying for a master's degree part-time? Feels like shit. I have barely left the house except for work and to go for jogs in over a year.
>>
>>16259965
I am working full time and doing an MSc full time, but I started the job after my exams were finished and I only have my dissertation to complete. My company is giving me a day off every week to help finish it.
>>
>>16259938
quantum computing exists since the 90s anon
>>
any of you have experience with general dynamics land systems?
>>
>>16259704
>>16259782
Why study Norvig for ML? Is he going to be making decision trees and hidden Markov models?
>>
>>16260130
I think I will inevitably study AI when I take that as an elective in my second semester
>>
File: 1719563090669870.jpg (173 KB, 826x878)
173 KB
173 KB JPG
>>16253876
I study molecular biology, not medicine. I would not stand medicine, it is much more traditional and ossified when it comes to academic culture, has more money hungry students and presteige breeds vanity
>>16253165
the explosion of data in molecular and post omics age of biology made researchers use very bad naming schemes. Immunology just seems to be the worst one so far. I wasn't able to focus during 8am boring lectures, hence missed most of them but I managed to speedrun the course in 24h before exam and pass with a good grade. Still, thr course reminded me about the wasted time and potential of research biology. My teenage insecurity of not performing up to the standard set by wikipedia article scientists getting PhDs before 23 isn't there anymore, but still, some historical figures somehow got a nurturing environment, while I get the equivalent of "potty training by mail" grade education in one of the top national universities
>>
>>16253165
>>16252103
I see so many holes in modern physics, like particle physics (trading in theory for experiment, making bs mathematical corrections and modelling experiments to fit theory through mental gymnastics [unscientific]) that I don't want to go to grad school. It's demoralizing bs. Don't get me started on the absolute state of astrophysics.
>>
File: 1632427182919.jpg (450 KB, 1024x768)
450 KB
450 KB JPG
I got a degree in industrial engineering, but I realized that nobody gives a fuck about my degree. I thought it would make me well-rounded in engineering, stats, and business, but everyone wants autism-level specialization from their workers nowadays. I just like managing technical teams and doing cool stuff like working CNCs and doing factory layouts. What do I need to do to become a manufacturing engineer? I'm currently a QC bitchboy in aerospace if that helps.
>>
>day 182 of unemployment
Send help
>>
Do I need real & complex anlaysis to do machine learning research
>>
>>16260812
At this stage, you should contact the career office at your university, sit a simulated interview and get feedback from your performance. It will not be pleasant, but it is private and you will get the feedback to perform better.
And keep in mind that there is nothing wrong with your CV, as in contents or form, so the root cause has to be elsewhere.
>>
>>16260804
Nigga, the degree type is almost irrelevant, you're only going to use 5% of any any engineering degree regardless of what it is and the rest you'll learn on the job.
>>
>>16261003
He probably smells like the anime nerd he is. Questionable hygiene. ADHD tics in his face when he is under pressure. You know the things any tard will do even if they have attained a PhD but not lived a single day in the real world. He is most probably institutionalized since he has no agency to get out of his unemployment.
>>
>>16260816
no complex analysis. real analysis is nice for more advanced stats stuff but not necessary. i'd recommend real analysis, if you can't handle an undergrad course in real analysis you probably wouldn't be able to handle a PhD in ml
>>
>>16261015
>He probably smells like the anime nerd he is. Questionable hygiene.
How the fuck do they smell me over Teams though? My appearances and hygiene are both normal/acceptable. I am not even fat anymore. I used to be 150+ kg, but I literally lost 1/2 of my weight. My big mistake was getting a math PhD instead of continuing working in software development.
>>
>>16261138
You could be too ugly and autistic for a normal office job. Did you do the teams interview in a washed up anime t-shirt? Be honest now anon.
>>
>My appearances and hygiene are both normal/acceptable
for a math PhD
>>
>>16258416
>>16258691
bumping for this in the hopes of seeing alternate opinions.
>>
>Get hired as a process engineer at a plastic plant.
>Work ~5-6 months and get told by the assistant plant manager to purchase a filter housing.
>Purchase filter housing and write an MOC for it's installation.
>Roughly a month or two goes by and the plant manager is asking me why we don't have the filters in place. Explain that it takes several months to fab a filter housing.
>Get told by the plant manager that I need to install filters now.
>Get told to rent woefully inadequate temporary filter housing.
>Then get told to rent 10 micron filter housing ASAP or else.
>Write an MOC and install the temporary filters.
>It was a god damn slog but I finally put them in place.
>Upper management is constantly chiming in about add sampling point, filter swaps needing to be consistent with other plants, pipe reroutes, etc.
>All the while microbial growth are reducing the efficiency of my filters and reducing their life times to a matter of hours.
1/???
>>
File: Ema.jpg (42 KB, 750x750)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>Try to get vendors in to see if they have any options for removing fines before they reach the filter.
>One vendor gives a completely asinine proposal and throws our unit under the bus.
>The other vendor just says "can't help ya lol. Just use biocide. Also, your system has unstudied bacteria colonies not common in a wastewater system. We're not sure if biocide will work effectively. GL!"
>Meanwhile, stuck trying to get the operators to record filter changes and receive push back.
>Try to have meeting with my bosses over what we've done in the waste water area and how we need to develop a plan so that we're not just blowing obscene amounts of money on things we don't need.
>Just get crickets and I'm stuck holding the responsibility while having to dodge CEOs, managers, etc.
Is this normal? It's like I'm trying to fight an uphill battle by myself. I've worked at companies where I had to describe what I was doing to the vice president of a company. But never the CEO.....
>>
>>16261015
>Questionable hygiene. ADHD tics
You know where you are, right? Right?

>>16261138
>My appearances and hygiene are both normal/acceptable.
Did you trim your beard?
>I am not even fat anymore. I used to be 150+ kg, but I literally lost 1/2 of my weight.
Good, that shows self control
>My big mistake was getting a math PhD instead of continuing working in software development.
Did you try getting a job wher eyou interned?

>>16261192
>You could be too ugly and autistic for a normal office job.
I got kicked out by a dating consultant because of my looks; I still got a job. And I found his picture, he is better looking then me by far.
>>
>>16261426
Let me correct that.
Vice president of a small company. Not a vice-president of a large multi-national company.
>>
>>16261441
>I got kicked out by a dating consultant because of my looks;
Wtf? why?
>>
>>16258691
>>diff. eqs., dynamical systems
I wouldn't skip this. Very interesting area with lots of applications. There are very good undergraduate books covering this material. Consider zill - a first course in differential equations and Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos by Steven Strogatz
>>
>>16261500
will look into it later m8.thx
>>
>>16261457
For the same reason no second hand car dealer would ever want a wreck to fester on their parking lot. It is un-sellable and would just stay in the parking lot forever.
>>
>>16256716
How much networking did you have to do to get your job? How many papers did you publish during your time as a PhD student? The neocities general says to publish at least ten papers to be competitive but I don't think that's possible for many graduate students
>>
>>16262237
NTA but number of papers is a bad metric and heavily field-dependent. Ten papers could mean ten nth author papers in the journal of obscure garbage f. One first-author nature paper is worth more.

That said, usually you'd aim for three first-author papers and as many co-authorships as you can stack on top.
>>
I had such high hopes for STEM.
This thread is scaring me.

Why would everyone say we need more engineers if nobody is hiring engineers?
>>
>>16260804
>but everyone wants autism-level specialization from their workers nowadays
This is one of the worst things about modern society. The most intellectually demanding careers are being reduced to menial labor, to the point where you don't even need to be smart to do most engineering jobs nowadays.
Aside from some really rare opportunities to do prototyping/R&D at large companies, your only hope to escape this hell is to pursue management or work at a startup.
>>
File: pepone.gif (364 KB, 112x112)
364 KB
364 KB GIF
>>16262309
LMAO, to saturate the market to pay them peanuts. Simple as.
>>
>>16262309
Some engineering disciplines are notoriously if not extremely hard to get hired in with a both relevant and actually interesting job.
>>
File: 1719779835210358.jpg (942 KB, 1003x3135)
942 KB
942 KB JPG
If you replace dog petting with job getting this pretty much sums up this place
>>
>>16262309
Everyone I know that did well, got good grades, wasn't a retard, and did extra activities, such as join an engineering society, all got jobs.
>>
>>16262237
I am that anon. Don't know if I'm the best reference for this but I published two papers during my PhD. One of which was a PRL but I also got cucked out of first author for both.
For networking I emailed a bunch of PIs to get the job, nearly all of whom I had spoken to at conferences. I had a few to choose from and the job I chose was from a boomer-tier handshake at a conference.
10 papers is probably correct for some sciences but not physics or at least not my field. Experiments take too long to do to publish 10 papers in a PhD and most of my peers only published after the PhD.

Going to conferences and talking is really important, if you're a sperg then the poster session is easiest, gives you a reason to talk to them and show interest in their work or that of their students.
>>
>>16259938
Objectively false.
The majority of funded condensed matter PhDs are QC or qc-adjacent they just won't always explicitly say quantum computing in the title. The ratio skews even more QC-heavy for postdocs.
Quantum computing has also been around for ages, people were making and using molecular qubits in the 90s.
>>
>Just got laid off today as a backend software dev with little warning, only a sign that something wrong was coming since I was personally called to be there at office the day before
>Literally nobody in the team had any idea it was coming or who will be cut

...Was it my fault?
>>
>>16262684
sorry need to make room for more indians
please understand
>>
>>16262729
In this case I am from somewhere in Asia to begin with. They say it was cost cutting and I knew for a fact that they werent recruiting recently to begin with considering for two and a half years I remained the most junior member of the team
>>
>>16262684
When people are fired, management will keep those they KNOW. If you did your job well and had zero visibility, then you will lose your job. High visibility also leads to promotion. And that explains a lot of weird promotions.
>>
>>16262746
Checks out, as mentioned, I was the most junior member of the team...
>>
Can I get some real advice instead of more trolling? I have had 3 interviews for temporary teaching positions at different Swedish universities: Chalmers, KTH and Malmö Univeristy. All rejected unfortunately. My applications to teaching positions abroad have been rejected without interviews. Hence, I have no chance of getting a teaching position for the fall term.

Moving forward, I would like a job in software development, which I have held before. Other kinds of math heavy engineering jobs would be awesome as well. However, my job search has been slow as avid readers of my blog (this thread) will know. Will further education in computer science improve my job chances? How about data science? I fear that recruiters thow my resume out becuase of the PhD and work experience as senior lecturer. Help please.
>>
>>16262768
You chose the wrong theoretical subject, you are institutionalized (in the eyes of recruiters), you have shown zero ambition outside of teaching some intro courses after you got out of your phd (where people have jobs lined up year or two in advance).

They probably can see in your face you are an avid homosexual and animewatcher as well.

Either you step it the fuck up bro, or prepare for a very long time of unemployment until you unfuck your shit.
>>
>>16262778
>Either you step it the fuck up bro, or prepare for a very long time of unemployment until you unfuck your shit.
Concretly, what do you recommend I do? Another M.Sc.?
>>
>>16262787
NO, you have too much education and credentials. You need experience. The funny part is that you could use your credentials to land a job in another EU country easy peasy but you seem to not care or maybe your reading comprehension is very low.

If you want to stay in Sweden, the only thing I would do if I was you would be to work for free for a fucking startup to get work XP which you have very little of.
>>
>>16262798
>The funny part is that you could use your credentials to land a job in another EU country easy peasy
How? What kind of jobs?
>>
>>16262802
How can somebody this retarded have attained PhD in math? Do you have a drug habit?
>>
>>16262744
Go back you fucking thief
>>
File: x4rv4wrcxgu01.png (1.15 MB, 1239x1758)
1.15 MB
1.15 MB PNG
I just read this shit...
what the fuck have I done?
Why didn't I take his letter more seriously?
>>
>>16262802
Did you check ythis link posted earlier?
https://www.finn.no/job/fulltime/search.html?q=data+science
Curretly 135 positions are posted.
>>
>>16262838
The guy is a retarded fat homo. He watches anime and thinks jobs is not something you need to position yourself to. I bet he only programmed in matlab for calcs too as the complete retard he is.
>>
>>16262834
>taking career advice from a schizophrenic imprisoned for terrorism
sasuga..
>>
>>16247405
Is he paying for it? And giving you room, career/job-wise to have a secure employment and support? If so, and it sounds like it's the case, you should definitely do it. I can't see any way you would regret that. It sounds like a golden opportunity if you have the drive, energy, and are willing to commit the time (I recommend it)

t. someone soon to be working full-time while also getting a computer science degree
>>
Is master's of computer science good enough/specialized enough? Specifically Georgia Tech's MSCS program. Would that help me be very in demand like AI/ML engineers and tech people are right now?
>>
>>16248678
Just aim as high as as feasible, be as diligent as possible, and attain your academic/career natty limit. Worrying is for the mentally feable.
>>
>>16263146
feeble*
>>
>>16262309
I'm an electrical engineer and I make $70k a year.
I work on a contract basis with no benefits, no PTO, no insurance, and can be let go at any time.
Electricians who work at the company I work at start at a higher wage than I make, and that's for the zero experience bracket.
Engineering is fucked.
>>
This one appeared on my LinkedIn feed:
>If... 𝐚nd this is 𝐚 BIG IF... If the job you are applying for is one where patents are relevant, then yes, list them in an isolated "List of P𝐚tents" section... otherwise, DON'T! Patents are unique and if I am a hiring manager and I see them listed on your resume... my eyes will go right there and not leave!!! Everything on your resume is in direct competition with everything else so if my attention is on your patents, guess where it's NOT... it's not on your bullet points describing how you saved $75K in fiscal year 2023 related to manufacturing costs or how you increased revenue by 250k for that new product line. Everything on your resume needs to SOLVE THE PROBLEMS of the hiring manager... patents don't.

I had no idea hiring managers were so intellectually limited.
>>
>>16248926
>>16263146
Alright, I'm trying to enter my countries top university. Wish me luck fags
>>
>>16263266
If affordability was never an issue (like it certainly is in america), that was always the move, even if it was just an application and a prayer. Go on, anon. Don't do anything unethical or which an impartial and just jury would find you wanting for. Give back to charities, close or abroad, if you make so much of yourself that you have more than you need.
>>
>>16248678
This is true. Only extremes matter. E.g., if you get straight A's, it might open some doors, but won't do much. On the other hand, if you take 16 semesters, where 6 suffices, with shit grades, that might also reflect badly. But even then, after a few jobs, most people will look the other way.

Just make sure to do a few internships and have average grades/not bad ones (make sure it's good enough to get into master's for if you can't find job due to bad economy for ex), that's the optimal position. Don't stress and enjoy life, gl anon.
>>
>>16263261
>I had no idea hiring managers were so intellectually limited.

There's some exceptions but as a rule hiring managers are absolute retards on a power trip. Each one has their own take on how things are meant to be done, which are mutually incompatible.

I find it great that the hiring manager is of the opinion that the candidate should solve the problems of the hiring manager, rather than the problems of the company.
>>
>>16250277
>I wanted to be a fucking electrician when I was young.
>is still alive and also twenty three
Assuming you're in the US...apply to a union and/or move to somewhere with paid union training. I don't have pretensions of being the trade/union expert but it seems very straightforward. Just got my CDL (for like ~$500 out of pocket, with a $600 "scholarship" on the back end) just be googling my options, weighing the pros and cons, and being diligent and earnest and energetic. Just do it, faggot.

Best,
>>
>>16256015
>>16255865
He said what needed to be said. Compartmentalize and let it out where and when appropriate (seek the appropriate where and when and DO let it out. Don't be a spazz who lets things build and/or fester because he can't into emotional hygiene)
>>
>>16262843
>have no job after not listening to him
damn...
>>
>>16262833
You seem to misunderstand, I wasnt working in America or Europe to begin with
>>
File: 1706747845561829.gif (423 KB, 512x807)
423 KB
423 KB GIF
Was getting my bachelors in Bioinformatics a mistake? I don't have any projects outside of my senior capstone and I've been applying to jobs for six months now across multiple different sites, without so much a peep.

I got this degree because I wanted to learn computer science, without wasting my biology credits in college, and because the specific skill set of this field seemed rare enough to guarantee a job, but it seems that most positions require a masters and most of the ones that require a bachelors glance over me. The lack of entry level stuff is frustrating.

What should I do? Go back to school and use military service to pay for it? Grind projects?
>>
>>16263261
So many hours spent being lectured about evils of social media just for them to become mandatory for schoolwork and career. I'll refuse to use linkedin for as long as I can. I know a guy named after 9th century slavic king, and his linkedin is ridiculous. He has his online NASA internship listed, among other things, and apparently speaking 5 langauges.
>>
>>16263533
European bioinf curricula are imo very limited in biology. Same as molecular biology curricula are deficient in analytical chemical approach and bioinformatics. You need to patch a lot of holes by switching majors for MSc
>>
>>16259858
Math degree, PHD at a pretty good uni yeah.

Machine learning is fucking retarded and basically I wish I had chosen literally anything else to do with my fucked up freakazoid brincel life.
>>
>>16255049
if the process is the process you do the process
should've gone into process development if you wanted to make it better
work within the legal frameworks provided, on actual production/pilot production scale the FDA will murder you if you literally anything other than what they approved.
It's literally cheaper to waste chemicals in inefficient processes than it is to fuck around.

go and get yourself a promotion and make a new process instead of whining on the internet faggot
>>
>>16263533
>>16263567
This is new to me, are you in EU anon? Afaik, it's still not like America here, and even people with a modicum of CS knowledge get jobs in tech (let alone a whole B. Sc. in Bioinfo), or did this change in recent years?

I'm interested, since at one point, I wanted to study Bioinfo, but went for CS instead.
>>
Second year undergrad, does it make a difference if I do my bachelors in Physics and my masters in Nuclear Engineering, or if I do my bachelors in Electrical Engineering and masters in Nuclear Engineering. Ultimately interested in going down the medical physics path
>>
>>16264364
I'm the first anon and I'm in the US unfortunately. I'm confused as to what's happening as well. The average person and even a lot of people in the biological sciences didn't even know that this field existed, so I assumed my job security was guaranteed. There can't be that many people with a BSc in Bioinformatics, so I'm wondering how I'm getting glanced over,as there can't be that much competition.
>did this change in recent years?
Maybe I'm a just another drop in the ocean amongst all the laid off techies. I'll probably start applying outside the US as I should have been from the start.

>I'm interested, since at one point, I wanted to study Bioinfo, but went for CS instead.
You likely made the right choice, from what I've heard most people either get their BSc in CompSci or Bio and then specialize later down the line with their masters, as their fields are more generally applicable to a wider amount of jobs, I assumed by specializing early I would have a head start on them. I was the first person to graduate with a BSc in Bioinformatics from my university as they only started offering it in 2017.

If you do wish to pick Bioinformatics later down the line. I'd recommend the Genomic Data Science course by John Hopkins on Coursera, Ben Langmead's youtube channel, the Biopython module and R's Bioconductor module and several books.

(Computational Molecular Biology) Neil C. Jones, Pavel A. Pevzner - An Introduction to Bioinformatics Algorithms-The MIT Press (2004)

Algorithms on strings, trees, and sequences

Bioinformatics Algorithms and Active Learning Approach Second Edition
or the first

Bioinformatics with Python Cookbook by Tiago Antao

Concepts in Bioinformatics and Genomics by Jamil Momand

Mastering Python for Bioinformatics How to Write Flexible, Documented, Tested Python Code for Research Computing by Ken Youens-Clark
>>
File: 1607507165355.png (185 KB, 600x600)
185 KB
185 KB PNG
Guys I need advice
>26 yrs old
>Apprenticeship as electrician and two years of work experience in automotive industry as maintenance technician (this industry is fucked in my western europe country btw)
>Got lucky with crypto and stocks while working -> total net worth of 130k€ as of now
>No future job prospects with my employer
>Decide to quit job and go to college for electrical engineering
>Succeeded in first semester, passed all exams
>Currently in second semester
>Classes are all way harder than in first semester, tried to keep up with everything
>Mental health deteriorated severely
>No gf, no sex, nothing really to look forward currently
>Exams are coming up and I feel like it will be a disaster, can focus anymore, studying is barely possible, brain fog, etc..
Idk guys I just feel like venting and don't know what to do currently
Is being overwhelmed a sign that I'm not made to be an electrical engineer and should just resort back to being a blue collar wagie ?
>>
>>16264417
Meant to say "can't focus anymore"
One more thing to add:
>Life is pain and full of misery currently and don't know how to cope
>>
>>16264422
You'll, you - you.
>>
>>16264417
What is 2nd semester classes?
>>
>>16263556
>I know a guy named after 9th century slavic king, and his linkedin is ridiculous.
Isn't it funny how if a white guy was named Octavian or Vercingetorix everyone would think he is a freak but yet you have all these white guys running around with names like "David" and "Noah" and no one even thinks twice about it. Lol.
>>
>>16264364
>>16264406
You have to understand the difference between CS, MolBio and BioInf. CS is programming and computers, MolBio is about gene sequencing, genetic engineering, cell assays, vanilla MolBio is mostly about DNA->RNA-Protein, but desu all modern lab based biology has MolBio flavour, simply because the techniques are universally useful. CS lacks biology and wet lab, MolBio lacks math, statistical analysis and CS. But then again, we're in post omics era of biology, to work with New Generation Sequencing methods you have to have some CS knowledge, or outsource your work to someone that has. I think bioinf was historically a result of computer nerds migrating to biology and trying to use their tools on different problems (similar to what happened in the 70s with physicists migrating to biology, and kickstarting the molecular age). Now, bioinf curriculum is a bit lacking in both cs and molbio side. At least in my uni it's easy to end up with little lab experience and your cs knowledge ending at python. To give you an idea:
> I know a biotech girl who transfered to bioinf for MSc
> unlike other MSc majors, bioinf does not care about your grades but you have to pass an interview
> 20 people could join, about 14 applied and 8 got in
> I asked her why not let all of them if there were 20 spots?
> she says uni wants only the competent ones
> 2 months later she struggled with some homework, drawing exp(x)/exp(x-1)
> asked me what "e" is, and why does the exponential function exp(x)/exp(x-1) come out as a flat line
I had discrete math with bioinf 1st year undergrads and some of the didn't know what binary was, or how to divide polynomials.
etc.
>>
>>16264566
The strength of bioinf lies in the fact that modern biology needs computers, and people who aren't disgusted by papers about protein complexes with 20+ subunits, or terrified by the thought of differential equations and running bash scripts on a server via ssh cli interface are better than strict "wet lab" or "computers" specialists. But its weakness is the fact that you often end up being neither, and employers already have dedicated wet lab workers, and a CS specialist might be better at some tasks than someone with NGS, molecular cell biology knowledge but with less C coding experience. I'll be doing bioinf MSc as a supplement to BSc in molecular biology, and from my experience straigh bioinf graduates are weak in biology and weak in CS.
>>16264501
it's not about the meaning of the name, or whether it comes from biblical or medieval times. But the fact that if your name is Amadeus or Mieszko, your parents are either weirdo onions retards or high middle class career freaks, both of which are cringe.
>>
>>16264566
>>16264579
>Now, bioinf curriculum is a bit lacking in both cs and molbio side
Yeah, that seems to be a common issue amongst BioInf majors, having to follow both a CS and Bio curriculum, they can end up not being the best programmers and not the best biologist. I know after I switched majors from Biochem in undergrad, I didn't take a linear algebra or discrete math class, and sped along fairly fast with the programming side of things. Not taking those two classes sits in the back of my mind as most CompSci majors took them, but I didn't, and I have no clue how important those are to the field.

As of now I know both R and Python and their respective Bioinformatics packages. I need to get better at Bash, and don't know much Perl as my advisor said it was being phased out, so I didn't bother learning it.
>>
>>16264368
It shouldn't really make a difference since you'll have a nuclear physics masters but a bachelors in physics is an easy box tick for interviewers who don't know better.
>>
>>16264599
discrete math is the basis of CS imo, most of it can be nicely implemented in whatever programming language, and is really fun. As long as you just use linux cli and use awk, grep, sed, rev, cat, tr, head, tail, ..., to do your bidding with text files you'll be good enough with bash. In the current year to be a well rounded biologist you essentially have to study 3 undegrads (eventually), from chemistry to CS. Unless of course you don't mind being another one of "those" biologists:
> "I don't think we need calculus, we use statistics software and don't and only have to know what to click"
This is how biotech grads speak, the high GPA ones that got toy baby's first grant for their MSc thesis

Perhaps the worst facet of bio majors are the students themselves, you'll never feel like your peers aim for the same thing you do. And the only guy that gets you is an old australian biophysicists who could as well be the you of the next 50 years (Aj. Raymond James Ritchie is based, read his hot takes on quora)
>>
>>16264566
>exp(x)/exp(x-1)
well that's a disingenuous problem
>>
>>16264490
Math (mainly integrals in all dimensions)
Electronics (transistors, diodes, Op amps)
Electrical engineering (variations of RLC circuits, three phase systems, switching on/off inductors/ capacitors using diff. Equations
Physics
Computer science (C++)
>>
>>16264666
Are the electronics, EE, and CS classes the hardest? And have you taken Ordinary Differential Equations yet? The reason I want to know is because im transfering to a university from a community college and I've already taken all my math, physics, and chemistry classes. My first year is going to be Engineering Statics, Elements of EE, Thermo, and Computer aided design software.

I want to know if its the actual major specific classes that are brutally difficult because so far its suspiciously easy.
>>
>>16264810
>Are the electronics, EE, and CS classes the hardest?
Mostly electronics and CS, both exams you need 50% to pass and we are not allowed to take any cheat sheets with us.
EE is also tough, but for some reason we only need 30% to pass and are allowed to take every book, notes or whatever you can put on paper with into our exam
Math is also tough

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.