[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I tutor a machine learning course at my university that has seen a boost in enrolments recently. Occasionally, some non STEM students decide to enrol, mostly psychology students. It is extremely satisfying to see them get absolutely rekt by the math required and realize their whole degree is a meme.
>>
>>16252344
Autism: the post
>>
>>16252344
>their whole degree is a meme.
It's just a field of knowledge that doesn't require so much mathematical analysis, that's all.
>>
>>16252344
I'm about to start school for machine learning. What math do I need to excel?
>>
>>16252344
Of all memes math is least rewarding.
>>
>>16252359
Or scientific analysis since it just requires coming up with new words to describe traits and trying to shoehorn them into everything instead of doing any kind of objective measurement.
>>
>>16252388
>least rewarding
>required for literally every technological advancement man has made
>required to effectively manage human affairs
Why are you here?
>>
>>16252369
Linear algebra
>>
>>16252393
>Why are you here?
To remind you that Belle Delphine has made more money selling her bathwater than you made by developing the technology that enables her business.
>>
>>16252401
And yet she will die and leave nothing of value behind. You do not understand the nature of money, child.
>>
>>16252401
According to her, she barely made anything off those sales and they were held in limbo by her payment processor for years.
>>
>>16252392
>Or scientific analysis
That's not true, it proposes falsifiable hypotheses and attempts to test them, but it is a science that deals with subjectivity and hard to quantify matters. AKA, a "soft" science. It is what it is, there's not other way around it.
>>
>>16252426
>falsifiable hypotheses
No, you can't falsify a definition, you can't falsify that someone registers 8 out of 10 happiness units or any other psychometric.
>>
>>16252369
>start school for machine learning
This is such a meme. You’re going to learn how to import pandas and PyTorch and that’s it. Nothing you learn will be transferable to the new flavor of the month meme tech in a few years.
In the mean time math majors will be laughing at you wondering why you spent years just to learn how to Google code you copy and paste while math chads are busy developing all the models in the next few generations of new STEM fashions
>>
>>16252523
Psychometrics are proxy measurements for something else.
>>
Based
But watch out, if more of these retards fail every year, they might think you're the problem.
>>
>>16252344
It's funny until you realize that DEI subhumans and women with psychology degrees are the ones who end up in HR and decide who gets hired in top companies around the world.
>>
>>16252418
yeah nah she already moved all the money to the Cayman Islands.
>>
>>16252523
>definition
I said hypotheses, not definitions.
>>
>>16252621
There are and endless amount of people like you, and none of you are ever right.

:)
>>
>>16252399
and introductory statistics
>>
>>16252344
I gotta admit it's satisfying to see non-STEM students constantly trying to reinvent well established concepts and discipline because they lacked the motivation to dig deeper and are now caught in this limbo of superficial science, where nothing is provable because there is no mathimatically founded formalism to describe the problems.
>>
>>16254233 #
> There are and endless amount of people like you.
There are 2000 new math phds a year *worldwide* according tot the AMS. Meanwhile my math PhD got me a professorship in one of these “ML Masters” degree programs and our one program alone churns out a thousand of these retards a year who pay 100k each for what is technically a masters of science from an Ivy League’s cash-cow night school in “machine learning and data science” LMAO but the only kids who get hired in ML are the ones who came in already with advanced degrees in math, comp sci, or other fundamental science fields. “ML” alone is hype and a toy for people already accomplished in STEM, it’s not a life career
>>
>>16255495
ITT: in total 1 IQ group
>>
>>16252344
its crazy how much arrogance builds from not getting laid
>>
>>16252344
>absolutely rekt by the math
At doing a few matmults and jacobians?
Nobody's that retarded
>>
>>16252401
Only people driven by envy care about something like that.
>>
>>16252399
Is the Khan Academy LA section good enough, or should I pick up Strang's book? (nta btw)
>>
>>16252344
What are they going to use ML for? Psychoanalysis?
>>
>>16252344
machine learning doesn't exist. They just changed the name to something cooler just to fish normalfags like you and stopid psychology. students.
>>
>>16257326
What would you like to call using data to create models that can make predictions on unseen data? What do you think learning is retard?
>>
File: IMG_20240628_001538004.jpg (2.89 MB, 4096x3072)
2.89 MB
2.89 MB JPG
>>16252344
I bought this book. Can you teach me some stuff regarding machine learning?
>>
>>16255720
Doesn't change your failed course grade
>>
>>16257658
import numpy
import pandas
import scikit-learn
>>
>>16257644
It's called interpolation and it's been around since the ancient times. Recently it was mixed with CS faggotry and took the name memechine learning.
The fact that even low IQ normie psychology students show up to your class just shows how much of a buzzword meme it is.
>>
>>16252344
With enough hot air, even losers like you can fly.
>>
>>16252523
Cool, now try to come up with a super quantifiable and 0% subjective way of describing human psychology and behavior.
Hard mode: make it actually useful
>>
>>16260559
Humans are machines that replicate themselves and are modeled by natural selection. There’s nothing more to it, human “psychology” was solved 200 years ago.
>>
>>16252369
>I'm about to start machine learning, what do i need
>to excel
>excel

Answered you're own question chief

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.