[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I need a substance that will help me concentrate more to get more work done.

What should I use? I've been drinking coffee but it doesn't help. It just makes me jittery and makes my heart beat faster.

My doc thinks I should try an antidepressant but I don't want all the shitty side effects. And I don't feel depressed, I just feel low on energy.
>>
african cum
>>
>>16256425
>75-300mg moclobemide
>5-15mg weekly (oral) selegiline
>Modafinil
>Bupropion
>Methylphenidate
These options, somewhat in order of most preferable but most mild, to least preferable but most intense, may be preferable long term to monamine releaser stimulants like amphetamine
>>
>>16256425
>I need a substance
No you don't. You need water, animals and plants.
>>
>>16256425
Where does espresso fall on this list?
>>
>>16256454
Interesting, maybe I should look into this stuff

>>16256464
Nothing is fucking working, I need to become more productive

>>16256469
It's in the image, the 4th from the left
>>
>>16256464
Caffeine comes from a plant you fucking hippie.
>>
File: 123.gif (939 KB, 498x286)
939 KB
939 KB GIF
>>16256425
Speed
>>
>>16256425
Is that instant hot chocolate? If so I may switch from black tea to it
>>
>>16256425
>I need a substance that will help me concentrate more to get more work done.
No, you need a serious dopamine detox
(and so do I, lol)
>>
>>16256442
moist fag
>>
>>16256425
i rely on caffeine and my life is in shambles

learn from the mistakes of others and dont fall for the caffeine meme

do adderall like a man
>>
>>16256517
I use moclobemide for depression, but it helped a lot with energy and motivation, though it did so much better at 300mg or below (I use 600 as I required more relief from depression). It's very innocuous and benign as a drug with few side effects. Just watch out for potentially lethal drug interactions for anything related to serotonin - e.g. SSRI/SNRI or SRAs like MDMA. I don't need as much caffeine any more, quit coffee and have just 1-2 cups of tea a day instead.

Selegiline is a similar drug, an MAOI, but specific for MAO-B and is irreversible - which means it takes about 2-4 weeks for the effect to fully wear off after the last dose. For that reason you don't necessarily need to use it daily, just 2-3 times a week to keep inhibition at a stable level. Be careful as it can potentially cause compulsive behaviour. I personally haven't found a whole lot of benefit at 1.25mg sublingual 3x weekly, but mileage varies a lot. Increasing dose beyond a certain level will inhibit MAO-A then you need to watch out for dietary tyramine, and again the serotonergic drug interactions.

Modafinil is a commonly used study drug but intended to treat narcolepsy, it's also safe for daily use and has a unique mechanism of action. Personally I don't like it much, but a lot of people swear by it.

I haven't tried buproprion but it is used for quitting smoking and off-label to treat depression. It is a stimulating drug that inhibits reuptake of norepinephrine and dopamine, but not serotonin.

Methylphenidate is the classic ADHD medication. It's also an NDRI but much more potent and with more dopamine action than bupropion, which is more balanced towards norepinephrine.
>>
>>16256425
>And I don't feel depressed, I just feel low on energy.
Not for nothing, but that's a classic symptom of depression, especially when it presents with difficulty concentrating on everyday tasks. The suggestion that you try an antidepressant is not a bad one here.
>>
>>16256442
It's actually being grown in Europe now because of global warming. First harvest was in 2021.

https://www.gcrmag.com/coffee-grown-in-italy-and-its-implications-for-the-future/
>>
>>16256469
Are you fucking blind my nigga
>>
>>16256425
Get a gf.
It really works as an antidepressant, even if I admit there are some bad side effects.
>>
>>16258040
who here can afford this?
>>
File: 1230011536.jpg (204 KB, 1200x1600)
204 KB
204 KB JPG
>>16256425
>amount of caffeine per cup
>except espresso which is per shot since thats a common way of consuming it
>but redbull is still per cup despite it also coming in 12oz, 16oz, and 20oz cans
>which have 110mg, 150mg, and 190mg respectively btw
stupid graphic
also caffeine is poison
>>
Coffee, are u dumb??
>>
>>16258432
We only have 250ml redbulls in my country
Wish we had the 500ml version
>>
>>16256699
How do you feel about something like bromantane, or all the various racetams?

Also, presumably there's no semi-legitimate way to procure ADHD medications such as methylphenidate without resorting to 'dark net markets', yeah? Other than like atomoxetine, although to my understanding, it's 'effectiveness' and side effects are arbitrary/inconsistent. Lmk what you think.
>>
>>16256425
bro I run on coke diet for my PhD
>>
>>16258701
yeah the big ones are illegal in most non-burger countries to avoid heart attacks
>>
>>16256425
300 mg and I'm FLOATING
>>
>>16259152
Caffeine has always been my favorite stimulant.
Amphetamines don't do fuck all for me.
>>
drink 2000 cups of brewed coffee and be too dead to worry about your lack of concentration.
>>
>>16256464
This. OP aint Christian.
>>
>>16259068
I've never tried any of them. I like MAOIs, they are clean and elegant drugs which improve all aspects of functioning for me. I don't feel the need to try anything else.

You may have trouble getting it without a prescription, depending on the country you're in. For the UK, you can import prescription medications legally (I used United Pharmacies), but not if the medication is a controlled substance. Not sure if methylphenidate is controlled in the UK or not, I saw bupropion on UP though.

I'm prescribed MAOIs now anyway so don't need to resort to importing meds any more.
>>
>>16256425
A better sleep schedule.
>>
>>16260003
This
>>16256425
And to add to this regular cardio. you fix these two things and all of a sudden you can focus for long periods of time. But, you probably aren't gonna do it because you lack discipline and just want an easy fix.
>>
>>16256775
Coffee not being grown in Italy until now has little to do with global warming and more to do with both a dry climate and a lack of slave labor. Also lack of available space for plantations.
Africa et al are really better places for cash cropping. It’s hot, wet, and poor. You can bulldoze shit and local “subcontractors” have access to cheap/slave labor.
>>
>>16260134
I'd follow his advice. And it's also nice to drink mate.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.