[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: pepe cigarette.jpg (34 KB, 511x451)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
How do I get good at math?
>>
Like everything else, by doing it.
>>
File: IMG_0574.jpg (777 KB, 828x1232)
777 KB
777 KB JPG
>>16257577
Read math history. Study linguistics and axioms and math will be so intuitive you can do it in your sleep
>>
>>16257638
Thanks. Why linguistics though?
>>
>>16257669
Because math is a language with numbers and symbols.

And theorems are based on decidedabilty which must be clear and concise with structure and universally understood through all language and cultures

Also math is useless unless applied philosophically or applied to measure a system. Or physical substance. Example How much soda in this bottle or how much drugs my dealer gave me etc.

Or when making predictions you manipulate symbols to find truth values. Truth is based on universal axioms. Wich are language based
>>
>>16257579
the correct answer got ignored because mathlets don't want to do math
>>
>>16257577
Study and practice.
>>
>>16257916
Begone faggots.
>>
File: 1649750978000.png (331 KB, 688x475)
331 KB
331 KB PNG
>how do I learn math
>study history and linguistics

holy fuck this site lol
>>
>>16257955
Kek. Do you have any suggestions for a REAL math board that actively solves math instead of losers complaining about studying it?
>>
>>16257577
Hi, math tutor here.

As an anecdote with what I've seen, it's about learning by doing, and learning by watching.

To get good at math, you need to solve problems. Read the book, look at the examples, and do the problems.

However, I do think there is merit in watching others solve problems as well. Youtube is great for this, because there are countless of videos that go through a variety of different problems. Admittedly, it does lack in quality, and I know a lot of creators like to take shortcuts (like the epidemic of using "DNE" - does not exist - for limits), which is why I highly recommend books.

Be careful though. Math does include logic, and at some point, you should be required to learn either logical notation or thinking in the context of math problems. Go ham on this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_logic_symbols
Rules from logic apply to mathematics as well (e.g. de Morgan's law), so learn these and use them when appropriate (depending on your level)

When it comes to problem solving techniques, a great one I use myself a lot is "divide and conquer". Problems are often composed of smaller, easier problems, so you may use this to chop a problem up in smaller and easier pieces to arrive at your solution.
>>
>>16257577

I have greatly improved my math by youtube channels of people solving problems showing every step of the solution

This person, that I think is some sort of Indian kid, is my favorite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s5tGgxk92w

Also, buy books and workbooks, especially if you have forgotten a lot of high school math
>>
>>16257577
>>16257579
There are also math apps that give problems + solutions.
This is a great way to get better at math every day.
>>
1. Take a math book.
2. Sit down.
3. Read it.
>>
>>16257577
More importantly: does learning math lead to discovering the secrets of the universe and become an eternally blissful God-like being? There needs to be a pay-off for all the suffering caused by practicing math.
>>
>>16259734
The pay-off is understanding.
>>
>>16257579
Not a spectator sport
>>
>>16259752
It actually is mostly spectator sport. The vast majority of the work done by mathematicians is in spectating and trying to understand what others have done, at least in the beginning of their careers.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.