[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

/sci/, let's talk about the "Clathrate Gun Hypothesis". For those unfamiliar, it's the idea that warming temperatures could destabilize methane hydrates in ocean sediments and permafrost, leading to a massive release of methane—a potent greenhouse gas.

fearmongering syllogism here:
>Methane hydrate (clathrate) stored in permafrost and ocean sediments
>Climate warms up
>Permafrost thaws and ocean temps rise
>Methane hydrates start to destabilize
>Methane (CH4) released into the atmosphere
>Methane is a way stronger greenhouse gas than CO2
>Feedback loop initiated
>More warming leads to more methane release
>More methane release leads to more warming
>Runaway greenhouse effect
>Global temperatures skyrocket
>Catastrophic climate change
>Humanity down the shitter

Discuss and rid me of my ignorance
>>
File: 1684236719116837.jpg (302 KB, 1200x1200)
302 KB
302 KB JPG
>>16258943
Will we be talking about this...or no?
>>
>>16258972
sure
>>
File: 1682051594888191.jpg (198 KB, 800x800)
198 KB
198 KB JPG
>>16258943
>OY VEY THE WORLD IS COMING TO AN END!!!!
>THATS WHY YOU HAVE TO GIVE ME ALL OF YOUR MONEY AND DO EVERYTHING I SAY!!!
>I AM THE SAVIOR OF PLANET EARTH!!!!
you have a personality disorder, go get your head checked
>>
>>16258976
I'm deeply sorry, I must be isolating myself and devouring my own delusions for the umpteenth time.
>>
>>16258997
I mean there's not much to discuss. Methane is a decent greenhouse gas. A warming trend theoretically could free methane trapped in permafrost, but it's highly unlikely to be a serious amount. Most global warming alarmism isn't based on science.
>>
Methane (natural gas) is the biggest source of electricity in the US...
>>
if methane is such a dangerous "greenhouse gas" then why is getting rid of it by burning it bad?
>>
>>16259128
it produces CO2 as a byproduct, which has the same issues.
CO2 (Carbon Dioxide):
>Long-lived greenhouse gas with a concentration of 415 ppm
>Atmospheric lifetime: 50-200 years
>Global warming potential (GWP): 1 (standard unit for comparison)

Methane (CH4):
>Less abundant greenhouse gas with a concentration of 1,800 ppm
>Atmospheric lifetime: 12-17 years
>GWP: 28-34 times higher than CO2 over 100 years

The difference is that methane has a shorter atmospheric lifetime and a higher GWP than CO2, making it a more potent contributor to climate change over a shorter time frame.
>>
>>16259148
Calling CO2 a "greenhouse gas" isn't technically lying, but it's damn close. The same individuals will make sure you know that water vapor "isn't" one.
>>
>>16259151
I am aware water vapor traps heat as well.
>>
File: lolwut.png (153 KB, 978x548)
153 KB
153 KB PNG
>>16259159
Well don't mention it to global warming alarmists.
>>
>>16259161
You don't have any secret information. The contribution of water is well understood. You could look it up on wikipedia if you wanted.
>>
>>16259174
You can and it's fact, and global warming alarmists still pretend it doesn't exist. CO2 isn't even the most important greenhouse gas if you subtract water vapor.
>>
>>16259184
Take your meds. Nobody is keeping secrets from you. There is no grand conspiracy. You just learned about something that is very basic information and thought it was groundbreaking. Have you at least read enough to understand that the concentration of water vapor in the atmosphere is driven by local temperature and not the other way around?
>>
>>16259151
??
>>
>>16259190
>Take your meds.
Eglin Air Force Base.
>>
>>16259195
You should discuss your conspiracy theories with your therapist.
>>
>>16259209
I'd rather expose you on the site most likely to spread awareness about your behavior. How you like that, you bitch?
>>
>>16258943
We are largely protected by the fact that +4C water is the heaviest.
This will go away only after everything is warmer than 4C.
>>
>>16259128
[math]
CH_4+2\, O_2 \rightarrow CO_2+2\, H_2O
[/math]
>>
>>16258943
1. there isn't infinite methane to be released; there isn't even enough to cause enough warming for a muh feedback loop
2. even if there was a lot of methane, there is too much oxygen in the atmosphere for it to stick around for more than a few years. it would be converted back to CO2 before long and then it would be be fixed by plants
>>
File: Screenshot_7.png (153 KB, 551x425)
153 KB
153 KB PNG
>>16259161
>humans are not adding to it's amount
every single stock image used in warming alarmist articles is of water vapour. Whenever you are burning a hydrocarbon, you are adding as much water vapour as you are CO2

>but water will muh precipitate
yeah, if you stopped all industrial activity for a month, then all of that water would precipitate, but we continuously add more all of the time, so fuck you
>>
File: 600 genders 2 positions.png (577 KB, 1079x857)
577 KB
577 KB PNG
>>16259409
Lol anything that's not CO2 doesn't count, even if it's orders of magnitude more powerful at trapping heat...because REASONS OKAY?
>>
>>16258972
>ruptured pipeline
that's not the same phenomena the OP is referring to.
>>
>>16259446
I know exactly what he's talking about, you low IQ twit, the question is do you care as much about the bombing of the Nord Stream pipeline as you do about an entirely hypothetical clathrate *boom*?
>>
>>16259403
You have your points.
> 1. Methane stored in clathrates isn't infinite(of course not), but it's enough to cause significant short-term warming if released rapidly.
> 2. Methane does convert to CO2 over time, but not all methane is immediately oxidized, and its sheer short-term potency as a greenhouse gas is much higher than CO2.
> 3. The concern isn't just about methane alone; it's about triggering feedback loops that could accelerate warming to specific temperatures.

>photosynthesis fails or is disrupted at higher temperatures
>Reduced photosynthesis means less CO2 absorption from the atmosphere, exacerbating greenhouse gas levels.
>lower crop yields impact global food security and economic stability throughout the world.
>Changes in these yields affect habitats and food sources for animals/pests/meatbags. expect hostile migration/relation patterns in the future
>a myriad of other factors that strain agriculture that in turn threatens the foundation of every major civilization
>>
>>16259470
>photosynthesis fails or is disrupted at higher temperatures
Lol this is absolute fucking nonsense. This is one of the coldest points in Earth's entire history. Photosynthesis is not going to "fail" with slightly increased temperatures. Temps were 4°C warmer only 125,000 years ago.

>lower crop yields
We could only be so fucking lucky. There are too many of you fucking parasites.

>expect hostile migration/relation patterns in the future
You mean more than the almost complete replacement kikes have already inflicted. Get back with me when you have a new threat.
>>
>>16258943
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmosphere_of_Titan
>One of the most captivating aspects of Titan's atmosphere is the anti-greenhouse effect, a phenomenon that significantly shapes the moon's climate and surface conditions. Unlike Earth, where greenhouse gases absorb and re-radiate solar energy to warm the planet, Titan’s atmosphere operates differently due to its high concentration of methane, especially in the stratosphere. This methane functions as an "anti-greenhouse gas," by absorbing some incoming solar energy before it can reach the surface, leading to cooler surface temperatures than if methane were less abundant.

>When comparing the atmospheric temperature profiles of Earth[62] and Titan,[63] stark contrasts emerge. On Earth, the temperature typically increases as altitude decreases from 80 to 60 kilometers above the surface. In contrast, Titan’s temperature profile shows a decline over the same altitude range. This variation is largely due to the differing impacts of greenhouse and anti-greenhouse effects in Earth's and Titan's atmospheres, respectively.
Funny, apparently methane is an ANTI-GREENHOUSE gas on Titan, yet it is a greenhouse gas on Earth. Isn't that just quackin' crazy?
>>
>>16259418
Here's a tip,

People are experiencing Abuse in the Bundaberg Maryborough region of Queensland, and want the privvy council to execute you in the next month for continuing to abuse their personal and financial rights
>>
>>16259477
>Talk about "Clathrate Gun Hypothesis" on /sci/
>Idea is that methane hydrates in permafrost/ocean sediments get destabilized by warming temps
>Methane gets released, super potent greenhouse gas
>Runaway warming, catastrophic climate change, humanity screwed

Response:
>Look up Titan's atmosphere on Wikipedia
>Methane on Titan acts as an "anti-greenhouse gas"
>Absorbs solar energy in the stratosphere, cools the surface
>On Earth, methane is a greenhouse gas, traps heat, warms the planet
>Isn't it crazy? Same gas, totally different effects depending on the planet
>Titan is uninhabitable, with -179°C surface temp and thick atmosphere
>Comparison adds nothing to the conversation
>>
>>16260078
If you start a bot thread, don't be surprised when you attract lots of bots. If you want to discuss, put less buzzwords in the OP, maybe disguise the topic with an actual research paper.
>>
>>16260245
Sound logic, yet to get responses, one often needs to provoke/sensationalize topics that resonate with the average /sci/ user. (spread fear)
>>
>>16259452
we care just as much
happy?
>>
>>16258943
we can't rule it out, there are some disturbing findings in siberia. HOWEVER, we can rule out the completely apocalyptic scenario of Earth getting turned into Venus 2.0.
>ocean sediments
yeah we probably good on that too. No evidence so far of ocean heat warming up the deep sea. We've found some interesting methane bubbles in the cascadia region, but we can't link those to climate change.
>>
>>16260567
Okay, the lakes of frozen methane in Siberia detail has me uneasy. The ocean sediments staying stable because of thermal inertia makes sense (oceans are massive and dissipate heat slowly).
>>
>>16259128
>why is getting rid of it by burning it bad?
in the short term it is not; it's actually preferable to burn the escaping methane since it's 25x more potent as as greenhouse gas that CO2.
The next problem is long-term,: CO2 will last for a stupid-long amount of time in the atmosphere.
>>
File: dspp.jpg (37 KB, 572x676)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>16259452
>bombing of the Nord Stream pipeline
AGAIN!
>>
>>16258943
Sounds like we need to start a massive offshoot of the O&G industry which specializes in methane hydrate mining! Burn those hydrates before they release that deadly methane gas!

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.