[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1691209431572242.png (124 KB, 1500x1500)
124 KB
124 KB PNG
>almost half of the european and american public believe scientists have created simple life in a lab
>yet scientists dont have a clue and are no close to solving the origin of life problem than 100 years ago
>if you have a personal conversation with these biologists most of them unironically claim its possible as long as there is aloooooooooooooot of time to work with
>yet they cant construct life even with their own intentional actions

how much longer until the meme of abiogenesis gets exposed? why are scientists so afraid of emergence and teleology? is it because its sounds too much like muh sky daddy? Is teleological thinking inherently unscientific?
>>
>>16260102
Personally I believe there is some degree of teleology in evolution. This doesn't necessarily imply a "sky daddy". However, teleology is only one factor. Randomness and free will are equally important. Determinism is a dangerous dogma.
>>
>>16260124
>This doesn't necessarily imply a "sky daddy"
but does the average scientists believe that?
>free will are equally important
explain
>>
File: IMG_0599.jpg (125 KB, 1024x724)
125 KB
125 KB JPG
>>16260102
Yea I agree this is what I’m screaming about all the time. The public has the implicit assumption about science that isn’t true.
>>
File: IMG_0601.jpg (572 KB, 828x1166)
572 KB
572 KB JPG
>>16260124
I believe in god. But I also believe in deterministic characteristics in species. I’m not really a fan of evolution in the context on the theory of its origin. But I will concede that Darwin was spot on with a good amount of his work.

I also believe modern atheism derives from these scientific dogmas. It won’t hurt to say we don’t know some things. And that’s the beauty of discovery.
>>
>>16260102
>almost half of the european and american public believe scientists have created simple life in a lab
But they have.
>yet scientists dont have a clue and are no close to solving the origin of life problem than 100 years ago
That's also not true, but I fail to see what one has to do with the other.
>yet they cant construct life even with their own intentional actions
As said above, they have.
>>
>>16260364
No they haven’t idiot keep dreaming
>>
>>16260102
If abiogenesis we would have new lines of evolutionary descent appearing spontaneously all the time especially when the conditions for life have just improved over geological time
>>
>>16260364
wrong
>>
>>16260437
>keep dreaming
yes, we will keep dreaming, you keep ignorant
>>16260708
don't give a shit about your personal opinion,

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.