[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1.png (154 KB, 626x417)
154 KB
154 KB PNG
Greetings /sci/

Dumbfag here, seeking nerd knowledge regarding genetic inheritance. In respect to SNPs, are heterozygous sets ever associated as the primary protective or risk factors of an expressed trait?

Shitty example attempt: SNP rs298734bbq2343 is associated with an increased or decreased risk of autism. Will the homozygous (C;C) or (T;T) pairings always be the determining factor for risk/protection? Or are there exceptions where the heterozygous inheritance (C;T) alleles are the primary driving force behind risk and protection?

P.S. I'm sure my question is riddled with misuse of terminology. If any clarification is needed in order to offer insight please let me know and I'll do my best to reword things more coherently.
>>
I'm not sure I understand precisely what you mean by "determining factor of risk/protection", but there are cases where the heterozygous state is better than the homozygous one.
Look into sickle cell anemia and heterozygote advantage.

https://bio.libretexts.org/Courses/University_of_California_Davis/BIS_2A%3A_Introductory_Biology_(Easlon)/Readings/21.1%3A_Sickle_Cell_Anemia
>>
>>16262047
That link is perfect! Thank you so much anon!

What I meant was that sometimes like on platforms such as SNPedia certain alleles are labeled as "risk alleles"

>risk allele: in the context of a disease, this is the allele that confers a risk of developing the disease. Most of the time, risk allele = minor allele, as most people will not carry the risk allele. However, in some case, the risk allele can in fact be the major allele.
>>
>>16262430
No problem!
>>
>>16262430
>>16262047
It's worth noting that the context of the genotype must be factored in when considering "risk" and "protection".
In the context of sickle cell alleles, the heterozygous configuration confers protection against malaria, but still increases the risk of cardiovascular disease. In places where the risk of malaria is sufficient, the benefit of protection against malaria offsets the increased CVD risk, but in places with low or zero malaria risk, the heterozygous configuration is merely another risk factor to CVD as compared to homogenuous normal red blood cell alleles.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.