[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: elonmusk_2017-stageshot.jpg (1.74 MB, 2400x1800)
1.74 MB
1.74 MB JPG
He thinks engineering is much better than physics. I found that pretty controversial opinion, because he actually studied physics at uni.

>the range of possibilities for engineering
is far greater than for physics
>once you figure out the rules of the universe, that's it
>but from that you can then build technologies with that are really almost limitless
>physics is just rules of the game, engineering is the game itself

Do you agree with him?
>>
>>16260923
>because he actually studied physics at uni.
Doesnt mean much lol. Physics courses are usually hot garbage, especially the ones in South Africa which produced retards like Mandlbaur. Elon Musk isn't the type of guy to read books either
>>
>>16260923
you need to know physics to be good a engineer
>>
>>16260923
I sort of get it.
For the physicist, the ideal telescope looks 14 billion years into the past, for the engineer, it looks for the planets around stars closer to us.
Their ideal experiment is a trillion dollar track around a town using energy levels only possible on a handful of atoms to prove a math problem that was already solved decades prior. For the engineer an experiment would be testing a component until failure over and over until he has assembled the entire industrialized world.
A physicist will tell you that one day a space elevator might be possible with materials that can exist but don't yet. An engineer will start building a better rocket.
>>
>>16260935
Well, he studied physics at Penn, not South Africa lol. That's his take on this experience (it's from the same interview he was talking about engineering vs physics):

>the degree to which quantum mechanics can predict outcomes is incredible.
>that was my heart hardest class in college by the way
>my senior quantum mechanics class was harder than all of my other classes put together

It sounds like he struggled with quantum mechanics.
>>
I think this emerges out of what he wanted to do with his physics degree. He never did anything that would seem related to physics to a lay person yet he dabbled in a number of different technical and financial areas.

I think the area of advanced study for someone with a physics degree who wants to move in a more applied direction is typically a materials science postgrad like I believe he briefly committed to. I know even in industry we rely on materials science PhDs for the entire metamaterial landscape even if we do not produce any ourselves. Even our engineering design guys (rf/mw) have some difficulties integrating these beyond "fancy mirror".
>>
>>16260976
Physics degrees go a lot more in-depth into all aspects of physics. That's like saying you need to know "math"to be a good engineer.
>>
He's right insofar that any meaningful progress today is much more likely to occur in the technology sector vs theoretical physics. But the last two lines are just cope. Engineering hits diminishing returns like any field. Also, critically, engineering is downstream from physics. Without new physics, engineering will hit a plateau (arguably happening rn).
>>
this is the guy who says hydrogen bad & silly, then sells söymales 444*12 lithium ion batteries and a car frame.
>>
>>16261101
>quantum mechanics
Shit is fake anyway
>>
>>16260923
He's right.

Physics is just mainly passively trying to find out the rules of the game.
Engineering is playing the game. Magic happens when you actively combine atoms together in certain sequences in certain patterns. Thats engineering.
>>
>>16261187
>Magic happens when you actively combine atoms together in certain sequences in certain patterns. Thats engineering.
but that also sounds exactly like chemistry too
>>
>>16261239
Chemical engineering is another domain. But generally chemistry is accessible enough that we learn the basic rules of the game and try to learn from emulation. Since its more accessible to us, some of the basic premise of engineering a new formula also gets done in this discipline as well. However the chem engineering side (and the various specialized branches) do the main engineering.
>>
>>16260923
elon strikes me as a guy that knows jackshit about physics or maths, he pretends to know to garner attention
>>
>>16260923
Well, yeah, anon. Physics is the one plus one equals two of the college level lessons and engineering is "Ok, I memorized physics, math and all that shit, so what the fuck do I do with all these crazy numbers, letters and lines!?" Time to build stuff.
>>
>>16261115
Engineering has reached a plateau? You're either the world's dumbest person or you live in a hole and don't know what's going on outside.
>>
>>16261313
I think you replied to the wrong person. I do not believe that engineering has reached a plateau generally. I do understand what that commentor is getting at however.
>>
>>16260923
is architecture better than bricks?
>>
>>16261249
>chemists learn the basic rules of the game and try to learn from emulation
sounds like a chad move, learning enough information and getting shit done. whereas physicists

>math is le beautiful, god is a mathematician, we gonna find the god equation of everything anytime soon
cringe
>>
>>16261147
We need to increase the collective IQ of the population before we can learn new physics. People haven't even internalized the knowledge of quantum physics yet and it's been around since the 1900s. People are still operating with obsolete classical physics mindset.
>>
>>16260923
Physicists in the old days were the engineers. Nowadays physics got so diverse that most of physicists dont have time for doing other stuff that might fall in the engineering umbrella. Anyways engineers are fags and the only few worth respect are electrical and aerospace engineers.
>Verification not required.
>>
>>16261692
Some people even confuse paper publishing as science these days too. They miss out on what makes science science entirely given that the field of paper pushers have gotten so large and have drowned out real science.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.