[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I took calculus and differential equations in college. I got Bs in each.

I can not define calculus or know what diff eq is for.

where and how can i learn about the uses for math so i can understand?
>>
>>16261223
You don't sound like someone who could handle a math degree. Aren't you an engineer or something even below that? In that case you are literally studying the uses of math, what's the problem?
>>
>>16261246
He is a CSfag pajeet
>>
>>16261223
>I can not define calculus or know what diff eq is for.
>where and how can i learn about the uses for math so i can understand?

Not many people talk about this, but there is a pretty high bar of creativity required. It doesn't seem that way for people that are good at it, but good mathematicians and engineers are artists, real artists.
During the course you should have been spontaneously coming up with ways the math is useful in daily life or applications all on your own. Most guys it seems just thinking of ways to build cannons, bombs, machines, optimize warfare, that sort of thing.
>>
I would recommend purchasing the books to self-study these subjects given that you know most of it as well as using some free guided courses online. Have an eye towards creativity per >>16261253 and maybe also start to learn real analysis on the side.
>>
>>16261223
First read Precalculus by Stitz ans Zeiger then read Calculus - Infinitesimal Approach by Keisler. Any time Keisler's is confusing on something, cross reference that topic in Apostol's Calculus volumes 1-2.

Calculus is based on two concepts: integral and derivative (which are essentially inverses of each other). A function's integral (antiderivative) is the area between the function and the x axis ('area under the curve") which has physical uses/representations such as acceleration.
A function's derivative is the function's rate of chance ('slope').

Source: I am someone who generally did great in math classes but, like you, came away from school with no understanding of what calculus actually is because school is about memorizing methods and equations to get good grades, school is sadly not about actually learning and understanding, then I read the books I recommended above and in a month I gained 1000x greater understanding of calculus than I did in years of school
>>
>>16261262
>rate of chance
*rate of change
>>
Based
>>
>>16261262
>integral
>>16261262
>acceleration
Did you mean derivative or am I missing something?
>>
>>16262183
>derivative
>>
>>16261258
>I would recommend purchasing the books to self-study these subjects given that you know most of it

I learned to put in variables like a monkey with a pegboard. I get the limit curves infinitely close but does not touch the limit line

that's about all i know

there is no point in teaching people this way imo
>>
>>16261223
See https://sheafification.com/the-fast-track/
This is a study plan put together by a few /mg/ anons some years ago. I like it a lot. Should help you get an overview of what you should study to understand a certain field
>>
Genuinely wondering: how could op take these classes with simple intuition and not understand this shit

integral: area under curve
derivative: slope of point on curve
diffeq: Modelling interest rates and population growth and half lives

Even a third grader could understand this, what the fuck is filtering so many people
>>
>>16262813
When I was in basic calculus (never took it in high school because I am very very stupid), I was self teaching what I could of real analysis/advanced calculus on the side and skipping as needed. A lot of concepts from linear algebra that are applied are fairly intuitive and can simply be studied as they come up (Anki that shit). My only recommendation is for you to ape that process with a huge leg up.
>>
>>16263248
>Even a third grader
>>
>>16261246
>Aren't you an engineer or something
If they were an engineer they'd know exactly what calculus is for. In engineering even physics 1 requires calculus.
>>
>>16263636
Terry Tao did, so yes, even a third grader
>>
>>16261223
Okay, do you understand dots on a screen showing a trend? You know how you can differences between the heights of the dots and then divide by the distance between the dots and learn what the moving slope is?

Calculus is just that done for situations where there are NO dots, just continuous lines. That's it. Differencing and division is what a derivative IS. Similarly, multiplication and summation are what an integral is. You can do similar operations at the discrete dot level, but much of our reality is continuous/analog and requires this special math.

Differential equations are simply relating this special differencing, divisions, summations, and multiplications (differentiation and integration) to other things in order to describe relationships. No different than solving for like a trend line in a scatter plot (just more complex and general).

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.