[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: sun is north.jpg (50 KB, 780x690)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
I have a room on the north side with windows looking due north and I can see the sun rise and set from my window, casting the light on the opposite wall, as seen in pic related. This confuses me because I always thought the south side of a building got the sun. But here I am on the north side and I see the sun. Of course this is happening around the equinox so I figure it might have to do with that, but I can't figure out why.
>inb4 'flat earth'

please help me, /sci/, to understand what's going on
>>
>>16262376
This reminds me of a time I put a frozen stick of butter in the middle of a turntable microwave vertically, such that it was standing up rather than on its side. See, I was trying to defrost the frozen butter and didn't want to wait.
Anyways, after a few cycles of defrost I pop open the microwave and take out what was previously a frozen stick of butter but of course now it was mostly thawed. To my amazement, the now thawed piece of butter had melted completely in the center vertically, up and down, leaving a hole from the very top of the stick of butter down to the very bottom of the stick of butter with a small puddle of melted butter underneath. This surprised me, as I had placed the stick of butter in the center of the microwave vertically. How did the butter melt such that the hole was going vertically along the long stick of butter? Does my microwave shoot it's beam from the top down the center? I always had thought these shot from the side kind of behind the keypad
>>
>>16262376
>equinox
edit: solstice

>>16262392
that's definitely weird ... and why do you freeze butter?
>>
File: lahaina-noon-16.jpg (79 KB, 556x742)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
>>16262376
if you are not at the equator then the sun doesnt cross the sky from straight above, if you are in the northern hemisphere then the sun is angled north and vice versa in the southern hemisphere. If you go outside at noon you'll notice that shade still exists around objects if you are not at the equator. But this is what noon looks like for people at the equator, no shade because the sun is perfectly perpendicular to the ground
>>
File: SunOnCelestialSphere.png (12 KB, 320x310)
12 KB
12 KB PNG
>>16262414
i found this ... it shows that the June sun is northward at sunrise/sunset but rises to the southern sky at noon.
But it doesn't explain why.
>>
>>16262376
You're north of the equator.
>>
>>16262418
The earth's axis of rotation is tilted relative to the axis or translation around the sun.
In the summertime, the nirth hemisphere is tilted towards rhe sun, and so the sun rises from the NE and sets in the NW.
>>
>>16262623
I figured this out as a kid in the 90's.
Wow, you people.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.