[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • Use with [math] tags for inline and [eqn] tags for block equations.
  • Right-click equations to view the source.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 24-cell.gif (2.76 MB, 255x255)
2.76 MB
2.76 MB GIF
Does there exist a space-filling rhombic disphenoid?
>>
bump
>>
bump
>>
bump
>>
Maybe you should ask your mom about how my thrombic fills the space between her isotittie.
>>
bump
>>
bump
>>
>>16264456
No.
Source? Divine intuition
>>
Yes, any object is space filling.
What makes space filling curves special is that they're 1d, anything higher than 1d can obviously fill space by making it arbitrarily large.
>>
>>16266308
Wrong: https://mathworld.wolfram.com/Space-FillingPolyhedron.html
>>
bump
>>
bump
>>
bump
>>
bump
>>
bump
>>
>>16264456
Here's one in 4-dimensions.
disphenoidal 288-cell
>>
SAFE SPACE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBvPIAWB_t0
>>
>>16264466
>Telephasic Workshop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he8fMUmxHOU
>>
bump
>>
It's huge
>>
bump
>>
bump
>>
bump
>>
bump
>>
bump
>>
bump
>>
bump
>>
bump
>>
bump
>>
bump
>>
bump
>>
bump
>>
bump
>>
>>16264456
Our math isn't advanced enough to answer this question
>>
>>16264466
Tesseracts have quadrilateral faces, moron
>>
>>16280310
Maybe it's a 4D icosahedron?
>>
>>16280327
I bumped this thread twice because I find it interesting, and nobody has made any interesting posts yet.
>>
>>16280595
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/24-cell
>>
File: SMT2_YHWH.jpg (17 KB, 228x316)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>16280327
bump
>>
>>16282677
Ehm
>>
I'll just analyze the obvious way to try to do it: join edges of the same length together. In order for this to work, at each edge the angle between the two faces that meet there must be [math]2\pi/n[/math] for some [math]n \geq 3[/math]. So let's try to calculate the angles between the faces.

Line the x, y, and z axes up with the rotational axes of symmetry of the disphenoid, and let <a,b,c> be a normal vector to one of the faces. Then <a,-b,-c>, <-a,b,-c>, and <-a,-b,c> are normal vectors to the other faces. The possible angles between the normal vectors are [math]\cos^{-1}\left(\frac{a^2-b^2-c^2}{a^2+b^2+c^2}\right)[/math], [math]\cos^{-1}\left(\frac{-a^2+b^2-c^2}{a^2+b^2+c^2}\right)[/math], and [math]\cos^{-1}\left(\frac{-a^2-b^2+c^2}{a^2+b^2+c^2}\right)[/math], and the angles between the faces are the supplements of these angles. We obtain the result

[math]\cos(\alpha) + \cos(\beta) + \cos(\gamma) = 1[/math]

where [math]\alpha[/math], [math]\beta[/math], and [math]\gamma[/math] are the angles between faces, each of which occurs at two opposite edges.

Now we just search for angles of the form [math]2\pi/n[/math] ([math]n \geq 3[/math]) that satisfy this equation. There is exactly one solution,
[math]\cos(2\pi/4) + \cos(2\pi/6) + \cos(2\pi/6) = 1[/math].
But this would give us a tetragonal disphenoid rather than a rhombic one.

I don't know whether or not there might be a more clever way of doing it that bypasses this issue.
>>
>>16283261
So that's a no, then?
>>
>>16283717
No under the stated assumption. I would guess it's no in general, but I don't have a proof of that.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.