[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • Use with [math] tags for inline and [eqn] tags for block equations.
  • Right-click equations to view the source.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: file.png (69 KB, 1100x340)
69 KB
69 KB PNG
There's literally no point to doing science after the 60s , all that was left was for manufacturing and engineering to catch up to the theoretical frameworks.
There's nothing new under the sun, we're just publishing more and more bullshit.

This is very important because if we finally realize that technology is dead and there's no more progress to be had we can conclude that corporations and silicon valley are stealing our money with R&D and contrived bullshit.
>>
>>16266323
>literally no point to doing science after the 60s
What about superconductivity, nature of gravity, abiogenesis? There is still a lot of unsolved problems in science.
>>
File: singularity.jpg (1.86 MB, 1300x7815)
1.86 MB
1.86 MB JPG
>>16266323
Then why has processing power continued to grow so significantly, why are there so many benchmarks on this list that need to be researched and developed, and why do you people cry about how robots are taking your job one day, then say there is no more progress the next?
>>
>>16267274
>processing power continued to grow so significantly
no it hasn't. 20 years ago a low end laptop could run a web browser, but if you opened too many tabs the machine would bog down usually at around a couple dozen or so and today the same is true
>>
>>16266323
I’m starting to think there is a coordinated effort to ruin this board with absolutely brainless posts like this.
>>
>>16268488
Modern web browsers are processing way more information, the more the processing power grows, the more bullshit they add to take advantage of it, even so web browsers are still much faster and can load far more tabs than 20 years ago.
>>
>>16268538
*And graphic designers and influencers and day traders and scientists and farmers and AI hobbyists and drone operators and robotics people and logistics firms and so on and so on
>>
>>16268569
Not in 10 years. No increase in computation in the last 10 years have helped these fields in any meaningful, they all got worse performance.

We can stop all research in improving computation now and the world would be no worse for it, no one needs better computers.
>>
>>16268574
Sure, all the stability and openAI progress in the last couple of years didn't happen.

>no one needs better computers.
*except all the people making the things in >>16267274 and all the other research you are entirely too ignorant to know about
>>
>>16268574
But I need to calculate extremely complex cryptographic hash functions because I'm a useles bum whose only contribution to society is wasting elictriciy on calculating hash assets.

What do you man banks and global shipping were working fine in 2014? The intel I9-4xx Is 10 times more powerful than the intel I9-3xxx which is why Banks are now performing at 10x the efficiency and global shipping has become 10x cheaper than 2014.

Also look at all the improvement In C.G.I in movies that more computing power has allowed. The C.G.I in those avenger movies is awesome!! Thanos greatest villan of all time!
>>
>>16268578
>stability and openAI progress in the last couple
>lol
>AI
>Progress
sophisticated google and Deviant art search engines, what innovation, such value. The world is so much better thanks to all that compute, it's totally not going to waste.
>>
>>16268581
>sophisticated google and Deviant art search engines,
Just fancy dewey decimal systems, what a leap, so important, your ignorance has been cured, you totally don't just lie and bullshit despite having immediate access to all the world's information where everyone knows for a fact you are just completely full of shit every time you post.
>>
>>16268584
That's all they are retard. Udio, Midjourney and all those bullshit tool are just toys for a few loser tech bros, no lifers.
They've made 0 impact on society at large besides putting artists outta work. Retard, literally no one needs more compute and none of the compute gains of the last 10 years have helped anything in society get better.
>>
>>16268588
>That's all they are retard.
The sophisticated part is not possible without the additional computation, dipshit. Nothing will ever be better for you because you are too ignorant to make proper use of the tools at your disposal, you might as well be a dog watching people build society around you and failing to understand the changes being inflicted on you.
>>
>>16268594
Lmao what a loser. what part of this you don't get?

>Udio, Midjourney and all those bullshit tool are just toys for a few loser tech bros, no lifers.

Congratulations you generate images of anime girls and masturbate to them, what benefit did the rest of us actual intelligent well adjusted members of society get out of computation gains? zero, nada!

>We can stop all research in improving computation now and the world would be no worse for it

This is a fact.
>>
>>16268580
kek
>>
>>16268599
Obviously you are too retarded to ever start a business or develop a product so its no wonder you don't understand the value or cheap quick graphic design, but that doesn't mean everyone else is as stupid and useless as you.

It would be no better either and we would never get all the other stuff quicker computation will enable and the world would slow down to match your retarded stagnating shortsighted ignorance.
>>
>>16268599
NTA but you're genuinely retarded. Just about every piece of communications and control technology in the last 30 years would not be possible without the continuous advancement in computing power.

This has also impacted the very fundamentals of how we approach many of these disciplines. For example, in target tracking the assumption is almost always that your measurements have additive white noise Gaussian distortions. This assumption is not something that actually is meaningful relative to the physics/mathematics of the measurements, but is done because of the linearity properties of Gaussians making them easy to compute with low memory resources.

Now that we have better and better computers we can actually model these more sophisticated distributions in ways that are tractable. Sure, some of this theoretical setup was done 30 years ago, but none of the sophisticated details were able to be determined because we simply didn't have the computing power to handle that kind of signal processing at scale. This impacts everything from missile defense to indoor robotics to air traffic control and is something that has only been possible with the recent advances in computational power.
>>
>>16268605
>Just about every piece of communications and control technology in the last 30 years would not be possible without the continuous advancement in computing power.

All of Communication technology was nearly perfect 10 years ago. No one needed more.

>missile defense
The Javelin being used in Ukraine is from the 90s
>indoor robotics
gimmicky bullshit, no one well adjusted has robots in their home. You're one of those retarded IoT people that thinks lamps should be connected to the internet.

> air traffic control
Air traffic control was working fine 10 years ago.
>>
>>16268608
You don't know any well adjusted people and you just don't clean your room or mow your lawn, meanwhile nearly all farming now is done with robot tractors thanks to computation progress.
>>
>>16266323
>there’s nothing new
This is just proof you people infesting /sci/ aren’t in the sciences at all. Of course you think nothing new has happened because you literally aren’t even in a science to know what’s going on.
>>
>>16268618
>tractors did not exist 10 years ago
>we needed more compute for tractors.
>>
>>16268622
Tractors weren't nearly all automated 10 years ago, we need more computing power to make smart tractors more autonomous and efficient, so we continue to get more yield for less investment.
>>
>>16268625
Just conceded, you have no argument, this level of retardation is laughable.
No more compute was need since 2014. If your automated tractor can't run on 4 1080Ti , you need to write better code loser.
>>
>>16268629
It not about one tractor, dipshit, its about having the computing power to bring many many tractors online, so they aren't as expensive or even having enough computing power to completely change how a field is arranged and make it more like a factory where various machinery is constantly moving about doing its job according to how they are programmed with very little human labor needed.
>>
>>16268632
So all the use of more computing is for this paradigm shift in farming that's coming in just 2 more weeks trust me bro!
Meanwhile farmers be using the same tractor for 30 years, I'm sure they will just switch to your automated fleet solution, Techbro Stalin!

I'm sure all the thousands of tractors currently being made with the intent of a huma driving them and all the more thousands made in the last 10 years are useless, all those supply chains and people managing them are stupid.
>>
>>16268634
Its already here, most tractors are already automated, tractor manufacturers like John Deere have already pissed off the customers for refusing to support the legacy stuff and forcing them to upgrade and making it hard to repair old stuff, but you have no idea how it affects your because most of their customers aren't some mom and pop farmer who will bitch about it to you, but some multinational corporation that will just raise the cost of goods to account for the upgraded equipment and new computing infrastructure.
>>
>>16268629
I thought it was since the 60s where nothing needed to be done, now you’re saying 2014, you’re actually just a fucking brainlet who’s too stupid to know what he’s talking about
>>
>>16268638
I am not OP. My point is that no improvement to computing have been needed in the last 10 years as there's not functionality to justify it.
>>
>>16268637
gaslighting, spreading misinformation.

Yeah all these automated farms that require no human intervention, they exist in your mind. And meanwhile in reality thousands of non autonomous tractors on the market.

I'm sure it's soo much more than just a novelty gimmick, like Waymo that's gonna take over any minute now.
>>
>>16268639
Starlink or do you think that is just 2 weeks away too instead of a massive utility that been developed in the last 5 years thanks to expanded computing capabilities?
>>
>>16268646
I don't use Starlink, no one I know uses Starlink. It's a gimmick.
>>
>>16268644
>Yeah all these automated farms that require no human intervention, they exist in your mind.
Conflating. Automated tractors are the norm and it has massively reduced the amount of human labor, I didn't say no intervention farms were the norm, but automated tractors that run on GPS are the norm.

Tesla is a major market force, invoking some failed competitor doesn't actually make the technology stop existing.
>>
>>16268639
Our problems have always expanded to match our computational power. We’re actually urgently in need of better handling of memory right now rather than just more flops.
>>
>>16268648
>durr if I don't know something nobody does
This is your entire argument in a nutshell, because you are personally an ignorant retard who doesn't understand technology, technology isn't useful to anyone despite all the people who are better adjusted than you successfully using the technology.
>>
>>16268651
>Automated tractors are the norm and it has massively reduced the amount of human labor
Prove it.
>Tesla is a major market force
lol

>>16268652
>Our problems have always expanded to match our computational power.

Fallacy. We don't have any problems right now that require us to improve compute.

>>16268654
Starlink is literally a gimmick. No one would care if it wasn't an Elon Musk project.
>>
>>16268655
If you don’t know of any massive scale computational problems then you’re just not in any relevant field and therefore shouldn’t give your uninformed opinions.
>>
>>16268659
>Just give me the funds goy! I promise my work is important!! what problem does it solve?!! oy vey that's a very antisemitic thing to ask!
>>
>>16268662
Computational biology for one. Compute power is a huge bottleneck. There’s no point in carrying on a discussion about an issue you obviously aren’t even aware of. You have nothing of value to say given you didn’t even know the problem exists until ten seconds ago.
>>
>>16268655
Nothing can be proven to some ignorant retard with their head buried in the sand who will just call everything a gimmick and try to downplay it as just a sophistical version of something else, the is literally an infographic >>16267274 that lists a bunch of problems that could be solved with better computation and you are just going to sit here and pretend like boston dynamics hasn't made great strides in robotics over the last decade with crazy dogs and humanoids thanks to cheaper computation.
>>
>>16268655
Do you have any proofs for your claims? After all you’re the one arguing that all progress from 10 years ago up to now are all but a gimmick.

All you’ve been saying are just utter rubbish all from your resistance to change and failure to comprehend anything. Unless you’ve been hiding information that our feeble brains can’t comprehend kek.
>>
>>16268666
Ignore it anon, the mods encourage this shit. There’s a clear effort to kill the board so it’s better to just move somewhere else where retards actually get off topic bullshit removed.
>>
>>16268666
>>16268667
Chatgpt, Udio, Generative AI and all things AI and Starlink are gimmicks. This is obvious to anyone whose honest.
>>
>>16268668
I feel like ignoring it just makes them feel validated as if their retarded shit is logically unassailable rather than laughably retarded when they need to know how retarded what they are saying is and how it all stems from deep ignorance and refusal to actually engage with the world around them rather than any rational outlook on life that has any merit or value.
>>
>>16268669
Holy shit retard that’s hardly any proof at all. expected from a ignorant brainlet who clearly gets his information from what is trending nowadays
>>
>>16268669
>Yea man so are online forums and ordering supplies from the internet are gimmicks, its just a sophisticate version of conversations and shopping, it will never catch on and nobody will ever use it because I am too retarded to understand how a cart works unless there is an actual physical shopping cart in front of me so it just seems like a gimmick.
>>
>>16268674
>Yea man so are online forums and ordering supplies from the internet are gimmicks, its just a sophisticate version of conversations and shopping

That's correct though. I still buy all my groceries and electronics from physical stores.
>>
>>16268672
Do you use Starlink?
>>
>>16268670
Mods literally gave me a ban for pushing back too hard against it, this isn’t something that’s going to be reversed by anons, that’s why I’m saying it’s intentional that the board is this way.
Many are likely not even humans posting anymore.
>>
>>16268678
>I can't engage with arguments that go against my worldview. Save me Elon!! Save me Sam Altman!!!
>>
>>16268676
>because I am too retarded to understand how a cart works unless there is an actual physical shopping cart in front of me so it just seems like a gimmick.
You think everyone else does that, how do you think the physical stores order all those items, do you think the manager goes into an even bigger more well stocked store and puts them in a giant shopping cart instead of using some computer platform to manage their inventory and order what they need online?
>>
>>16268677
Have you done any research at all other than spouting starlink and AI as “proof” to any of your claims?

And no.
>>
>>16268639
>what is SLAM for 500
>>
>>16268683
I've seen all the hyped bullshit from silicon valley. IoT, blockcahin, Big Data, web3 I've now become really good at smelling tech snake oil.
>>
>>16268684
Simultinous localisation and mappin. Hector Slam ...ect Impelmented it in ROS. It's a gimmick
>>
>>16268685
Yet all your well adjusted relatives have alexas, roombas, ring door bells, smart fridges, and some crypto in their investment portfolios while you rely on a webstite that deals in big data and is protected by web3 applications like cloudflare to protect that data to bitch about how you don't understand technology.
>>
>>16268681
>using some computer platform to manage their inventory and order what they need online?

And what level of computer and telecommunication infrastructure/technology do they need to do this? what compute power? 2009?
They could do it with 80s level and it provides more jobs to people checking inventories and whatnot.
>>
>>16268679
You’ve provided no evidence for anything you’ve said. Another anon mentioned computational biology as still having requiring huge computing power and you basically tapped out like a bitch. You’re just too dumb for anyone to waste time with so I advise other people not to bother. Go chat with other retards if you want, I don’t care if you want to sit around and cry about how everything’s fake with the other guys who never achieved anything.
>>
>>16268691
>alexas, roombas, ring door bells, smart fridges, and some crypto
No literally no one I know has any of this gimmicky bullshit,
>smart fridge
lol
>>
>>16268694
Do you use Starlink? there's your proof. Biology is out of my are of expertise so I don't talk about but I know them motherfucker's scrambling, that Al-zheimer paper got retracted and none of the computer bullshit helped do anything beyond make bullshit placebo covid vaxxines.
So I'm stll waiting on any interesting results. Most labs are probably using Lenovo computers from 2014.
>>
>>16268687
>used in massive amount of infrastructure projects for planning, monitoring and data collection
>Hector Slam
lmao, have fun using that one in a dynamic environment
>>
>>16268698
>used in massive amount of infrastructure projects for planning, monitoring and data collection

Yes Yes those massive projects that you plan so good they come delayed and overbudget and worse than they did it in the 60s.
All your fancy numerical methods to compute bullshit, don't solve traffic and don't solve anything.
And all of it was working fine with 2014 computing anyway. We still can't predict whether and C.G somehow looks worse.
>>
>>16266323
kek
I worked on updating a lot of the old 60s and 70s frameworks for scientific computing in my field and this is so delusionally stupid
In the 60s, a “large matrix computation” was something like a dense 200 by 200 matrix lol. The idea there was no point to advancing our ideas beyond that is so stupid we’d never have even got to the Bronze Age by listening to you morons.
>>
>>16268697
>out of my area of expertise so I don’t talk about it
>immediately makes a bunch of wrong assertions about it
>>
>>16268701
can't speak for everything obviously, but the projects we are working on have no comparison when looking that far back, simple as, not when it comes to size or complexity
>C.G.
if this is what it is all about for you, why are you on /sci/? seems /tv/ would be more your speed
and even they know the quality (or lack thereof) is all about industry working standards and not the actual technology involved
>>
>>16268692
>and it provides more jobs to people checking inventories and whatnot.
I accept your concession, the computation clearly does save on human labor, you just don't understand modern software and would rather physically touch everything yourself and bag groceries forever than learn a new software platform that could say you considerable time and effort and allow you make much more with much less work.
>>
>>16268710
>, the computation clearly does save on human labor,
no more than it did in 2014
>>
>>16268707
>not when it comes to size or complexity

Is that what they tell you in your indoctrination to the company as a a little golem who just works his excel spreadsheet and has no idea how any of this works?
All those meetings you do in your little ministry of truth where they tell how big and complex the project is and how it was a team effort and how sustainable it is, we need to get the world sustainable in there, it's really trendy.

No, Projects in 1974 (the 747) were just as complex and they came in budget and on time, they were worked on by geniuses that didn't use more compute than they needed, not modern neoliberal golems like you with a degree.
>>
>>16268701
>C.G somehow looks worse.
You don't even understand the burden of calculation that has intensely shifted to modern computers actually procedural generating graphics in near real time compared to the traditional way where an army of nerds spent months using tools to set up a render of a heavily composed three dimensional scene.
>>
>>16268702
NLA is actually one of the few fields that saw great development up till the late 90s.

Everywhere else in science is just people publishing bullshit and pretending they are adding novel things to what was said in the 60s (they are not).
>>
>>16268724
The heavily automated gigafactories built since 2014 have significantly reduced the necessary human labor needed for automobile manufacturing which plays a part in why so many tariffs and subsidies are needed to keep legacy car manufacturers afloat.
>>
File: Fig1.png (23 KB, 977x704)
23 KB
23 KB PNG
>>16268729
Prove factories are any more automated than they were in 2014?

The general downward trend is due to manufacturing jobs leaving to China.
>>
>>16268728
It’s not just until the 90s, we continue to make progress today so I find myself unable to believe such sweeping claims
>>
>>16268740
Bro most things don't need more than LAPACK, if you must go deep CUDA came out in 2006. We've definitely hit diminishing returns on what we can get out of NLA both in theory and application.
>>
>>16268734
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTzt1l2sltU
This factory did not exist in 2014, show a factory with similar level of automation from before, the whole claim with these gigafactories is the move to automation with claims of 95% i some factories leading to an exponential increase in output. https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-giga-shanghai-automation-production-cycle/
>>
>>16268746
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blW-Fa4a10g
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKtImxDYl_k
>>
>>16268741
Things may be slower than compared to the 70s but saying there’s stagnation is outright wrong.
>>
>>16268767
It's worse than stagnation, it's hit the forking pint where standards start to compete just like Java frameworks.
>>
>>16268758
Which factory is that from the 90s and how many cars did it produce per year versus the million per year in the source for the shanghai production cycle?
>>
>>16268769
Ok so you’re not in the field.
I agree with the other anons saying you have zero knowledge of what you’re on about.
>>
People shouldn't respond to retards who can't even speak english properly
>>
>>16268772
It's GM, one of the biggest car manufacturers in the world. I'm sure they produced millions of cars. These automated factories are not new.
>>
>>16268785
>These automated factories are not new.
The claim wasn't that they were new, it that they have had more of a market share as computation has increased and gm may have produced millions of cars, but they weren't serving a country of billions and its new for china to have such a large portion of their population owning cars.
>>
>>16268795
Tesla is not serving billions either. It's a luxury car company.
>>
>>16268774
I follow it as best befits a layman, I know a couple words. Strassen, Algorithmic complexity, LPACK.

>Along the way, the theoretical motivation has overtaken real improvements. “After the 1970s, matrix multiplication algorithms became galactic,” warns Pernet. In other words, these algorithms are now so complex that they reduce the computation time only for matrices that are so gigantic that all of the computers on Earth would not be enough to store them. In practice, they are never used to multiply two matrices, even those with thousands of rows and columns. However, just because the result is not used does not mean that it is not of interest. “This research provides answers to fundamental questions, and calls for implementing new techniques,” Peyré concludes. This race among theorists could indeed result in algorithms that are both faster and usable in concrete applications.
>>
>>16268797
Tesla is not the only one with automated factories, the global demands for cars at every level of the spectrum is much higher than in the 90s.
>>
lol at the zoomers who are impressed by robotic arms, ambient music and rgb lights.
It's 80's tech. Commonplace in the 90's, and trivial in the 00's.
>>
>>16268802
>I know a couple words
That's not enough to actually say things that make any sense.
These issues you're talking about aren't the main issue. And there's another critical issue which you seem to have missed entirely: The fact that we used to consider a 200 x 200 matrix large in the 70s whereas now we consider something large to be something like 10^6 x 10^6 or 10^7 x 10^7 at least actually has little to do with theoretical advancements in NLA.
It's actually because if you look at our processing power, it went up by a factor of about 10^9 in 30 years or so, and since matrix multiplication is O(n^3) we saw our idea of "large" go up by a factor of 10^3.
There were significant advancements in NLA, yes, but the point is that this has almost nothing to do with my original post anyway, which makes me wonder why you're making claims about a field you readily admit you know almost nothing about, and you quote something which has nothing to do with why we can handle large computations better now than in the past.
>>
>>16266323
>There's literally no point to doing science after the 60s
The copes atheists must come to when all the science proves their mythology of the big bang and abiogenesis and evolutionism impossible...

>all that was left was for manufacturing and engineering to catch up to the theoretical frameworks.
>theoretical frameworks
Pseud.
>>
>>16266323
Link to a video where this comment is from?
>>
>>16268957
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQhAbwW9-7Q
>>
>>16266323
>we can conclude that corporations and silicon valley are stealing our money with R&D and contrived bullshit
R&D is literally the engineering that catches up to theoretical frameworks, particularly the development part (which is most of R&D). The research part is, as you say, reading through academic works already published.
>>
>>16269265
>The research part is, as you say, reading through academic works already published.
imagine some massive corporation is investing vast sums of money on development work based on some p-hacked irreproducible academic trash article
>>
>>16266323
i am so demoralized now.
>>
>>16268504
This is the first time I've felt a sense of loss from the decline of an internet board. I used to visit this place to feel dumb compared to the other posters. Now, this forum only boosts my ego.
>>
>>16266352
>nature of gravity
Is that a serious thing or just a meme?
Isn't gravity just a brute fact? Are you gonna look for something more fundamental to explain it? Like what? Gravitons or some other magical quantum bullshit?
>>
>>16267274
Your midwit brainlet predictions don't take the death of the moore's law into account. It is going to die in a few years. After that the computation power will increase only at a tiny rate unless a breakthrough happens.
>>
>>16270046
I used to come here to chat about a subject I enjoyed and was good at with people who were at least somewhat similar to me. Now that's completely ruined. The people here are morons and I absolutely despise them.
>>
>>16266323
Retard take.
>>16268574
You need a one way ticket to Guantanamo.
>>
>>16266323
>meme fabricated by chink intel agent
>>
>>16270138
ASML is going to send a death squad to your house and accurately rape your dysgenic subhuman brainstem with directed beam x-ray lithography at the monoatomic level
>>
Yes, tovarishch we must cease all our R&D immediately! Those bastards!!!!)))
>>
>>16271604
go to >>>/pol/ if you want to discuss political ideologies
>>
>>16270142
>I hate /sci/
goodbye, you won't be missed.
>>
>>16273695
I miss people who enjoy talking about science and are knowledgeable.
I wouldn't miss every off-topic spammer and retard who wants to talk about how "science is fake" getting permabanned. The board would improve significantly.
>>
>>16266323
>There's literally no point to doing science after the 60s
There's literally no point in reading any further after that sentence.
>>
>>16268644
>Yeah all these automated farms that require no human intervention,

The danger to the world of theorists and academics (and midwits) in one post.
>>
>>16273873
>I didn't even read the reply.
Are you the same person who thinks that someone claiming bots exist on internet forums to push propaganda that used to be pushed by people must be arguing that every post on the internet is a bot post?
>>
>>16273877
bot post
>>
>>16273755
the whole point of science is figuring out which parts of generally accepted scientific narratives are wrong. if you want a website that going to censor anyone who doesn't regurgitate your memorized textbook narratives you will enjoy reddit.
goodbye, you won't be missed, you never contributed anything here anyone here wanted to see, all you do is moan and complain like an entitled little bitch.
>>
>>16275546
OP hasn't figured anything out though, they are clearly just a naive retard who is misrepresenting reality with a retarded everything has already been invented mindset.
>>
>>16275546
https://youtu.be/ZUp9x44N3uE?si=gUSndqzUggrWlLEq&t=785
>>
>>16266352
>abiogenesis
been proved mathematically to be impossible.
>>
>>16270076
You talk like a fag and your shit's all retarded
>>
>>16276855
No, mathematically it is completely necessary, 0!=100%, everything from nothing.
>>
Why are there so many blatant demoralization threads?
>inb4 chris elliot.jpg
>>
>>16268504
The entire internet has gone to complete shit, this board and site is no exception.
>>
>>16276949
>>16276948
>>16275627
>>16273755
Idiots. You miss going here to talk to undergraduate about the Fourier transform and undergrad bullshit and popsci bullshit about the singularity.
OP is unironically 5 decades ahead of you. Stagnation in science and technology is a very high I.Q take.
>>
>>16266352
>>What about superconductivity, nature of gravity, abiogenesis? There is still a lot of unsolved problems in science.
and and tyron ans shaquina are working on it
>>
>>16267274
IT has been stagnating ever since dore2duo
>>
>>16268605
>a better calculator will make my left better, even though calculators have been used over the last 80 years and made people neurotic
>>
>>16275546
Feyman was the usual jew addicted to sex, and like any jew he never care for truth
>>
>>16278440
somehow or other web browsers eat up 1000x more processing power than they did 20 years ago while delivering a substantially worse quality of content, how did science manage to pull that one off?
>>
>>16276855
>and yet, it happened
You're doing the academic equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears and going "lalalalalalalala I'm not listening".
>>
>>16266323
> the end of history fallacy
Fuck off.
>>
>>16280710
>fallacy
not an argument.
>>
>>16280301
it didn't happen
>>
>>16279870
javascript
>>
File: 1718675361763585.png (73 KB, 1496x1182)
73 KB
73 KB PNG
>>16266323
Money is fake, no one can steal something which is completely made up
>>
>>16268726
The biosphere is more polluted so it requires more compute to accomplish the same task because pollution causes brain damage. True story
>>
>>16280896
they had javascript in the 90s, don't you remember the status bar scrolls?
>>
>>16268797
>It's a luxury car company.
it isn't, people own their cars for virtue signaling, not for the enjoyment of owning a high quality vehicle. there is nothing luxurious about waiting around for 3 hours for your vehicle to refuel.
>>
>>16283231
Blowing that kind of money just to virtue signal is still a luxury.

>there is nothing luxurious about waiting around for 3 hours for your vehicle to refuel.
There is if you do it at a high end spa getting dapper and pampered while eating exotic fruit and confectioneries sprinkled in gold leaf for 3 full hours.
>>
>>16268726
Boeing hasn't started work on a new airliner project in over 20 years, they don't have what it takes to do it anymore, regardless having infinite computing power available.
>>
>>16266323
This is in many cases simply a funding issue. If you want technology to progress all you need to do is pay more money and get it to the right people.
>>
>>16284612
you think its that simple because you've never participated in any successful projects of the type in your life
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect
>>
>>16286166
...Hey, sometimes the issues *are* simple. I believe there's a latent availability of people with good ideas.
>>
>>16286365
Sure and the one thing we are missing is more symbolic pieces of paper that we could simply print more of at any time.
>>
>>16286426
You're absolutely right. There are people who are career researchers, and there are people who have a specific idea. The majority of people in science careers do just fill in a lot of details rather than aim to deliver technological progress. We absolutely need more symbolic pieces of paper, but the ones that are needed are slow to come, and it's often because they just aren't being funded.
>>
>>16286578
Sure that must be it, the problem has nothing to do with actual limited resources and experience, we simply don't put large enough numbers on the symbolic paper we could easily just print more of or substitute with monopoly money or handwritten bit of paper or even just digital clicks in a computer database.
>>
>>16286736
Right, I thought you meant academic papers, but you meant money. In that case, yeah, who has the money does make the difference. You must be one of those Diogenes types, then. I see.
>>
>>16286848
>Right, I thought you meant academic papers,
You probably get confused alot since you are the type of retard who thinks funding is the problem rather than resources and competency.
>>
>>16286880
> It's not about the total amount of funding. It's about getting it to the people who can put it to use, so that they can afford the resources that they need.
I think we agree here, broadly.
>>
>>16270046
>>16270076
Stop the larp faggots
This board was never good
Show me one good thread from the archives
>>
>>16286920
No, funding doesn't create resources or distribute them more more efficiently, if anything, excess funding just creates more opportunity for waste, more bureaucratic overhead, and generally ensures that less competent people start crowding into the space looking for a payday instead of people genuinely interested in the subject looking to solve the problems.
>>
>>16286945
In general, I'm in favour of paying fewer people more money to work on longer projects, with few authored papers, with job security for about 5 years and then hardly any after that. I think we should be able to post anonymous comments online about every project, and just mercilessly bully anyone who accepts this kind of funding, so it will be obvious by one year after the 5 years whether they should be given any more chances.
>>
File: peer review.jpg (234 KB, 1024x1019)
234 KB
234 KB JPG
>>16286945
>and generally ensures that less competent people start crowding into the space looking for a payday instead of people genuinely interested in the subject looking to solve the problems.
>>
File: 1689889805195498.jpg (232 KB, 1024x1019)
232 KB
232 KB JPG
>>16288094
>>
>>16281991
only true oldfags of the internet recall those
>>
>>16290555
I was on usenet in the days before the existence of http forums
r8
>>
>>16291794
ye olde/10
>>
>>16280301
it didn't happen, it has been proved to have been impossible and no similar process can be recreated in a lab
>>
>>16294375
>it has been proved to have been impossible
[citation needed]
>>
>>16291794
Do you agree that internet was much better to discuss things then than now? Also, what are your thoughts on 4chan in the old days (let's say pre-2010, I started to browse it in 2013) compared to it now?
>>
>>16294387
Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences Volume 93, Number 19, pp. 10268-10273
>>
>>16295633
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC38373/
That just says that the organism with the smallest known number of genes doesn't have the smallest possible number of genes, which page are you seeing the word impossible on?
>>
>>16294427
4chan was good until about late 2006 when college kids found out about it and its been all downhill from there
>>
>>16296850
They found out from watching CNN during the Jake Brahm incident

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.