[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • Use with [math] tags for inline and [eqn] tags for block equations.
  • Right-click equations to view the source.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Screen Shot 2024-07-13.png (189 KB, 1141x956)
189 KB
189 KB PNG
Wouldn't it be completely expected and normal to see polar ice sheets shrinking during an interglacial period?
>>
obviously
>>
>>16280746
Generally no. Glaciers are only stable when the climate is stable. Also that implies the glacier melt isnt going to accelerate in the coming years, which it probably will. Exactly when the glaciers will be gone ut anybody's guess though.
>>
>>16280746
Also he said 30 million TONNES, not tons (Amerishart moment), so the math is wrong. Multiply 262.8 billion by about 1.1 an you get the real answer (again, assuming it's not going to accelerate)
>>
>>16281970
I am not going to dig it out again, last time I did it by following the links from Wikipedia, but the estimated mass change of the Greenland ice mass is smaller than the measurement error. in other words it may be growing for all we know.
>probably
your hope for an 'I told you so' moment is disgusting.
>>
>>16282228
>it may be growing
it definitely is
>>
>>16283313
Right, but we're not really in an interglacial period currently, we're in the transition period between an interglacial period and an ice age.
>>
>>16282228
ice sheet mass estimates are extremely low quality, notoriously so
>>
>>16286105
That would make it extremely easy to lie about "oy vey the world is coming to an end because muh ice sheets are melting"
>>
>>16281970
I remember going to Glacier National Park in the US and they had a sign saying the glaciers would be gone by 2020. They are still there.
>>
>>16281970
>when the climate is stable
No such thing as a stable climate, familiarize yourself with the concept of dynamic stability, the climate has never been stable.
>>
>>16288916
>dynamic stability
thats stable tho
>>
>>16288916
On long time periods the climate changes. On short time periods the climate is stable and glaciers don't change unless the planet is seriously out of equilibrium.

As in billions of tons of ice shouldn't be melting each year. Ice caps of "normal" levels of oscillation.
>>
>>16290090
Thats completely wrong, interglacial periods are relatively brief and polar ice needs to decile rapidly during them otherwise all of the planet's water would eventually be locked up in the polar ice caps.
Over 100,000 years of polar ice accumulation needs to disappear during a 10,000 year long interglacial period for the world to have ended up as we currently see it.
>>
>>16290093
Your post has absolutely nothing to do with what I said.
>>
>>16280746
Yes, but not at this current rate
>>
>>16290167
wrong, the current rate is pretty much exactly the expected rate for an interglacial period
>>
>>16291206
>the current rate is pretty much exactly the expected rate for an interglacial period
sauce, because that is counter to everything I'ver read and heard about it.
>>
>>16292503
>Greenland's has a net gain in mass
sauce, because that too is counter to everything I'ver read and heard about it.
>>
File: mindcuck'd.png (687 KB, 1080x939)
687 KB
687 KB PNG
>>16292508
>i only read CNN propaganda
>i never read actual scientific articles
>thats why i consider myself an expert in science
>>
File: no, you.png (307 KB, 400x600)
307 KB
307 KB PNG
>>16293985
Anon, this isn't about me, it's about what you're claiming. The burden of proof is on you.
>>
>>16290090
>glaciers don't change
they constantly change, they are a lagging indicator of the climate
>>
>>16280746
yes, obviously
>>
>>16295136
Ice that was formed on glaciers during the little ice age over 150 years ago still hasn't completely melted. It'll be over a century before its all gone

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.