[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • Use with [math] tags for inline and [eqn] tags for block equations.
  • Right-click equations to view the source.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: t0.png (437 KB, 1024x1024)
437 KB
437 KB PNG
Previous thread: >>16264745

>what is /sqt/ for?
Questions regarding maths and science. Also homework.
>where do I go for advice?
>>>/sci/scg or >>>/adv/
>where do I go for other questions and requests?
>>>/wsr/ >>>/g/sqt >>>/diy/sqt etc.
>how do I post math symbols (Latex)?
rentry.org/sci-latex-v1
>a plain google search didn't return anything, is there anything else I should try before asking the question here?
scholar.google.com
>where can I search for proofs?
proofwiki.org
>where can I look up if the question has already been asked here?
warosu.org/sci
eientei.xyz/sci
>how do I optimize an image losslessly?
trimage.org
pnggauntlet.com
>how do I find the source of an image?
images.google.com
tineye.com
saucenao.com
iqdb.org

>where can I get:
>books?
libgen.rs
annas-archive.org
stitz-zeager.com
openstax.org
activecalculus.org
>articles?
sci-hub.st
>book recs?
sites.google.com/site/scienceandmathguide
4chan-science.fandom.com/wiki//sci/_Wiki
math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Administrivia/booklist.html
>online courses and lectures?
khanacademy.org
>charts?
imgur.com/a/pHfMGwE
imgur.com/a/ZZDVNk1
>tables, properties and material selection?
www.engineeringtoolbox.com
www.matweb.com
www.chemspider.com

Tips for asking questions here:
>avoid replying to yourself
>ask anonymously
>recheck the Latex before posting
>ignore shitpost replies
>avoid getting into arguments
>do not tell us where is it you came from
>do not mention how [other place] didn't answer your question so you're reposting it here
>if you need to ask for clarification fifteen times in a row, try to make the sequence easy to read through
>I'm not reading your handwriting
>I'm not flipping that sideways picture
>I'm not google translating your spanish
>don't ask to ask
>don't ask for a hint if you want a solution
>xyproblem.info
>>
File: 198.jpg (102 KB, 575x620)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
>>16286745
>>
>>16286753
What do you mean? The science behind AI image generation is clearly related.
>>
>>16286745
Even ai whores are now stuffing their chests to look bigger...
>>
>100 hidden threads
Does /sci/ even have mods?
>>
>>16286779
Nope, /sci/ being a shithole is a decision that comes from the very top.
https://www.vice.com/en/article/m7aap8/the-man-who-helped-turn-4chan-into-the-internets-racist-engine
>In one incident from the chat logs, when a moderator tried to clean up such an “invasion” of the science board, RapeApe wasn’t having it. Rather than delete the thread a janitor described as planning a raid, RapeApe argued that they weren’t doing anything against the rules. “Are they actually vandalising or defacing anything, or harassing people?” RapeApe added: “Because if they're just posting things, that's not really a raid.”
>>
>>16286836
>vice
>>
>>16286853
>Basedgem party
I would vote for you only if you can increase the supply of cute big titty asian girls
>>
I haven't frequented the Sharty since 2021, can somebody explain what's happened since then to lead to this moment?
>>
>>16286885
>board called basedgem.party
just looked at it it's a schizo mess, where are the big titty cute asian girls?
>>
>>16286913
They're all pedos who prefer flat chested girls.
>>
>>16286942
>he thinks that's big
>>
>>16286946
>he
>>
>>16286953
We want the big tiddies.
>>
Janny finally rolled out of bed ate his morning hotpocket and cleaned up?
>>
lmao we are only at page 3, how did you mass ban the faggots and what took you so long
>>
Only three pages worth of threads survived..
>>
I didn't realise that mods could undo thread deletion, kinda cool, saves waiting a weeek for /po/ spam to fill it.
>>
>>16287067
seems like they pulled some from the archive, but at the time i posted, they were like only three pages, i think more than 100 were spam
>>
>>16287073
I had 110 hidden now I have 3.
>>
>>16287078
they have should have been permabanned, now the faggots are saying they will come back in three days
>>
and why were they only spamming sci?
>>
>>16287081
They were saying tomorrow but their whole purpose was to illicit a harsh crackdown on the rules from mods...
>>16287083
https://basedgem.party/qa/res/151245.html

they said that if the tried s4s they'd get shutdown too fast and /b/ would have improved the state of that board
>>
Let [math]T_1 = \begin{pmatrix}1 & 2 & 0\\
0 & 1 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 1
\end{pmatrix}[/math] and [math]T_2 = \begin{pmatrix}1 & 0 & 0\\
2 & 1 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 1
\end{pmatrix}[/math]. Fix [math]\epsilon > 0[/math]. I would like to find a subset [math]A \subset \mathbb{R}^3[/math] whose Lebesgue measure [math]m(A)[/math] is [math]1[/math] and such that [math]m(T_i (A) \triangle A) < \epsilon[/math] for both [math]i=1,2[/math]. Can this be done?

My first idea was to take a thin box that's mostly spread across the Z axis (because [math]e_3[/math] is fixed by both matrices), i.e. something of the form [math][0, \epsilon] \times [0, \epsilon] \times [0, 1/\epsilon^2][/math], but it doesn't work out. Suggestions would be appreciated.
>>
Does the body over-enlarge fat cells in a specific area of the body to compensate for dead/missing fat cells in that area?
Ive recently heard of a procedure called cryolipolysis which freezes fat cells in a small area of the body in order to kill about 25% of them. The effects are apparently permanent so long as you do not gain weight. What im wondering is what exactly happens if you do gain weight since all the sites are vague about it other than implying that it ruins it
>>
>>16287197
Why not just treat this carb sensitivity obesity by only eating meat?
>>
File: inequality.png (7 KB, 501x63)
7 KB
7 KB PNG
does somebody know what this inequality is called or give/link a proof for it?
>>
>>16287296
when you lose weight normally, it only depletes and deflates the fat cells, you do not lose them, they don't even shrink.
which means you gain weight back very fast once you're no longer in a calorie deficit.

>>16287197
>What im wondering is what exactly happens if you do gain weight since all the sites are vague about it other than implying that it ruins it
Then you regrow new fat cells to store the excess again, at the same rate as when you made them from scratch the first time. Which is slower and less efficient than just refilling pre-existing fat cells, and means they have to go through the process of stretching to fit more and more fat as you pack it on, but does still eventually end in you exactly right back where you started.
>>
>>16287316
Looks like Poincaré/Wirtinger inequality.
>>
>https://youtu.be/um3G9DU5I5M?t=55
>Are (((they))) hiding something from us
What did she mean by this?
>>
>>16287327
That's why you combine it with fasting your body autolyses spare cells.
>>
>>16287316
I've never seen it before, but you can prove it for f(x) that are expressible as a Fourier series
[math] f(x) = \sum_n C_n e^{inx} [/math]
Then the inequality is just saying
[math] \sum_n |C_n|^2\leq \sum_{n\neq 0} n^2 |C_n|^2+|C_0|^2 [/math]
which is obviously true since n^2>=1.
>>
>>16287327
Everywhere im looking says that fat cells do shrink but im not sure if they are referring to the volume they take up in the body or if the actual cell membrane gets smaller somehow
Where did you hear that they dont shrink?
>>
>>16287156
Sorry I might be retarded but what does the triangle symbol mean in linear algebra/measure theory?
>>
>>16287680
No worries. It's the symmetric difference of sets, i.e. [math]A \triangle B = (A \setminus B) \cup (B \setminus A)[/math].
>>
>>16287685
Ah, thanks. Symmetric difference is the same as [math]( A \cup B ) \backslash ( A \cap B )[/math], right?
>>
>>16287156
I think the set [math][1,2] \times [1,2] \times [0,1][/math] would satisfy [math]m(T_i(A) \triangle A)=0[/math], but I might be mistaken. Which direction did you intend your inequality to face?
>>
>>16287717
nvm I confused symmetric difference with intersection
>>
>>16287156
You should be able to show that when A is a parallelepiped the overlap is at a minimum some number larger than epsilon like 1/4 but I don't know how to approach this for arbitrary sets.
>>
So I'm trying to run a calc where I have a pile that cantilevers 6 feet out of the ground. 20 kip axial load and no shear load, but we have to put an arbitrarily small number there for our program to work
When I ran it with a 2-7/8th diameter pipe with a0.216" wall thickness it worked but I bumped it up to a 3.5" pipe with a 0.25" wall thickness and it failed on me. Both are using the same steel
Is there any reason that makes sense mathematically or is the program I'm using just fucked when I use small values
>>
>>16287156
>something of the form...
>doesn't work out
wym? Why not? If we're ignoring z, a square of dimension c x c transforms to some parallelogram of that looks like a c x 3c rectangle minus two c x 2c triangles subtracted from it. Area of the symmetric diff is like c^2 + c^2 - c^2/4
>>
>>16287852
NTA but the measure of the symmetric difference does not approach zero because the measure of the initial set is fixed at 1. In the example set given from the cartesian product, the first two dimensions are only small because the third dimension is very large. Those c^2 terms will all cancel to give a constant.
>>
>>16287375
wow cool thank you. that's just what I needed
>>
A black hole gets trillions of years to emit Hawking radiation and lose mass. Why does it evaporate fully and not at some point decrease to a mass such that any "internal" pushing forces beat out gravity so that what's left is a dead star? Why is it staying at an infinitesimally small point?
>>
Is geoscience a real major or just fake and gay?
>>
>>16287869
Okay, does any of this shit you're talking affect any human living?
Does it affect even the first space colonies on Mars that may exist beyond very basic experiments containing less than 1000 humans in a hundred years?
If not, who the fuck cares about your dumb question?
>>
>>16287869
In Hawking's theory of black hole thermodynamics, the temperature of the event horizon of a stellar mass black hole is already colder than the CMB, so they cannot evaporate until the universe cools down first.
The matter inside a black hole would not have a positive outwards pressure unless there was a force which could interact across the event horizon, and according to the no-hair theorem, only spin and charge could do this. There are mathematically consistent solutions for naked singularities caused by high spin or high charge, but none have been observed and black holes have other physical limits on their angular momentum and charge.
>>
>>16287863
That's only if you make the z = 1/c^2 for the entire square.

If you want to keep a c, make the height z = 1/c instead for the c x c square, except for the inside of a small right triangle of ratio 2:1 whose hypotenuse of c/2 is on the x axis and smallest angle is at the origin.
For this excluded part, make the height as high as you want cause it's part of the intersection that's being excluded
>>
>>16287893
If the height of the excluded region is 1/c, then it cannot cover a region which is higher than 1/c. You might need to draw a diagram.
>>
>>16287898
No the height of the excluded 2:1 small right triangle is however high you need it for the total volume of the 3d shape to equal 1. I don't wanna calculate the area of the small triangle, but the hypotenuse is c/2. In each of the two transformations, this triangle remains in the intersection, which is excluded in the symmetric diff.

Im on phone, can't draw
>>
>>16287903
oh wait fuck, this wont work actually, nvm
>>
Why haven't any of you science fags made robots that can produce offppring without women being involved?
The end of females as a species would save us.
>>
File: end_of_foids.jpg (70 KB, 823x463)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>>16287911
the nerds are way ahead of you
>>
>>16287869
A star can collapse to form a black hole, but a black hole is not just a reversible state of a star such that losing some mass can take it back. A black hole is a high entropy system (in some senses the highest possible) and so you are sort of asking to unscramble an egg in your question
>>
If a paper isn't on sci-hub, is there anywhere else to find it?
I don't mind paying, I just can't find it anywhere.
It's an obscure paper from 1976
>>
>>16288667
It will depend on what the journal was, not all journals have been digitised.
>>
is khan academy a good way to prepare for preclinical med school? i'm from germany, where premed programs aren't required, and i want to ensure i don't get filtered by the natural sciences and math/statistics.
>>
I like to observe birds living in my surroundings (I'm in the city at the moment, but there are ducks and various corvidae near me besides pidgeons or seagulls - I have to say, they are an endless source of entertainment). Recently, I noticed that some birds tend to walk with their beaks slightly open during heatwaves - is this a sign of dehydration or heat stress? If so, is there any way to help these small animals?
>>
>>16288796
It's very US curriculum focused, but if there are specific topics you need to learn or refresh that it covers you could do a lot worse.
>>
>>16288841
It's a sign they are trying to keep cool, for the same reasons dog so a similar thing and pant heavily. Neither animal have sweat glands. If you have a garden a bird bath would help them.
>>
If I wanted to do some sort of home garden/shed scale breeding experiments what would be good species to choose.
I thought insects might be a decent option from a size and generational gap perspective initially but I don't know that much about them are there any that produce multiple generations of offspring?
>>
>>16288865
> breeding experiments
What are you hoping to achieve or observe?
>>
Is getting a PHD in math just life on easy mode? I have a 32 year old friend with a math PHD I met playing CS:GO years ago who has been playing fortnite on a friday afternoon since 11am (it's 2:34 pm now) and he was doing the same thing yesterday and basically does this every week from what I've seen
>t. zoomer about to get my BS in computer science
>>
>>16288891
He also makes $150k per year
>>
>>16288880
I want to compare performance across generations at the same time and subject to the same simultaneous environmental conditions.

offspring of initial pairing vs offspring of second gen selected for trait vs maybe third and fourth gens if possible
>>
>>16288893
>>16288891
Is he a tenure-track professor? Postdocs don't make that much, and working in industry usually involves some accountability
>>
>>16288927
he does research in industry
>>
If we take theories as proposed by researchers such as sheldrake about the effects of morphogenic fields on inheritance of traits how does this complicate inbreeding and outbreeding depression?
>>
Is someone who gets a science related degree purely out of interest based or cringe?
>>
Is /sci/ence worth it? What's the point? Why not do something easier that pays the bills? Why not do something that makes you happy? Why not support those in need one on one?
>>
>>16288990
It's based if you're rich, otherwise it's cringe
>>
>>16287869
I like your question
>>
>>16289017
What if you're able to afford to live regardless of your expenses, but not actually rich. For example, a guy who works a side job but owns his house so his expenses are relatively low?
>>
>>16288796
>khan academy
If it provides what you need, and you can learn from it, it's good for everything. I've only heard it recommended for GED prep, but then I'm a social worker so....
>>
do men and women think differently?
>>
>>16289194
yes
>>
snails, are they all hermaphrodite or do some have defined sexes?
googling is inconclusive
>>
>>16289347
Are you planning to be a snail scientist, boy?
Because if so that's impressive. I wish you luck on learning about nature's strange little Roma.
>>
>>16289370
No, just curious.
>>
>>16288846
>>16289069
thanks.
>>
>>16286745
>I had a green poop today.
I eat alright, workout frequently, drink a lot of water, sleep well, but have been stressed out over the last few months.
>Why did I have a green poop?
>>
>>16289370
apparently these snail guys have been going since the 1876
https://conchsoc.org/
>>
What's the difference between [math]\overrightarrow{VP_{pli}}[/math] and [math]\overrightarrow{P_{pli}V}[/math]?
>>
Best way to learn about environmental science other than getting a degree?
>>
>>16289849
[math] \overrightarrow{VP_{pli}} [/math]
[math] \overrightarrow{P_{pli}V} [/math]
>>
>>16286745
So I got L-Carnitine as supplement, but now I find out acetyled form is much more bioavailable.
Acetic acid apparently can be used for acetylation and vinegar contains some...
Could it be possible to mix them to get Acetyl-L-carnitine or at very least consume both for better result or I'm going to hurt myself badly considering the extra stuff pills may have?
>>
>>16287967
We already had Dolly the Sheep.
Women could actually clone each other if they bothered to.
>>
>>16286745
Could you, in theory, make a life form out of tin, or germanium, or any such non-radioactive element from the carbon group? Say, use Silanes for the "hydrocarbons"?
If not, what's specifically stopping them?
>>
File: pepe-gun-244809239.gif (432 KB, 498x498)
432 KB
432 KB GIF
THAT'S IT! ONE OF YOU FUCKERS TELL ME WHY WAS MY FUCKING POOP GREEN EARLIER TODAY!?
>>
>>16290160
Because you downed a bottle of food dye.
>>
>>16290160
Did you eat lettuce or green ketchup?
>>
File: th-1258601852.jpg (22 KB, 474x439)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
>>16290169
I had shrekchup. Honestly no to either
>>
>>16290044
Lets take silicon as an example, though the reasons also applies to the other - though they also suffer from the problem of abundance, they is so little of those elements compared to silicon and carbon.

Silicon and the others, like carbon, also has four valence electrons. This means they can also make four covalent bonds. For every molecule made out of carbon, there can be an analogous molecule with say silicon in its place. Silicon also happens to be quite abundant on earth. In fact, there is more silicon on earth than carbon. It’s just locked in rocks within the earth’s crust.

The main difference between silicon compared to carbon is that has its unpaired electrons farther away from its nucleus, on its third shell, whereas carbon’s electrons are on its second shell, closer to the nucleus. This makes silicon’s electrons more weakly bound to its nucleus. The consequence of this is that when silicon bonds with other atoms including itself, the bonds formed are weaker, and thus less stable. It's even more extreme if you used the other elements.

So the tl;dr is yes, but carbon is always better in every way.
>>
>>16290044
>>16290205
There are more issues than just molecular stability - one also has to consider the actual compounds involved. These may not be hard limitations, but I'm not sure if it would be possible to balance out all concerns at once without going back to carbon. The two most obvious are how it would breathe and what it would use as a solvent.
For the silicon example, oxygen and water are off of the table immediately - silicon dioxide, being solid up until a little over 1700 degrees Celsius, is not ideal for breathing, and silanes are pyrophoric and hydrolytic anyway. (Though the German Wikipedia article on hexasilane seems to suggest that silanes beyond that chain length stop being pyrophoric themselves, and instead thermally decompose into the pyrophoric ones - so we can't solve the first issue by working at extreme temperatures.)

That's not to say that any issue on its own can't be resolved, but it's entirely likely that whatever solution you come up with will just open another problem elsewhere.
>>
File: Rolling Square Problem.png (675 KB, 1200x1064)
675 KB
675 KB PNG
>>
File: dinverno711.png (76 KB, 769x934)
76 KB
76 KB PNG
Trying to find all the Killing vectors for [math] g_{ab} = \begin{pmatrix} x^2 & 0 \\ 0 & x \\ \end{pmatrix} [/math]

Pic related is my working out. Can someone tell me if this is approach is generally correct or if it can be done more simply?
>>
File: weight bar.jpg (77 KB, 1485x1211)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
What if you have a pole like this. On the upper picture both contact points below the pole hold the same force. But what happens if you elevate the other contact point? How much force are they now supporting and how do you calculate this.
>>
Hey anons, hoping to seek some resources and advice on how to move forward. I'm currently trying to self study Distributed System from MIT, but I'm getting filtered.
I got to the point to understand that to implement consensus algorithm, like Raft, I have to overwrite large part of the design of the paper. I did try reading other people/open-source design of Raft, which seems to be using state machine(s).
At this point, I'm just confuse on how they even arrive at designing their solution in the first place. Is there something I should consider reviewing/study or do you have any resources on practicing design/implementation before doing raft implementation? Thank you in advance.
>>
>>16290361
the reaction forces are identical in both.
>how do you calculate this.
you start by letting the reaction forces by both points be something like F_1 and F_2. you write one equation where the sum of the forces, F_1 + F_2, are equal to the total weight of the pole (otherwise the pole would move up or down). then you write a second equation where the torque at point 2 caused by F_1 is equal and opposite to the torque at point 1 caused by F_2 (otherwise the pole would rotate about one of the points). you now how two equations with two unknowns, and you solve the system using whatever technique you like. without doing any math, you can surmise that the left and right sides of the second equation would be identical to each other, so the forces must be identical as well.
>>
>>16290452
The left stake is closer to the center of mass than the right stake. They are not even.
>>
>>16290471
>The left stake is closer to the center of mass than the right stake.
i dont think thats true, but youre right that i fucked up the torque equation. you pick a single point to do torque measurements to, not multiple. you can pick any point, but if you pick the center of mass then the weight of the mass itself doesnt create any torque so it simplifies it a bit.
>>
>>16290481
Imagine if the plank is 100 tall
>>
File: file.png (106 KB, 1441x684)
106 KB
106 KB PNG
>>16290489
>>
>>16290489
>>16290492
ahhh fuck we were both wrong, i see it now.
>>
>>16290498
wait no im not wrong, i forgot how normal forces work. im right.
>>
>>16290492
Dude, you need to use more intuition here. Let it be a 10^9 ft tall. You really think it's still gonna be even? Why is your reasoning wrong? (OP, think of this too)

going to sleep btw, ill check bck tmrw
>>
>>16286745
I have a discrete mathematics class starting tomorrow. What am I in for?
>>
Let c > 0. I need to show [math]\sum \frac{n}{e^{n^c}} < \infty[/math]. If c > 1 then convergence follows from the root test. I'm really struggling with the c < 1 case tho.
>>
>>16290581
Try ratio test and use newton's binomial theorem on (1+1/n)^c
>>
>>16290595
I think the ratio test is inconclusive if c < 1 because then [math]\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n} = \frac{n+1}{n} e^{n^c - (n+1)^c} \to 1[/math]. No?

(Also, not sure what you mean by applying the binomial theorem to a non-integer exponent)
>>
>>16290517
>Why is your reasoning wrong?
i feel like this isnt actually a rhetorical question lol.
well i certainly agree thats its unintuitive, but try as i might i cant get the math to spit out non-symmetrical reactions. my final conclusion is this: if you sum the normal reactions to equal the parallel component of the weight, then the reaction forces are equal, however there is a perpendicular portion of the weight that is unaccounted for (and presumably the board would begin to slide). if you try to fix this by adding friction reactions (essentially changing the point contacts to hinge/pin contacts) then you have four unknowns and the system is indeterminate.
>>
>>16290617
>>16290581
Prove that
[math]f(x) = x/e^{x^c}[/math] is eventually decreasing, therefore
[math]\sum \frac{n}{e^{n^c}} \leq O(1) + \sum 2^n\frac{2^n}{e^{2^{nc}}}[/math]
now
[math]\sum 2^{n+1} / e^{2^{nc}} = \sum 2^{n+1} / 2^{2^{nc} / \ln 2} = \sum 2^{n+1 - 2^{nc}/\ln2}[/math]
Now use ratio test to prove that the series converges.
>>
>>16290667
Neat. Thanks
>>
>>16290581
Note that two series (with positive real terms) either diverge or converge simultaneously if their terms are asymptotically equivalent (for n to infty)
>>
Hypothetically, what would happen if you were to aerosolize oxytocin and put it into the hvac system of a hedge fund company?
>>
>>16290654
:/
and if it's tall enough that the center of mass is above the left spike?

>system is indeterminate
my guy...
>>
File: aretheythesame.png (7 KB, 336x53)
7 KB
7 KB PNG
dumb question but are these two equations the same? one is doing an Einstein summation on the first index and the other on the second index

if they are indeed the same, does the homogeneous maxwell equation hold for every type of lagrangian? I mean, you can get the Bianchi identities without choosing a lagrangian
>>
Does the topic of "centripetal force" fall under dynamics or kinematics?
>>
>>16291107
The first equation is only true when there is no charge or current (otherwise the RHS would be the non-zero four-current), the second is more general and is always true.
>>
File: Screenshot.png (172 KB, 610x532)
172 KB
172 KB PNG
Is their a formula to calculate the volume of where the cone insects with the area "above" the plain?
>>
>>16291053
Yeah it doesn't matter if the spikes are the same distance from the center of mass. It tells nothing about how much weight they hold each.
>>
>>16291053
post some math man
>>
>>16291347
The left spike is mg/2(1 + c * tanx), where c is a number that OP may find. Right spike is similar.
>>
>>16291385
oh x is the angle, my b
>>
>>16291385
and thats a normal force? perpendicular to the face of the board?
>>
>>16291253
(For planes less that 45 degrees) Is the volume of a slanted cone still 1/3 B*H?

My guess would be, find the equation of the ellipse (the eq. is out there, and the area is pi*a*b), then find the distance from the plane to the origin (projection of vertical line onto the normal).

For hyperbola or parabolas idk
>>
"Exercise 13. Suppose the semicircle parametrized by:

[math]σ(θ)=(0,asenθ,acosθ),θ∈[0,π],
[/math]

with [math]a > 0[/math], is made of wire with uniform density of 2 grams per unit length.
(a) What is the total mass of the wire?
(b) Where is the center of mass of this wire configuration?
(c) If the ambient temperature is equal to [math]x+y-z[/math] at the point [math](x, y, z)[/math], calculate the average temperature over the wire."

I already solved a and b ( got [math] 2\pi a[/math] as total mass of the wire). We are discussing with some friends about which is the correct way to calculate the point c.
Let's call [math]f(x,y,z)= x+y-z[/math] We are between:
[math] \bar{T}= \frac{\int^{\pi}_0 f(\sigma(\theta)|| \sigma'(\theta) || d\theta}{TM} [/math]
TM=total mass
[math] \bar{T}= \frac{\int^{\pi}_0 f(\sigma(\theta)|| \sigma'(\theta) || d\theta}{\mathcal{L}(C)} [/math]

With
[math] \mathcal{L}(C)= \int^{\pi}_0 || \sigma'(\theta) || d\theta [/math]
3. [math] \bar{T}= \frac{\int^{\pi}_0 f(\sigma(\theta) d\theta}{\mathcal{L}(C)} [/math]

Which one is the correct form?
>>
Is there any good and free alternative for Aithor? I need to do an introduction for a paper, so I was using ChatGPT and gemini, but the references they use are not good.
>>
When I learned about torque I i was taught using cross products. I never understood what the resultant vector really meant. I thought since it was in space it had to correspond to something physical in space, but is it really just the magnitude of the torque?
>>
>>16291516
As you say, it does equate to the magnitude of the torque. You are also right it doesn't correspond directly to something physical in space, but remember that it is a normal vector, one that is perpendicular to the plane defined by the force and the contact point; that plane is what the rotation lies within.
>>
File: sin20.png (11 KB, 327x180)
11 KB
11 KB PNG
Why don't we know if sin(20) is an irrational number?
>>
>>16291505
The temperature is a function of position. Why tf would it depend on the mass?
You're doing a 1D line integral. The line integral is r*d\theta, not d\theta. Theta isn't even a unit of length; 3.) isn't even in units of temperature.
>>
>>16291516
A vector has magnitude and direction. The magnitude of the vector is the magnitude of the torque, and the direction of the torque represents the orientation of the torque (counter clockwise with the right hand rule).

The magnitude is also equal to the area of the parallelogram made by the two initial vectors that you cross product.
>>
>>16291566
we do know. 20 degrees / 360 is 1/18 * 2pi radians.
pi/9 radians is just 1/3 of pi/3. Sine of pi/3 = sqrt(3)/2. You can solve for sin(pi/9) using the triple angle formula, and solving for the cubic equation.
>>
>>16291581
> [math]\sin{\pi/3} = \sqrt{3} / 2[/math]
I don't think that method works for sin(20) because of that sqrt, it isn't rational. It does work for sin(10) since you end up using the result 1/2.
>>
>>16291589
yes, it conclusively means it is irrational (unless when u do the steps it comes out a rational number somehow)
>>
>>16291598
lol you dont have to do the equation. Yes it is def irrational
>>
Suppose I have two pairs of positive integers (a,b) and (c,d)
Is there a computationally faster way to check if ab < cd than just doing both the multiplications in full?
>>
>>16291567
>Why tf would it depend on the mass?
Yeah it doesn't make much sense that's why I'm asking.
>The line integral is r*d\theta, not d\theta.
Afaik [math] \int_C f ds = \int_a^b f(\sigma(t)) || \sigma'(t) || dt [/math], if σ is a parametrization of C. Since this particular curve is a circle, ds=r*d\theta, since [math] || \sigma'(\theta) || = a [/math], but I don't see why are you correcting me for using the "standard" form for line integrals.
If you are telling me this because of the form 3, yeah I pointed out the same but the dude seem pretty sure about it so I considered it anyways.
>>
>>16291609
If the sum of the number of digits in (a,b) is at least two digits more that that of (c,d), then it's always the case that ab>cd I think. So that's something.
>>
i have ordered 5 packages, which are set to arrive after today (the 21st). 2 of them are estimated to arrive in the next 2 days (either the 22nd or 23rd), and the other 3 should arrive somewhere in the next 4 days (22nd/23rd/24th/25th). i wanted to know what the chance is of at least 1 of these packages arriving tomorrow (the 22nd). a probability calculator said 89.45% which sounds correct, but how can i calculate this myself? as in, how can i calculate what the probability is of at least one possible thing out of several to happen?
this is probably pitifully simple for this thread but looking anything up nowadays is hell, i would rather just ask people who can explain it better.
>>
What do 4chan /pol/acks mean when they say intelligence in heritable by race?
Do they think your genetics determines how well you can understand a math problem or how effectively you absorb information?
>>
>>16291680
Usually the easiest way to calculate the probability of "at least one" is to calculate the probability of 0 and then subtract it from one

A package that arrives by the 23rd a 1/2 probability of not arriving on the 22nd, and a package arriving by the 25th has a 3/4 chance of not arriving, assuming each day is equally likely
So to get the probability of nothing arriving you multiply all those together, and to get the probability of something you take that and subtract it from one
>>
>>16291680
I got 89.45% by calculating it by just using a normal calculator. Like other poster said calculate the probability that no package arrives tomorrow and subtract that from one. You want the two packages to arrive in one of the two days, so (1/2)^2 and you want the other three to arrive in one of the other three days out of four days, so overall (1/2)^2*(3/4)^3 and subtract that from one to get 1-(1/2)^2*(3/4)^3.
>>
>>16291609
If they're ordered pairs...

If d = b
>ab = cd if c=a
>ab < cd if c > a

Without loss of generality, if d > b
>ab < cd if c >= a
If c < a,
>ab > cd if a-c >= d-b, or [ (a-c)b > (d-b)c ]
>ab <= cd if (a-c)b/c <= d-b

The last part sucks since you're back to multiplying/dividing. But normally, this outta be faster most of the time (like 2/3) than outright multiplying, under the assumption that addition and size comparisons are much faster than multiplication.
>>
>>16291718
btw, don't even do the last step, just do the normal comparison
>>
>>16291609
nothing that could actually run faster on a CPU. your fancy 14th gen intel can multiply 32-bit integers in around 3 cycles, so thats 7 cycles total (two IMULs plus one BGEQ), except it can actually do the multiplication in parallel if the operations are independent, so thats really 4 cycles. you could theoretically do some evil bit-shifting nonsense to get your result in an “easier” fashion, but youre not beating 4 cycles. and even if you could, the chip likely already has optimizations built into it for minor stuff like this.
>>
Does somebody know why the minus sign here disappears?
>>
>>16291908
As it states, the chain rule: [eqn]\frac{\partial}{\partial t} \left(\mathbb{r} - \mathbb{r}_{i}(t)\right) = -\frac{\partial \mathbb{r}_{i}}{\partial t} = -\dot{\mathbb{r}}_{i}[/eqn]
>>
[eqn]\int_{x^{2}\, +\, y^{2}\, <\, 1} dx\, dy\, \frac{e^{i\left(x \xi + y \eta\right)}}{\sqrt{1-x^{2}-y^{2}}}[/eqn]Does this integral have a specific name?
>>
say if i visit a random hotel in a random country with my gf, what's the probability that the room in which I'll be staying is bugged?
>>
>>16291981
You can do it analytically. It's a sinc function of [math] \sqrt{\xi^2+\eta^2} [/math]
>>
>>16291690
>>16291713
thanks for the help. i could’ve sworn that i tried doing this before asking on here and got a different result, so i guess i entered it wrong.
even more pointless because i checked the mail today and all 5 packages arrived. what are the chances, haha
>>
>>16292568
>what are the chances
Less than one percent literally
>>
If you select N random numbers between zero and one, what is the expected value of the smallest one of the N numbers?
>>
>>16292845
1/(N+1) is the average
>>
anyone have some suggestions for introductory books / learning resources for electronics and electricity? I don't need anything serious, I just got curious about how electricity works in circuits. I found these two:
>https://www.allaboutcircuits.com
>"Practical Electronics for Inventors" by Scherz and Monk, 4th Edition
will these be enough to scratch the itch? I don't want something that's too shallow either
>>
>>16292957
I just looked up how to blink an LED and went from there
>>
>>16286745
How can I find [math]\mathbf{B}[/math] from [math]\nabla \times \mathbf{B} = \mu_0 \left( \mathbf{J} + \epsilon_0\frac{\partial \mathbf{E}}{\partial t} \right)[\math] and [math]\nabla \cdot \mathbf{B} = 0[\math] if I know [math]\mathbf{J}[\math] and [math]\frac{\partial \mathbf{E}}{\partial t}[/math]?
>>
>>16293021
Fuck

and [math]\nabla \cdot \mathbf{B} = 0[/math] if I know [math]\mathbf{J}[/math] and [math]\frac{\partial \mathbf{E}}{\partial t}[/math]
>>
>>16293021
All you need is J. You can't just give a random J and dE/dt and call it a day - they have to satisfy the conservation of charge: Div(J) = - Div(dD/dt), where D is epsilon_0 times E. So if the system isn't changing over time, the normal condition might be that Div(J) = 0.

To solve for B, instead of working with Maxwell's equations, you use the equivalent Jefimenko Equations. Im not gonna type it up in latex, just look it up. Notice tho, that if things are changing in time, then B depends on the RETARDED times for each relevant point, since it takes time for a change in the system to get to you. When nothing's changing, you basically get the Biot-Savart Law using J instead of I.
>>
I really want to study more however I feel like I hit the mental fatigue levels in about 2-3 hours of intense studying after which I no longer can understand and memorize new information as before which makes studying much less productive.
Are there some ways to increase the amount of time when you can maintain better focus and understanding?
Maybe it is like some muscle you need to train specific way in order to get better at it? Or maybe there is some sort of medicine for this?
>>
>>16293189
well, you could try to brute force a longer mental endurance by adding 15min to your max time each week or so. but I would recommend trying the pomodoro technique and adjust the work, break, and long break times until you feel it's best optimized for you
all else I can say is that not everyone is made for long study sessions. it's natural for people to experience mental fatigue over time with cognitively demanding tasks and have their performance degrade. it's the same reason a person can't sit down and play a video game at their peak performance for 9 hours straight. the neurons in your brain can only handle so much before they get fatigued. many people have to take breaks or break up their studying in chunks and intersperse it with other activities
if you're just starting out, you'll have to be patient with yourself and take things slow. if you've already been at it for a while, you'll have to accept your limitations and work with them
eating healthy and getting enough quality sleep also helps...
>>
File: images.png (3 KB, 312x162)
3 KB
3 KB PNG
>>16293189
Amphetamine
>>
>>16292845
it has a beta(N, 1) distribution so 1/(N+1) as >>16292871 said
>>
Can you derive the volume of the four dimensional sphere using the classical argument of Archimedes in the three dimensional case, so by considering a four dimensional cone and cylinder and then applying Cavalieri's principle.

I'd say it's impossible, but I'm not sure. Can anyone confirm?
>>
File: Line.jpg (21 KB, 1364x581)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
If you select N random points on a line segment one unit long, what is the average length of the smallest distance between two adjacent points?
>>
>>16293307
I mean, do it in 2 dimensions and certainly it doesn't work out. You can look up the n-volume of a n-D sphere. The n-volume of cylinders and cones is the basic Vol_{n-1} * height (base times height) and 1/N * Vol_{n-1} * height, respectively, where the height is 2R and the volume is for an {n-1}-D sphere. For 4D, their diff is some fraction multiple of pi, whereas the 4D volume of a sphere is a fraction multiple of pi^2. For 2D, the difference in 2D volume (area) is a fraction since the volume of a 1-D sphere is just a line of radius R, whereas the area of a sphere is a multiple of pi.

The pattern for the Vol_n of a sphere is like pi^floor{n/2}, so n=2,3 has pi^1, n=4,5 has pi^2, n=6,7 has pi^3, etc. For the 2,3 you get coefficients are equal. For 4,5, you're off by a factor of 2/3. For 6,7, you're off by a factor of 8/15. For 8,9, you're off by a factor of 16/35.
Im sure there's some rule for this factor, but idk it. Might be like 2^x in the numerator, and multiple of consecutive odd numbers (1*3, 3*5, 5*7) in the denominator
>>
>>16293538
next one looks like 2^7 / (5*7*9) so something similar
>>
I've been talking to ChatGPT about a 20-sided dice, it explained to me that there's about 5% chance of it landing in any given number, and that, there's a 50% chance of it landing anywhere below 10, but only 45% chance of it landing anywhere above 10. It said that if I were to instead consider the turning point at 11 and anything above 11, that the chances of landing on anyting above 11 to be 50%. Does that mean that half of 20 is 11? It's not making any sense to me.
>>
>>16293554
I've worded that terribly, let me try again:
11 and above means 50% chances of it landing at those numbers.
10 and below means 50% chances of it landing on those numbers.
The maximum sides of the dice is 20, which means that if I'm not completely braindead, I would assume that half of 20 is 10, but it's saying to me that 11 is actually the point where there's a 50% chance of it landing below or above that.
>>
>>16293554
Don't trust anything ChatGPT says about math. There is a 50% chance of getting the numbers 1-10, and a 50% chance of getting the numbers 11-20.
>>
>>16293564
>and a 50% chance of getting the numbers 11-20.
That's the part I don't understand, it said the same thing, that above for it to have a 50% chance of landing at those numbers, the cut off point is 11 instead of 10. Wouldn't 10 be exactly half and anything below 10 there's 50% chances and anything above 10% there should also be 50% chances? Why is it 11 that means 50% chance and equal for both? It's not even half of 20. That's 9 numbers versus 10 numbers. Making it uneven, when half of 20 is 10.
>>
>>16293570
>above 10%
Above 10, not 10%
I'm having a tough time over here.
>>
>>16293422
1/(2N+2) prob
>>
>>16293570
>>16293572
since you're basically splitting 20 into two parts, each should have 10 parts. you start counting from 1, so the second part will consist of the first 10 numbers and the second will begin at 1+10
>1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 (10 numbers)
>11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 (10 numbers)
>>
>>16293570
You are dividing the interval of real numbers from 0 to 20 in half when you come up with the number 10. But a twenty sided die has 20 discrete values, it is not a continuous interval.

You can go from the continuous interval to the discrete values by simply rounding up. But the real numbers greater than 10 round up to the integers 11-20, the real numbers less than 10 round up to the integers 1-10.
>>
>>16293422
How are the endpoints of the unit interval treated in your problem statement? If you select N points there are N-1 intervals between them, but your image seems to show that the right endpoint is automatically selected so you are considering N intervals. You could also consider N+1 intervals if you consider the left endpoint too. Which one is it?
>>
>>16293773
I mean the end points don't count so N-1 intervals. In the pic one of the randomly generated points just happened to be very close to the right end
>>
>>16293422
1/(N+1) still? For N > 1
>>
>>16293784
>>16293422
> average length of the smallest distance between two adjacent points?
1/(N^2-1)
>>
>>16286745
Why are they not sending Hubble or JWST away in a straight trajectory with relays following it until the end has been reached?
>>
>Find a particular solution to [math]y'' + y = \sin x \cos 2x[/math] using undetermined coefficients method
The method requires each of the terms of the input function to be of the form
[math]P(x) e^{\alpha x} \sin \beta x[/math], or
[math]P(x) e^{\alpha x} \cos \beta x[/math], or
[math]P(x) e^{\alpha x} [/math] where [math]P(x)[/math] is a polynomial.
I tried using trig identities but couldn't get it in the desired form. Hints?
>>
>>16293934
What benefit would that bring?
>>
>>16294016
Idk. Looks like the answer is something like A*sinx*cos2x + B*x*cosx. (some fraction of 9 if my work is right)
But the input is supposed to be with an e^{aix} or wtv. So Im guessing that you're supposed to assume the answer is something in the form of
>A e^{ix} sin(2x) + B e^{-ix} sin(2x) + C e^{ix} cos(2x) + D e^{-ix} cos(2x) + P1(x)e^{ix} + P2(x)e^{-ix}
or
>A e^{ix} sin(2x) + B e^{-ix} sin(2x) + C e^{ix} cos(2x) + D e^{-ix} cos(2x) + P1(x)sinx + P2(x)cosx
where A,B,C,D are complex numbers.
You get i and -i cause (r-i)(r+i) = r^2 + 1 = 0 as your polynomial
>>
>>16294086
>You get i and -i cause (r-i)(r+i) = r^2 + 1 = 0 as your polynomial
ignore, this is wrong
>>
File: triangle.jpg (84 KB, 1338x1037)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
I discovered a math problem by playing around with Desmos. I made an equilateral triangle with side length one. Then I put the orange point inside the triangle and a line through the point with the condition that the line must cut the triangle in half but not by intersecting with the bottom side (in other words, the quadrilateral ABCD in picrelated has an area half the area of the triangle).

Then I discovered that this is only possible to do when the orane point is picked inside the red-shaded region. So it made me wonder what's the math behind the shaded region. For example what curves is it made of and what is its area, etc.
>>
>>16294215
the center of mass?
>>
>>16293102
Wow chill out dude, no need for slurs. What's so dumb about those times anyway?
>>
>>16286745
In a magnetspectrometer, we measure a proton with the momentum vector
(236,55,468)
MeV/c and a π- (pion) with the momentum vector
(127,−71,139)
MeV/c.

Assuming both particles originate from the decay of a common parent particle, what would be the mass of this parent particle? (Solve using four vector).

Can someone help me, I just can't solve this shit. The result should be 1115 MeV/c^2.
>>
>>16294683
Conservation of momentum applies to the 4 vector. (E/c, p)_0 = (E/c, p)_1 + (E/c, p)_2. The mass energy relationship is E^2 = p^2c^2 + m^2c^4.
>>
>>16294507
They got the bad autism
>>
"Let [math]D[/math] be the region enclosed by the [math]x[/math]-axis and the arc of the cycloid:
[math]x = \theta - \sin\theta, \quad y = 1 - \cos\theta, \quad 0 \leq \theta \leq 2\pi.[/math]
Using Green's Theorem, calculate the area of [math]D[/math]."
The curve that encloses the region follows a clockwise orientation, while Green's theorem asks for a anticlockwise orientation. Can I just use Green like I would normally do (if I do so the result of the area is [math]-3\pi[/math]) and then change the sign of the result? Or do I have to calculate everything in a different way?
>>
>>16294985
Replace theta with 2pi - theta, and answer your question yourself
>>
>>16295005
Ok, I did so and I got to the same result but with some extra math (3pi). But I'm asking in a more general way, like in an exam can I properly justify that if the curve goes clockwise I can still use Green's but the result would have the opposite sign? I know I can use 2pi - theta but saving those extra steps it's useful.
>>
>>16295010
yes, you can
>>
>>16286745
Why is math so unintuitive to me.
To me math seems fucking insane.

e to the power of pi times i equals negative one? What the hell? How is that intuitive. Why is that a law of nature?

So an irrational real number to the power of an irrational imaginary number equals negative one?
What? How do I think like a mathematician.
>>
>>16295060
I don't know why I'm typing this all out, but here you go:

e^x = 1 + x + x^2/2 + x^3/6 + x^4/24+...

Try it yourself on a calculator for some small numbers x. If you include the whole infinite series it will work exactly even for large x.

There are similar formulas for sine and cosine
cos x = 1 - x^2/2 + x^4/24+...
sin x = x - x^3/6 + ...

You can see that if we are allowed to extend x to imaginary numbers

e^{ix} = cos x + i sin x

Then plug in pi for x and you have the result
>>
>>16295060
Even crazier is that if you have 1 + 1/2^2 + 1/3^2 +1/4^2 + ... to infinity. If you multiply that by six and take square root, it is equal to a circle's perimeter divided by diameter.
>>
>>16295060
Math is just a game, where if the initial rules are (ideally) carefully selected, and the game is to just follow those rules and see where you go. You say e^i is unintuituve. What about 2^{3/2}? Or 2^pi? Is that any more intuitive?

>2^3 = 2*2*2 and 2^4 = 2*2*2*2
2^{integer} pretty much works.
What's 2^{5/3} then? Add a new rule to the game. Make it so that 2^{5/3} is equal to the cube-rt{2^5}. Now you can do 2^{fraction}
Then what the hell is 2^{3.141592...}?
Make a new rule, make 2^x = e^{xln2} and define e^x as the Taylor Expansion 1 + x + x^2/2 + x^3/6 + ... This new rule is backwards compatible with the previously made rules. It also makes it so that 2^x, 3^x, pi^x all of them are nice smooth graphs that are monotone increasing.

e^{ix} and euler's identity is found by that Taylor expansion above like >>16295060. Euler knew the expansion for e^x, sinx, and cosx, and that i^2 = -1. Using these 4 rules, he gets the nice formula. It's just a game he followed.

(For "intuition", there's also some stuff to be said like the vertical line {ix} (a Lie group) is just the tangent of the complex unit circle e^{ix} (a Lie algebra) at x = 0. So the exponential map (e^x) of the Lie group gives a Lie algebra. Idk, maybe this is a better "why" than "it just fits the taylor expansion bro".)
>>
>>16295097
switch the words group and algebra there
>>
>>16294812
I'll try again tommorow, figured that anon, but maybe I fucked up somewhere.
>>
>>16295233
Thanks either way, btw. Appreciate the help.
>>
I have a politic math question, Not about electoral college.

But Clinton won 2016 by 2,868,519 votes, and still lost the electoral college.

I'm just wondering, THEORETICALLY how many votes (of individuals) to win ?

It would be hard to think if a person lost by like 5-10 MILLION votes they could still "win" president?
I'm just Hoping Sci can enlighten me.

This is a stupid question, I know.
>>
>>16295237
I did the math out and yeah that should be the answer. Nothing special about it or some weird trick. If you got a ti-84 esque calculator it's easier than just typing in google, and less prone to a mistype. The google lookup of the masses are correct too (it's the first one given, but still, make sure you got the right pion)
>>
File: pipipipi.png (4 KB, 392x332)
4 KB
4 KB PNG
What are the chances that this is actually an integer? Because nobody has been able to prove otherwise.
>>
>>16295390
Even if everyone expects it to be zero, until we have a proof the answer is not zero.
>>
Environmental science is so sexy.
>>
File: helpimanidiot.jpg (37 KB, 734x259)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
Any Chemistry chads in here that can explain to me why chloride has a subscript of 2 in the reactants, but not in the product? I can't figure this out....
>>
>>16295467
It creates more than 1 LiCl per reaction
>>
>>16295390
If I have a coin hidden in my closed hand, is it 50% heads and 50% tails? No, that'd be dumb. It's either 100% heads or 100% tails. Just because you don't know the answer doesn't mean the truth can be either. You can't give "chances" to an already established state. For your question, it either 100% true or 100% false - we simply don't know. You can't describe a "chance" to this.
>>
>>16295467
It's not a balanced equation. The question is asking you to fill in the blanks and balance it. Each molecule has an imaginary fill-in-the-blank box in front of it. You have to make it so the the number on the left side is equal to the number on the right. There's 2 chlorine on the left but only 1 on the right. This means that the right side, you need to put a number in front of that molecule that is 2 times as much as the one on the left. But ALL of the atoms on the left side need to equal all the atoms on the right.
>>
File: 1650610597209s.jpg (3 KB, 125x104)
3 KB
3 KB JPG
does anyone have this? there was this one image that was posted on /sci/ somewhat often a few years ago (idk if it still is i dont use /sci/ anymore) that was a graph with the x-axis labeled as how many people trying something and the y-axis labeled as the probability that someone found it life changing. it had a lot of data points, mostly nootropics, but i also remember it had stuff like "studying math". also i managed to find a thumbnail on a 4chan archive but the 4chan archives that archive actual images on /sci/ both didnt have the actual image of that post for some reason (the post number was 14417681, maybe it will load for you). couldnt find it anywhere else, picrel is the thumbnail.
>>
File: triangle2.png (93 KB, 1416x1059)
93 KB
93 KB PNG
>>16294215
Discovered that within a certain region in the triangle two different lines can be valid solutions and they don't have to be symmetrical.
>>
File: 1721856794383111.jpg (63 KB, 500x500)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
If able to, would you recommend that a Physfag skip General Physics 1? I'm in a JC, so the courses needed are Gen Phys 1-3. 1 and 2 being Mechanics, and Electricity and Magnetism, I believe. Not sure what 3 is, but I'd assume it's Modern Physics. What comes afterwards once I move onto uni? Other than not having the experience that comes with solving those types of mechanical problems and learning Mathematical methods, is there anything that I'd miss out and would come back to bite me in the ass later? Isn't Mechanics reviewed in an upper class with more rigorous Maths?
>>
File: math.png (90 KB, 1859x325)
90 KB
90 KB PNG
>>16294215
edit: here is the math. The monstrosity of an equation in picrel is the lower boundary of the red-shaded region.
>>
>>16295539
Is it this one?
http://i.warosu.org/data/sci/img/0145/88/1655729120690.png
>>
Can someone spot my mistake?

A die is rolled over and over until the first "6" is encountered. What is the expected sum of the results of all rolls?
(Failed) attempt: Let [math]X_n \sim Uni(1...6)[/math] be the nth roll and let [math]A_n[/math] denote "the first 6 that came up was at time n". Our expected sum is [math]\sum_{n=1}^\infty E[\sum_{i=1}^n X_i | A_n] P(A_n) = \sum_{n=1}^\infty (\sum_{i=1}^n E[X_i | A_n]) P(A_n)[/math]. Now if [math]i < n[/math] then [math]E[X_i | A_n] = \frac{15/6}{P(A_n)}[/math], and [math]E[X_n | A_n] = \frac{1/6}{P(A_n)}[/math]. Overall we get [math]\sum_{n=1}^\infty (\frac{(n-1) \cdot 15/6 + 1/6}{P(A_n)}) P(A_n) = \infty[/math] (which is incorrect).
>>
>>16296079
If 6 is rolled on the n'th roll. The expectation value for the other rolls is (1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5) / 5 = 3, and since there are n-1 such rolls then total expected sum should be: 3(n-1) + 6 = 3(n+1)
>>
>>16296212
I'm trying something similar.
>>
>>16296079
The probability you get n rolls or (1/6)*(5/6)^{n-1} = (1/5)*(5/6)^n
The sum for n rolls is 3*(n+1)
Multiply the two and do an infinite sum over n from 1 -> infinity.

Factoring out the 3/5, the first term involving n*[___] is (5/6) / (1-5/6)^2. The second term involving 1*[____] is (5/6) / (1-5/6).
Overall it's like 21?
>>
>>16296273
Fag
>>
Google Scholar says my paper has 1 citation (one paper my ex-advisor published without me lel) but ACM Digital Library says it has 0 citations.
Which number is the correct one (to calculate my h-index in the future)?
>>
File: 1721344418932979.png (451 KB, 942x530)
451 KB
451 KB PNG
So if the soul is not real and the self is illusory, what exactly is the thing that operates this body and lives behind these eyes and feels emotions? What exactly is a personality? Neural pathways?
I have a healthy body and a capable mind, but something is not right. Nature or nurture, doesn't really matter which, I became something I don't like being. The person this body and this mind produced is defective. Is there any way to change fundamentally who I am? Like burning the forest so a new one can grow.
I hear this notion of the self being trivialized so often, surely there is a way to consciously and truly modify my essence or personality or whatever you want to call it.
Meds? Drugs? Meditation? Which ones?
>>
>>16296383
Is the computer you're using to browse 4chan have a soul?
>>
>>16296396
No, but I can change the OS of this computer. I can install and remove programs. I can erase all of its files and programs but still keep it working well.
Is there any process for the human mind that is equivalent to this?
>>
>>16296408
Never heard of human memory before?
>>
>>16296408
>>16296438
>my name is John
Voila, i have added to your memory
>>
What's a good resource for high school-level chemistry? I'm retaking a lot classes as an adult because I was a retard as a kid and I'm not sure where to get the best info, course books are relatively bare since I guess they assume you have a teacher on hand to explain stuff.
>>
>>16296438
So what do I do or take to alter my memory? Let's say I want to fabricate false memories to replace the real ones so I can behave in a different way. Is that possible?
Hard mode: no catty quips or "just do a Phineas Gage bro"
>>
>>16296446
What is false memory? Define it. What is "false memory" to your computer?

>so I can behave...
I'll get to this when you answer. Related to this, define what memory is to you.
>>
>>16296470
*memory to you, and memory to a computer
>>
>>16296408
>>16296446
Hypnosis
>>
>>16295349
Solved it, got the answer, was easier than I thought, idk how I fucked up on this. Tyvm anon.
>>
>>16296470
>what memory is to you
The thing that keeps "me" coming back everytime I wake up. Speaking in terms of computers it's the thing that loads when I turn the machine on, I suppose. Although that sounds more like awareness or consciousness, but what would awareness in this brain mean if I didn't remember who I am?
I wake up every morning and I remember what happened yesterday and beyond. I remember who I am. I don't make an effort to recall it or anything, I just come back, all my personality traits and preferences and fears.
But there's more to what I am than just memories I believe. I don't fully understand why I am the way I am, I don't think it's only conscious memories or unconscious impressions left behind by events from my past, but I don't believe I was just born this way either. Or maybe I was?
Bottom line is I don't like what I am "inside". I have a nice body and a nice brain, but my mind doesn't behave the way I wish it did in some areas, namely in what most people just call personality or soul. But what is all of that then? Neurons firing in a specific and odious pattern? No matter how much I understand that the self is not real, it still feels real to me and I don't like it.
>>
File: Capture.png (91 KB, 1674x284)
91 KB
91 KB PNG
You come across this question. You don't know what a matrix or matrix determinant is. You don't know what the scalar triple product is. How are you going to conduct your investigation for part (b)?
>>
>>16296566
Sorry, to clarify I am talking about the second part of part (b): "Do the same for three vectors in [math]\mathbb{C}^3[/math]"
>>
>>16296566
>>16296572
Just use a dot product man. It's literally the easiest way, matrix would be overkill @_@
>>
>>16296565
When you build a computer, an SSD or HDD and RAM is among the many parts you need to buy. All three are used to store information; former two are long term storage, whereas RAM stores short term information while the computer is turned on (like temporary variables) and allows for quick retrieval (implying that using an SSD or hard drive in it's place would be slower). All three components are what we call computer memory. A simple task a computer can do easily is set (store) the value 10 into the variable x, the value 7 into the variable y, and do something like set z = x+y, which is set to 17. (Funny enough, any child can easily store in their head x=10, y=7 then do z=x+y=10+7 in their head.)
For computers, memory is equivalent to stored information (and memory capacity is the max size of storage, which for average people might be measured in gigabytes).

What then is "false information" to a computer? All an SSD holds is information - if you want it to keep track of whether or not the information is "factually true", you can do so, but that just is just another piece of information. The earth is flat, the sky is blue, my car is purple; if I wanted, I can associate each information to a True or a False, but now I'm doubling (for simplicity sake) the amount of information the computer needs to store.

Do you remember what the nurse was wearing when your mother gave birth to you? Do you remember what 2+2 is? Do you remember what a sound a cow makes? Do you remember what you ate 164 days ago? Can you remember what the word "Hello" sounds like? All of this is just information that you did or did not store. You being able to think words in your head is from that information being stored in your head. Do you know what 狗 sounds like? Or what it means? No, because you were never taught Chinese. If the information was never fed to you, how could you store it?

The human brain at max can store ~ 2.5 petabyes = 2.5 million gigabytes of memory.
>>
Can someone who isn't trying to sell me something redpill me on geoscience vs geology vs earth science?
>>
>>16296649
>we have 2.5 million GB
Why can't I remember an entire math book then?
>>
>>16296683
"Earth science" is generally used to mean a much broader field that encompasses not only geology, but also shit like hydrology and atmospherics.
Exactly what "geoscience" consists of pretty much depends entirely on the context and who's talking, though I think it's usually used synonymously with geology
>>
>>16296685
There exists people who actually can memorize books. There's also people who literally remember every moment of their life. Thing is though, these extreme people don't tend to come out as Fields medalists or Nobel Prize winners. Lots of animals know how to walk basically at birth, whereas human babies need years to learn. On the other hand, those animals have no chance at calculus or memorizing digits of pi. It seems to be beneficial that we don't memorize every bit of information that is fed to us. Also, the more information you store in your list, the longer it takes to retrieve information in general. An empty disk is faster than a full hard drive. There's always a cost in comp sci.

Remember, there's RAM and there's HDDs/SSDs, there's short term and long term memory, both measured in bytes. All people and most animals have both short and long term memory capacity. Some are really good at one, some really good at both, some at none. Sometimes you get guys who suck at math, then they get a concussion and wake up at the hospital suddenly a math genius. Sometimes you get hit by a car and forgot your life from the last 6 years.

Or sometimes you're born a Von Neumann, a next-level genius who could recite A Tale of Two Cities on his deathbed. Some people built different
>>
>>16296708
SO basically, I just have to research whatever the school is putting into each curriculum and compare that against what I need, and at least 5% gamble the school is good?
I'm torn between straight 'Masters Environmental Science' and 'get a bachelors in Geoscience and then Master Environmental science'.
>>
>>16296649
My personality is information stored in the brain, sure, but am stuck with this until I die then? Like I said, I care not if I was born such and such or made this way by this or that event, but I don't want this to be the way I live. I was hoping there was some sort of treatment or practice to alter some of it, but maybe that's the way it is, the only way it could have ever been.
Maybe it's just as simple as behavioral therapy.
>>
>>16296750
A huge chunk of input sent to the brain isn't in your control, and a huge chunk of your brain isn't even in your control. Your brain sends signals to your organs, most of which you don't control. Your organs sends information to your brain which you had no control over. You can't stop your stomach from telling your brain you're hungry (you can still ignore it). You can't tell your heart to stop 100%. You can't control your genetics either. A vast part of what makes you, you, is your genetics. Some people are simply born with nice tendencies, some are born angry, some are born who enjoy seeing other people hurt, and you can't control that. But the human brain is special amongst all other life on earth in it's it's capacity to gain and utilize new information. We also live long enough and have the right tools/hands/eyes/feet to train it (sorry octopuses/dolphins).

Computers gain and remove information all the time. Some information is vital to the computer to function at all and so cannot be removed. Yes, there are some parts of you that you can't remove, but there's nothing to stop you from adding more, learning more, or simply grow. Maybe you're genetics are such that you love women. There's still nothing technically stopping your from falling in love with a dude if he's everything you could ever ask for. Maybe you're genetics are such that you tend to be a loner. Nothings stopping you from interacting with people and learning how to be more social (as I did).

The best part of life is figuring out the things you can change about yourself, and seeing how far you can go, whether it's going to the gym, doing a marathon, learning a new language, or developing your skills. Don't focus too much on what you can't change (but figure out what they are so you know how to mitigate their potential to hinder you)

There's also drugs which are cool
>>
If you push an object with constant acceleration, what is the wattage that you're using as a function of time? Or the other way around, if you are accelerating an object with constant wattage, what then is the acceleration as a function of time?
>>
>>16293102
Thanks, Anon
>>
>>16296863
F(t) = ma(t)
dW = F(t)dx
P = dW/dt = F(t)*v(t)
>>
File: 1721460888375203.png (458 KB, 704x704)
458 KB
458 KB PNG
I'm dumb for being bad at math English and science during my middle and high school years?
I'm starting college this fall and I'm scared of failing
>>
>>16297136
Fear of failure means you're invested.
Are you actually retarded? Anyone have you tested for a mental disability, dyslexia, etc?
>>
>>16297141
>Are you actually retarded?
I was diagnosed with minor autism as a child by a doctor so a little bit I guess
>Anyone have you tested for a mental disability, dyslexia, etc?
I haven't been diagnosed with dyslexic but I do believe I have it on some level
>>
What's the optimal strategy for heavy studying? I need to do 2 years worth of courses in 1
>>
>>16297136
I assume you're going into STEM? My advice would be to solve all of your problems all alone, and only get help when you truly can't find a way out (and that bar should be put very high). Read through fringe books, watch videos no one else watches, so you get tidbits of knowledge few people have. If you do that enough, by the end of university, you'll be able to solve any problem and get a unique knowledge base + the ability to solve any problem in any field.

At least that's the case for me.
>>
>>16297317
>I assume you're going into STEM?
No I plan to get a major in anthropology and a minor in archeology. I didn't hear about stem program till the last year of high school,
>My advice would be to solve all of your problems all alone, and only get help when you truly can't find a way out
I did that during High School, it just made everyone wait one me to catch up or tell the teacher tell me the skip the question.
>>
Are there any seminal books like the Feynman Lectures or Pauling’s General Chemistry for Botany?
>>
>>16297463
Euclid's Elements
Darwin's On the Origin of Species

For some pop-sci stuff:

The Selfish Gene
A Brief History of Time
Cosmos
>>
>>16296566
>>16296572
Use the definition of linearity and solve for the two unknowns from the two equations, determine when it isn't possible
>>
Can someone help me understand how to get an intuition for what a graphical representation of a function will look and vice versa? I'm not able to understand how these youtubers are getting a probability density function just based off of looking the graphical representation of a function
>>
>>16297629
>I'm not able to understand how these youtubers are getting a probability density function just based off of looking the graphical representation of a function
What does this mean?
>>
>>16297650
https://youtu.be/3xAIWiTJCvE?t=249
this is what im referring to
>>
>>16297655
Because they know the answer already.
>>
Are there many hormones of whores in tap water? Is it more safe than bottled water?
>>
File: Untitled.png (16 KB, 920x445)
16 KB
16 KB PNG
Need a sanity check on a bitwise operation. I'm following instructions for programming an FPGA that are telling me to set flag N in this diagram by doing an XOR of byte 0x23 with the value 0x20. But isn't that operation actually going to set flag K, or have I been retarded somewhere?
>>
Anybody knows how they linearized this? I expected you'd only write
>sin(\alpha + \beta) = \alpha + \beta
>\cos(\alpha + \beta) = 1
Both \alpha and \beta are supposed to be "small" angles.
>>
>>16297396
I was talking about homework problems, but still:
So after you failed your problems in class, did you go home to look at why, in an attempt to improve? Did you read through books, look at alternative lectures (good chance that your teachers were retarded), etc.? Did you do the problem again and again until you truly understood (baseline measure is: can you explain and solve the problem in front of someone completely ignorant of everything)?

Did you even prepare for class beforehand?

If the answer to those is yes, then maybe some other anon has advice. But I think that isn't the case, as highschool is mostly rote memorisation. Any average person could do well, if they spend a bit of their time. Now idk about HS, but in uni (at least in say an average university STEM program in Germany), the average person would fuck up and fail or at least struggle, if they don't do what I mentioned above.

As for your choice of subject, I think it's mostly reading + being critical and talking about material that gets you far. I sometimes talk like a schizo explaining proofs/debating with invinsible audiences to learn kek.
>t. grad student in maths

Also, it helps to be interested/at least motivate to find interest in what you do. Someone interested carries themselves differently and usually learn subjects well.
>>
>>16297738
If a is small and b is small, a-b ~=0. At local minimums, the rate of changes are 0. Take a moment the small angle approx that you wrote down. Then look at the answer it's supposed to be. Then figure out what logic you shouldve taken to reach that answer, so next time you'll be able to solve another discrepancy issue in the future. Literally ask yourself what the terms should be, and how could it be so that they're equal.
>>
>>16297797
Just some advice from my experience, good luck anon. Anyone can do it, so can (you).
>>
>>16293422
>>16293906
This was a hard problem. Surprised there was no comment by OP after I gave the solution (with no explanation)
>>
>>16297828
How'd you do it?
There's a neat reordering trick to get it quickly here: https://mathoverflow.net/a/1308
>>
>>16297845
So you just copied a wrong answer from mathoverflow while completly ignoring the comment by seba there who gives links to articles that show how this answer is wrong?
>>
>>16297911
I didn't copy anything, but yeah, I ignored it.
>look at my article bro pls
Please point out where the MO answer makes a mistake, and where those articles contradict it. I am asking in good faith.
>>
>>16297965 (Me)
fwiw, the first discrete card-dealing setting is as far as I'm concerned just an illustratory example to show why the bottom transformation is measure-preserving. It'd be no loss of generality to assume d divides m, and even if it didn't I expect the error to go to 0 as m->oo.
At a *very* quick glance one article seems to focus on the discrete case only and the other gives some similar asymptotics.
>>
File: wake up.png (918 KB, 929x1080)
918 KB
918 KB PNG
how do i logically convince someone of a real "conspiracy" without sounding crazy?
>>
>>16297981
First, it must be more than "it looks like this thing"
Then you simply present the evidence.
>>
>>16297804
>Just some advice from my experience, good luck anon. Anyone can do it, so can (you
Alright anon thanks for the tips :)
>>
File: roll.png (18 KB, 956x513)
18 KB
18 KB PNG
A ball (diameter 1/10 meters) rolls down along the curve f(x) = x^x starting from x=1 in the coordinate system where one unit is one meter. What will its maximum acceleration be along the path?
>>
>>16298147
Maximum acceleration would be at the steepest point, though at that point (0,1) the acceleration would be mostly opposite the ball's movement.
>>
What's the best resource for learning statistics from the ground up?
>>
File: IMG_2158.gif (366 KB, 220x124)
366 KB
366 KB GIF
can cats smoke weed?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.