[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: China nuclear.png (496 KB, 909x653)
496 KB
496 KB PNG
>https://www.newscientist.com/article/2440388-chinese-nuclear-reactor-is-completely-meltdown-proof/

How significant is this new progress to the proliferation of nuclear power?
>>
All chinese reactors are meltdown-proof.
Chinese press would never have to report any.
>>
>>16289931
>>16289967
I actually wouldn't be surprised if they were meltdown proof. Even something like fukushima they were decades old reactors and they got hit by a tsunami. All you have to do is keep water on the core.
>>
>>16289974
actually if you really dig into the fukushima case you realise some israeli engineering company literally bolew up the reactor and shut down half of the regulatory pumps and switchgears...
Magna bsp I think it was called
>>
Consider this, the US Navy has several hundred reactor-years of operation under their belt without a single meltdown.
>>
>>16289931
This isn't new, at all.
>>
This sort of reactor is not new. This demonstration is essentially a demonstration that even in the worst possible scenario imaginable, nothing will happen of even the most mild sort. It's like going from a 0.000001% risk with existing Salt Reactors to 0. Bill Gates was even in the news recently for funding a new-build salt reactor. So, I doubt it will do much.

The Thorium reactor projects in China could end up being a very different story in terms of bringing costs down and solving the supply issue if the world ever scaled up nuclear usage. I would also look to this modular reactor project out of North Carolina as well as Gate's own. Though, the project out of North Carolina is looking much less promising than it was maybe thought.
>>
>>16289931
capitalist nuclear reactors are designed to break so the manufacturers can make more money.
>>
File: 411654.jpg (47 KB, 1262x767)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>16289931
>How significant is this new progress to the proliferation of nuclear power?
not much because the greatest hinderance is not the disaster risk, but the cost and what to with all that radioactive waste. Not even rich countries know what to do with it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOWQgLeRM-M
>>
>>16291909
this was/is deliberate sabotage we know since the 60s(?) how to transmute spent nuclear fuel so you cut down the lifetime from a couple thousand/million years to a couple hundreds physicists knew this shit was harmful yet the government still went ahead with this bullshit. No one wants to admit why because then they would have to admit ((who)) it was that sabotaged the German nuclear program and exactly ((who)) it is that has put a complete stop on all nuclear tech in Germany. That affects new promising fusion research as well. In fact a new reactor is being build in experimental Belgium that is going to transmute old fuel together with the french because the German gov refused to fund similar reactor back home despite us having better designs vs the french.
Nuclear waste is a non issue in a well functioning society sadly there are many people who don't like others working peacefully together if it threatens their grip on them.
>>
>>16292499
>In fact a new reactor is being build in experimental Belgium
*new experimental reactor is being build in Belgium
>>
>>16289931
>In other news, China now has technology America invented fifty years ago.
I'm unconvinced that China has ever invented ANYTHING on its own.
>>
>>16291909
Just launch it into space, let the aliens deal with it.
>>
>>16289931
What if a rocket hits it? What if that self-cooling system fails? What if that is nothing but baseless chinese propaganda?
Those are the questions you should have been able to ask yourself.
>>
File: lkhf9lvty3331.png (226 KB, 604x561)
226 KB
226 KB PNG
>>16291855
I hate commie faggots like you wouldn't believe.
>>
>>16289931
I think... I think I've seen this one before.
>>
>>16292552
There's a huge box of graphite "pebble" balls suspended over the reactor. If anything goes wrong, they fall down over the reaction chamber and everyone gets an extra hour in the graphite ball pit.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.