[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_3411.jpg (2.45 MB, 1920x1920)
2.45 MB
2.45 MB JPG
‘why does time move forward but never backward?’

time does move backward but we dont notice it because we can only be conscious when time moves forward.
Time moves at different speeds too but we dont notice it because the ratio of how fast things are happening and how fast we process things stays the same. it sounds like pseudoscience but i swear it makes sense if you think about it

pic unrelated
>>
I'm generally a hater of pseudo-science, but you're right, it does make sense, since time is relative to the frame of reference. If time was changing speeds on a universal scale, it wouldn't affect anything, not even how you percieve it, because all the chemical processes in your brain are happening on the same scale.
>>
>Time moves at different speeds
You're right, not in the ways you'd think tho. Time is a relative thing. it depends on how fast you're moving and how much is the gravitational field both relative to a reference observer. So as you move really fast out stay in a strong gravitational field you're time as measured by me slows down to the point where you will appear to have almost no increase in time. After which singularities appear in special and general relativity. So as far as we know, your time as measured by us will not be negative (reverse time) but rather be zero i.e.. you will appear static to us.
>>
Because entropy.
>>
>>16291345
Space and time are connected. They're one physical dimension called Spacetime
More Space there is more time there is .
And They're being pushed forward by the Big Bang and an unexplained force called called Dark Matter.
Mathematics says with enough gravity you can bend spacetime back upon itself like how you would make a doughnut and go backwards in time in relative to yourself. But would that cause reverse aging, no you're only moving yourself physically backwards through Spacetime
>>
>>16291591
Bullshit pseudoscience.
>>
>>16291345
The reason time moves "forward" and not "backward" is because of entropy.
>>
>>16291345
"forward" is just entropy. natural spread of energy
>>
>>16291591
Sounds like a cult.
>>
>>16291431
Same on the moon, from the earfs perspective?
>>
File: OIG2 (1).jpg (178 KB, 1024x1024)
178 KB
178 KB JPG
>>16291345
>why does time move forward but never backward
even if time were moving backwards, you'd not be aware of it. For all we know, some people might be experiencing time backwards from yourself, and no one will even know about it nor be able to test or prove it, and so we're in the realm of philosophy and not a /sci/ topic.
Off-topic.
Newton's Flaming Laser Sword
>>
>>16291345
the only way we can measure time is through entropy increasing
that's a one-directional action (entropy does not ever decrease with respect to time), so there's only one direction that time flows in as we observe it
of course it's entirely possible time moves backwards in some unobservable way but unfalsifiable arguments aren't really worth discussing (also see, the existence of god)
>>
>>16291599
entropy is a pseudoschientific concept, a crutch to make a flawed theory stand.
>>
>>16291591
Spacetime is a four-dimensional continuum, doofus. And time has properties that space does not have and vice versa.
>>
Time, is flowing like a river. On and on.
>>
>>16292516
If you measure the increase of entropy, your clock will quickly become incorrect. Time is measured via motion of objects. It's not a measure of entropy.
>>
>>16292665
>If you measure the increase of entropy
And how exactly are you going to do that, einstein?
>>
File: 1712880948645595.png (4 KB, 467x535)
4 KB
4 KB PNG
What is the cosmic standard? How do we know if earth time is fast or slow?
>>
>>16292665
maybe if i measured entropy on a local level
if i measure it on a universe level, my clock won't be wrong
of course that's not actually possible so we fall back to pseudoentropic events like >motion of objects
>>
>>16291345
>time
>moving
>>
When are we going back to Venus?
>>
>>16292684
Just put a hotplate against a coldplate in a thermally insulated chamber and measure the temperature change of both plates. So long as the metal used is the same and the initial temps are the same you would be able to reproduce this 'clock' and get similar times. It would be a shitty clock though.
>>
>>16292884
Yeah, yeah, how do you measure the increase of entropy directly? What is your personal entropy, for example? In what units do you measure that imaginary number?
>>
>>16292711
How tf are you going to perform a measurement on the whole fucking universe? You realize that every single Planck unit would need to be measured for this to happen and measurement can change the system via wave-function collapse?
>>
>>16292885
Rate of change in degrees Kelvin. The rate of change would be somewhat consistent among 'clocks'.
>>
>>16291345
Time is a human construct. It is entirely based on perception, unless we see things ungrowing or undying, time will only ever move forwards.
Assuming that time even DID move backwards, light would also be travelling in reverse, you'd never perceive such an event as no light would ever be reflected in that location.

It would be something of a singularity similar to a black hole.
'time' cannot move backwards.
[spoiler]Why is this on /sci/ and not /x/?[/spoiler]
>>
>>16292887
So you cannot measure the entropy, you can only calculate it after you measure the temperature. Is it correct? Do you consider it fair to claim that some entropy even exists? The laws of thermodynamics are shit-tier physics, especially the second and the third.
>>
>>16291345
Time travel is gay and I'm not going to waste my time to explain to you why. For a hint: tachyons.
>>
>>16292915
I mean it's like a hidden 'force' or phenomenon of nature. It's not a substance you can just slap a number on and call it good. The boltzmann constant actually sets the limits of what we can possibly measure (along with other constants).

And I think entropy exists, but only because I think the past exists. The future is nonexistent so any future entropy would be nonexistent.
>>
>>16293087
> hidden
> phenomenon
truly, trolling believers out of churches was not our brightest idea

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.