[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1650467001268.jpg (93 KB, 500x500)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
I'm a bit retarded in the mathematics, so here is a simple question. How would you out-loud pronounce the fraction 7/24 in the context of being asked how long a project would take? The answer would be five days and seven hours but would I say something like.. five days and a seventh of a day, or would I pronounce the fraction differently?
>>
>>16292830
I would say it takes about a week but if you hire me I can do it in precisely 5 days and 7 hours
>>
>>16292830
There is no seventh in the denominator, days divide evenly into 24ths because there are 24 hours in a day.
>>
File: lululululul.jpg (189 KB, 474x474)
189 KB
189 KB JPG
>>16292830
>five days and a seventh of a day
>five days and seven hours
these are not the same thing
7 hours would be about one third of a day
so you'd say "about 5 and a third of a day
(you could round it up to a half of a day to give extra time and convey the message more clearly)
>pronounce the fraction 7/24
seven twenty-fourths [[[ 7/24ths ]]]
>>
>>16292830
your question is oddly phrased.
How long would it take to complete a project? You can specify hours, days, weeks, months, or years, or some combination. The amount of time per day is also important in that if you are working professionally you need to consider standard start and end times, overtime, max time allowed to work, mandatory break time and so on. This you should learn at your place of employment. Did you mean to suggest you would work 24/7 (24 hours per day for seven days straight?), 24 hours in a seven day period, 7 hours in a 24 day period? (if you need to use special equipment or facilities you may only be allotted certain days/times. Just be clear if you are referring to total hours and how many hours per day, days per week and so on. You can also make a table if its complicated. I used to supervise a lot of technical people who belonged to different unions with different time requirements, and there were employee requirements, legal requirements and so on, so it took a good bit of work to ensure the proposal and progress was spelled out and tracked.
>>
>>16292830
If it was going to take more than 5 days I would say 6 days, or maybe 5 1/2 days.
>>
>>16292830
>How would you out-loud pronounce the fraction 7/24
seven twenty-fourths
>>
>>16295314
>seven twenty-fourths
seven twenty-fourths what? The question is "...in the context of being asked how long a project would take?" Seven twenty-fourths days?
>>
File: file.png (41 KB, 501x528)
41 KB
41 KB PNG
>>16295476
Not him, but "Five and seven twenty-fourths of a day."
You could also say (127 hours).
(5x 24 + 7 = 127)
First Anon is right though. Simply say "About one week."
captcha NH440

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.